General Yuzuru Chat

50 minutes ago, birnasan said:

Automatic translation of the Shae-Lynn Bourne interview in the Team Japan Fanbook, made with OCR and deepL. I don't speak Japanese and sadly this is not a proper translation. But I enjoyed the interview very much, it is so deep and insightful. Hopefully we will get a better translation soon.

Reveal hidden contents

Shae-Lynn Bourne Interview (from Team Japan Fanbook 2021)

2014-15 シーズンから羽生のフリープログラムを手がけ、数々の名プログラムを生み出してきたシェイ=リーンボーンさん。昨季はコロナ禍の困難な状況のなか、フリー『天と地と』を振り付けた。歴代最高傑作ともいわれる名プログラムは、いかにして誕生したのか。

制作の舞台裏、そして羽生への情しみない賛辞をお聞きした。

Shae-Lynn Bourne has been working on Hanyu's FS programs since the 2014-15 season, and has created many great programs. Last season, she choreographed the FS "Heaven and Earth" under the difficult circumstances of the Corona crisis. How was this masterpiece, which is said to be one of the greatest programs of all time, created? We asked her about the process behind the scenes, and her heartfelt admiration for Hanyu.

ー今回は、羽生結弦選手のフリープログラム天と地と』についてお話をうかがいたいと思います。昨シーズン、羽生選手はこのプログラムを試合で3度滑りましたが、シーズンを通してどのようにご覧になりましたか? 

シェイ=リーン(以下、シェイ) まずパンデミックに見舞われた昨季は、間違いなく厳しいシーズンだったと思います。そのなかで、安全を確保したうえで、彼がコンペティションに臨めたことは本当に幸運なことでした。いまのこの状況は、すべてのスケーターにとって、とてつもなく大きなチャレンジですが、そのなかで彼らが大会に臨む姿には、心の底から感動しました。観客がいない、あるいは人数が制限されて、オーディエンスから充分な反応を受け取れないなかで演技をするというのは、これまでの状況とはまったく別物です。それができない現在の状況では、スケーターたちは、より自分自身を深く掘り下げて、自分の中からエネルギー源を引き出す、という新しいやり方を習得する必要があったわけで、その意味でも、ユヅはこの状況下で素晴らしいパフォーマンスをやってのけたと感じています。自分が語りかけたいストーリーをエレメンッを通して伝え、人々と共有することができていました。相当なチャレンジだったはずです。

Q: We would like to talk about Yuzuru Hanyu's FS program "Heaven and Earth". Last season, Hanyu skated this program three times in competitions, how did you see it throughout the season? 

Shae-Lynn: First of all, I think last season was definitely a tough one because of the pandemic. We are very lucky that the skaters were able to compete safely in that situation. This situation is a tremendous challenge for all skaters, but I was really impressed with the way they handled their competitions. Performing without an audience, or with a limited number of people, and not getting enough response from the audience, is a completely different situation than in the past. In this situation, skaters had to learn a new way of digging deeper into themselves and drawing energy from within, and I feel that Yuzu did a great job under this situation. He was able to tell the story he wanted to tell and share it with the people through his elements. It must have been quite a challenge.

ー通常であれば、練習で完成させたプログラムを試合で演じることで、課題を見つけ、それを克服し、さらに熟成させていくものだと思いますが、その機会がないことは振付師の立場からしても難しいことだったのでは?

シェイシーズンにどれだけの大会に出るかというのはとても重要な点です。場数を踏めば踏むほど、プログラムの質を上げていくことができます。それがないということは、いったん振り出しに戻って課題をあぶり出したり、ここにもうちょっとスパイスを加えて、といったことを見つけることがとても難しくなります。ですが、今回はその環境のなかで、ユヅと一緒にやってきたことで、素晴らしい過程を体験することができました。実際に二人が同じ場所にいなくても、私は彼がそばにいるということを実感できたのです。私が滑ったものを撮影して彼に送り、彼がそれを見ながら練習するところを、ライブで見ていました。ときには深夜、夜通し滑っていたこともあります。そのとき、私は自分自身がリンクサイドにいるような感覚で彼の滑りを見ていました。物理的な隔たりがあるなかで、可能な方法をつくり出すという、面白い体験であるとも感じることができました。

Q: Normally, when you perform a program that is perfected in practice in a competition, you would probably find some issues, work on them, and further refine the program, but not having that opportunity must have been difficult for you as a choreographer.

Shae: The quantity of competitions you go to in a season is very important. The more competitions you do, the better your programme will become. If you don't have that, it's very difficult to look at yourself and see what you need to work on, what you need to change, what you need to improve. But in this circumstances, working together with Yuzu has been a great process. Even though we were not actually in the same place, I could feel his presence with me. I would film myself skating and send it to him, and he would practice with it, watching it on screen live. Sometimes we skated late at night, all night long. I felt as if I was at the rink side watching him. I also found it an interesting experience to create a possible way despite the physical distance between us.

ーそういった過程を経ての、最初の発表の場である全日本でのパーフェクトな演技は、驚異的でした。

シェイ本当に素晴らしかったです! 彼が「この曲で滑りたい」という強い信念を持てる音楽を選んだことも非常に重要だったと思います。プログラムに込めたストーリー、使用する音楽、そして、いま世界中が厳しい試練を強いられているパンデミックの状況ー。とこうしたことを目の当たりにして、おそらく彼は、自分のパフォーマンスでファンの方たちを少しでも元気づけることができたら、と感じていた。それと同時に、一人でトレーニングすることへのモチベーションを得ていたと思います。彼は一人で練習していました。彼にとっては初めての経験です。サポートしてくれるコーチが身近にいないというのはとてもハードなことです。でも、彼は見事にそれをやってみせました。この経験が、彼をさらに成長させたと感じます。コーチがいない状況のなか、彼はとてもうまくやっていましたし、しっかり集中して、身を入れてやることができていた。葛藤は誰にもあるのだと思います。若いときにだって眠れない夜がある。要は、自分自身に対してどういう言葉をかけてあげられるかです。すべては彼の内側にあったものであり、彼の演技を見たとき、「ああ、彼には表現したいもの、伝えたいことがたくさんあるのだな」と実感することができました。

Q: After all that, his perfect performance at the first competition, at Nationals, was phenomenal.

Shae: It was really great! I think it was very important that he chose a music with which he had a strong feeling of "I would love to skate to this music". The story behind the programme, the choice of music and the current pandemic situation that the world is going through - all these things made him feel that he could do something to encourage his fans with his performance. At the same time, I think he was motivated by training alone. He had to train by himself. It was a new experience for him. It's very hard not to have a coach around to support you. But he did it very well. I feel that this experience has helped him to grow even more. He did very well without a coach and he was able to concentrate and focus on what he was doing. I think we all have our struggles. Especially when you are young, you have sleepless nights. The key is what you can say to yourself. It was all inside him, and when I saw his performance, I realised that he had a lot to express, a lot to say.

ー羽生選手がこの曲を提案されたときは、すでにご本人の中にプログラムの構想はかなり出来上がっていたのですか?

シェイ彼が自ら曲を選んだ時点で、彼の頭の中にはプログラムの構想が描かれていて、やりたいことも明確になっています。今回も、音楽の編集が終わるころには、どの部分にどのエレメンツを入れたいかということが明確になっていました。たとえば4回転ジャンプについては、彼自身が、その前後にどのくらいのスペースが必要かを把握しています。息継ぎのタイミングなどもあるので、ジャンプは的確な位置に収める必要がある。なので、まずはエレメンツについて話し合いました。そして、それぞれのエレメンツッがリンク上のどの場所で実施されるかといったパターン図を確認しました。それから彼は、この曲で描かれている主人公・上杉謙信のキャラクターやストーリーについて話してくれました。それはかなり深いストーリーだったのですが、それを私が理解し、彼がプログラムに込めようとしている信念を知った瞬間、私の中からインスピレーションが湧き上がってきました。このフィーリングを得られたのは、やはり私が彼のことをよく知っていて、同じリンクの上にいなくてもスピリットを身近に感じられたからだと思います。彼になりきって、よく言うところの「彼の靴を履いて」、彼の存在を感じながらリンクに上がったことで、どんどん動きのアイデアも湧いてきました。私の振り付けが出来上がったあとは、すべてのパートについて、二人で話し合いました。いくつかの動きの部分では、2~3種類のオプションを用意しました。私がやってみてよかった動きが、彼にフィットするとは限らないので、彼の身体に最も合った動きを見つける、という部分にはじっくり時間をかける必要がありました。試行錯誤を繰り返した部分です。その点では、私たちが同じ場所にいないがゆえの難しさもあったのですが、私がいくつかのバリエーションを提案すると、たいてい彼はすぐにどれがいちばんフィットするかを見極めます。もちろん、ジャンプに入りやすいものを選ぶ、ということもあります。それから、私がいつも素晴らしいと感じるのは、彼は4回転ジャンプやトリプルアクセルもきちんと跳んで練習するところです。

Q: When Hanyu first suggested this music, did he already have a pretty good idea of what he wanted to do?

Shae: When he chose the music himself, he already had an idea of the programme in his mind and what he wanted to do. Again, by the time he finished editing the music, he had a clear idea of which elements he wanted to put in which parts. For example, for a quad, he knows how much room he needs before and after the jump. The jumps need to be in the right place, because of the timing of the breath and so on. So we discussed the elements first. Then we went through a drawing of the pattern, where each element would be placed on the rink. Then he told me about the character and story of Uesugi Kenshin, the main character in the music. It was quite a deep story, but as soon as I understood it and knew the message he was trying to put into the programme, I felt inspired. I think I got this feeling because I knew him so well and I felt close to his spirit even though we were not on the same rink. Being in his shoes, as we say, and feeling his presence on the rink, gave me more and more ideas for the movements. After I had finished my choreography, we discussed all the parts together. For some of the movements, we had two or three different options. We had to spend a lot of time on the part of finding the best movements for his body, because the movements that worked for me did not always work for him. It was a lot of trial and error. It was difficult because we weren't in the same place, but I would suggest a few variations and he would usually decide straight away which one was the best fit. Of course, it's also a case of choosing the one that makes the jump more comfortable. Also, what I always admire is that he does not hesitate to practice quads and triple Axels properly.

ー振り付けのときから4回転ジャンプを跳んでいるのですか?

シェイ  ええ。たとえば、「冒頭の3つのジャンプまでを振り付ける」という場合、4回転ジャンプをすべて跳んで、その振り付けで安定して跳べるかどうかを確認するのです。これをやゃるスケーターは多くはありません。振り付けのときは振り付けだけを覚えて、ジャンプは後で練習する、というのが普通です。でも彼は、最初からその部分をしっかり確認したいと思っている。呼吸をするかのようにジャンプが跳べるのか、という点です。振り付ける側にとっても、エレメンツがうまくフィットするのかどうかが、すぐにわかるのはありがたいことです。なぜなら、振り付けの作業は、素晴らしい作品をつくり上げることだけではなく、スケーターが快適に演技できるということが、なにより大切だからです。その意味でも、彼のやり方はとても素晴らしいと感じます。

Q: Has he been jumping quads from the beginning of the choreography?

Shae: Yes. For example, if you are going to choreograph the first three jumps, you have to jump all those quads and see if you can jump comfortably with that choreography. Not many skaters do this. When it comes to choreography, they usually just learn the choreography and include the jumps later. But he wants to make sure from the very beginning that he can jump like he breathes. For the choreographer, it's nice to know right away that the elements will fit well together. This is because the choreographer's job is not only to create a great programme, but also to make the skater feel comfortable. In this sense, I feel that his method is very good.

ーそれは体力的にも非常に厳しいことですよね。

シェイ  そのとおりです。通常、長いシーズンを終えたスケーターは、張り詰めたものから解放されて、4回転のような最上級のジャンプを跳べるコンディションではないですからね(笑)。身体への要求も非常に厳しいものです。よほどの覚悟がなければ、状態を維持するのは難しいでしょう。その点でも、彼のプログラムづくりに対する姿勢を見る気がするのです。プログラムをつくるときは、完全なフィジカルの状態にしておくことで、エレメンツが見事にフィットした作品ができるということを、彼はわかっている。そして、実際にそれを実践するために、さらに努力して身体をつくるんです。彼は本当に努力家ですから。

Q: That must be very demanding physically.

Shae: That's right. Usually, after a long season, skaters are not in a condition to jump the maximum jumps, like quads, because they are tired (laughs). The stress on the body is also very high. If you're not determined, it's difficult to stay in the good shape. That's also how I understand his commitment to the programme. He knows that when you make a programme, you have to be in a perfect physical shape, so that you can create a programme where the elements fit together beautifully. And he works hard to build up his body so that he can actually do that. He's a real hard worker.

ー羽生選手は、自身が表現したい確固とした世界があって、それをエレメンツを用いて表現していく、というような感じがします。

シェイ  彼は全体のパッケージというものを非常に重要視するスケーターですね。偉大なスケーターがそうであるように、エレメンッだけでも、音楽や表現の解釈だけでもなく、絶妙なバランスをとって、すべてをプログラムの中に織り込んでいく、という感じです。彼は、物理的にひとつのエレメンツから次のエレメンツに移るのにどれほどの時間が必要かを正確に把握しているので、そのつなぎの部分を非常に大切にしています。エレメンツと同じくらい、そこへ向かうための最初のステップ、次のステップ、ひとつひとつの呼吸まで大切にしている。それが彼です。そして、彼にとって、それはとても意味のあること。プログラムに組み込まれた要素のすべてが、あたかもそれが当たり前のように巧みに融合しているのは、彼がそこに重点を置いているからです。

Q: It seems to me that Hanyu has a precise idea of what he wants to express, and then he uses his elements to express it.

Shae: He's a skater who places a lot of importance on the whole package. It's not just the elements, not just the interpretation of the music or the expression, but it's a delicate balance, incorporating everything into the program, like all the great skaters do. He knows exactly how much time it takes to physically move from one element to the next, so he places great importance on these connecting parts. As much as he cares about the elements, he also cares about each and every step, and every breath that he needs. That's him. And to him, it means a lot. All of the elements in the program are masterfully blended together as if they were a natural part of the program because that's what he wants.

ーこのプログラムのストーリーについて、羽生選手はどんな思いを込めていたのでしょうか?

シェイ  このプログラムで、彼が最も好んでいる部分は、彼自身と主人公の上杉謙信がリンクする点を感じることだと思います。どのスケーターにとっても同じですが、スケートシューズを履いたときは、まるで俳優になったかのように、自分の中にある真実を見っけ、それをありのままに表現することが必要になります。その点で、彼は音楽だけでなく、この曲の背景にあるストーリー自体にも惹かれるものを感じていたのだと思います。闘いの場面から始まるこのプログラムは、どんどん自分自身を振り返る方向へと進んでいきます。その部分は彼のキャリアにも通じています。あらゆるコンペティションは闘いであり、アイスリンクにたった一人で立つことも、闘いです。そして、彼は闘いを愛している。闘うことで奮い立ち、生命がみなぎる。彼にとって闘うことは喜びでもあります。でも、そこには常に、大きなチャレンジも付随する。ですから、このストーリーには、そうした彼のこれまでの入生を振り返る意味も込められています。そして、また力をたくわえて、次の闘いに挑む。その影には、常に良い時と悪い時があります。けれど、それも含めたすべてが彼の人生です。つらい経験をしたときに、どうやって這い上がり、蘇るか。そこには、常に彼自身だけでなく、ファンへの思いがあります。彼を見守り続けているファン、そしてサポートしている家族の存在が。彼は自分一人のためにやっているのではなく、彼にそれを可能にさせるためのエネルギーをくれている人たちのためにやっている。だからこそ、彼にとって、この曲で滑ることが、それほど意味のあるものになっているのです。

Q: What did Hanyu have in mind about the story of this program?

Shae: I think his favorite part of this program is the feeling of the connection between himself and the main character, Kenshin Uesugi. It's the same for any skater, but when you put on your skating shoes, it's as if you're an actor, and you need to find your inner truth and express it as it is. In this respect, I think he was attracted not only to the music but also to the story behind the music itself. The program begins with a scene of battle and moves more and more towards self-reflection. This part of the program is closely connected to his career. Every competition is a battle, and standing alone on the ice rink is also a battle. And he loves the fight. It inspires him and gives him life. For him, fighting is also a joy. But there is always a big hardship attached to it. So, this story is meant to be a look back at his life so far. And then, with renewed spirit and strength, he is ready to take on the next challenge. In his past, there have always been good times and bad times. But all of it is his life, including those times. How does he manage to crawl up and recover from his painful experiences? There is always the thought of not only himself but also his fans. The fans who continue to support him, and his family who always supports him. He is not doing this for just himself, but for the people who are giving him the energy to make it possible. That's why skating to this music means so much to him.

ー自分の中の葛藤と向き合う術を習得しているということ?

シェイ  そうですね。それが年齢を重ねることの良さでもあります。経験から学べることは本当に多いですから。自分が経験したことは、生きていくうえで、多くの助けになってくれます。それに、問題にぶち当たったときこそ、自分が向上するときです。難題にぶち当たったり、困難な時期を経験することは、そこから這い上がってさらに成長するためのワンダフルなチャンスですからね! そして、その先で成功したときに、心の底から嬉しいと感じることができる。自分が何を乗り越えてたどり着いたか、どんなに頑張ってきたかをわかっているからです。ユヅが長年にわたって特別な存在である理由も、そのあたりにあると思います。彼は数々の偉大な功績を残したあとも、継続的に素晴らしいパフォーマンスを生み出し続けています。毎回、すべてが完壁というわけではありませんが、魂のこもった演技を見せてくれる。人々の記憶に残る演技です。ずっと記憶に留めて、ときどき思い返す。そのような体験を、彼は人々に与えてくれているのです。ひとつの次元を超えた域に到達したスケーターからのみ、人々はそれを感じることができるのです。

Q: Do you mean that he has mastered the process of dealing with his own inner conflicts?

Shae: Exactly. That's the beauty of getting older. Because there is so much you can learn from your experiences. What you've been through helps you a lot in life. And when you face a problem, that's when you improve as a person. It's a great opportunity to overcome difficulties and to grow from them! And when you succeed in getting there, you can feel happy from the bottom of your heart. Because you know what you've overcome to get there and how hard you've worked. I think that's part of the reason why Yuzuru has been so extraordinary for so many years. Even after all his great achievements, he continues to produce great performances. Not everything is perfect every time, but he always gives a soulful performance. They are performances that people will remember. People will remember it for a long time and think back to it from time to time. That's the kind of feeling that he gives to people. You can only feel it from a skater who has reached a level beyond himself.

ープログラムの振り付けについても教えてください。冒頭で手をクロスする動作がありますが、これは何を表わしているのですか?

シェイ  あれは、闘いに挑む準備が整ったことを示すための、私なりの解釈です。「いざ、攻撃に出るぞ!」と、あのポーズで彼自身が示しているところです。「これから闘いが始まる」ということを、見ている者たちに知らせる合図、といった感じでしょうか。自分の身を盾で守り、これから攻め入る。と同時に、「自信」も表わしています。冒頭から、彼は敵に向かってまっすぐに攻め込んでいくわけですから。

Q: Can you tell us more about the choreography of the programme? At the beginning of the piece there is a hand crossing gesture, what does this mean?

Shae: That's my way of showing that he is ready for the battle. "Now I am going to attack!" That's what he is saying to himself in that pose. A signal to the viewer that the battle is about to begin. He has protected himself with his shield and is now ready to attack. At the same time, he is expressing his confidence. From the very beginning, he is going straight towards the enemy.

ーステップシークエンスの途中で、両手を天に差し伸べるポーズがあります。

シェイステップシークエンスの途中で両手を上げるところは、片手で刀を持ち、別の手で刃を触っています。そのあと、刀を抱えたまま柔らかく動く。あたかも舞を舞っているかのように。このときのステップの意味は、闘いの最中ではあるのですが、舞のような、そう、「闘いの舞」のような、美しさを伴った闘いを表現しています。よく映画などでも、闘いのシーンがスローモーションで描かれたりしますが、そこには剣士たちの卓越した技や芸術性が見られます。それは優れたスケーターにも通じていて、技術が高ければ高いほど、スケーティングも美しさを増していきます。同じように、優れた戦士は、技術が卓越していて、身体の使い方を知り尽くしている。そして、動きのひとつひとつに存在感がある。攻撃のときだけでなく、守りのときもです。それを踊りで表現しました。両手を上げる場面は自由を表現しています。次のポーズは、その自由を語歌した状態であっても闘いの時がくれば一瞬で戦闘モードに入れる、ということを表わしています。そして、緩めた瞬間は、降参したことを表現しています。すべて頭で考えてやっているのではなく、身体が知っていて、それに従って動いている、という感じです。頭でコントロールできることを超越した部分ですね。それがあのフットワークのアイデアでした。

Q: In the middle of the step sequence, there is a pose where he reaches his hands to the sky.

Shae: In the middle of the step sequence, when he raises his hands, he holds the sword with one hand and touches the blade with the other hand. After that, he moves softly with the sword in his hand. It is as if he is actually dancing. The meaning of this moment is that we are in the middle of a battle, but it is a battle with beauty, like a dance, like a "battle dance". In movies, we often see fight scenes in slow motion, showing the great mastery and artistry of the swordsmen. The same can be said of a good skater: the better the technique, the more beautiful the skating. In the same way, a good warrior has a mastery of technique and knows how to use his body. They have a strong presence in every movement. Not only in attack, but also in defence. That's what I tried to express in this choreography. The scene where he raises his hands is an expression of freedom. The next pose shows that even in this state of freedom, he can go into battle mode at any moment. A moment of loosening would mean surrender. This is not something that is done with the mind, it is something that the body knows and does. It's a part of him that transcends what he can control with his head. That was the idea behind the footwork.

ーラストの決めポーズでもふたたび両手を上げますが、この意味は?

シェイこれは、まさに「天と地」を表現しています。リンク、つまり地にはしっかりと足が着いていて、そして両手は天へと差し伸べられる。天の光に向かって昇華していくようなイメージです。魂と大地への気づき。人智を超えた上空の世界。リンクに着いた足は大地に、伸ばした手の先は天へと向かっています。

Q: In the last pose, he raises his hands again, what does this mean?

Shay: It's a true expression of "Heaven and Earth". The feet are firmly attached to the rink, the earth, and the hands are stretched out to the sky. It is an image of ascending towards the light of Heaven. Awareness of the Spirit and the Earth. The world above, beyond human knowledge. The feet on the rink are reaching for the Earth, and the outstretched hands are reaching for the Heaven.

ー羽生選手は、「天と地の間に自分がいる」ということを語っていましたが、まさにそのとおりですね。

シェイそうですね、それを全身全霊で表現しています。私たちの存在は、単に肉体だけでなく、魂を伴ったものなのです。これは彼にとって精神性を表現するプログラムになったと思います。ときに意識の外側に飛び出していくような。ときに内観し、ときに外側へと解き放つ。肉体から魂へと変化していくような………。

Q: Hanyu said that he is between Heaven and Earth, and that's exactly what you are describing.

Shae: Yes, that is what he expresses with his whole body and mind. Our existence is not just physical, but also spiritual. I think this has become for him a programme of expressing spirituality. Sometimes it's like stepping out of consciousness. Sometimes you look inwards, sometimes you let go outwards. It's like a transformation from the body to the spirit...

ー長年、羽生選手のキャリアをご覧になってきたシェイ=リーンさんにとって、羽生選手がキャリアのこの時点で、上杉謙信という人物の人生に自身を投影させたことに、重要な意味があると感じていらっしゃいますか?

シェイ  まさにそう感じますね。これまで一緒にやってきたなかで、彼自身が選んだ曲は、その時点での自身の状態を深く投影したものでした。そのときの精神状態であったり、自分自身や自分のスケーティングについてどう感じているか、ということであったり。「自分は何をやるのか」「なぜそれをやるのか」というのは自分自身への普遍的な問いかけですが、これまでのプログラムすべてが、そのときの彼の状態を表わしたものでした。今回、彼が自ら選んだ曲について、私に送ってくれたメールを読んだとき、私は思わず涙が出そうになりました。なぜなら、彼ははっきりといまの状況を見つめていて、自分の言葉にじっくり時間をかけて耳を傾け、感じ取っていることがわかったからです。このパンデミックで、多くの人が自分自身を内観したり、自分が人生において何をしているのか、ということをえたりする時間を得たと思思います。彼にとってもそれは同じで、彼の決断には、それが象微されていました。静かな、落ち着いた状況のなかで、自分自身の心の声を聞き、呼吸を意識して、そのことで彼自身がひとまわり成長して、パッと花開き、より視界が開けたような感じ。自分の根底にある、素の感情に基づいて行動したとき、物事は自動的にうまくいくものです。誰かに「これをやれ」と言われたからやるのではなく、自分で「必要だ」と感じたからやる。彼の決断はそこから来たものなんだな、ということがメッセージから感じられました。そして、そうした気持ちから起こす行動というのは、常に素晴らしい結果を生むのです。

Q: As a long-time viewer of Hanyu's career, Shae-Lynn, do you feel that it is meaningful that Hanyu, at this point in his career, has identified himself with the life of Uesugi Kenshin?

Shae: That's exactly how I feel. Throughout the years we've been working together, the music that he has chosen has always been a deep reflection of his own state of mind at that particular time. It's about his state of mind, how he feels about himself and his skating. "What do I do?" and "Why do I do it?" are universal questions to ask yourself, and all of his previous programmes have been an expression of his state of mind at that time. When I read his email to me about his choice of music, I was moved to tears. Because I knew that he was looking at the situation clearly and that he was taking the time to listen and to feel himself. I think this pandemic has given many people time to look inside themselves and see what they are doing in their lives. It was the same for him, and his decision was based on that. In a quiet, calm situation, listening to his own heart and being aware of himself, it made him grow and blossom and expand his mind. When you do things based on your deepest, most genuine feelings, things automatically fall into place. You don't do things because someone tells you to do them, but because you feel you have to. That's where his decision came from, I could feel it in his message. And the action that comes from such a feeling always has a great result.

ー彼にとっての闘いとは、自分自身との闘いや、後を追ってくる若い選手たちとの闘い、ファンのための闘いなど、さまざまなものを意味しているのでしょうか?

シェイそうですね。リンクに入ったときの、ありとあらゆる状況のなかでの闘い。彼には自分に課したスタンダードがあり、常に自分に課すハードルの高さを上げていくタイプの人です。逆に、そうでなければ、ここまで続けてはこられなかったでしょうしね。彼は気を緩めてしまうタイプではありませんから(笑)。そこにはもちろん、若いスケーターたちの出現という刺激もあります。彼らと闘っていくには、自分のハードルを上げていかなくてはならないという自覚も彼は持っている。そして日々、彼自身と闘っています。毎日のスケーティングで、それと向き合っているのです。彼がどんどん基準値を上げているのは、ジャンプに限らず、芸術的表現の部分、感情表現の部分、そしてそれらを融合させること。これは相当難しいことだと思います。なぜなら、彼が現在こなしているエレメンツは、どれも身体的な要求が非常に厳しいものだからです。彼ほど多くの種類の4回転ジャンプにトライしているスケーターはそれほど多くなく、ごく一部に限られます。ものすごいエネルギーを必要としますし、芸術面とテクニカル面のバランスをとるというのは、容易なことではありません。すべてのエレメンツをこなすには、エネルギーをセーブする必要がありますから。その点に関して、彼は非常に高い基準を設定していると思いますね。動きのひとつひとつが意味のあるものであり、全体的にまとまりがあり、あらゆる要素を網羅したものであること、それこそが優れたパフォーマンスであるということを、彼は知っているからです。

Q: Does fighting mean a lot of different things to him: fighting against himself, fighting against the younger guys who are chasing him, fighting for his fans?

Shae: That's right. When he enters the rink, he fights in every possible way. He has his own standards and he is the kind of person who always pushes himself to a higher level. On the other hand, if he wasn't like that, he wouldn't have been able to continue for so long. He's not the type to relax (laughs). Of course, there is also the stimulus of the appearance of the younger skaters. He knows that he has to push himself to be able to compete with them. And every day he fights with himself. He has to face it every day in his skating. He is increasing his level, not only in the jumps, but also in the artistic expression, in the emotional expression, and in the synthesis of them. I think that's quite a challenge. I think it's quite difficult, because all the elements that he's doing now are physically very demanding. There are not many skaters who do as many different quads as he does, only a few. It takes a lot of energy and it's not easy to find the right balance between artistic and technical aspects. You have to save your energy to do all the elements. I think he sets a very high standard in this respect. He knows that each movement has to be meaningful, well-rounded and integrated, and that's what makes a good performance.

ーそれが、彼を特別な存在たらしめている点なのですね。

シェイ彼が特別だな、と感じるのは、自分の人生にものすごく感謝をしていること、そして彼をサポートする人たちへの感謝の気持ちを常に持ち続けているところです。彼はリンクに入るときやリンクから上がるとき、かならず氷に触れますよね。いつも素敵だなと思うのですが、自分が演技をする場所に対して敬う気持ちが、あの行動に表われています。彼の行動から私たちが学べることはたくさんあるように思います。尊重や敬意の気持ちを、行動で示せるということは素晴らしいですよね。そして、ファンや家族、コーチ陣への接し方からも常に尊敬や感謝の気持ちが表われています。だからこそ、彼は誰からも愛されているのだと思います。彼が正直な人だとわかるから。彼が何かを言ったら、それは本当にそう思っているから言っているのだとわかるのです。それから、演技をしているときの彼の存在感の大きさです。彼がすべての時間を支配して、世界の中心にいるかのように見える。彼がそのような状態になっているのを見ると、演技が見たくてワクワクしてしまいます。すごいパフォーマンスになることはわかっていますから! ゾーンに入っていて、存在感がある。そして、それを見られることは、すべての人々に与えられる贈り物だと私は感じています。

Q: So that's what makes him so special?

Shae: What makes him special is that he is very grateful for his life and he is always grateful for the people who support him. When he enters or leaves the rink, he always touches the ice. It's always lovely to see his respect for the place where he is performing. I think there is a lot we can learn from his behaviour. It's great that he can show respect and dignity in his actions. And the way he treats his fans, his family and his coaches always shows his respect and gratitude. I think that's why he is loved by everyone. Because you can tell that he is an honest person. When he says something, you know that he is saying it because he really feels it. And then there is his presence when he is performing. He dominates everything, he seems to be completely the centre of the world. When I see him in that state, I get excited to see him perform. Because I know it will be an amazing performance! He's in the zone, he has presence. And to be able to see that, I feel, is a gift to all of us.

ー羽生選手のフィギュアスケート界への貢献については、どのように感じていますか?

シェイ  彼はいま、フィギュア界でのリーダー的存在であり、この競技のレベルを引き上げてくれた先駆者でもあります。ファンだけでなく、フィギュアスケート界から尊敬される存在です。常にハードワークを怠らない姿勢や、コンペティションで見せる闘う姿勢。そして輝きを放つこと。そこはもうメンタル面でのチャレンジの域でしょうね。丸一年かけて、試合に向けてフィジカルを徹底的に鍛え上げても、本番でほんの少しでも不安な気持ちを抱けば、一瞬にしてその努力が台無しになってしまいます。闘いの場に立ったとき、自分を奮い立たせて、持てるものをすべて出しきることができる。その点において、彼は後世に語り継がれる存在となると思います。彼は見る人に刺激を与える。スケート界に彼のようなロールモデルがいるのは素晴らしいことです。若い選手たちは常に彼を目標にできます。そして彼自身も、そのような刺激を与え続けている。素晴らしいレガシーを彼はすでに遺してくれています。

Q: How do you feel about Hanyu's contribution to the world of figure skating?

Shae: He is one of the leaders in the world of figure skating today, a pioneer who has raised the level of this sport. He is respected not only by his fans but also by the whole figure skating world, because of his constant hard work and his fighting spirit in competitions, his brilliance and radiance. That's where the mental aspect comes in, I guess. You can spend a whole year working on all the physical aspects of the competition, but if you feel even the slightest bit anxious on the day of the competition, all that effort can be ruined instantly. When you're competing, you have to be able to pull yourself together and give it everything you've got. I think that's what will make him one to be remembered. He's an inspiration to everyone who sees him. It's great to have a role model like him in the skating world. Young skaters can always look up to him. And he himself continues to be such an inspiration. He has already left behind a great legacy.

ー西洋の文化で育ったシェイ=リーンさんからご覧になって、このような日本の戦国時代のストーリーの世界観にはどのような印象を?

シェイ  とても興味深かったですね。私は映画を見たり、いろいろな文化について学ぶのがとても好きで、人々についてや、彼らのヒストリーなどをいろいろと掘り下げて知りたいと思うタイブなんです。人は誰しもが、自分のストーリーを持っていますから。私は北米の出身ですが、これまでもずっといろいろなところを旅してきて、現役時代に師事した指導者たちも、さまざまな国から来た人たちでした。知らない土地に行ったり、そこの人々と触れ合ったり、かけがえのない体験をすることができました。そうした体験をすると、自分が変わります。そこで学んだことが自分の一部になる。振り付けをすることは素晴らしいな、と思えるのは、そうしたストーリーを表現できるところです。そして自分の中にある真の部分をそこに込めることができる。その世界に身を置けていることは本当に恵まれていると感じます。ご質問の意味も、よくわかります! たしかに、最初に「SEIMEI』にとりかかったときは、不思議でたまりませんでした。「なぜ私?」と(笑)。でも、そのあと、「彼は私の中から出てくるものを求めていたんだな」と気づきました。ですから、プログラムに関わる機会を得られたことは、とても名誉で、幸運だったと思っています。そして、今回も、この物語(『天と地と』)について学んだことが、これからも自分の中に残り続けます。

Q: Shae-Lynn, as someone who grew up in the Western culture, what is your impression of the world of the Japanese wartime era?

Shae: It is very interesting. I love watching films and learning about different cultures, and I'm the type of person who wants to know more about different people and their histories. Everyone has their own story to tell. I'm from North America, but I've travelled a lot, and the mentors I've had in my career have been from different countries. I've had the chance to go to places I've never been before, to meet the people there, and it's been an invaluable experience. Those experiences change you. What you learn there becomes a part of you. What's great about choreographing is that you can express those stories. And you can put the real part of yourself into it. I feel really blessed to be part of that world. I know exactly what you mean by your question! It's true that when I first started working on SEIMEI, I couldn't help wondering: "Why me? Why do I have to do this?" (laughs). But then I realized that he was looking for something that came from inside me. So I feel very privileged and lucky to have had the opportunity to be involved in the programme. And this time, too, what I learned about this story ("Heaven and Earth") will stay with me for a long time into the future.

ー『SEIMEI』のお話が出ましたが、『天と地と」と共通する点、また異なる点はどんなところでしょうか?

シェイ    音楽のジャンル的には、同じようなものになるのかもしれません。日本の曲ですから。ただ、それ以外はとても違うものだと私自身は感じています。「SEIMEI」では、ユヅの新たな1面が見られました。ユーモアというか、なんと表現したらいいのでしょう(熟考して)……機知、荻滑さ、それは悪い意味のではなく、ちょっとユーモラスなキャラクターを思い描いていました。もちろん彼はそのような滑りはしていませんが、彼の姿を想像しながらあのプログラムをつくっていたとき、私のイメージにあったのは、もっと少年っぽい感じで、ちょっとミステリアスで、マジカルで、いたずらっ子っぼい感じのキャラクターでした! 自信満々で、同時に「自分が人類を救うんだ!」という、とてつもなく大きなチャレンジ精神も背負っている。暗雲を取り払って、「この世の中を、明るいものにするんだ!」という使命感のようなもの。それは、『天と地と」にも共通する部分がありますが、登場人物のキャラクターの成熟度が違っています。今回のプログラムは、より成長した、年齢を重ねたユツです。同じ日本をテーマにした曲ですが、私にとっては違ったプログラムですね。『SEIMEI」が、外に向かって表現していくものなら、『天と地と」は、内側を見つめるもの。両方とも、脆さを露呈する部分があるのですが、今回のプログラムのほうが、その要素は強いと思います。

Q: You mentioned "SEIMEI", what does it have in common with "Heaven and Earth" and what are the differences?

Shae: In terms of musical genre, they might be similar. They are both Japanese music pieces. But other than that, I feel that they are very different. In "SEIMEI", we saw a new side of Yuzu. I was imagining a character with a sense of humour, or how should I put it (pondering)..., cleverness, agility, not in a wrong way, but a bit humorous. Of course he doesn't skate like that, but when I was making that programme, imagining him, I had in my mind a more boyish character, a bit mysterious, magical, playful! He was confident, but at the same time he had a huge challenge: "I have to save the human race with my own hands!" "I'm going to make this world a brighter place". It's like a sense of a mission. It is something similar to "Heaven and Earth", but the maturity of the characters is different. This time the programme is a more grown-up, matured Yuzu. It's also a Japan-themed music, but it's a different programme for me. If "SEIMEI" is about outward expression, "Ten to Chi to" is about looking inwards. Both of them express fragility, but I think this programme has more of that.

ーストーリーのなかに描かれた人物の性格がまったく違うわけですね。

シェイ  そう、今回はよりシリアスで、自分自身の人生を振り返るような内容です。『SEIMEI』は、人生の全盛期、絶好調期、といった感じです。どんな闘いにもひるんだりしない、怖いものなしのキャラクターです。

Q: So the characters in the story are very different?

Shae: Yes, this time it's more serious, it's more about looking back on your own life. SEIMEI is about life at its peak, at its best. The character is not afraid of any kind of fight, he's not afraid of anything.

ーときに、羽生選手は素晴らしすぎて、別の惑星から来たのではないか、とさえ感じてしまいます。普段はどのような人なのでしょうか?

シェイ  彼はどういう人かをひと言で表わすなら、「面白くってかわいらしい人」。私がリンクで見るのは、くだけた様子の彼ばかりです(笑)。もちろん、ものすごく真剣にもなりますが、とてもオープンな人ですね。たとえば、いろいろなことを試すことをためらわないオープンさ。私が何かを提案したときも、「なんでもやってみよう」というマインドがあります。それに、一緒にいると、よく笑います。物理的な距離があってもそれは同じで、彼とはいつもそういう楽しい時間が持てるのです。あまりシリアスになりすぎるようなところはなくて、ジョークのセンKもあSます。さらに素敵なのは、常にコンペティターとしての顔も持っていること。闘いの場面になると、別のユヅになる。しっかり自分をコントロールして、集中する。そこには彼が持つ存在感が役立っています。そんなときは、そう、まるで別の惑星から来たような感じさえしますが、それを感じるのは、彼が完全にチューニングされていて、周りのことに一切煩わされないゾーンに入った状態になっているからです。そして、そのような状態になることで、彼は自分が求めているところへ到達できる。そして彼がエネルギーを放出すればするほど、それを見た人が受け取り、彼はそのオーディエンスから返ってくるエネルギーを感じ取るのです。逆に、そのエネルギーを得るために、彼のはうから種を蒔くこともできる。その瞬間のゾーンに入る術を、彼はマスターしているといえるでしょうね。

Q: Sometimes Hanyu is so amazing that I feel like he's from another planet. What kind of person is he normally?

Shae: If I had to describe him in one word, I'd say he's funny and cute. When I see him on the rink, he's just being silly (laughs). Of course, he can be very serious, but he's also very open. For example, he's not afraid to try things out. Whenever I suggest something, he's always ready to try it. And when we are together, we laugh a lot. It's the same despite the physical distance, and I always have a good time with him. He's not overly serious, and he's always up for a joke. Another thing is that he is a good competitor. When it comes to competition, he's a different character. He is in control and focused. He has a strong presence. In those moments, yes, he even seems to be from another planet, but this is because he is completely focused, he is in a zone where he is not bothered by anything. And by being in that state, he can do whatever he wants to do. And the more energy he radiates, the more his audience receives it, the more he feels the energy coming back to him. On the other hand, he can also create the energy from his own breath. You could say that he has mastered the art of getting into the zone at the right moment.

ー今シーズン、羽生選手がこのプログラムを継続して滑るとして、どういった点を熟成させたいと考えていますか?

シェイセクションごとを見れば、とても素晴らしいですよね。その短いパートに全エネルギーを注ぎ込めるので。でも、それを全部合わせて4分間のプログラムにするのはとても難しいことなので、課題とするなら、エネルギーとパワーを、全力であらゆる動きに注ぎ込めるようにすること。高さのある動き、低めの動き。腕を広げた伸びやかな大きな動きなど、あらゆるムーブメントに関してです。それと合わせてすべての4回転ジャンプをこなすこと。エレメンツの難易度は上がる一方で、コンペティションである以上、難易度の高いものを盛り込むことは非常に重要になります。私が願うのは、プログラム全体をさらに高いレベルに昇華させること。そうすることで、見た人たちがより彼のストーリーを感じ取ることができ、彼の魔法にかかり、魅了される。彼のスケーティングを見ていて、次にジャンプがくるだろうなどとはまったく考えていなかったところでジャンプがくる、といったような。そのレベルに到達できるようにしていくことが私の目指しているところでもあります。軽々とエレメンツをこなして、観る者も予想させない動きをすること。すべてのスケーターをそのレベルに持っていきたい、と私自身が願っていることなのですが、シーズンを通して、日々ー緒に練習を続けて、段々に積み上げて追い込んでいくことで、多少のプレッシャーがある状況下でも、最低限の動きは出せるといったレベルに達することですね。

Q: If Hanyu continues to skate this program this season, what would you like to see him improve on?

Shae: If you practice a program by sections, it's great. Because you can put all your energy into that short part. But it's very difficult to put it all together in a four-minute programme, so the challenge is to put all the energy and power into every movement: high movements, low movements, big open arm movements. All the quads should be performed in harmony with it. The elements are becoming more and more difficult, and since this is a competition, it is very important to include more and more difficult elements. What I hope is to raise the whole programme to a higher level. In this way, the audience will be able to feel his story more, to fall under his spell and be fascinated by him. It's like watching him skate and seeing a jump that you never thought would come next. That's the level I'm trying to reach. To be able to do elements with ease, to be able to do movements that the audience would never expect. I want all my skaters to reach that level, and I hope that by practising every day throughout the season, building up and pushing them, they will reach a level where they will be able to do their best under pressure.

ー演技全体としての完成度を高める、ということですね。

シェイそのとおりです。たとえば、あらゆるステップを限界まで高めていけるような。そのためにはやはりフルシーズンが必要です。1年間しっかりトレーニングして、より多くの数の大会をこなすことで、その域に到達することができるのです。大会で演じるたびに、次のパフォーマンスに向けてレベルを上げていくことができますから。なので、ユヅが必要とするだけの大会に出場できることを願っています。でも、いちばん大切なのは、彼が健康を維持して、ハッピーなシーズンを送ってくれることです。それらがそろえば、彼はさらに上の演技をしてくれますから!

Q: So it's about perfecting the performance as a whole?

Shay: That's right. For example, to be able to perform every step to the limit. It takes a full season, a full year of training and more competitions to get to that point. Every time you perform in a competition, you can improve your level for the next competition. So I hope that Yuzu will be able to participate in as many competitions as he needs to. But the most important thing is that he stays healthy and has a happy season. If he can do that, he will perform even better!

ーご自身が振り付けたプログラムを、たとえば昨年の全日本でのようなパフォーマンスで見せてくれたときは、とても満ち足りた気持ちになるのでは?

シェイ  彼に限らず、どのスケーターでも、見るときはとても緊張するんです! リンクサイドでなく、ビデオで見ているときでも。でも、スケーターが、落ち着いた状態で演技に挑もうとしているのが見えた瞬間、その緊張感がさっと消えて、演技を楽しめるようになります。その瞬間、彼らはきっといい演技をするだろう、という確信が持てるので。

でも本当に、大きな喜びですね。そのプロセスに携わることができて、そしてスケーターがその瞬間に立って、すべての要素をひとまとめにして、音楽とつながって、スピリットを共有する。彼らがそれができている姿を見ると、彼らのために本当に嬉しい気持ちになります。まるでギフトをもらったような気分です。

逆に彼らが満足いくパフォーマンスができなかったときは、彼らと同じように痛みを感じてしまいます。彼らが重ねてきた経験を思う存分生かして、積み上げてきたものを発揮してほしい、と心底願っているから。なので、感情が激しくアップダウンするジェットコースターのような感じになりますね(笑)。

でも、こうして多くのスケーターのプログラムに携わることができてとてもハッピーです。とくにクリエイティプな部分で参加できるのはやりがいを感じます。

私が常に抱いている思いは、スケーターが自分自身を表現する声を持つ助けになりたい、ということです。それができると、コンペティションで闘うことも、トレーニングに取り組むのもずっと楽になりますから。自分をしっかり感じて、何も隠さなくていいので自由に、そしてスケートすることが、いかに素晴らしく、美しいことかを思い出せるように。それをスケーターとシェアできて、つながれる。ユツやほかのスケーターたちとそれをできることが、私にとっての至上の喜びです。

Q: Isn't it a very satisfying feeling when a program that you have choreographed is performed as well as at last year's Japanese Nationals?

Shae: I get very nervous when I watch him, or any skater for that matter! Even when I'm not at the rink side, but watching them on video. But the moment I see a skater calmly preparing to perform, that nervousness quickly disappears, and I can enjoy the performance. At that moment, I am confident that they will perform well.

But really, it's a great joy. To be able to be a part of that process, and to see the skaters in that moment, bringing all the elements together, connecting with the music, sharing the spirit. Seeing them be able to do that makes me really happy for them. It's like a gift. On the other hand, when they don't perform well, I feel the same pain as they do. This is because I sincerely want them to make the most out of their experience and show what they have built up over the years. So it's like a roller coaster of ups and downs of emotions (laughs). But I'm very happy to be able to work with so many skaters on their programs. Especially, it's satisfying to be part of the creative process. I always want to help skaters to have a voice to express themselves. It's much easier to compete and train when you can do that. To be able to feel yourself, to be free to not have to hide anything, and to remember how wonderful and beautiful it is to skate. And I can share that with skaters and connect with them. To be able to do that with Yuzu and other skaters, that's my greatest joy.

ー貴重なお話をありがとうございました。最後に、羽生選手へのエールをお願いします。

シェイ  まずはありがとう、と。あなたのしてくれることすべてに対して。それから、私に、そしてみんなに、心を、魂を開いてくれてありがとう。あなたがリンクに上がること、それ自体が素晴らしい贈り物です。私には、そのためにあなたがどれだけ身を削っているかがわかっていますから。あなたと知り合えて、一緒に仕事ができたことは、私にとってこれ以上ない喜びです。スケートをしているときだけでなく、ただ普通に会うだけでも、私の人生であなたと知り合えたことに、感語しています。あなた自身の中にあるもの、自分の中から湧き上がるものを感じて、これからも滑り続けていってほしいと願います。自分の信念を貫いてスケートを続けてほしい。それがなんであれ、あなたの内側に存在するもので滑ること、そのことだけで、充分なのです。いえ、充分すぎるくらいです。人生は目の前にあるものすべてに感謝するには短すぎます。今回のパンデミックは、私たちにそのことを教えてくれました。このかけがえのない人生において、私たちは、周りの人たちと、彼らがいかに素晴らしいかをもっと伝え合うことが必要なのだと感じます。彼らがいかに愛され、感謝されているか。ユヅにも以前言ったことがあります。どれだけそれを聞いても傷つくものではないのだから、私たち誰もが、そうした声を聞くことが大切なんだよ、と。彼は私にとって本当に大切な存在です。彼がそこにいてくれることに、私は本当に感謝しています。そうそう、私の誕生日にメッセージをくれたのは嬉しかったですね。夫がメッセージビデオをつくってくれたのですが、そのなかにユヅもビデオメッセージを送ってくれたのは、本当に嬉しいサプライズでした。スペシャルギフトです。たしか全日本のあとだったと思います。スケーターたちのメッセージを集めたコラージュを夫が用意してくれて、そのオープニングがユヅのメッセージだったんです。とても嬉しかったですね。

Q: Thank you very much for this valuable talk. Lastly, please give your best wishes to Hanyu.

Shae: First of all, thank you. For everything you do. Then, thank you for opening your heart and soul to me, and to all of us. Your coming to the rink is a great gift in itself. I know how hard you work for it. I couldn't be happier to know you and to work with you. Not only when we skate, but also when we just see each other, I am so impressed to know you in my life. I hope you will continue to skate, feeling what is inside of you, and what comes out of you. I hope you will continue to skate with your own inner conviction. Whatever comes, skate with what's inside you, and that's enough. No, it's more than enough. Life is too short to not be thankful for everything that is right in front of you. This pandemic has taught us that. I feel that in this precious life, we need to do more to tell the people around us how wonderful they are. How much they are loved and appreciated. I've told Yuzu this before. I told Yuzu once that it is important for all of us to listen to those voices, because no matter how often we hear them, they are always healing. He is  really important to me and I am so grateful that he is there in my life. I was so happy when he sent me a message for my birthday. My husband made a video message for me, and Yuzu also sent me a video message, which was a very nice surprise. It was a special gift. I think it was after Japanese Nationals. My husband had prepared a collage of messages from skaters, and Yuzu's message was the opening one. I was very happy.

Thank you for your translation:thanks:

It's a really interesting interview.

So wonderful words from Shae for Yuzu:tumblr_inline_n18qr7hmfk1qid2nw:

1 hour ago, birnasan said:

Automatic translation of the Shae-Lynn Bourne interview in the Team Japan Fanbook, made with OCR and deepL. I don't speak Japanese and sadly this is not a proper translation. But I enjoyed the interview very much, it is so deep and insightful. Hopefully we will get a better translation soon.

Reveal hidden contents

2014-15 シーズンから羽生のフリープログラムを手がけ、数々の名プログラムを生み出してきたシェイ=リーンボーンさん。昨季はコロナ禍の困難な状況のなか、フリー『天と地と』を振り付けた。歴代最高傑作ともいわれる名プログラムは、いかにして誕生したのか。

Shae-Lynn Bourne has been working on Hanyu's FS programs since the 2014-15 season, and has created many great programs. Last season, she choreographed the FS "Heaven and Earth" under the difficult circumstances of the Corona crisis. How was this masterpiece, which is said to be one of the greatest programs of all time, created? We asked her about the process behind the scenes, and her heartfelt admiration for Hanyu.

ー今回は、羽生結弦選手のフリープログラム天と地と』についてお話をうかがいたいと思います。昨シーズン、羽生選手はこのプログラムを試合で3度滑りましたが、シーズンを通してどのようにご覧になりましたか? 

シェイ=リーン(以下、シェイ) まずパンデミックに見舞われた昨季は、間違いなく厳しいシーズンだったと思います。そのなかで、安全を確保したうえで、彼がコンペティションに臨めたことは本当に幸運なことでした。いまのこの状況は、すべてのスケーターにとって、とてつもなく大きなチャレンジですが、そのなかで彼らが大会に臨む姿には、心の底から感動しました。観客がいない、あるいは人数が制限されて、オーディエンスから充分な反応を受け取れないなかで演技をするというのは、これまでの状況とはまったく別物です。それができない現在の状況では、スケーターたちは、より自分自身を深く掘り下げて、自分の中からエネルギー源を引き出す、という新しいやり方を習得する必要があったわけで、その意味でも、ユヅはこの状況下で素晴らしいパフォーマンスをやってのけたと感じています。自分が語りかけたいストーリーをエレメンッを通して伝え、人々と共有することができていました。相当なチャレンジだったはずです。

Q: We would like to talk about Yuzuru Hanyu's FS program "Heaven and Earth". Last season, Hanyu skated this program three times in competitions, how did you see it throughout the season? 

Shae-Lynn: First of all, I think last season was definitely a tough one because of the pandemic. We are very lucky that the skaters were able to compete safely in that situation. This situation is a tremendous challenge for all skaters, but I was really impressed with the way they handled their competitions. Performing without an audience, or with a limited number of people, and not getting enough response from the audience, is a completely different situation than in the past. In this situation, skaters had to learn a new way of digging deeper into themselves and drawing energy from within, and I feel that Yuzu did a great job under this situation. He was able to tell the story he wanted to tell and share it with the people through his elements. It must have been quite a challenge.

ー通常であれば、練習で完成させたプログラムを試合で演じることで、課題を見つけ、それを克服し、さらに熟成させていくものだと思いますが、その機会がないことは振付師の立場からしても難しいことだったのでは?

シェイシーズンにどれだけの大会に出るかというのはとても重要な点です。場数を踏めば踏むほど、プログラムの質を上げていくことができます。それがないということは、いったん振り出しに戻って課題をあぶり出したり、ここにもうちょっとスパイスを加えて、といったことを見つけることがとても難しくなります。ですが、今回はその環境のなかで、ユヅと一緒にやってきたことで、素晴らしい過程を体験することができました。実際に二人が同じ場所にいなくても、私は彼がそばにいるということを実感できたのです。私が滑ったものを撮影して彼に送り、彼がそれを見ながら練習するところを、ライブで見ていました。ときには深夜、夜通し滑っていたこともあります。そのとき、私は自分自身がリンクサイドにいるような感覚で彼の滑りを見ていました。物理的な隔たりがあるなかで、可能な方法をつくり出すという、面白い体験であるとも感じることができました。

Q: Normally, when you perform a program that is perfected in practice in a competition, you would probably find some issues, work on them, and further refine the program, but not having that opportunity must have been difficult for you as a choreographer.

Shae: The quantity of competitions you go to in a season is very important. The more competitions you do, the better your programme will become. If you don't have that, it's very difficult to look at yourself and see what you need to work on, what you need to change, what you need to improve. But in this circumstances, working together with Yuzu has been a great process. Even though we were not actually in the same place, I could feel his presence with me. I would film myself skating and send it to him, and he would practice with it, watching it on screen live. Sometimes we skated late at night, all night long. I felt as if I was at the rink side watching him. I also found it an interesting experience to create a possible way despite the physical distance between us.

シェイ本当に素晴らしかったです! 彼が「この曲で滑りたい」という強い信念を持てる音楽を選んだことも非常に重要だったと思います。プログラムに込めたストーリー、使用する音楽、そして、いま世界中が厳しい試練を強いられているパンデミックの状況ー。とこうしたことを目の当たりにして、おそらく彼は、自分のパフォーマンスでファンの方たちを少しでも元気づけることができたら、と感じていた。それと同時に、一人でトレーニングすることへのモチベーションを得ていたと思います。彼は一人で練習していました。彼にとっては初めての経験です。サポートしてくれるコーチが身近にいないというのはとてもハードなことです。でも、彼は見事にそれをやってみせました。この経験が、彼をさらに成長させたと感じます。コーチがいない状況のなか、彼はとてもうまくやっていましたし、しっかり集中して、身を入れてやることができていた。葛藤は誰にもあるのだと思います。若いときにだって眠れない夜がある。要は、自分自身に対してどういう言葉をかけてあげられるかです。すべては彼の内側にあったものであり、彼の演技を見たとき、「ああ、彼には表現したいもの、伝えたいことがたくさんあるのだな」と実感することができました。

Q: After all that, his perfect performance at the first competition, at Nationals, was phenomenal.

Shae: It was really great! I think it was very important that he chose a music with which he had a strong feeling of "I would love to skate to this music". The story behind the programme, the choice of music and the current pandemic situation that the world is going through - all these things made him feel that he could do something to encourage his fans with his performance. At the same time, I think he was motivated by training alone. He had to train by himself. It was a new experience for him. It's very hard not to have a coach around to support you. But he did it very well. I feel that this experience has helped him to grow even more. He did very well without a coach and he was able to concentrate and focus on what he was doing. I think we all have our struggles. Especially when you are young, you have sleepless nights. The key is what you can say to yourself. It was all inside him, and when I saw his performance, I realised that he had a lot to express, a lot to say.

シェイ彼が自ら曲を選んだ時点で、彼の頭の中にはプログラムの構想が描かれていて、やりたいことも明確になっています。今回も、音楽の編集が終わるころには、どの部分にどのエレメンツを入れたいかということが明確になっていました。たとえば4回転ジャンプについては、彼自身が、その前後にどのくらいのスペースが必要かを把握しています。息継ぎのタイミングなどもあるので、ジャンプは的確な位置に収める必要がある。なので、まずはエレメンツについて話し合いました。そして、それぞれのエレメンツッがリンク上のどの場所で実施されるかといったパターン図を確認しました。それから彼は、この曲で描かれている主人公・上杉謙信のキャラクターやストーリーについて話してくれました。それはかなり深いストーリーだったのですが、それを私が理解し、彼がプログラムに込めようとしている信念を知った瞬間、私の中からインスピレーションが湧き上がってきました。このフィーリングを得られたのは、やはり私が彼のことをよく知っていて、同じリンクの上にいなくてもスピリットを身近に感じられたからだと思います。彼になりきって、よく言うところの「彼の靴を履いて」、彼の存在を感じながらリンクに上がったことで、どんどん動きのアイデアも湧いてきました。私の振り付けが出来上がったあとは、すべてのパートについて、二人で話し合いました。いくつかの動きの部分では、2~3種類のオプションを用意しました。私がやってみてよかった動きが、彼にフィットするとは限らないので、彼の身体に最も合った動きを見つける、という部分にはじっくり時間をかける必要がありました。試行錯誤を繰り返した部分です。その点では、私たちが同じ場所にいないがゆえの難しさもあったのですが、私がいくつかのバリエーションを提案すると、たいてい彼はすぐにどれがいちばんフィットするかを見極めます。もちろん、ジャンプに入りやすいものを選ぶ、ということもあります。それから、私がいつも素晴らしいと感じるのは、彼は4回転ジャンプやトリプルアクセルもきちんと跳んで練習するところです。

Q: When Hanyu first suggested this music, did he already have a pretty good idea of what he wanted to do?

Shae: When he chose the music himself, he already had an idea of the programme in his mind and what he wanted to do. Again, by the time he finished editing the music, he had a clear idea of which elements he wanted to put in which parts. For example, for a quad, he knows how much room he needs before and after the jump. The jumps need to be in the right place, because of the timing of the breath and so on. So we discussed the elements first. Then we went through a drawing of the pattern, where each element would be placed on the rink. Then he told me about the character and story of Uesugi Kenshin, the main character in the music. It was quite a deep story, but as soon as I understood it and knew the message he was trying to put into the programme, I felt inspired. I think I got this feeling because I knew him so well and I felt close to his spirit even though we were not on the same rink. Being in his shoes, as we say, and feeling his presence on the rink, gave me more and more ideas for the movements. After I had finished my choreography, we discussed all the parts together. For some of the movements, we had two or three different options. We had to spend a lot of time on the part of finding the best movements for his body, because the movements that worked for me did not always work for him. It was a lot of trial and error. It was difficult because we weren't in the same place, but I would suggest a few variations and he would usually decide straight away which one was the best fit. Of course, it's also a case of choosing the one that makes the jump more comfortable. Also, what I always admire is that he does not hesitate to practice quads and triple Axels properly.

シェイ  ええ。たとえば、「冒頭の3つのジャンプまでを振り付ける」という場合、4回転ジャンプをすべて跳んで、その振り付けで安定して跳べるかどうかを確認するのです。これをやゃるスケーターは多くはありません。振り付けのときは振り付けだけを覚えて、ジャンプは後で練習する、というのが普通です。でも彼は、最初からその部分をしっかり確認したいと思っている。呼吸をするかのようにジャンプが跳べるのか、という点です。振り付ける側にとっても、エレメンツがうまくフィットするのかどうかが、すぐにわかるのはありがたいことです。なぜなら、振り付けの作業は、素晴らしい作品をつくり上げることだけではなく、スケーターが快適に演技できるということが、なにより大切だからです。その意味でも、彼のやり方はとても素晴らしいと感じます。

Shae: Yes. For example, if you are going to choreograph the first three jumps, you have to jump all those quads and see if you can jump comfortably with that choreography. Not many skaters do this. When it comes to choreography, they usually just learn the choreography and include the jumps later. But he wants to make sure from the very beginning that he can jump like he breathes. For the choreographer, it's nice to know right away that the elements will fit well together. This is because the choreographer's job is not only to create a great programme, but also to make the skater feel comfortable. In this sense, I feel that his method is very good.

ーそれは体力的にも非常に厳しいことですよね。

シェイ  そのとおりです。通常、長いシーズンを終えたスケーターは、張り詰めたものから解放されて、4回転のような最上級のジャンプを跳べるコンディションではないですからね(笑)。身体への要求も非常に厳しいものです。よほどの覚悟がなければ、状態を維持するのは難しいでしょう。その点でも、彼のプログラムづくりに対する姿勢を見る気がするのです。プログラムをつくるときは、完全なフィジカルの状態にしておくことで、エレメンツが見事にフィットした作品ができるということを、彼はわかっている。そして、実際にそれを実践するために、さらに努力して身体をつくるんです。彼は本当に努力家ですから。

Shae: That's right. Usually, after a long season, skaters are not in a condition to jump the maximum jumps, like quads, because they are tired (laughs). The stress on the body is also very high. If you're not determined, it's difficult to stay in the good shape. That's also how I understand his commitment to the programme. He knows that when you make a programme, you have to be in a perfect physical shape, so that you can create a programme where the elements fit together beautifully. And he works hard to build up his body so that he can actually do that. He's a real hard worker.

シェイ  彼は全体のパッケージというものを非常に重要視するスケーターですね。偉大なスケーターがそうであるように、エレメンッだけでも、音楽や表現の解釈だけでもなく、絶妙なバランスをとって、すべてをプログラムの中に織り込んでいく、という感じです。彼は、物理的にひとつのエレメンツから次のエレメンツに移るのにどれほどの時間が必要かを正確に把握しているので、そのつなぎの部分を非常に大切にしています。エレメンツと同じくらい、そこへ向かうための最初のステップ、次のステップ、ひとつひとつの呼吸まで大切にしている。それが彼です。そして、彼にとって、それはとても意味のあること。プログラムに組み込まれた要素のすべてが、あたかもそれが当たり前のように巧みに融合しているのは、彼がそこに重点を置いているからです。

Q: It seems to me that Hanyu has a precise idea of what he wants to express, and then he uses his elements to express it.

Shae: He's a skater who places a lot of importance on the whole package. It's not just the elements, not just the interpretation of the music or the expression, but it's a delicate balance, incorporating everything into the program, like all the great skaters do. He knows exactly how much time it takes to physically move from one element to the next, so he places great importance on these connecting parts. As much as he cares about the elements, he also cares about each and every step, and every breath that he needs. That's him. And to him, it means a lot. All of the elements in the program are masterfully blended together as if they were a natural part of the program because that's what he wants.

シェイ  このプログラムで、彼が最も好んでいる部分は、彼自身と主人公の上杉謙信がリンクする点を感じることだと思います。どのスケーターにとっても同じですが、スケートシューズを履いたときは、まるで俳優になったかのように、自分の中にある真実を見っけ、それをありのままに表現することが必要になります。その点で、彼は音楽だけでなく、この曲の背景にあるストーリー自体にも惹かれるものを感じていたのだと思います。闘いの場面から始まるこのプログラムは、どんどん自分自身を振り返る方向へと進んでいきます。その部分は彼のキャリアにも通じています。あらゆるコンペティションは闘いであり、アイスリンクにたった一人で立つことも、闘いです。そして、彼は闘いを愛している。闘うことで奮い立ち、生命がみなぎる。彼にとって闘うことは喜びでもあります。でも、そこには常に、大きなチャレンジも付随する。ですから、このストーリーには、そうした彼のこれまでの入生を振り返る意味も込められています。そして、また力をたくわえて、次の闘いに挑む。その影には、常に良い時と悪い時があります。けれど、それも含めたすべてが彼の人生です。つらい経験をしたときに、どうやって這い上がり、蘇るか。そこには、常に彼自身だけでなく、ファンへの思いがあります。彼を見守り続けているファン、そしてサポートしている家族の存在が。彼は自分一人のためにやっているのではなく、彼にそれを可能にさせるためのエネルギーをくれている人たちのためにやっている。だからこそ、彼にとって、この曲で滑ることが、それほど意味のあるものになっているのです。

Shae: I think his favorite part of this program is the feeling of the connection between himself and the main character, Kenshin Uesugi. It's the same for any skater, but when you put on your skating shoes, it's as if you're an actor, and you need to find your inner truth and express it as it is. In this respect, I think he was attracted not only to the music but also to the story behind the music itself. The program begins with a scene of battle and moves more and more towards self-reflection. This part of the program is closely connected to his career. Every competition is a battle, and standing alone on the ice rink is also a battle. And he loves the fight. It inspires him and gives him life. For him, fighting is also a joy. But there is always a big hardship attached to it. So, this story is meant to be a look back at his life so far. And then, with renewed spirit and strength, he is ready to take on the next challenge. In his past, there have always been good times and bad times. But all of it is his life, including those times. How does he manage to crawl up and recover from his painful experiences? There is always the thought of not only himself but also his fans. The fans who continue to support him, and his family who always supports him. He is not doing this for just himself, but for the people who are giving him the energy to make it possible. That's why skating to this music means so much to him.

シェイ  そうですね。それが年齢を重ねることの良さでもあります。経験から学べることは本当に多いですから。自分が経験したことは、生きていくうえで、多くの助けになってくれます。それに、問題にぶち当たったときこそ、自分が向上するときです。難題にぶち当たったり、困難な時期を経験することは、そこから這い上がってさらに成長するためのワンダフルなチャンスですからね! そして、その先で成功したときに、心の底から嬉しいと感じることができる。自分が何を乗り越えてたどり着いたか、どんなに頑張ってきたかをわかっているからです。ユヅが長年にわたって特別な存在である理由も、そのあたりにあると思います。彼は数々の偉大な功績を残したあとも、継続的に素晴らしいパフォーマンスを生み出し続けています。毎回、すべてが完壁というわけではありませんが、魂のこもった演技を見せてくれる。人々の記憶に残る演技です。ずっと記憶に留めて、ときどき思い返す。そのような体験を、彼は人々に与えてくれているのです。ひとつの次元を超えた域に到達したスケーターからのみ、人々はそれを感じることができるのです。

Q: Do you mean that he has mastered the process of dealing with his own inner conflicts?

Shae: Exactly. That's the beauty of getting older. Because there is so much you can learn from your experiences. What you've been through helps you a lot in life. And when you face a problem, that's when you improve as a person. It's a great opportunity to overcome difficulties and to grow from them! And when you succeed in getting there, you can feel happy from the bottom of your heart. Because you know what you've overcome to get there and how hard you've worked. I think that's part of the reason why Yuzuru has been so extraordinary for so many years. Even after all his great achievements, he continues to produce great performances. Not everything is perfect every time, but he always gives a soulful performance. They are performances that people will remember. People will remember it for a long time and think back to it from time to time. That's the kind of feeling that he gives to people. You can only feel it from a skater who has reached a level beyond himself.

シェイ  あれは、闘いに挑む準備が整ったことを示すための、私なりの解釈です。「いざ、攻撃に出るぞ!」と、あのポーズで彼自身が示しているところです。「これから闘いが始まる」ということを、見ている者たちに知らせる合図、といった感じでしょうか。自分の身を盾で守り、これから攻め入る。と同時に、「自信」も表わしています。冒頭から、彼は敵に向かってまっすぐに攻め込んでいくわけですから。

Q: Can you tell us more about the choreography of the programme? At the beginning of the piece there is a hand crossing gesture, what does this mean?

Shae: That's my way of showing that he is ready for the battle. "Now I am going to attack!" That's what he is saying to himself in that pose. A signal to the viewer that the battle is about to begin. He has protected himself with his shield and is now ready to attack. At the same time, he is expressing his confidence. From the very beginning, he is going straight towards the enemy.

シェイステップシークエンスの途中で両手を上げるところは、片手で刀を持ち、別の手で刃を触っています。そのあと、刀を抱えたまま柔らかく動く。あたかも舞を舞っているかのように。このときのステップの意味は、闘いの最中ではあるのですが、舞のような、そう、「闘いの舞」のような、美しさを伴った闘いを表現しています。よく映画などでも、闘いのシーンがスローモーションで描かれたりしますが、そこには剣士たちの卓越した技や芸術性が見られます。それは優れたスケーターにも通じていて、技術が高ければ高いほど、スケーティングも美しさを増していきます。同じように、優れた戦士は、技術が卓越していて、身体の使い方を知り尽くしている。そして、動きのひとつひとつに存在感がある。攻撃のときだけでなく、守りのときもです。それを踊りで表現しました。両手を上げる場面は自由を表現しています。次のポーズは、その自由を語歌した状態であっても闘いの時がくれば一瞬で戦闘モードに入れる、ということを表わしています。そして、緩めた瞬間は、降参したことを表現しています。すべて頭で考えてやっているのではなく、身体が知っていて、それに従って動いている、という感じです。頭でコントロールできることを超越した部分ですね。それがあのフットワークのアイデアでした。

Q: In the middle of the step sequence, there is a pose where he reaches his hands to the sky.

Shae: In the middle of the step sequence, when he raises his hands, he holds the sword with one hand and touches the blade with the other hand. After that, he moves softly with the sword in his hand. It is as if he is actually dancing. The meaning of this moment is that we are in the middle of a battle, but it is a battle with beauty, like a dance, like a "battle dance". In movies, we often see fight scenes in slow motion, showing the great mastery and artistry of the swordsmen. The same can be said of a good skater: the better the technique, the more beautiful the skating. In the same way, a good warrior has a mastery of technique and knows how to use his body. They have a strong presence in every movement. Not only in attack, but also in defence. That's what I tried to express in this choreography. The scene where he raises his hands is an expression of freedom. The next pose shows that even in this state of freedom, he can go into battle mode at any moment. A moment of loosening would mean surrender. This is not something that is done with the mind, it is something that the body knows and does. It's a part of him that transcends what he can control with his head. That was the idea behind the footwork.

シェイこれは、まさに「天と地」を表現しています。リンク、つまり地にはしっかりと足が着いていて、そして両手は天へと差し伸べられる。天の光に向かって昇華していくようなイメージです。魂と大地への気づき。人智を超えた上空の世界。リンクに着いた足は大地に、伸ばした手の先は天へと向かっています。

Shay: It's a true expression of "Heaven and Earth". The feet are firmly attached to the rink, the earth, and the hands are stretched out to the sky. It is an image of ascending towards the light of Heaven. Awareness of the Spirit and the Earth. The world above, beyond human knowledge. The feet on the rink are reaching for the Earth, and the outstretched hands are reaching for the Heaven.

シェイそうですね、それを全身全霊で表現しています。私たちの存在は、単に肉体だけでなく、魂を伴ったものなのです。これは彼にとって精神性を表現するプログラムになったと思います。ときに意識の外側に飛び出していくような。ときに内観し、ときに外側へと解き放つ。肉体から魂へと変化していくような………。

Q: Hanyu said that he is between Heaven and Earth, and that's exactly what you are describing.

Shae: Yes, that is what he expresses with his whole body and mind. Our existence is not just physical, but also spiritual. I think this has become for him a programme of expressing spirituality. Sometimes it's like stepping out of consciousness. Sometimes you look inwards, sometimes you let go outwards. It's like a transformation from the body to the spirit...

ー長年、羽生選手のキャリアをご覧になってきたシェイ=リーンさんにとって、羽生選手がキャリアのこの時点で、上杉謙信という人物の人生に自身を投影させたことに、重要な意味があると感じていらっしゃいますか?

シェイ  まさにそう感じますね。これまで一緒にやってきたなかで、彼自身が選んだ曲は、その時点での自身の状態を深く投影したものでした。そのときの精神状態であったり、自分自身や自分のスケーティングについてどう感じているか、ということであったり。「自分は何をやるのか」「なぜそれをやるのか」というのは自分自身への普遍的な問いかけですが、これまでのプログラムすべてが、そのときの彼の状態を表わしたものでした。今回、彼が自ら選んだ曲について、私に送ってくれたメールを読んだとき、私は思わず涙が出そうになりました。なぜなら、彼ははっきりといまの状況を見つめていて、自分の言葉にじっくり時間をかけて耳を傾け、感じ取っていることがわかったからです。このパンデミックで、多くの人が自分自身を内観したり、自分が人生において何をしているのか、ということをえたりする時間を得たと思思います。彼にとってもそれは同じで、彼の決断には、それが象微されていました。静かな、落ち着いた状況のなかで、自分自身の心の声を聞き、呼吸を意識して、そのことで彼自身がひとまわり成長して、パッと花開き、より視界が開けたような感じ。自分の根底にある、素の感情に基づいて行動したとき、物事は自動的にうまくいくものです。誰かに「これをやれ」と言われたからやるのではなく、自分で「必要だ」と感じたからやる。彼の決断はそこから来たものなんだな、ということがメッセージから感じられました。そして、そうした気持ちから起こす行動というのは、常に素晴らしい結果を生むのです。

Q: As a long-time viewer of Hanyu's career, Shae-Lynn, do you feel that it is meaningful that Hanyu, at this point in his career, has identified himself with the life of Uesugi Kenshin?

Shae: That's exactly how I feel. Throughout the years we've been working together, the music that he has chosen has always been a deep reflection of his own state of mind at that particular time. It's about his state of mind, how he feels about himself and his skating. "What do I do?" and "Why do I do it?" are universal questions to ask yourself, and all of his previous programmes have been an expression of his state of mind at that time. When I read his email to me about his choice of music, I was moved to tears. Because I knew that he was looking at the situation clearly and that he was taking the time to listen and to feel himself. I think this pandemic has given many people time to look inside themselves and see what they are doing in their lives. It was the same for him, and his decision was based on that. In a quiet, calm situation, listening to his own heart and being aware of himself, it made him grow and blossom and expand his mind. When you do things based on your deepest, most genuine feelings, things automatically fall into place. You don't do things because someone tells you to do them, but because you feel you have to. That's where his decision came from, I could feel it in his message. And the action that comes from such a feeling always has a great result.

シェイそうですね。リンクに入ったときの、ありとあらゆる状況のなかでの闘い。彼には自分に課したスタンダードがあり、常に自分に課すハードルの高さを上げていくタイプの人です。逆に、そうでなければ、ここまで続けてはこられなかったでしょうしね。彼は気を緩めてしまうタイプではありませんから(笑)。そこにはもちろん、若いスケーターたちの出現という刺激もあります。彼らと闘っていくには、自分のハードルを上げていかなくてはならないという自覚も彼は持っている。そして日々、彼自身と闘っています。毎日のスケーティングで、それと向き合っているのです。彼がどんどん基準値を上げているのは、ジャンプに限らず、芸術的表現の部分、感情表現の部分、そしてそれらを融合させること。これは相当難しいことだと思います。なぜなら、彼が現在こなしているエレメンツは、どれも身体的な要求が非常に厳しいものだからです。彼ほど多くの種類の4回転ジャンプにトライしているスケーターはそれほど多くなく、ごく一部に限られます。ものすごいエネルギーを必要としますし、芸術面とテクニカル面のバランスをとるというのは、容易なことではありません。すべてのエレメンツをこなすには、エネルギーをセーブする必要がありますから。その点に関して、彼は非常に高い基準を設定していると思いますね。動きのひとつひとつが意味のあるものであり、全体的にまとまりがあり、あらゆる要素を網羅したものであること、それこそが優れたパフォーマンスであるということを、彼は知っているからです。

Q: Does fighting mean a lot of different things to him: fighting against himself, fighting against the younger guys who are chasing him, fighting for his fans?

Shae: That's right. When he enters the rink, he fights in every possible way. He has his own standards and he is the kind of person who always pushes himself to a higher level. On the other hand, if he wasn't like that, he wouldn't have been able to continue for so long. He's not the type to relax (laughs). Of course, there is also the stimulus of the appearance of the younger skaters. He knows that he has to push himself to be able to compete with them. And every day he fights with himself. He has to face it every day in his skating. He is increasing his level, not only in the jumps, but also in the artistic expression, in the emotional expression, and in the synthesis of them. I think that's quite a challenge. I think it's quite difficult, because all the elements that he's doing now are physically very demanding. There are not many skaters who do as many different quads as he does, only a few. It takes a lot of energy and it's not easy to find the right balance between artistic and technical aspects. You have to save your energy to do all the elements. I think he sets a very high standard in this respect. He knows that each movement has to be meaningful, well-rounded and integrated, and that's what makes a good performance.

シェイ彼が特別だな、と感じるのは、自分の人生にものすごく感謝をしていること、そして彼をサポートする人たちへの感謝の気持ちを常に持ち続けているところです。彼はリンクに入るときやリンクから上がるとき、かならず氷に触れますよね。いつも素敵だなと思うのですが、自分が演技をする場所に対して敬う気持ちが、あの行動に表われています。彼の行動から私たちが学べることはたくさんあるように思います。尊重や敬意の気持ちを、行動で示せるということは素晴らしいですよね。そして、ファンや家族、コーチ陣への接し方からも常に尊敬や感謝の気持ちが表われています。だからこそ、彼は誰からも愛されているのだと思います。彼が正直な人だとわかるから。彼が何かを言ったら、それは本当にそう思っているから言っているのだとわかるのです。それから、演技をしているときの彼の存在感の大きさです。彼がすべての時間を支配して、世界の中心にいるかのように見える。彼がそのような状態になっているのを見ると、演技が見たくてワクワクしてしまいます。すごいパフォーマンスになることはわかっていますから! ゾーンに入っていて、存在感がある。そして、それを見られることは、すべての人々に与えられる贈り物だと私は感じています。

Shae: What makes him special is that he is very grateful for his life and he is always grateful for the people who support him. When he enters or leaves the rink, he always touches the ice. It's always lovely to see his respect for the place where he is performing. I think there is a lot we can learn from his behaviour. It's great that he can show respect and dignity in his actions. And the way he treats his fans, his family and his coaches always shows his respect and gratitude. I think that's why he is loved by everyone. Because you can tell that he is an honest person. When he says something, you know that he is saying it because he really feels it. And then there is his presence when he is performing. He dominates everything, he seems to be completely the centre of the world. When I see him in that state, I get excited to see him perform. Because I know it will be an amazing performance! He's in the zone, he has presence. And to be able to see that, I feel, is a gift to all of us.

シェイ  彼はいま、フィギュア界でのリーダー的存在であり、この競技のレベルを引き上げてくれた先駆者でもあります。ファンだけでなく、フィギュアスケート界から尊敬される存在です。常にハードワークを怠らない姿勢や、コンペティションで見せる闘う姿勢。そして輝きを放つこと。そこはもうメンタル面でのチャレンジの域でしょうね。丸一年かけて、試合に向けてフィジカルを徹底的に鍛え上げても、本番でほんの少しでも不安な気持ちを抱けば、一瞬にしてその努力が台無しになってしまいます。闘いの場に立ったとき、自分を奮い立たせて、持てるものをすべて出しきることができる。その点において、彼は後世に語り継がれる存在となると思います。彼は見る人に刺激を与える。スケート界に彼のようなロールモデルがいるのは素晴らしいことです。若い選手たちは常に彼を目標にできます。そして彼自身も、そのような刺激を与え続けている。素晴らしいレガシーを彼はすでに遺してくれています。

Shae: He is one of the leaders in the world of figure skating today, a pioneer who has raised the level of this sport. He is respected not only by his fans but also by the whole figure skating world, because of his constant hard work and his fighting spirit in competitions, his brilliance and radiance. That's where the mental aspect comes in, I guess. You can spend a whole year working on all the physical aspects of the competition, but if you feel even the slightest bit anxious on the day of the competition, all that effort can be ruined instantly. When you're competing, you have to be able to pull yourself together and give it everything you've got. I think that's what will make him one to be remembered. He's an inspiration to everyone who sees him. It's great to have a role model like him in the skating world. Young skaters can always look up to him. And he himself continues to be such an inspiration. He has already left behind a great legacy.

シェイ  とても興味深かったですね。私は映画を見たり、いろいろな文化について学ぶのがとても好きで、人々についてや、彼らのヒストリーなどをいろいろと掘り下げて知りたいと思うタイブなんです。人は誰しもが、自分のストーリーを持っていますから。私は北米の出身ですが、これまでもずっといろいろなところを旅してきて、現役時代に師事した指導者たちも、さまざまな国から来た人たちでした。知らない土地に行ったり、そこの人々と触れ合ったり、かけがえのない体験をすることができました。そうした体験をすると、自分が変わります。そこで学んだことが自分の一部になる。振り付けをすることは素晴らしいな、と思えるのは、そうしたストーリーを表現できるところです。そして自分の中にある真の部分をそこに込めることができる。その世界に身を置けていることは本当に恵まれていると感じます。ご質問の意味も、よくわかります! たしかに、最初に「SEIMEI』にとりかかったときは、不思議でたまりませんでした。「なぜ私?」と(笑)。でも、そのあと、「彼は私の中から出てくるものを求めていたんだな」と気づきました。ですから、プログラムに関わる機会を得られたことは、とても名誉で、幸運だったと思っています。そして、今回も、この物語(『天と地と』)について学んだことが、これからも自分の中に残り続けます。

Q: Shae-Lynn, as someone who grew up in the Western culture, what is your impression of the world of the Japanese wartime era?

Shae: It is very interesting. I love watching films and learning about different cultures, and I'm the type of person who wants to know more about different people and their histories. Everyone has their own story to tell. I'm from North America, but I've travelled a lot, and the mentors I've had in my career have been from different countries. I've had the chance to go to places I've never been before, to meet the people there, and it's been an invaluable experience. Those experiences change you. What you learn there becomes a part of you. What's great about choreographing is that you can express those stories. And you can put the real part of yourself into it. I feel really blessed to be part of that world. I know exactly what you mean by your question! It's true that when I first started working on SEIMEI, I couldn't help wondering: "Why me? Why do I have to do this?" (laughs). But then I realized that he was looking for something that came from inside me. So I feel very privileged and lucky to have had the opportunity to be involved in the programme. And this time, too, what I learned about this story ("Heaven and Earth") will stay with me for a long time into the future.

シェイ    音楽のジャンル的には、同じようなものになるのかもしれません。日本の曲ですから。ただ、それ以外はとても違うものだと私自身は感じています。「SEIMEI」では、ユヅの新たな1面が見られました。ユーモアというか、なんと表現したらいいのでしょう(熟考して)……機知、荻滑さ、それは悪い意味のではなく、ちょっとユーモラスなキャラクターを思い描いていました。もちろん彼はそのような滑りはしていませんが、彼の姿を想像しながらあのプログラムをつくっていたとき、私のイメージにあったのは、もっと少年っぽい感じで、ちょっとミステリアスで、マジカルで、いたずらっ子っぼい感じのキャラクターでした! 自信満々で、同時に「自分が人類を救うんだ!」という、とてつもなく大きなチャレンジ精神も背負っている。暗雲を取り払って、「この世の中を、明るいものにするんだ!」という使命感のようなもの。それは、『天と地と」にも共通する部分がありますが、登場人物のキャラクターの成熟度が違っています。今回のプログラムは、より成長した、年齢を重ねたユツです。同じ日本をテーマにした曲ですが、私にとっては違ったプログラムですね。『SEIMEI」が、外に向かって表現していくものなら、『天と地と」は、内側を見つめるもの。両方とも、脆さを露呈する部分があるのですが、今回のプログラムのほうが、その要素は強いと思います。

Q: You mentioned "SEIMEI", what does it have in common with "Heaven and Earth" and what are the differences?

Shae: In terms of musical genre, they might be similar. They are both Japanese music pieces. But other than that, I feel that they are very different. In "SEIMEI", we saw a new side of Yuzu. I was imagining a character with a sense of humour, or how should I put it (pondering)..., cleverness, agility, not in a wrong way, but a bit humorous. Of course he doesn't skate like that, but when I was making that programme, imagining him, I had in my mind a more boyish character, a bit mysterious, magical, playful! He was confident, but at the same time he had a huge challenge: "I have to save the human race with my own hands!" "I'm going to make this world a brighter place". It's like a sense of a mission. It is something similar to "Heaven and Earth", but the maturity of the characters is different. This time the programme is a more grown-up, matured Yuzu. It's also a Japan-themed music, but it's a different programme for me. If "SEIMEI" is about outward expression, "Ten to Chi to" is about looking inwards. Both of them express fragility, but I think this programme has more of that.

シェイ  そう、今回はよりシリアスで、自分自身の人生を振り返るような内容です。『SEIMEI』は、人生の全盛期、絶好調期、といった感じです。どんな闘いにもひるんだりしない、怖いものなしのキャラクターです。

Shae: Yes, this time it's more serious, it's more about looking back on your own life. SEIMEI is about life at its peak, at its best. The character is not afraid of any kind of fight, he's not afraid of anything.

シェイ  彼はどういう人かをひと言で表わすなら、「面白くってかわいらしい人」。私がリンクで見るのは、くだけた様子の彼ばかりです(笑)。もちろん、ものすごく真剣にもなりますが、とてもオープンな人ですね。たとえば、いろいろなことを試すことをためらわないオープンさ。私が何かを提案したときも、「なんでもやってみよう」というマインドがあります。それに、一緒にいると、よく笑います。物理的な距離があってもそれは同じで、彼とはいつもそういう楽しい時間が持てるのです。あまりシリアスになりすぎるようなところはなくて、ジョークのセンKもあSます。さらに素敵なのは、常にコンペティターとしての顔も持っていること。闘いの場面になると、別のユヅになる。しっかり自分をコントロールして、集中する。そこには彼が持つ存在感が役立っています。そんなときは、そう、まるで別の惑星から来たような感じさえしますが、それを感じるのは、彼が完全にチューニングされていて、周りのことに一切煩わされないゾーンに入った状態になっているからです。そして、そのような状態になることで、彼は自分が求めているところへ到達できる。そして彼がエネルギーを放出すればするほど、それを見た人が受け取り、彼はそのオーディエンスから返ってくるエネルギーを感じ取るのです。逆に、そのエネルギーを得るために、彼のはうから種を蒔くこともできる。その瞬間のゾーンに入る術を、彼はマスターしているといえるでしょうね。

Q: Sometimes Hanyu is so amazing that I feel like he's from another planet. What kind of person is he normally?

Shae: If I had to describe him in one word, I'd say he's funny and cute. When I see him on the rink, he's just being silly (laughs). Of course, he can be very serious, but he's also very open. For example, he's not afraid to try things out. Whenever I suggest something, he's always ready to try it. And when we are together, we laugh a lot. It's the same despite the physical distance, and I always have a good time with him. He's not overly serious, and he's always up for a joke. Another thing is that he is a good competitor. When it comes to competition, he's a different character. He is in control and focused. He has a strong presence. In those moments, yes, he even seems to be from another planet, but this is because he is completely focused, he is in a zone where he is not bothered by anything. And by being in that state, he can do whatever he wants to do. And the more energy he radiates, the more his audience receives it, the more he feels the energy coming back to him. On the other hand, he can also create the energy from his own breath. You could say that he has mastered the art of getting into the zone at the right moment.

シェイセクションごとを見れば、とても素晴らしいですよね。その短いパートに全エネルギーを注ぎ込めるので。でも、それを全部合わせて4分間のプログラムにするのはとても難しいことなので、課題とするなら、エネルギーとパワーを、全力であらゆる動きに注ぎ込めるようにすること。高さのある動き、低めの動き。腕を広げた伸びやかな大きな動きなど、あらゆるムーブメントに関してです。それと合わせてすべての4回転ジャンプをこなすこと。エレメンツの難易度は上がる一方で、コンペティションである以上、難易度の高いものを盛り込むことは非常に重要になります。私が願うのは、プログラム全体をさらに高いレベルに昇華させること。そうすることで、見た人たちがより彼のストーリーを感じ取ることができ、彼の魔法にかかり、魅了される。彼のスケーティングを見ていて、次にジャンプがくるだろうなどとはまったく考えていなかったところでジャンプがくる、といったような。そのレベルに到達できるようにしていくことが私の目指しているところでもあります。軽々とエレメンツをこなして、観る者も予想させない動きをすること。すべてのスケーターをそのレベルに持っていきたい、と私自身が願っていることなのですが、シーズンを通して、日々ー緒に練習を続けて、段々に積み上げて追い込んでいくことで、多少のプレッシャーがある状況下でも、最低限の動きは出せるといったレベルに達することですね。

Q: If Hanyu continues to skate this program this season, what would you like to see him improve on?

Shae: If you practice a program by sections, it's great. Because you can put all your energy into that short part. But it's very difficult to put it all together in a four-minute programme, so the challenge is to put all the energy and power into every movement: high movements, low movements, big open arm movements. All the quads should be performed in harmony with it. The elements are becoming more and more difficult, and since this is a competition, it is very important to include more and more difficult elements. What I hope is to raise the whole programme to a higher level. In this way, the audience will be able to feel his story more, to fall under his spell and be fascinated by him. It's like watching him skate and seeing a jump that you never thought would come next. That's the level I'm trying to reach. To be able to do elements with ease, to be able to do movements that the audience would never expect. I want all my skaters to reach that level, and I hope that by practising every day throughout the season, building up and pushing them, they will reach a level where they will be able to do their best under pressure.

シェイそのとおりです。たとえば、あらゆるステップを限界まで高めていけるような。そのためにはやはりフルシーズンが必要です。1年間しっかりトレーニングして、より多くの数の大会をこなすことで、その域に到達することができるのです。大会で演じるたびに、次のパフォーマンスに向けてレベルを上げていくことができますから。なので、ユヅが必要とするだけの大会に出場できることを願っています。でも、いちばん大切なのは、彼が健康を維持して、ハッピーなシーズンを送ってくれることです。それらがそろえば、彼はさらに上の演技をしてくれますから!

Shay: That's right. For example, to be able to perform every step to the limit. It takes a full season, a full year of training and more competitions to get to that point. Every time you perform in a competition, you can improve your level for the next competition. So I hope that Yuzu will be able to participate in as many competitions as he needs to. But the most important thing is that he stays healthy and has a happy season. If he can do that, he will perform even better!

シェイ  彼に限らず、どのスケーターでも、見るときはとても緊張するんです! リンクサイドでなく、ビデオで見ているときでも。でも、スケーターが、落ち着いた状態で演技に挑もうとしているのが見えた瞬間、その緊張感がさっと消えて、演技を楽しめるようになります。その瞬間、彼らはきっといい演技をするだろう、という確信が持てるので。

でも本当に、大きな喜びですね。そのプロセスに携わることができて、そしてスケーターがその瞬間に立って、すべての要素をひとまとめにして、音楽とつながって、スピリットを共有する。彼らがそれができている姿を見ると、彼らのために本当に嬉しい気持ちになります。まるでギフトをもらったような気分です。

逆に彼らが満足いくパフォーマンスができなかったときは、彼らと同じように痛みを感じてしまいます。彼らが重ねてきた経験を思う存分生かして、積み上げてきたものを発揮してほしい、と心底願っているから。なので、感情が激しくアップダウンするジェットコースターのような感じになりますね(笑)。

私が常に抱いている思いは、スケーターが自分自身を表現する声を持つ助けになりたい、ということです。それができると、コンペティションで闘うことも、トレーニングに取り組むのもずっと楽になりますから。自分をしっかり感じて、何も隠さなくていいので自由に、そしてスケートすることが、いかに素晴らしく、美しいことかを思い出せるように。それをスケーターとシェアできて、つながれる。ユツやほかのスケーターたちとそれをできることが、私にとっての至上の喜びです。

Q: Isn't it a very satisfying feeling when a program that you have choreographed is performed as well as at last year's Japanese Nationals?

Shae: I get very nervous when I watch him, or any skater for that matter! Even when I'm not at the rink side, but watching them on video. But the moment I see a skater calmly preparing to perform, that nervousness quickly disappears, and I can enjoy the performance. At that moment, I am confident that they will perform well.

But really, it's a great joy. To be able to be a part of that process, and to see the skaters in that moment, bringing all the elements together, connecting with the music, sharing the spirit. Seeing them be able to do that makes me really happy for them. It's like a gift. On the other hand, when they don't perform well, I feel the same pain as they do. This is because I sincerely want them to make the most out of their experience and show what they have built up over the years. So it's like a roller coaster of ups and downs of emotions (laughs). But I'm very happy to be able to work with so many skaters on their programs. Especially, it's satisfying to be part of the creative process. I always want to help skaters to have a voice to express themselves. It's much easier to compete and train when you can do that. To be able to feel yourself, to be free to not have to hide anything, and to remember how wonderful and beautiful it is to skate. And I can share that with skaters and connect with them. To be able to do that with Yuzu and other skaters, that's my greatest joy.

シェイ  まずはありがとう、と。あなたのしてくれることすべてに対して。それから、私に、そしてみんなに、心を、魂を開いてくれてありがとう。あなたがリンクに上がること、それ自体が素晴らしい贈り物です。私には、そのためにあなたがどれだけ身を削っているかがわかっていますから。あなたと知り合えて、一緒に仕事ができたことは、私にとってこれ以上ない喜びです。スケートをしているときだけでなく、ただ普通に会うだけでも、私の人生であなたと知り合えたことに、感語しています。あなた自身の中にあるもの、自分の中から湧き上がるものを感じて、これからも滑り続けていってほしいと願います。自分の信念を貫いてスケートを続けてほしい。それがなんであれ、あなたの内側に存在するもので滑ること、そのことだけで、充分なのです。いえ、充分すぎるくらいです。人生は目の前にあるものすべてに感謝するには短すぎます。今回のパンデミックは、私たちにそのことを教えてくれました。このかけがえのない人生において、私たちは、周りの人たちと、彼らがいかに素晴らしいかをもっと伝え合うことが必要なのだと感じます。彼らがいかに愛され、感謝されているか。ユヅにも以前言ったことがあります。どれだけそれを聞いても傷つくものではないのだから、私たち誰もが、そうした声を聞くことが大切なんだよ、と。彼は私にとって本当に大切な存在です。彼がそこにいてくれることに、私は本当に感謝しています。そうそう、私の誕生日にメッセージをくれたのは嬉しかったですね。夫がメッセージビデオをつくってくれたのですが、そのなかにユヅもビデオメッセージを送ってくれたのは、本当に嬉しいサプライズでした。スペシャルギフトです。たしか全日本のあとだったと思います。スケーターたちのメッセージを集めたコラージュを夫が用意してくれて、そのオープニングがユヅのメッセージだったんです。とても嬉しかったですね。

Q: Thank you very much for this valuable talk. Lastly, please give your best wishes to Hanyu.

Shae: First of all, thank you. For everything you do. Then, thank you for opening your heart and soul to me, and to all of us. Your coming to the rink is a great gift in itself. I know how hard you work for it. I couldn't be happier to know you and to work with you. Not only when we skate, but also when we just see each other, I am so impressed to know you in my life. I hope you will continue to skate, feeling what is inside of you, and what comes out of you. I hope you will continue to skate with your own inner conviction. Whatever comes, skate with what's inside you, and that's enough. No, it's more than enough. Life is too short to not be thankful for everything that is right in front of you. This pandemic has taught us that. I feel that in this precious life, we need to do more to tell the people around us how wonderful they are. How much they are loved and appreciated. I've told Yuzu this before. I told Yuzu once that it is important for all of us to listen to those voices, because no matter how often we hear them, they are always healing. He is  really important to me and I am so grateful that he is there in my life. I was so happy when he sent me a message for my birthday. My husband made a video message for me, and Yuzu also sent me a video message, which was a very nice surprise. It was a special gift. I think it was after Japanese Nationals. My husband had prepared a collage of messages from skaters, and Yuzu's message was the opening one. I was very happy.

I want to thank heaven and earth for this interview. It's perfect timing, because there are many important quotes included that we need to complete the Wiki section about TenChi, so that the draft can finally be moved to the mainspace.

It's been quite a delay with the re-structuring and expansion of the Olympic seasons article... There was a lot of discussion whether it's appropriate to talk about "Olympic season" or "Olympic programs" in Yuzu's case at all, since he's not confirmed his participation yet, but eventually we agreed that an Olympic season is an Olympic season, with or without the Olympics, so we can't do really wrong if we include TenChi (and the new SP as soon as it's announced). There is so much to write about TenChi as a program, it really deserves an own section like Seimei and the other Olympic programs. Hopefully we get the page done until GP start :yes2:

2 hours ago, birnasan said:

Reveal hidden contents

ーそれは体力的にも非常に厳しいことですよね。

:thankssign:

*Goes back to watch Ten to chi to for the gazillionth time* 

56 分, sallycinnamonさんが言いました:

I hope everyone is safe.

I'm living near the epicenter, marked X on the map.  I was just about to take a bath.  The bottom of bath tub started jolting.  It was so scary :sad4:

I jumped out from the bathroom and put on clothes so quickly.  Now I'm at a loss thinking whether I should take a bath again.

But can you believe?  My husband did not wake up!  He is still sleeping without noticing anything  :sleepy:

I hear some ambulance running outside. The news says there are some people injured, but no worry about tsunami.

1 minute ago, SuzyQ said:

I'm living the near the epicenter, marked X on the map.  I was just about to take a bath.  The bottom of bath tub started jolting.  It was so scary :sad4:

I jumped out from the bathroom and put on clothes so quickly.  Now I'm at a loss thinking whether I should take a bath again.

But can you believe?  My husband did not wake up!  He is still sleeping without noticing anything  :sleepy:

I hear some ambulance running outside. The news says there are some people injured, but no worry about tsunami.

It sounds scary. I hope there aren't many injured though :(  

19 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

I'm living near the epicenter, marked X on the map.  I was just about to take a bath.  The bottom of bath tub started jolting.  It was so scary :sad4:

I'm sorry to hear this :sad4:  Stay safe :grouphug: