General Yuzuru Chat

11 hours ago, Geo1 said:

Here is a video of Brian’s interview. His words directly out of his mouth.

https://olympics.com/pt/video/exclusive-brian-orser-on-hanyu-yuzuru-s-injury-quest-for-quad-axel

Edit: I just realized that this is not the same interview as the one quoted by @Saawa; however, we can understand exactly what he has said with respect to Yuzu’s injury.

I don't know the details and how serious the injury is, but I think it's pretty bad => This part is a little weird to me.

Like, how does he know it is bad if Yuzu doesn't give him the details? 

PS: This is not to poke at Brian. I just thought the wording is a bit odd. This little detail can be due to many reasons tho. It happens. 

1 hour ago, Melodie said:

I don't know the details and how serious the injury is, but I think it's pretty bad => This part is a little weird to me.

PS: This is not to poke at Brian. I just thought the wording is a bit odd. This little detail can be due to many reasons tho. It happens. 

Perhaps Brian believes that Yuzu would not choose to withdraw because of a minor injury?

1 hour ago, Melodie said:

This is a translation of a translation. So I’d take it with a tiny pinch of salt. 

26 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

Perhaps Brian believes that Yuzu would not choose to withdraw because of a minor injury?

It can be. But I wouldn't read much into that. As @Fay said, this is a translation of a translation. Anything can sound a bit off if it's translated that many times. 

14 minutes ago, Fay said:

Someone found a bit of the original about Medvedeva, turned out it wasn’t half as bad as what they translated. The level of translation in most Russian media is disastrous. 

Well, it happens in any country I guess? We have our own share of articles with oddly translated comments from non-Japanese speakers or footage of foreign skaters and coaches with questionable voiceovers. I think we will have new footage of Brian with voiceover next week during or after NHK for sure.

4 hours ago, sweetwater said:

That was my interpretation of his words as well. Remember we're talking about the guy who skated Origin on a badly sprained/injured ankle against doctor recommendations at CoR 2018. He's either learned to be cautious :disapproval:, or it's fairly serious. 

4 hours ago, Melodie said:

Imagine how disappointing I am to hear Machida saying something like this. Does he know that Yuzu has already pretty much rotated a 5T but still struggles with a 4A? 

I just...don't understand why some people don't even pretend to maintain a united front regarding support for Yuzu (which, for the record, is their absolute best men's skater still), like...what is even the use for them to do that.... 😒😒😒🙄🙄🤦🏾💀🔥

6 hours ago, Melodie said:

Imagine how disappointing I am to hear Machida saying something like this. Does he know that Yuzu has already pretty much rotated a 5T but still struggles with a 4A? 

It's a quote from a five-minute-long mini TV program series about muscles hosted by an exercise physiologist, and Tatsuki joined the program as a guest who was an ex-figure skater. It is not a program like the ones that analyze sports based on data. They have casual talk sharing their experiences, knowledge, and insights regarding how muscles work, and sometimes muscular models demonstrate what the host/guest explained in words. There were some interesting discussions here and there, but as a whole, it wasn't deep. Not sure if it was the chemistry/lack of it between them or the way their conversation got edited.

The quote is from the very end of the last episode. The exercise physiologist mentioned the evolution of jumps naming quint and quad Axel and asked Tatsuki if the jump was the most burdening element for skaters' muscles. Tatsuki responded that, in his opinion, jumps were taxing for the gastrocnemius muscle the most. Then he started explaining the difficulties in increasing the amount of rotation, like, when you focus too much on leaping up, you can't rotate fast, but when you focus too much on rotating, you can't leap high, so skaters have to find their best balance. Then suddenly comes the quote. Like Brian's comments shared on the last few pages, the flow of the story is a bit strange. So I suspect his words were edited.

That said, it was frustrating to hear this comment because, firstly, he didn't explain why he thought 4A was possible while the quints were not. Secondly, I knew he had known the risks and the difficulty of continuing practicing to master new jumps when he decided to retire at the age of 25, judging that he would not be able to master multiple types of quads. Thirdly, I don't understand why the director thought it was cool to edit their conversation this way.

But I personally don't think this comment and the program deserve much attention, time, and energy in time like this. There are many others who admire Yuzu's courage and continuous efforts and support him warmly.