General Yuzuru Chat

I have several friends asking me about Yuzu and 4A recently LOL. They are not FS fans or Japanese but the news of Yuzu in JNats and the 4A is all over their social media. 

To explain how crazy the 4A is, I showed them Yuzu's 4A attempts and my own super tiny 1A that barely leaves the ice lol. :animated-smileys-cheeky-041:

Asahi Shimbun has started a series of articles "Witnesses of the Legend" for 6 days.

These are paid articles, but you can read some part (with my rough translation)

https://www.asahi.com/rensai/list.html?id=13961396

No. 1  羽生結弦の才能に気づいた最初の指導者 1回転半「なんだ、これは」

The first instructor who noticed Yuzuru Hanyu's talent: Single Axel jump, "What the hell is this?"

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASPDP5H2WPD9UTQP00Z.html?iref=pc_rensai_short_13961396_article_1

羽生結弦のスケート人生は4歳の時、仙台市で始まった。

最初の指導者となったのが、山田真実さん(48)だ。

「仙台市のリンクで結弦のお姉ちゃんを教えていたのですが、その間、リンクサイドでずっと走り回っているやんちゃな子が結弦でした」

「当時は4歳。『そんなに動きたいんだったらスケート教室に入ってみたら』とお母さんと結弦に言ったのが始まりです」

羽生が最初にリンクに入った時のことは今でも忘れられない。

「普通、初めての子はハイハイの姿勢になって、氷に慣れさせてからゆっくり立つのが基本なんです。ただ、彼はそれをぶっ飛ばしてリンクインしました

Yuzuru Hanyu's skating career began at the age of four in Sendai City.

His first instructor was Mami Yamada (48).

"I was teaching Yuzuru's older sister at a rink in Sendai City, and while I was there, the naughty kid running around the rink side all the time was Yuzuru."

"He was four years old at the time,  and I said to him and his mother, 'If you want to move so much, why don't you take skating lessons?"

She still remembers the first time Hanyu walked into the rink.

"Usually, beginners are supposed to crawl and get used to the ice first, and then stand up slowly. But he passed it and went straight into the rink.

No. 2「世界に羽ばたくんだから」 羽生結弦に何度も言い聞かせた名コーチ

"You will compete in the world," a prominent coach repeatedly told Yuzuru Hanyu.

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASPDP5K0NPDBUTQP01M.html?iref=pc_rensai_short_13961396_article_2

羽生結弦にスケーターとしての基礎をたたき込んだのが、都築章一郎さん(83)だ。

小学2年から高校1年までの羽生を指導した。

「とにかく負けず嫌い」それが羽生に対する当時の印象だ。

「練習で、いろいろなものに挑戦させてみました。できないときは普通なら弱音を吐くのに絶対に弱音を吐かなかった」

「けんかでもそう。年上の人とけんかして、負けてもやります。そういうもろもろの生活の中に魂みたいなもの、持って生まれたものがあるのではないかと思いました」

「魂というか、神業ですね。たぶん、ご両親がうまく導かれたのではないかと思います」

都築さんは羽生にジャンプの基礎練習を繰り返させた。

「基礎ができていれば成長する。回転数が多くなっても跳べるんです」羽生は集中力が続くタイプではなかったが、根気よく続けた。

Shoichiro Tsuzuki (83), taught Yuzuru Hanyu the basics of being a skater.

He coached Hanyu during the time from the second grade of elementary school to the first grade of high school.

His impression of Hanyu at the time was that "he just hated to lose."

"I tried to make him try various things in practice. When one couldn't do something, usually whines, but he never did."

"The same goes for fighting. Even with older children, he did fight even if he lost. I thought, in all those things in life, he had something like a soul, something he was born with."

"A soul, or it was rather a miracle, if I call it. I think his parents probably guided him well."

Mr. Tsuzuki made Hanyu practice the basics of jumps repeatedly.

"If you have the basics, you will improve.  You can jump even if the rotations are increased."

Hanyu was not the type of person who could stay focused, but he persevered.

Prologue:

17 minutes ago, CaroSkate said:

I have several friends asking me about Yuzu and 4A recently LOL. They are not FS fans or Japanese but the news of Yuzu in JNats and the 4A is all over their social media. 

To explain how crazy the 4A is, I showed them Yuzu's 4A attempts and my own super tiny 1A that barely leaves the ice lol. :animated-smileys-cheeky-041:

as someone who can only do up to 1T/1S, I am in awe of everyone who can even do single axels LOL. well, at least I can turn to Yuzu for inspiration when I eventually try to get my axel. I mean, if he can throw himself at the ice trying to rotate 4.5 times, I can do the same for a piddly 1.5 rotations

I love the tweet thread by 軒猿の火穂 (nokizaru-no-hiho) in which she shares her reflections on the 2021 Tenchi.  At the end, she had expressed her desire to have this shared with non-Japanese speakers, so I offered to do so here and I received permission to translate her words into English.  However, she requested I explain upfront that these reflections are her own personal views and opinions.   

(PS I would not recommend using google translate as the result is a total word salad!).     

My translation follows below this tweet. 

Preparing for an all-nighter to write about my reflections on Ten-to-Chi-to (Heaven & Earth) performance at Japan Nationals. 
•    Regarding the black obi-belt!  The image conjured up by Uesugi is that of the purity of the white snow of Echigo*, the dark surging waves, and the blackness of the gloomy clouds (*translator's note Echigo: on the northern coast of Japan facing the Japan Sea, well-known for dark seas, rugged mountains and heavy snow)!  By incoroporating the black element, the costume has become ever more like Uesugi Kenshin!
•    The entry into the opening 4A does not have an astonishing speed, but rather he flies into it from complex steps as though he were doing a 2A.  Truly completely out of the norm!

Compared to the quads of Uno and Kagiyama who performed just before, the impression (of his quads) is not accelerating rapidly and jumping explosively but rather holding back the overall speed and executing the delicate quads one after another in a finely controlled manner.  The quads are not the highlight of the program and merely a component of the musical expression, which might be the form of expression that is unique to him. 

•    After landing the 3A + 2T, he reaches his hand in the direction of the eyesight of the judges which is an unusually cool choreography.
•    The moment of rest in the new version of StSq might be the scene where Kenshin sheaths his sword in its scabbard at the conclusion of the Battle of Kawanakajima.
•    From the quiet middle segment towards the dynamic last movement, the choreography builds and builds upon each element into a Crescendo of the final ChSq is an awesome arrangement. 

•    Regarding the last spin, it seems he no longer does the movement of reaching to the heavens after stroking the ground?  But more importantly, did you all see (what he did) after the finishing pose?  He (made the motion of) flinging the blood off the sword, then sheathed it in the scabbard at his waist to end the performance!?  After slashing his enemies, he flicked the blood-soaked sword (in the rite of) purification to end his performance, right? It was so cool that I'm about to die???? 

Regarding the black belt, the color-crested *haori hakama (translator’s note: formal traditional Japanese clothing for men) made for Hanyu's coming of age (age 20) celebration was blue, but the crested haori hakama made at the time he received the National Honor Award was black. Haori with the black crest is also the dress of highest order for Japanese men, so by changing from a blue belt to a black belt with a cross-shaped knot, it seems the costume has been upgraded. Most suitable for a costume to challenge the Olympics.

20 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

Regarding the black belt, the color-crested *haori hakama (translator’s note: formal traditional Japanese clothing for men) made for Hanyu's coming of age (age 20) celebration was blue, but the crested haori hakama made at the time he received the National Honor Award was black. Haori with the black crest is also the dress of highest order for Japanese men, so by changing from a blue belt to a black belt with a cross-shaped knot, it seems the costume has been upgraded. Most suitable for a costume to challenge the Olympics.

And here I thought it was just Yuzu telling everyone who's boss :roll:

Thanks for the translation and 軒猿の火穂 for sharing her thoughts!

46 minutes ago, Yuzuwinnie said:

Yes, he was an essential figure for Yuzu and was his therapist (NAN he is not deceased) he has been retired since the 2018 Olympics (I learned it here) and I still see his gentle and caring face towards Yuzu 

True, and seeing him next to the ring was pleasant, calmimg🙈

22 hours ago, YuzuSkating_IsTheTruth said:

PS: I have to say I love his new costume for LMEY. It cuts a slim and longer look, especially the legs.

Me too. I've resigned to the fact that Yuzu and me will never meet eye to eye regarding his costumes. Not that the flowy, ethereal, cabbage-y costumes didn't work, they are beautiful but often times they make it looked like he has a short torso and mile long legs. In my mind, it's not balanced so I'm not feeling it. But he likes it and feels confident skating in it, who am I to judge. However, my favourite at this end of the spectrum is the Origin costume (both version), he looks so regal & elegant (this contradicts all I said earlier lol but me thinks probably the colour influences my decision).

Now the Tenchi, Seimes costumes of the world (kimono-esque, slim cut suit-y stuff) I really like. They suit him (heh) proportionally better, and he still looks like a tall glass of water in them. He can still embellish the costume as much as he wants and it would not detract from the effortless elegance of the cut. I also really like his Chopin costume. I guess I like them simple? I'm boring like that :lol: 

56 minutes ago, gapil27 said:

Me too. I've resigned to the fact that Yuzu and me will never meet eye to eye regarding his costumes. Not that the flowy, ethereal, cabbage-y costumes didn't work, they are beautiful but often times they make it looked like he has a short torso and mile long legs. In my mind, it's not balanced so I'm not feeling it. But he likes it and feels confident skating in it, who am I to judge. However, my favourite at this end of the spectrum is the Origin costume (both version), he looks so regal & elegant (this contradicts all I said earlier lol but me thinks probably the colour influences my decision).

Now the Tenchi, Seimes costumes of the world (kimono-esque, slim cut suit-y stuff) I really like. They suit him (heh) proportionally better, and he still looks like a tall glass of water in them. He can still embellish the costume as much as he wants and it would not detract from the effortless elegance of the cut. I also really like his Chopin costume. I guess I like them simple? I'm boring like that :lol: 

I think origin costume has a better top cut, right? its more proportionate to his body, it didnt cut short at the waist. Otonal 1.0 was my least favorite post pyeongchang costume or perhaps i should say the least favorite senior costume. Otonal 2.0 was a bit better. comes Rondocapu and its now my 2nd least favorite despite there may be a story to it. it would have been okay if not for the striking similarities with the previous costumes. The choker collar was refreshing but the swanyu neck, color scheme, and middle parts were unrefreshing. It just really didnt feel rondocapu at all. He doesnt have to believe in red but maybe a different style? I saw a pic of the olympic towers from eagle view and the color scheme is exactly like this costume as expected -- it was blue and gold. 

off topic -- every year when a new russian lady became dominant, i keep seeing comments saying she is on par with Yuzu, starting from Zhenya's era. It just made me 
:wut: Like cant they see how short lived these ladies' careers are? And to say Kamila's PCS or jumps are as good as Yuzu or even better just because of some crazy scorings. do they really think a 15 yr old with that amount of experience  comparable to someone with double the skating experience? cant they see these ladies' pcs and goes get capped so early bc the fed knows their career wont be too long to grow anymore? wow the propaganda really brainwash them, doesnt it? at least i can safely assume we wont see those comments after another year or two about her when a new Kamila comes into senior in time for the next olympic. though its gonna be a new russian lady vs Yuzu (lol i can imagine even when every else retires Yuzu will still stand with his two calloused ankles) Russian satelites, please enlighten me is the general russian public really buying into it? is there any part of the audience still reasonable?