General Yuzuru Chat

16 hours ago, tsubasanoyume said:

I'm already in Sochi right now and first of all I went to see Hanyu's medal in Olympic Park :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: It was renewed since I was there in 2019.  :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

hpC--vC80nU.jpg?size=900x1600&quality=96

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

It's really special to me that Yuzu's gold is directly above Alexandre Bilodeau's. Long story short, Bilodeau is good people and his medal win was very emotional. Two good people in a row there. :cri:

Guest Mary_kyo

I was reading some-not-very-nice Japanese articles on Yuzu this morning and I felt there is a pattern to this negative media coverage on him. They usually put someone else on unrealistic high pedestal to humiliate Yuzu, it can be Shohei, Yuma, Nathan, etc. I feel most of them actually come from a group of officials who are very insecure about Yuzu’s achievements. Like an article with bold title of “Yuma is #1 in world standing but Yuzu is #5” when Yuzu isn’t even competing (fair journalism would put Shoma’s #6 there). Or when Japanese media claimed Yuma’s performance in France was on par to Yuzu’s R&J in Nice, which is very ridiculous no matter how I look at that. But there is this trend to them, it feels they want to belittle what Yuzu has achieved: a very memorable crowd pleasing performance in his first Worlds performance, dominating world standings for a long time, receiving People’s Honors Award at such a young age, breaking score barrier of 100, 200, 300. I think one important reason on Yuma’s overscored PCS in SP was to forcefully make him get a higher than 100 score in SP lol. The media still writes salty pages on whether Yuzu deserves to be in the Japan team for Olympics while hinting Shun is more deserving of that spot. Meanwhile, in reality, Yuzu skated after an asthma attack in Worlds to secure Japan’s three slots and Japanese nationals hasn’t happened yet too. I find it annoying when they subtly blame him for his injury and praise those who “take good care of themselves while training”.

And interestingly, I don’t see such negative coverage on Nathan’s flop performance and Vincent (out of all people) winning over him. Figure skating media is very controlled, dishonest and biased. Anyway, successful people always light extreme jealousy fires in pathetic creatures. Nothing new. but so damn childish, immature and insecure in my eyes.:shrug:

Yeah, this is so frustrating. I don’t speak much Japanese but I regularly see a lot of fans complaining about this. Lately almost every day. I also feel there is a pattern. In the past, media hyped Shoma and I remember some articles about the ‘4F is more difficult than 4Lo’ with a picture of Shoma’s massively photoshopped 4F and even some university professor claimed his jumps are bigger than Yuzu’s, or some media ‘borrowed’ some of Yuzu’s big titles and assigned them to Shoma, surely by an accident, riiight? Or various most random stuff such as ‘Yuzu needs to work more on his cross rolls’ by retired skaters. 

However, these attempts to artificially manufacture a star don't work and often are very counterproductive. It's funny that the people involved never learn. 

On a slightly different topic: I saw some tweets talking about the Japanese TV broadcast of the Grand Prix series this season, but I'm not sure if I understood it correctly. Could someone who speaks Japanese please confirm or clarify? I'm curious about the possible implications of Yuzu's withdrawals: 

Spoiler

Is it true that this season, TV Asahi doesn’t broadcast all the Grand Prix events on their terrestrial channel nationwide compared to the past? Some fans on twitter shared this link and using google translate, it looks like most of the regular GP events (Skate America, Italian GP, French GP) were available live only in Kanto area, so to watch it from other areas, one needed to subscribe to a paid channel?  So, the only events available nationwide are short programs (men+women) at Skate Canada, GPF* (men+women) and Rostelecom Cup (right now, the schedule shows only the free programs of men+women but few days ago before Yuzu's withdrawal, it included the short programs as well (screenshot)).

*Moreover, based on it this tweet, it looks like the GPF won’t be broadcasted live on TV Asahi after all, but possibly only some highlights a day later in the morning? If true, it looks like they changed it compared to this after Yuzu's withdrawal. All the GPFs in the recent years, at least the men+women, were broadcasted live, right?  

Also, is it true that the NHK trophy 2021 was broadcasted live on NHK but got poor ratings, especially compared to the seasons when Yuzu participated? That even the peaks in 2021 were lower compared to the averages with Yuzu's participation in 2019 (2021, 2019). 

And lastly, is it true that there are fewer skating magazines being published this season? And apparently, there was something to pre-order on Amazon but it got cancelled right after Yuzu withdrew? 

Too many question, I know, sorry :headdesk:

Guest Mary_kyo
6 hours ago, Saawa said:

Yeah, this is so frustrating. I don’t speak much Japanese but I regularly see a lot of fans complaining about this. Lately almost every day. I also feel there is a pattern. In the past, media hyped Shoma and I remember some articles about the ‘4F is more difficult than 4Lo’ with a picture of Shoma’s massively photoshopped 4F and even some university professor claimed his jumps are bigger than Yuzu’s, or some media ‘borrowed’ some of Yuzu’s big titles and assigned them to Shoma, surely by an accident, riiight? Or various most random stuff such as ‘Yuzu needs to work more on his cross rolls’ by retired skaters. 

However, these attempts to artificially manufacture a star don't work and often are very counterproductive. It's funny that the people involved never learn. 

On a slightly different topic: I saw some tweets talking about the Japanese TV broadcast of the Grand Prix series this season, but I'm not sure if I understood it correctly. Could someone who speaks Japanese please confirm or clarify? I'm curious about the possible implications of Yuzu's withdrawals: 

Yes, there is this trend but I personally get sad when I remember how this whole dirty politicking game somehow killed Shoma’s growth as skater in his golden years of career. I was never a fan of his skating (I’m also aware of his problematic history, etc) but it was so hard to watch him crumbling after Olympics. I’m very happy to see he is in better place now. I just find it funny how Angelo Dolfini used to criticize Shoma’s techniques in the past but he changed tone as soon as he joined Lambiel’s team lmao. I saw a part of Dolfini’s recent talk this year and I realized how limited they can truly reveal/express once they become part of the “system”. Meanwhile Yuzu, an active skater, casually writes a thesis criticizing current scoring system and proposing a solution for it. He doesn’t care about getting lowballed and isolated by this system, does he

I don’t speak much Japanese but my limited understanding is that:

• they will only broadcast highlights of GPF later and no live broadcasting. This is interesting because it means the demand and interest is low, even in the Olympics season.
  • NHK rating was indeed low, both this year and last year.
  • I didn’t know about skating magazines lol interesting. 

Honestly, it’s not a surprise that Yuzu’s skating always gather high viewership and his withdrawal affecting it. I believe his absence affects the revenue of all FS related industries but who knows to what extent. Beijing literally begging him to participate in Olympics show that his impact is fairly huge, especially in the men’s discipline. But I think what is mostly affecting FS and speeding its decline is the scoring corruption and the mere emphasis on the number of the quads. Both ruin the sports for the casual audience.