General Yuzuru Chat

14 hours ago, KendallKlaire said:

I was seeing this on Twitter and it makes me wonder how does the JSF select its judges? Have they actively selected judges who judge Yuzu harshly and overestimate Americans? 

It doesn't look good to them and makes the idea that Japan and America have an "deal" for the Olympic medals not too far-fetched. In the men's event, America wins gold with an outscore and Japan's chosen one gets silver (I don't mind Yuma but he had GOE / PCs goodies last week). 

Barring a disaster this weekend, if Vincent gets ridiculous scores and Shoma gets tricked by spinning calls (both Shoma AND Vincent are having issues) then something is definitely going on. 

:wave:  ALL the fanyus: I have some news about the start of NHK and Shoma is 1st in the SP  :peace2: , followed by Vincent Z and Junhawa and I put a link in French that I could not have translated into English: sorry and there is no French present 

https://www.lefigaro.fr/sports/sports-d-hiver/patinage-artistique-shoma-uno-en-tete-du-trophee-nhk-en-l-absence-de-yuzuru-hanyu-20211112   and at the end it is marked: "in the absence of Yuzuru Hanyu and I could only have an extract from his program

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Shoma+Uno+NHK+trophy++2021+%3a+SP++youtube&docid=13909886395452&mid=B5D0A8C229E2CDE519FFB5D0A8C229E2CDEetail=D&FORM=docid  

EUREKA, I just found it and the comments are all positive: fluid / adorable / artistic perfect / AMAZING / well done and Stéphane is congratulated too and Shoma's smile at the end says it all and the note and SB  :agree:   and a thought for Yuzu and here is Nam's skateboard and it is clearly stated in the comments that his "white legend" is a tribute to Yuzu and Javi 

On 11/11/2021 at 8:53 PM, Pammi said:

In the conference, Max, like Yuzuru himself, shows real passion for the sport/art, courage, and Truth.

I really loved it, the integration of cultural, historical, artistic, and athletic strands, and the evidence of Yuzuru's insight, foresight, and innovation. 

He's so very important, if only the ISU and federations could SEEEEEE what we and other experts (including Plushy!) can see.

I  gasped aloud when Max openly said Yuzuru is the only person who should run the sport - of course I agree, but to HEAR it said openly in that forum was something else!

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

Just watched it and it had some really interesting insights. Especially the junior stuff. Many things are known, but it was good to hear him speak so boldly about the issues, hope that many more will follow so that maybe something will change for the better:meditationf:.

Not sure if its because of the translation, but on some parts he talked a bit too much like he knows what Yuzu thinks/thought (not content from interviews where Yuzu said things himself), but otherwise a great video. A bit strange that it has "only" 26.000 clicks, as it has english and japanese subs.

And somehow my brain got into some thoughts after seeing this video and stuck to one I can't get seem to get rid of.

I imagine what would happen if suddenly "someone" would bring a quint jump; unannounced. It is probably not possible during a program, because the components must be known in advance, but the thought is somehow quite appealing. But during warm-up or training, that would be something. Everyone is skating and suddenly "someone" lands a quint jump and skates on like nothing happened.

Interesting thought, but my brain is stuck on one thing: would one even know how to evaluate it at the moment? Is there a plan for this?

8 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

They probably wouldn't notice. G&G in pairs doing a quad twist in the 80s has had little recognition for it.

In the 80s, I followed (and I still watch) the G&G which were sublime  :2thumbsup: and marvelous couple, in addition: but it is on which program (or several?) PLEASE 

50 minutes ago, Yuzuwinnie said:

In the 80s, I followed (and I still watch) the G&G which were sublime  :2thumbsup: and marvelous couple, in addition: but it is on which program (or several?) PLEASE 

The answer to your question

1987 World Figure Skating Championships, Pairs' Long Program see 

53 minutes ago, Yuzuwinnie said:

However the first to perform a quad twist in pairs were Russian pair team Marina Cherkasova and Sergei Shakhrai at the European Championship in 1977.

2 hours ago, rodica said:

However, the first to perform a quad twist in pairs were  Russian team Marina Cherkasova and Sergei Shakhrai at the European Championship in 1977. 

Ah yes, indeed : but I have not found the video and  :thankssign: for G & G, I saw and BOUHHHHH notes, even 6.0 richly deserved and I saw 5.6 > :(

21 hours ago, Faithyu said:

And somehow my brain got into some thoughts after seeing this video and stuck to one I can't get seem to get rid of.

I imagine what would happen if suddenly "someone" would bring a quint jump; unannounced. It is probably not possible during a program, because the components must be known in advance, but the thought is somehow quite appealing. But during warm-up or training, that would be something. Everyone is skating and suddenly "someone" lands a quint jump and skates on like nothing happened.

Interesting thought, but my brain is stuck on one thing: would one even know how to evaluate it at the moment? Is there a plan for this?

The issue with doing a quint isn’t that it would have to be announced ahead of time - remember Javi’s last Euros where he didn’t submit any planned program content ahead of time?

The problem is that there is no base value assigned to quint jumps in the current judging system, so there’s just no way to assign one a score.

IIRC, Shoma said once in an interview that the ISU said they’d consider assigning values for quints if someone sent them a video of a clean one done off harness.

On 11/11/2021 at 7:20 PM, Anni said:

Today 2:00 pm on youtube :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

It is greatly appreciated that professionals in other fields come together to share Yuzu’s story and his positive influences on humanity, spreading good words of his artistic works in Figure Skating.

I particularly enjoyed Max’s sharing of his first impressions/views of Yuzu when he was a Junior skater. Indeed, he has a good eye for supreme talent even in those early days of Yuzu’s competitive career. I see and admire Max as one of the rare Sports commentator who truly loves the sport of Figure Skating, is courageous to take risks  in speaking out against the way it is being governed.

I couldn’t agree more with his views on the sport needing a genius like Yuzu (eg. his skating reflects the true definition of figure skating and through his research/thesis, suggest using AI for scoring to help address the difficulties judges faced when tasked to evaluate 12 elements ( plus GOEs) in 4 mins, rate 5 components of the prog, transition steps, skating skills, interpretation and entering scores in realtime) to save it from rotting as its core is diseased with corruption and biasedness. The way it is run now makes a mockery of the sport, along with the athletes, coaches and rest of the stakeholders (including fans/supporters/casual viewers).

Many of us experience what Chiara Ghidini remarked that Yuzu’s performances are empowering, therapeutic and healing.

While watching this video during his absence at the NHK and as videos/pics of Yuzu competing over the years in various competitions being played out/  flashing by, a sudden wave of sadness overcame me. It felt like I’ve travelled in time to a future where Yuzu no longer competes. I felt momentarily lost and empty:crybaby:

Lastly, kudos to all involved firstly in proposing this tribute, then organising the conference, translating (into English and Japanese) and making this video available for all to view.