General Yuzuru Chat

I think part of the issue with Cup of China was logistics for a "small" GP event in Chongqing and lack of international flights/quarantine. They may have decided it wasn't worth it to hold it and focus all resources for things connected directly to the Olympics (I believe Asian Trophy test event is still set).

I think this is just the start of it though, there are bound to be other challenges with the other Grand Prix events in other countries with border restrictions and quarantine measures. As of now I heard there were issues with Russian skaters getting Visas to the US and France, and I'm not even sure if Japan has set a date or criteria for entry into the country despite holding WTT last year. Canada is expected to open borders to those vaccinated in October but they had also cancelled their JGP event, and I expect things could change in the next coming weeks on that front as well.

Honestly I think they need to abandon the traditional model GP series + Final competition model again since I don't see how it's currently possible or will be possible by October-December.

16 hours ago, amylance1215 said:

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

🤔..... Dare I disagree with him?

The fact that a jump is executed correctly and "cleanly" doesn't necessarily mean that it's "artistic" imo. And incorrect, ugly jump still can have some expression value.

In the same way I can imagine badly executed spiral well implemented into performance and good spiral put into program without muh thought.

And on top of that there is not a single word about jumps in components chart.

Well, it was probably just a quick example since his thesis was about jumps.

Because I'm sure it will be possible to analyse and quantify most aspects of PCS. Not only SS and TR (that's obvious) but also things like cleanliness and variety of movements, movements matching rhytm of music, ice coverage of program and it's structure etc

I feel they'll still gl through with the Olympics. Given that Tokyo forged ahead, I wouldnt be too shocked if China was sacrificing CoC to put more focus on the bigger event. Then too, given how things have been lately, Im not sure if the politicians will accept that Japan could do it, but they cant/wont-even if I personally feel postponing would be fine.

As for seeing Yuzuru. Noope. Faith is gone to see him compete live. However, faith in seeing him in a Fantasy on Ice or some ice show? Alive and well.

30 minutes ago, Kat said:

I feel they'll still gl through with the Olympics. Given that Tokyo forged ahead, I wouldnt be too shocked if China was sacrificing CoC to put more focus on the bigger event. Then too, given how things have been lately, Im not sure if the politicians will accept that Japan could do it, but they cant/wont-even if I personally feel postponing would be fine.

As for seeing Yuzuru. Noope. Faith is gone to see him compete live. However, faith in seeing him in a Fantasy on Ice or some ice show? Alive and well.

Tokyo forged ahead - but a year postponed. Will they postpone?

9 hours ago, Pammi said:

Phil Hersch has tweeted about this, and intimated concern about the Beijing Olympics.

If China are saying they cannot manage a small GP event safely in early November due to international flights/Covid restrictions/inability to manage bubble systems, do we think they will be able to manage the (much much bigger with many more countries involved) Winter Olympic Games just 12 weeks later? :yuzuhuh:

Asia Open is going ahead so the fact that CoC is cancelled doesn't say much. 

Also, I do think it's about the logistics being a real headache. 

PS: Seeing that the country is applying a flexible approach to handling Covid, even Asia Open may be cancelled at any time for all we know. 

PPS: Maybe moving this topic to the General Skating Chat thread?

8 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

This is immediately what I thought when I saw this news. Many, many more people from all over the world will be involved and the competitions will take place in different venues and locations during the Olympics. It would be unreasonable to quarantine all the athletes for weeks before the comps.

It's not looking good for the Olympics. At the very least, I think it's quite certain that no audiences will be allowed. I wouldn't be surprised if the Beijing Olympics would also be postponed.

I read somewhere some times ago that indeed no audience would be allowed. Plus, the total number of athletes, coaches and so on would be limited to 30,000. 

I agree that China probably gave up CoC as it's not really that important and I can easily imagine them thinking it's not worth the effort and potential trouble. If they held CoC and something bad happened, a lot of people would question their ability to hold the Olympics. Also, because of the structure of GPS, international participants to CoC - skaters, coaches, staff - would be unable to properly quarantine ahead of the event. That's not really and issue with the Olympics, when athletes can fly in early, be put in proper bubbles and continue their training in these bubbles, while also being tested regularly etc. The Olympics being the Olympics gives them a lot more freedom to impose safety measures - and it's unlikely many will protest, especially given the numbers coming out of Japan.

I tend to think China puts China and Chinese people's safety - even if only because the economy suffers if your people are sick and/or dying, so it's in your best interest to do everything to quickly stop a pandemic; it's amazing how many other countries in the world fail to understand this... that super strict measures for a short time are better than more lax measures for a long time - first, so they will take decisions that benefit China first and foremost. If they have difficulties handling this new wave of infections or they get hit by another near the Olympics, I would not be surprised even if they postpone or cancel. But right now, the Olympics is way too far ahead to say anything. CoC itself is really far away and it's possible that by November, China will be safer to hold a competition in than other places, but they had to make a decision early on to give another country a chance to hold the GP event as well, and this was surely the easiest decision.

While I'm not sure about the specifics, China is dealing with a new wave of infections and they do appear to have been quick to take measures against it, but I'm not sure if we are at a point where it's possible to draw a conclusion on those measures' efficiency yet. It is easier for them to take strict measures, though, so I expect they will and likely end this wave fairly quickly. But we'll see.

(And I really hope Yuzu doesn't get reassigned to Helsinki - if they get the GP - because I would honestly be too torn about it. Traveling doesn't feel safe to me at all, even as a fully vaccinated person, but it would hurt like hell to give up the chance of seeing Yuzu again. But I've had covid and even if it was super mild, I most definitely do not want to risk getting it again. So, best not to have to make that choice...)

26 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

(And I really hope Yuzu doesn't get reassigned to Helsinki - if they get the GP - because I would honestly be too torn about it. Traveling doesn't feel safe to me at all, even as a fully vaccinated person, but it would hurt like hell to give up the chance of seeing Yuzu again. But I've had covid and even if it was super mild, I most definitely do not want to risk getting it again. So, best not to have to make that choice...)

I don't think Yuzu will get reassigned to Helsinki (which we are not even sure it will be Helsinki or elsewhere) unless 1) For some reasons Yuma wants to switch/has to give up the GP, 2) For some reasons Yuzu can't enter Russia. Politics and whatever aside (if they indeed did play a prominent role), Yuzu didn't not really have much of a say in choosing the assignments since N then Yuma got to pick before him.

PS: Or, you know, the GP gets cancelled altogether.

1 hour ago, Melodie said:

I don't think Yuzu will get reassigned to Helsinki (which we are not even sure it will be Helsinki or elsewhere) unless 1) For some reasons Yuma wants to switch/has to give up the GP, 2) For some reasons Yuzu can't enter Russia. Politics and whatever aside (if they indeed did play a prominent role), Yuzu didn't not really have much of a say in choosing the assignments since N then Yuma got to pick before him.

Oh, I agree, I think the chance of being reassigned is very small. In 2018 it worked because the switch from CoC to Helsinki was done before the GP assignments (IIRC). This time, it's too late.

I just mentioned it since someone else was talking about that possibility. But I very much doubt it will happen. Honestly, canceling the GP would make a lot more sense at this point, but we know how the ISU is...

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

Oh, I agree, I think the chance of being reassigned is very small. In 2018 it worked because the switch from CoC to Helsinki was done before the GP assignments (IIRC). This time, it's too late.

I just mentioned it since someone else was talking about that possibility. But I very much doubt it will happen. Honestly, canceling the GP would make a lot more sense at this point, but we know how the ISU is...

You think they will throw the GP away if visa issues persist for Russian skaters and coaches?

2 hours ago, Melodie said:

Canceling a GP costs ISU money, and I think an athlete's wishes will take a backseat if the ISU can hold the GP instead of canceling. All they have to do is to pressure JSF into  switching Yuzu with Yuma, so that Yuzu gets COC-replacement + IDF, and Yuma gets NHK + COR.

That said, reassigning Yuzu to the replacement GP with the hope of selling out that event only works if they really can sell tickets, and border restrictions are lifted, etc. So the chances of seeing Yuzu is still very slim.

New post from the FRaU magazine 

[NEWS]

This is only a rough translation (DeepL automatic translator)
FRaU August issue bonus story ①  The latest issue on the cover is a special feature on #SDGs. So ... Before the interview said Mr. Hanyu: "Nice to meet you. I can talk as much as I want about skating, but when it comes to SDGs, please take the lead Mr. Seki (FRaU's editor-in-chief). Thank you." Thank you for the greeting ♪

I hope there will be a better translation soon.