General Yuzuru Chat

On 11/19/2021 at 3:56 PM, liv said:

While Ohtani did amazing things both as a hitter and a pitcher, the one blip on his record is that his team didn't make the playoffs (which is obviously the team's fault, not his). If they had, i"m sure the accolades would've been even greater since he would have been considered the player that dragged an average team further than they should have gone, but very rarely does a single player carry an entire team, at least not in baseball. I know that he has expressed the desire to be on a winning team, and his contract is close to being over, so they have to make some moves in the off season to improve. Many better teams would pay big bucks for him.

Baseball is the very definition of a team sport. One player can only do so much when everyone else around them isn't very good. It isn't basketball where one player can dominate a game and literally carry a whole ass team on their back. The Angels had the best player in the universe in Mike Trout (9x All-Star, 3x AL MVP and 4 second place finishes) for a decade now and they've only been to the playoffs once. In which they were swept.

Their pitching outside of Shohei was a disaster where he'd give you 6 innings of 2-run ball and the bullpen would come in and promptly shit the bed. Trout and Rendon were injured for most of the season which meant Shohei was literally the Angels' offense and opposing pitchers can either pitch to him without worrying that he'd do too much damage because no one was on base or they intentionally walk him because no one else in the line up can do damage.

They signed Syndergaard this week, which, yeah, okay, it's a start. Thor has been a good pitcher. When healthy. He hasn't pitched in 2 years. Which honestly, that just makes him the perfect Angel because the Angels pitching staff (and really, the whole ass team) suffers injury after injury every damn season. It is painful to watch the Angels piss away Trout and Shohei's greatness.

On 11/19/2021 at 3:35 PM, Geo1 said:

Like Yuzu, Shohei had his own white wall when he was awarded the AL MVP award.

LOL I made the same comment when I saw his interview.

More Shohei things because I love this man but I'll spoiler it lest this become a Shohei forum instead:

Spoiler

He looks just like his dad!

Hi everyone!!

Crossposting here because VERY IMPORTANT :dancingpooh: Let's get ready to celebrate Yuzu's Birthday!!!

hace 3 minutos , Yuzu_legend said:

Dear fellow satellites:satellite: and friends :tumblr_inline_nhkf0oKdhx1qid2nw:

Yuzu’s Birthday is approaching and we would like to start preparing the celebration! :dancingpooh: This year we have planned two parts:

1) 24h "Happy birthday wishes event" and giveaways 

Starting at 0:00am JST on the 7th of December (Beware: 4pm CET, 6th of December), you have 24 hours to participate in the #BdayWishesForYuzu event via:

• Planet Hanyu by posting your wish in this special thread (maximal text length: 100 words). It would be nice if you could include a photo, video or fanart too, however it's not mandatory. OR

• E-mail by sending us a birthday wish for Yuzu on [email protected] including a photo, video or fanart to go with it. OR

• Twitter by tweeting with your wish and a photo, video or gif; using the hashtag #BdayWishesForYuzu AND tag @theplanethanyu

Please refrain from reposting fanart and fan photography if not yours!

:626gdau:GIVEAWAYS: If you'd like to enter the giveaway, please add 🎁🍄 emojis at the end of your wish!

2) Special YuzuSkatingParty 

On Sunday 12th of December at 23:00 pm JST (3pm CET) we’ll be back with a special edition of our YuzuSkatingParty to celebrate Yuzu’s birthday. We'll enjoy his performances, show a selection of the received wishes during the 24h #BdayWishesForYuzu period and announce the giveaway winners!

Join us via twitch.tv/planethanyu or planethanyu.com/tv

We are also looking for help for our team! If you have edit skills, please send a dm!

Let’s get our wishes ready and celebrate Yuzu’s birthday together!

YuzuSkatingParty team :balloons-smiley:

I won't pretend to have followed Shohei Ohtani's career, but his achievements are marvelous, and the comparisons with Yuzu seem quite apt. I can't help thinking, though, of how different the sports are, especially in the risks and rewards for those who compete in them. 

Obviously, the financial rewards of baseball are, if you'll pardon the pun, in a whole different league. I'm sure Yuzu is quite comfortable financially, but even a moderately successful major league baseball player will easily eclipse him in earnings -- let alone a megastar like Ohtani. 

Then there's the fact that, at 26, Ohtani is only now launching into what can be a long career, while Yuzu is considered remarkable for having stayed in the game this long. That just highlights how figure skating brutalizes the athletes' bodies, despite its image as a "soft" sport. Beautiful and soft are not the same thing (just ask any dancer!). But the prejudice persists. 

Gymnastics is the closest equivalent I can think of in terms of the physical demands, but at least the surfaces gymnasts fall on are padded! I really can't imagine the mental fortitude it takes to attempt a jump 1,000 times without success, knowing that a high percentage of those attempts will result in a painful fall. 

May the skating gods (and the doctors and physical therapists) protect and preserve Yuzu long enough to reach his dreams. 

:ganba:

6 hours ago, buttercup said:

Baseball is the very definition of a team sport. One player cannot do the same when everyone else is not very good. It's not in basketball where one player can dominate a game and literally carry a whole team of ass on their back. The Angels had the best player in Mike Trout's universe (9x All-Star, 3x AL MVP and 4 second places) for a decade and they've only been to the playoffs once . In which they were swept up.

Leur lancer à l'extérieur de Shohei était un désastre où il vous donnait 6 manches de balle de 2 points et l'enclos des releveurs entrait et foutait rapidement le lit. Trout et Rendon ont été blessés pendant la majeure partie de la saison, ce qui signifie que Shohei était littéralement l'offensive des Angels et les lanceurs adverses peuvent soit lui lancer sans craindre qu'il ne fasse trop de dégâts parce que personne n'était sur la base ou le promener intentionnellement parce que non. un autre dans la file d'attente peut faire des dégâts.

Ils ont signé Syndergaard cette semaine, ce qui, oui, d'accord, c'est un début. Thor a été un bon lanceur. Quand en bonne santé . Il n'a pas lancé depuis 2 ans. Ce qui, honnêtement, fait de lui l'Ange parfait parce que le personnel des lanceurs des Anges (et vraiment, toute l'équipe du cul) subit blessure après blessure chaque saison. Il est douloureux de voir les anges faire chier Trout et la grandeur de Shohei.

LOL J'ai fait le même commentaire quand j'ai vu son interview.

Plus de choses Shohei parce que j'aime cet homme mais je vais le spoiler de peur que cela ne devienne un forum Shohei à la place :

Masquer le contenu

Il ressemble à son père !

I know absolutely nothing about baseball and went to see and he does have a French baseball federation, but anyway, Shohei is a force of nature and as talented as Yuzu and at the start of the video at the stop, he has the same determined and focused gaze as Yuzu's and Yuzu next to him is tiny and let's not talk about the weight ..... And it's clear that he looks like his father. 

The Tokyo Tower has a false air of resemblance to the Eiffel Tower in Paris ...... !!!!!

1 hour ago, ZuCritter said:

Je ne prétendrai pas avoir suivi la carrière de Shohei Ohtani, mais ses réalisations sont merveilleuses, et les comparaisons avec Yuzu semblent tout à fait appropriées. Je ne peux m'empêcher de penser, cependant, à quel point les sports sont différents, en particulier en ce qui concerne les risques et les récompenses pour ceux qui y participent. 

De toute évidence, les récompenses financières du baseball sont, si vous me permettez le jeu de mots, dans une toute autre ligue. Je suis sûr que Yuzu est assez à l'aise financièrement, mais même un joueur de baseball des ligues majeures à succès modéré l'éclipsera facilement en termes de revenus – sans parler d'une mégastar comme Ohtani. 

Then there's the fact that at 26, Ohtani is only now embarking on what may be a long career, while Yuzu is considered notable for having stayed in the game for so long. This only underscores how figure skating brutalizes athlete bodies, despite its image as a “soft” sport. Beautiful and soft are not the same (ask any dancer!). But the prejudice persists. 

Gymnastics is the closest equivalent I can think of in terms of physical demands, but at least the surfaces the gymnasts fall on are padded! I really can't imagine the mental courage it takes to attempt a 1,000-time jump without success, knowing that a high percentage of those attempts will result in a painful fall. 

May the gods of skating (along with doctors and physiotherapists) protect and preserve Yuzu long enough for him to achieve his dreams. 

: gamba:

YES it is clear that the players in team sport are VERY well paid and here is a comparison with the footballers of league 1 and their salaries and, already, per day = daily is HUGE https://votresalaire.fr/salaire / vip / sport-football-players :eek:  and it is very good to compare baseball and skating (individual sport) and I find out that Shohei starts at 26 years old and Yuzu, at the same age, is an "old / veteran" and I know that we, have admired their programs perfect and behind the curtain, the reality of learning is something else and all skaters' bodies go to the extreme of resistance and, as it is written, they fall on very hard and, of course, it You need a hardened steel mind YES and the same for classical dancers (I saw a report where 1 showed his feet full of red bruises and deformation of the toes with the points and surround their toes with cotton ..... ) and Yuzu who has ice packs on one knee and ankles (and surely others too) 

And  : iagree: with your last sentence, but I think of Kikuchi san, and even if he is retired, can be of great help to all the caregivers, he who has known Yuzu so well for a very long time 

1 hour ago, ZuCritter said:

I really can't imagine the mental fortitude it takes to attempt a jump 1,000 times without success, knowing that a high percentage of those attempts will result in a painful fall.

THIS. I cringe each time a skater falls during competition. I fell in septembre while jogging on slippery steep terrain :rolleye0008: and was subsequently immobile for nine days. Since I am a Fanyu, I really had no reason to complain about one single fall in years. Which was not even on ice notabene :headslap:.

Kudos to every skater going into those jumps and standing up again! Might it be the Axel for Yuzu or any other jump for his competitors. Ice is always slippery. Watching beautiful landings, I tend to forget that.

figure skating is definitely one of those sports where everything is fine...until it isn't. Like, even as a lifelong, but very novice-level, skater as I am, you can go out on the ice a thousand times with no problem, and on the thousand and first, one tiny moment of inattention, one unlucky step, and you could fall and break your wrist or crack your head and get a concussion, just from doing plain old stroking, and very slowly at that. Someone skating at Yuzu's speed and doing the things he does on the ice regularly? It's a high-wire act, make no mistake about it.

Guest Mary_kyo

Feeling nostalgic but this performance never fails to amaze me. What a raw passionate talent he was, what a performance from a barely 17 years old kid.

1 hour ago, Mary_kyo said:

A feeling of nostalgia but this performance never fails to amaze me. What a raw passionate talent he was, what a performance by a boy barely 17 years old.

This program (and I think I wrote it quite a bit) always balances my heart, because here we feel a young Yuzu who puts all his passion / strength into it and really pulls out his guts (French expression) and we Really guess the future HYPER champion who will become  :heartpound:and that emotion at the end and Nanami's tears and I also watched everything the posting? put in video from 2011 and of course it has a difference (1 year less it shows) and Nanami refined this program for 2012 and we saw the result :peace2:  and let's imagine that he goes to the worlds 2022 in Montpellier (France too) and the start of his 1st bronze medal has his 1st French worlds (corrected me if I make a mistake) and it would be the chance that all 2 start in France and finish ? in France too ..... and I watched his 2014 world gala on the same program and there it is really maturity and more strength (2 years more that feels) and Olympic champion 

This afternoon, I saw the gala of internationals from France in Grenoble live on TV = :agree:  

Okay so I know that this may belong in the IDF but I have to RAGE a bit. Perhaps I'm crazy but I'm just so mad right now...

The Yuzu erasure this season is REAL you guys.  I don't mean in that in the sense of him not competing and generally being absent but in the NARRATIVE sense. Like there is no narrative coming from the Americans, Russians, or the Japanese media/federations that are building any sort of road or support of Yuzu competing or winning ANYTHING this season. In their eyes he's done and over. 

What made me write this was just watching the NBC IDF coverage and hearing the commentary of Johnny, Tara, and Tanith. The praise in which they lavish Yuma in is almost ridiculous. I like Yuma and think he has a lot of promise but he's not *there* yet.  His performance at the IDF was not his best and yet the commentary was trying SO HARD to convince us he was stunning and the OGM dark horse (and sure maybe). But it's as if they're watching Nathan skate, the praise is endless! If Yuzu was skating all they would talk about is how it compares to Nathan, no such endless compliments for him. 

Which leads me to another thing... Johnny during Yuma's skate commented "Yuma is bringing a new era of Japanese male dominance" but like... where did it go??? Yuzu has won the last 2 Olympics and won his GP assignments in 2018 & 2019. Have you forgotten? He hasn't left the Worlds podium since 2014 and has the respect of the skating world.

I get that Yuma is fresh blood and will likely succeed Yuzu but the way they are pushing this narrative that now that Yuzu is out for the GP he no longer exists or is relevant is infuriating. I'd argue a lot of the current figure skating audience exists today because of Yuzu. I just find it cruel how the sport he lives so much is erasing him and diminishing his achievements.