General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Bonne nouvelle!

Olympic Parisienne Walkways a atteint 9,9 millions de vues et est à moins de 100K de la barre des 10M ! :dancingpooh:

Our whole fanyus planet will not be surprised by this number  :peek: , will it and I have read all of you, on its 4A? maybe at NHK? and as they say : "wait and see" and I would watch its programs with or without and, as always, it will be PERFECT and like all of you, I expect this famous jump, but like everyone else, without injury, good Yuzu is a ++++ warrior and, really, I think he will go to the 2022 Olympics, because he worked "seriously" for this jump and it will be his last Olympics and I wish him all the best and that he have fun :peace2:  

4 hours ago, Henni147 said:

But is it really just me who got much calmer and relaxed AFTER the 4A news?

I would be honestly more worried if he didn't plan to land it at NHK, because that would mean:

a) The 4A is nowhere near ready, perhaps not even in sight

b) Something went wrong in the preparations and he's forced to skip it

c) He has changed his priorities again for whatever reason

In fact, I am really happy now, because chances are good that he has made significant progress in practice.

I think, we can expect Yuzu to be heavily pregnant with little giant Quaxel-chan by now :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

Joking aside, I expect him to attempt the 4A in his first practice session on Thursday and maybe in the FS run-through as well, because:

• He needs to check the ice conditions and adapt the jump to reduce the risk of injury to a minimum
  • It might take too much energy out of him to test the jump on competition day, and Thursday is the only practice day without comps
  • Landing the 4A successfully in practice would give him some confidence and an opportunity for the audience to stomach the first shock/excitement
  • Attempting it in the run-through would be a good test to maintain his focus for the next element (regardless of success or failure)

If he aims for a good performance, it's crucial for him to keep his concentration after the 4A. In that sense, it might be actually beneficial for him that the crowd is not allowed to scream. Clapping alone is less distracting.

Another big plus to go for the 4A here at NHK:

No jetleg or long exhausting travelling and it's the first comp of the season, so it's the best chance for him to be in the best possible physical condition. It will be more and more difficult and hence more dangerous as the season progresses.

Whatever happens, I wish him a successful competition and cross my fingers that he stays happy and healthy :cheer:

Fun fact:

In his career, Yuzu has landed all solo quad jumps successfully at first attempt with positive GOE:

• first 4T attempt at the 2010 NHK Trophy with 1.29 GOE
  • first 4S attempt at the 2012 Finlandia Trophy with 0.83 GOE
  • first 4Lo attempt at the 2016 Autumn Classic with 0.80 GOE
  • first 4Lz attempt at the 2017 Rostelecom Cup with 1.14 GOE

Except the 2017 Rostelecom Cup, all events were his first competition of the season.

Put me in the "He's going for it? Whew! What a relief!" club. It's been torture all these months (years?), knowing that he's training it and yet not having more than a few crumbs to suggest that he's going to achieve it. This sounds different -- like he's at least very, very close if not all the way to a semi-stable 4A. 

At the same time, I put this in the same category as his declaring that he was ready to skate in PC, which we now know was part of his strategy to boost his own confidence in the face of facts to the contrary. Maybe he's just on the edge of landing Nessie -- remember, he didn't land a 4lo until the last attempt in the last practice before he flew to Korea. And he couldn't land the 4s in the warmup before the SP. But he landed it a few minutes later when it counted. 

Which is to say, Yuzu works in mysterious ways his wonders to produce. Whatever the case in this instance, I believe we'll see Nessie sooner rather than later, and I'm relieved and thrilled. 

One more note: I, too, think he'll attempt it in the Thursday practice. He needs all the practice he can get, and he needs to test the ice. As for the presence of other skaters, he made how many attempts in Torino and Stockholm with other skaters on the ice? 

May the madness begin ... 

2 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

. So, if he still has the motivation and drive to get himself a third Olympic gold medal,

That's the big "if". Who knows if he has motivation for that or not. He's been hinting towards the 'not' side lately, IMO. But then,  I can only read his words in translation,  so I may be wrong. I would LOVE to see him with a third gold. 

14 hours ago, Melodie said:

Are we even sure he will still go to the Olys if he lands the 4A to his own standards in NHK? He might not even go to CoR or Nats

I think he'll go to Beijing out of loyalty to Japan but he might skip CoR and thus the GPF since the US just upgraded Russia to the highest risk travel category because of the number of Covid cases there.

6 hours ago, Henni147 said:

I don't know, but looking at fans' reactions to his latest announcement, the most fitting term is probably "yonkaiten supernova".

But is it really just me who got much calmer and relaxed AFTER the 4A news?

I would be honestly more worried if he didn't plan to land it at NHK, because that would mean:

a) The 4A is nowhere near ready, perhaps not even in sight

b) Something went wrong in the preparations and he's forced to skip it

c) He has changed his priorities again for whatever reason

In fact, I am really happy now, because chances are good that he has made significant progress in practice.

I think, we can expect Yuzu to be heavily pregnant with little giant Quaxel-chan by now :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

Joking aside, I expect him to attempt the 4A in his first practice session on Thursday and maybe in the FS run-through as well, because:

• He needs to check the ice conditions and adapt the jump to reduce the risk of injury to a minimum
  • It might take too much energy out of him to test the jump on competition day, and Thursday is the only practice day without comps
  • Landing the 4A successfully in practice would give him some confidence and an opportunity for the audience to stomach the first shock/excitement
  • Attempting it in the run-through would be a good test to maintain his focus for the next element (regardless of success or failure)

If he aims for a good performance, it's crucial for him to keep his concentration after the 4A. In that sense, it might be actually beneficial for him that the crowd is not allowed to scream. Clapping alone is less distracting.

Another big plus to go for the 4A here at NHK:

No jetleg or long exhausting travelling and it's the first comp of the season, so it's the best chance for him to be in the best possible physical condition. It will be more and more difficult and hence more dangerous as the season progresses.

Whatever happens, I wish hi a successful competition and cross my fingers that he stays happy and healthy :cheer:

Fun fact:

In his career, Yuzu has landed all solo quad jumps successfully at first attempt with positive GOE:

• first 4T attempt at the 2010 NHK Trophy with 1.29 GOE
  • first 4S attempt at the 2012 Finlandia Trophy with 0.83 GOE
  • first 4Lo attempt at the 2016 Autumn Classic with 0.80 GOE
  • first 4Lz attempt at the 2017 Rostelecom Cup with 1.14 GOE

Except the 2017 Rostelecom Cup, all events were his first competition of the season.

I agree with you:  his calm and confident demeanor indicates that his success rate with 4A has gone up sufficiently that it is close to competition ready.  I think he has matured and changed his approach to training and practices completely this past year, due in part to the forced isolation during the pandemic.  Having fallen to the depths of despair and clawed himself back up again, he has re-emerged with a new sense of control and equanimity.  In particular, he has learned to take better care of himself and protect himself from injury - that wild boy who threw himself through multiple quads and ended up with lisfranc injury in 2015/2016 season is long gone.  The way he fell during the 4A practices at WTT showed how he fell always in a rolling manner, protecting his ankles and joints from direct jarring impact.  (As a horse rider, I felt some connection in how one has to learn to roll when you fall to distribute the impact across maximum surface area, like in Aiki-do, Judo, or any other sports that involves potential damaging fall.  You will end up with multiple bruises across your body, but that is safer than crashing on your joints. )  

In many ways I am glad he has opted to remain in Sendai to train, and be supported by his family.  In his latest book, he talks about how important his family has been for his mental health, being once again just that (annoying) younger brother and bouncing and rolling around at home.  In Japanese, we have the word Amae (甘え)which doesn't have an English equivalent but literally it means to be pampered and spoiled, yet it packs much deeper layers of emotional content than the English term, without the negative undertone.  The term implies being protected, cared for, cossetted and hugged, a beloved child.  And the term "甘えん坊"  (Amaen-bou) comes to mind, which is like that pampered child but without the English connotation of negativity like a privileged child of overly indulgent parents.  Instead, the term is more appropriately used to describe that sweet kitty or puppy whose every move elicits guffs of joy and rapt admiration, or a mother holding her crying baby with softness.   In the book he talks about being able to be that child again, and I think how healing it must be to be at home and comforted and surrounded by all that love.  Now that he has enough knowledge, experience and self-control in his training, he can afford to be "alone" in the training rink, when in fact he is not at all alone in his life in Sendai...  Well, these are my thoughts and speculations, but he seems to be happy and at peace back in Sendai.    

15 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

That's the big "if". Who knows if he has motivation for that or not. He's been hinting towards the 'not' side lately, IMO. But then,  I can only read his words in translation,  so I may be wrong. I would LOVE to see him with a third gold. 

As far as I know, he never said explicitly whether he wants to compete at the Olympics or not. He only said that his goal is to land the 4A and that's what he's focusing on.

I think it's quite smart of him to take it step by step and focus on his his own goals. Even if he does intend to compete at the Olympics, it's a good choice to not declare it out loud and create unnecessary pressure and media hype. There will be enough media hype as the season goes on anyway.

It's also possible that Yuzu himself hasn't decided yet if he wants to take up that challenge or not. He might want to wait and see how this season progresses for him. Either way, I think the fact that he chose to create a new SP is probably a sign that he - at the very least - wants to give himself as many options as possible.

We'll have to wait and see what happens. Whatever happens, there will be exciting times ahead. :smiley-happy093:

And whatever Yuzu chooses to do, I believe he knows that we'll always support him no matter what. We just want him to be happy and healthy. :smiley-angelic001:

Since when him announcing 4A to be his (sole) goal translated into he'd only compete once? (...in which he'd successfully land it and then stop competing altogether??)

Like, yes, Yuzu owes anyone (and that includes us his fans) nothing, he should do as he wishes, but I am more of the opinion that he'd like go a little further (after unleashing Nessie), even now in what is likely the late stage of his competitive career. At this point, I think competition is still what fires him the most (dodgy judging aside), so I don't see him being completely done with competing once he lands Nessie once (I mean, if I were him, I'd land Nessie in a few more comps after NHK Trophy (...and will that include the Olympics? Who knows...).)

As for his Olympics participation, I see his comments on it so far as a way to fend off the hype and expectation from him (especially in the case of him actually participating). He managed to win under enormous pressure at Pyeongchang, but even that was a herculean task for him (and I definitely understand it if he tries to shake the expectation off of him if he decides to have a third go).

All in all, I am also part of the people who are (somewhat) relieved to hear his Nessie announcement — just let her come, Yuzu... :devil3:

:003::003::003:

On 11/1/2021 at 9:27 PM, rockstaryuzu said:

But this is not going to be good at all for my own nerves...like seriously,  Yuzu, what the heck...thanks for two weeks warning so I can book my defibrillator in advance, but still what the heck...

Have to say, now I'm kind of glad that the time difference to japan is so shitty for me. I probably can't/wont watch it live and I think my nerves will be thanking me like crazy, because I'm really not sure if I can handle the tension.

But I will wait and see what happens in the trainings and depending on that my nerves might have to suffer.

Edit:

Great, and now I'm freaking out because I just noticed that I couldn't do my math right and its a perfect watchable time for me.

:panic::panic::panic:..................goodbye my nerves, I need to start meditating asap.......

5 hours ago, Umebachi said:

but he seems to be happy and at peace back in Sendai.    

That is always what we want, for Yuzuru to be happy. 

I love your description of the type of love he says his family envelop him in, that makes ME feel happy!! :67638860:

57 minutes ago, Pammi said:

That is always what we want, for Yuzuru to be happy. 

I love your description of the type of love he says his family envelop him in, that makes ME feel happy!! :67638860:

This sounds like Yuzu is very lucky, then. Most adults, after they grow up and move away from home,  never get that chance to return home and feel like they did when they were younger and with their families to look after them.  The saying " You can't go home again, " basically means that even if you go back home, things will have changed and the feeling  will never be like it was.  How lucky he is, to be able to feel that again.  I think most of us remember that feeling of being happy in our homes as kids with our parents and siblings (provided, of course, that you lived in a happy home) and it is rare to feel quite like that again once you have your own life with burdens/responsibilities etc.. How nice for him and his family to have this, esp since he left home pretty young and many things were missed. Many athletes grow up quite quickly, so getting wrapped in a happy and warm blanket by his family has probably been very good for his soul.

7 hours ago, ZuCritter said:

...One more note: I, too, think he'll attempt it in the Thursday practice. He needs all the practice he can get, and he needs to test the ice. As for the presence of other skaters, he made how many attempts in Torino and Stockholm with other skaters on the ice? 

May the madness begin ... 

Other skaters on the ice might not be a problem because some will be frozen in shock. :lol:

It's great to see Yuzu looking calm and confident, saying that he wants to do 4A. That means he's in good shape, and that's the most important thing. So happy that he has such a wonderful family to support him!

7 hours ago, Umebachi said:

I agree with you:  his calm and confident demeanor indicates that his success rate with 4A has gone up sufficiently that it is close to competition ready.  I think he has matured and changed his approach to training and practices completely this past year, due in part to the forced isolation during the pandemic.  Having fallen to the depths of despair and clawed himself back up again, he has re-emerged with a new sense of control and equanimity.  In particular, he has learned to take better care of himself and protect himself from injury - that wild boy who threw himself through multiple quads and ended up with lisfranc injury in 2015/2016 season is long gone.  The way he fell during the 4A practices at WTT showed how he fell always in a rolling manner, protecting his ankles and joints from direct jarring impact.  (As a horse rider, I felt some connection in how one has to learn to roll when you fall to distribute the impact across maximum surface area, like in Aiki-do, Judo, or any other sports that involves potential damaging fall.  You will end up with multiple bruises across your body, but that is safer than crashing on your joints. )  

In many ways I am glad he has opted to remain in Sendai to train, and be supported by his family.  In his latest book, he talks about how important his family has been for his mental health, being once again just that (annoying) younger brother and bouncing and rolling around at home.  In Japanese, we have the word Amae (甘え)which doesn't have an English equivalent but literally it means to be pampered and spoiled, yet it packs much deeper layers of emotional content than the English term, without the negative undertone.  The term implies being protected, cared for, cossetted and hugged, a beloved child.  And the term "甘えん坊"  (Amaen-bou) comes to mind, which is like that pampered child but without the English connotation of negativity like a privileged child of overly indulgent parents.  Instead, the term is more appropriately used to describe that sweet kitty or puppy whose every move elicits guffs of joy and rapt admiration, or a mother holding her crying baby with softness.   In the book he talks about being able to be that child again, and I think how healing it must be to be at home and comforted and surrounded by all that love.  Now that he has enough knowledge, experience and self-control in his training, he can afford to be "alone" in the training rink, when in fact he is not at all alone in his life in Sendai...  Well, these are my thoughts and speculations, but he seems to be happy and at peace back in Sendai.    

I agree that he made the best decision to stay close to his family, his home (even his room), in this very hard time in general because of global pandemic and specifically because of his professional development. This whole year I have been going through the harshest, most demanding and at the same time most insulting experiences of my professional life. It has been 24/7 work, no rest, and handling so much stress. On top of that it is almost 8 years that I haven't seen my family and I tell you with certainty that it is like going through hell all by yourself. He made absolutely the best decision to stay in Sendai, if there is any possibility of him reaching his professional goals it will happen because of his family's support. He is a wise guy and on top of that he is a good guy. He will reap the reward. Go Yuzu, our ray of hope :grouphug:

4 hours ago, snowy said:

I agree that he made the best decision to stay close to his family, his home (even his room), in this very hard time in general because of global pandemic and specifically because of his professional development. This whole year I have been going through the harshest, most demanding and at the same time most insulting experiences of my professional life. It has been 24/7 work, no rest, and handling so much stress. On top of that it is almost 8 years that I haven't seen my family and I tell you with certainty that it is like going through hell all by yourself. He made absolutely the best decision to stay in Sendai, if there is any possibility of him reaching his professional goals it will happen because of his family's support. He is a wise guy and on top of that he is a good guy. He will reap the reward. Go Yuzu, our ray of hope :grouphug:

Group hug!   :grouphug2:  Please take care of yourself and be comforted knowing that Yuzu will be performing in order to send his healing touch to people like you and others living under tremendous stress and distress.