General Yuzuru Chat

On 2021/9/10 at 午後3時11分, Anniさんが言いました:

Credit:.@ShuPa933156524 on twitter

For those who are interested.  Prospectus video of Tohoku High School.

Famous graduates: Shizuka Arakawa, Takeshi Honda, Yu Darvish, Ai Miyazato, and of course Yuzuru Hanyu :tumblr_inline_n2pje2YFXq1qdlkyg:   

4 minutes ago, Anni said:

This is a voting, who is the most representative celebrity in Sendai?

Yuzu is currently on the 1th place with 41 %.: leg:

Here is the English translation

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fsendai-tushin.jp%2F2021%2F09%2F12%2Fpost-198606%2F

Thank you! Don't need the translation. I love to vote for Yuzuru when I don't understand ANY word but recognize his name somewhere and click.

Guest Mary_kyo
2 hours ago, hananistellata said:

So uh... any snippets of the documentary available yet?

I watched it but I skipped some parts (it was a torture tbh :weeping:). My Japanese understanding is not the best but it didn’t seem to have much of new information.

Edit: I was actually annoyed that they highlighted the 4S in LMEY as ‘not perfect landing’. He is always judged with different standards. I think the ending interview was a longer version tho.

Anyway, Worlds 2021 never happened.

On 9/12/2021 at 12:16 AM, KendallKlaire said:

Then, despite what Yuzu has claimed, I do believe he probably suffered an asthma attack the night before the free skate. Brian knew something was up because he was late and he sought the attention of a Russian doctor. The backstage footage of him really just hammered in that something was wrong.

From The Mainichi (https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20210329/p2a/00m/0sp/012000c):  During an online interview on March 28, Hanyu reflected on his physical condition during the event and said, "The asthma attack itself, I think I felt after my free program.". He confirmed having it on the competition day itself. Clearly, in a short video clip where he yanked off his mask, there were symptoms of asthma attack – he was out of breath and looking pale and exhausted  in his costume, with hair unstyled. This image was captured when  Keegan’s name was being announced in the background. Yes, I’ve read a Russian doctor attended to him and Brian waiting for him to turn up for his training (couldn’t recall if he was late or skipped it totally). It was also shared by others that Russian news reported he had the attack right before the Free. All these led me to believe the asthma attack happened at the rink, on Sat morning of the Men’s Free Skate.

Whether he was exposed to the trigger on Fri, hence the attack at night (as per the info you gathered) or on the day of the competition, the timing of the asthma attack was questionable to me as it would affect his performance or resulted in last minute withdrawal from the competition (if it’s life threatening). He had been at the rink everyday for practices and competition for the Short Program. There wasn’t any issue until the night before/day of the Free Skate? What was at stake here? Should Yuzu win his third World Championships title, it would upset the US narrative, wouldn’t bode well for their upcoming Olympic season. If there are people (I don’t mean the skaters but other interested parties) obsessed with titles, medals, WRs, pride and glory, they will go great length to achieve their goals. The case of Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan came to mind. I will stop here before I’m mistaken to be a crazy fanyu. Enjoy your Sunday.

Guest Mary_kyo
59 minutes ago, YuzuSkating_IsTheTruth said:

There wasn’t any issue until the night before/day of the Free Skate? What was at stake here? Should Yuzu win his third World Championships title, it would upset the US narrative, wouldn’t bode well for their upcoming Olympic season. If there are people (I don’t mean the skaters but other interested parties) obsessed with titles, medals, WRs, pride and glory, they will go great length to achieve their goals.

The timing of the asthma attack was really odd but I think it was just an unfortunate unlucky happening. I know Ghislain’s passport robbery story in gpf19 was also odd so it’s not helping to not raise suspicion. There is actually a rumor about what triggered his asthma but it’s better not to discuss on public forum.

You know what’s funny? Despite everything they have done to help Nathan win, they still cannot write off Yuzu’s chance to ruin all their plans :rofl2: Yuzu doesn’t need any other medals to prove anything and honestly, a 3rd OGM will not shush his haters, they will still ask for more to give him the goat title hahaha so their biased opinions don't really matter to me. I don’t care what will happen in Beijing. If ISU doesn’t treat FS as a sport, I won't take it serious as a sport too lol 

I’m just sure that we are going to witness some godly phenomenal performances from Yuzu that will go down the history and the birth of 4A. sooo exciting! :panic:

18 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

Aaaaargh - I don’t want documentaries, or popularity polls, or retrospectives,  I want a competition, or failing that some sort of media day reveal……😩

I feel with you. :consoling2: How like we would all to see Yuzu skate again, but unfortunately it still takes until his competition. Therefore help us every little crumb or content to survive the long drought.:smiley-angelic001:

18 hours ago, Mary_kyo said:

I watched it but I skipped some parts (it was a torture tbh :weeping:). My Japanese understanding is not the best but it didn’t seem to have much of new information.

It broke my heart back then to see him sitting in the Kiss & Cry so sad.:crybaby:

21 hours ago, hananistellata said:

So uh... any snippets of the documentary available yet?

Yes :yes: Here is a backstage scene with Anna Sherbakova and Shoma  

https://video.h5.weibo.cn/1034:4680752399581243/4680759766417815

Credit: @QuailAries on weibo

Perhaps this is off topic but I find Yuzu's apparent popularity in China fascinating (I am not Chinese so correct me if I am wrong)

Obviously Japan and China are hardly warm and friendly with each other, yet Yuzu is overwhelmingly more popular than any Chinese skaters (even Sui/Han) or Chinese-American skaters (ala Chen/Zhou). This is interesting in the context of China cracking down on celebrities that promote "unhealthy fandom behavior" which includes many Japanese and Korean celebrities. This sadly extends to male celebrities that "promote" effeminately since the Chinese government is quite concerned about preserving traditional masculinity in the nation. 

Now I am not seeking to write an essay about how I think Yuzu perfectly embodies femininity and masculinity on the ice, but given these recent developments I wonder if China's feelings (mostly the government's) toward Yuzu will change? Or if they are acknowledging Yuzu as being above these crackdowns. If we are going to breakdown into traditional ideas of masculinity, then being good at a sport is one way to be considered masculine, no? According to Beijing 2022's Twitter they seem quite desperate to have Yuzu compete to draw interest and now the Chinese embassy is acknowledging Yuzu's popularity in China. Yuzu also has those healthy gyoza products selling in Hong Kong if I'm not mistaken? I just think Yuzu's in a very interesting position and I wonder what his reception will be if he does go to Beijing next year. 

37 minutes ago, KendallKlaire said:

Perhaps this is off topic but I find Yuzu's apparent popularity in China fascinating (I am not Chinese so correct me if I am wrong)

Obviously Japan and China are hardly warm and friendly with each other, yet Yuzu is overwhelmingly more popular than any Chinese skaters (even Sui/Han) or Chinese-American skaters (ala Chen/Zhou). This is interesting in the context of China cracking down on celebrities that promote "unhealthy fandom behavior" which includes many Japanese and Korean celebrities. This sadly extends to male celebrities that "promote" effeminately since the Chinese government is quite concerned about preserving traditional masculinity in the nation. 

Now I am not seeking to write an essay about how I think Yuzu perfectly embodies femininity and masculinity on the ice, but given these recent developments I wonder if China's feelings (mostly the government's) toward Yuzu will change? Or if they are acknowledging Yuzu as being above these crackdowns. If we are going to breakdown into traditional ideas of masculinity, then being good at a sport is one way to be considered masculine, no? According to Beijing 2022's Twitter they seem quite desperate to have Yuzu compete to draw interest and now the Chinese embassy is acknowledging Yuzu's popularity in China. Yuzu also has those healthy gyoza products selling in Hong Kong if I'm not mistaken? I just think Yuzu's in a very interesting position and I wonder what his reception will be if he does go to Beijing next year. 

Yuzu is a superstar in Winter Olympics, that's for sure. I'm not surprised that Beijing 2022 wants to promote their games with Yuzu, but the orgainzing committee does not represent people. The anti-Japanese vibe is very popular since the Tokyo Olympics. Yuzuru has so many Chinese fans, and fans are attacked because they dare to fave a Japanese more than the Chinese FS team. Yuzuru has also been attacked for ridiculous reasons, such as liking BTS (because BTS said something like they were sorry for the men and women who suffered in Korean War, in which SK fought against NK and China), and Yuzu's fans dare to call themselves "(Hanyu) Party Members" (considered as disrespectful to CCP, obviously they think there is only one party in the world). 

I didn't expect all these before Tokyo Olympics but patriotic netizens can become really crazy in a very short period of time. That's why sometimes I wish Yuzuru is not so well known in China. Probably those Chinese people who are not heard on the internet are still the majority, but sadly they are not heard and the language seen on the internet was scary.

Regarding China's cracking down on celebrities that promote "unhealthy fandom behavior", according to my observation, their main targets were Korean idols and Chinese celebrities. I'm not aware of any Japanese stars influenced by this. 

Hong Kong is quite a different story from mainland China. HK people loves everything about Japan so there are many mega Japanese supermarkets in HK. So I have to say I can't assume Yuzu gyoza on shelf is because of the popularity of Yuzuru. But anyway I'm glad I can buy Yuzu gyoza in HK. 

1 hour ago, JanMary said:

Yuzu is a superstar in Winter Olympics, that's for sure. I'm not surprised that Beijing 2022 wants to promote their games with Yuzu, but the orgainzing committee does not represent people. The anti-Japanese vibe is very popular since the Tokyo Olympics. Yuzuru has so many Chinese fans, and fans are attacked because they dare to fave a Japanese more than the Chinese FS team. Yuzuru has also been attacked for ridiculous reasons, such as liking BTS (because BTS said something like they were sorry for the men and women who suffered in Korean War, in which SK fought against NK and China), and Yuzu's fans dare to call themselves "(Hanyu) Party Members" (considered as disrespectful to CCP, obviously they think there is only one party in the world). 

I didn't expect all these before Tokyo Olympics but patriotic netizens can become really crazy in a very short period of time. That's why sometimes I wish Yuzuru is not so well known in China. Probably those Chinese people who are not heard on the internet are still the majority, but sadly they are not heard and the language seen on the internet was scary.

Regarding China's cracking down on celebrities that promote "unhealthy fandom behavior", according to my observation, their main targets were Korean idols and Chinese celebrities. I'm not aware of any Japanese stars influenced by this. 

Hong Kong is quite a different story from mainland China. HK people loves everything about Japan so there are many mega Japanese supermarkets in HK. So I have to say I can't assume Yuzu gyoza on shelf is because of the popularity of Yuzuru. But anyway I'm glad I can buy Yuzu gyoza in HK. 

Thank you for your response! Because I am not from China or HK I was very curious what the situation was there. 

It is quite sad how people attack each other online just because of what they like, though it may ultimately be dangerous to go against the grain with the CCP in charge...I am still quite curious how Yuzu will be received if he does compete in Beijing. I remember the Chinese commentators waxing poetry about his performance which was quite moving to hear, but again, we'll see.

14 minutes ago, KendallKlaire said:

Thank you for your response! Because I am not from China or HK I was very curious what the situation was there. 

It is quite sad how people attack each other online just because of what they like, though it may ultimately be dangerous to go against the grain with the CCP in charge...I am still quite curious how Yuzu will be received if he does compete in Beijing. I remember the Chinese commentators waxing poetry about his performance which was quite moving to hear, but again, we'll see.

Year 2018 was a long time ago and things change fast. I only wish for his health and happiness if Yuzu chooses to compete in Beijing. 

3 hours ago, lajoitko said:

[NEWS]

even if few new clips and it's Stockholm, I'll hoard this one too (and if a higher quality version will pop up, of course I'll get that one too). In the thread, there are also the new snippets. I must say that i was :tumblr_inline_n2pjd648pi1qdlkyg: at the clip of him running, more often than not we see his "naruto run" rather than a normal run:laughing:

in other news, Sota Yamamoto is one of the two missing names of male skaters for JO. Hence, chances of Yuzu taking part in Japan Open were further halved:drama:

There's only one spot left, and it could be Yuma if he's healed enough, Koshiro if he goes back from Switzerland, or maybe Luca Tsuyoshi who I think is already gonna perform at Carnival on ice?

(Wakaba is the last lady, plus Akiko and Shizuka as guest. I like them, so JO looks very appealing this season. I just hope they won't have certain US skaters on videocall this time)

thank you @JanMary for the insights on how views are in China!

the topic of Yuzu and his huge popularity in China is fascinating to me too, because historically and culturally as far as I can tell, there are both reasons to be surprised but also reasons why it shouldn't be surprising that someone with Yuzuru's performing style, believes and life philosophy is appreciated there. Like, I believe that e.g. Ten to Chi to would resonate deeply with chinese culture.

Spoiler

The recent developments I'm hearing about re: entertainement industry are a bit worrying, but I've also seen people claim that there are some false info circulating... I have no way of verify the info first-hand one way or the other, so idk what to think :14066882:

For sure, the violent backlash (that intersected with anti-japanese feelings) that olympians like e.g. Daiki Hashimoto got was pretty intense. I guess that might have been similar to the treatment Adelina got post Sochi, so not exaclty something never heard before, but it got me worrying what general audience might say of Yuzuru :/

Obviously, chinese fs fans are mostly fanyus, but even if many, they are still a minority compared to the "locals" that watch and commentate on Oly games (not only true for Chinese audience obviously, but China is gonna be the host this time).

The OWG scheduling for FS makes me think that Beijing organizers coudln't care less about Men's skating, since they are clearly privileging pairs (iirc the last event?), the one event they have a strong and realistic contender for Gold. They have uncerimoniusly thrown Men's under the bus instead, since team FS is the day before Men's SP:13877886:  Which makes the Beijing account being so desperate about Yuzuru's partecipation kind of puzziling. Maybe they want both the appeal both to the larger fs audience (who is full of fanyus with all the media interest it brings) and to domestic audience with their pairs' quest for gold, still one of the most popular winter sports.

Also, //conspiracy theory//

I confess that I had the chilling thought that, behind the scenes, China and USA could actually form an alliance to back each other in men's and pairs: both have high stakes in their respective fields, and S/H (and P/J) face the politicking of rusfed in their quest to get a OGM on home ice. Pairs also happen to be a discipline USA has 0 interest in. It could look like China doesn't have much to offer in change (since N is backed by literally everyone), but the friendship of the host is always a good thing (and there might also be help for the color of the team medal).

I know USA and China can't stomach each other in many fields, but who knows what can happen when there's a common interest (because objectively and despite how much it pains me thinking about that, the chance of S/H being defeated on Beijing ice by any among T/M, B/K and M/G is a very real possibility and it would be kind of odd if orgs knew this left rusfed free to do what it pleases them. I'm sure they woudln't want a Stockholm21 happening in Beijing)

I wanted ot share this Yuzu fanvid to Do not go gentle into that good night. (there are multiple voiceovers and I think background music from Interstellar)

The montage and vid are lovely, but I feel it's somewhat hominous too:tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:  especially when it says season 2021-22:smiley-scared003:

though it kind of fits, the Good night could be because Yuzuru's competitive career isn't gonna last that much longer, like it or not. His Nessie quest is his "not going gentle"... I also feel one might read it as if the Night is coming for FS as a whole, and Yuzuru, who loves FS more than anyone else, is still fighting for it, for his kind of FS. Rage, rage against the dying of the light!  It feels beautiful and inspiring but also dramatic:dpooh:

Sorry, I'm a bit emo :consoling2:

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1d341117au

(An aside, I thought this combo of music+lyrics would have been a nice idea for a P/C program, I like it better than what they used for their 2019-20 FD:68556365:)