General Yuzuru Chat

6 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

and thus save the sport

He's been saving the sport for years already, and our lives too! (well, mine at least!) :wink_star:

But yes, the future of FS is there for Yuzuru to save - esp concerning judging, but I don't see many others standing up for it the way he does, or representing it as passionately and thoughtfully, or speaking out so encouragingly about all skaters and never dissing them, even though some don't pay him the same respect...no I'm not bitter, what ever gave you that idea?? :emoticonaci2019_2:

(though of course Yuzuru is also admired and idolised by so many skaters and coaches and choreographers and commentators who enthusiastically tell the world so!)

Oh Javi spoke up I remember (his comment to judges at Euros 2019)....anyone else around currently who will help Yuzuru save FS?  Maybe Nobu could - he made a start with calling out bullying/harassment in the sport! As did Yulia, Evgenia to some extent and Alina Kostornaia around the issue of abuse by coaches. Ashley Wagner too, about her experience of abuse, and safeguarding children in the sport - gosh so much to sort out, even Yuzuru can't do that alone I don't think! 

More positively, I have to say I was happy about the name of the Ladies event being changed to Women's Singles as words DO matter imo, and it was such an outdated term for the 21st century, but it is just a tiny weeny tip of the very big iceberg. 

Am I rambling on a bit??  :words:

I'll stop now!

13 hours ago, Pammi said:

....anyone else around currently who will help Yuzuru save FS?

I think there are probably hordes of skaters both present and past who would follow Yuzu if he decided to try and create an alternative to the ISU.  This is analogous to a movement by a number of the most prominent stars in the Hollywood of the late-silent era who deserted their current studios and formed a studio of their own which they called United Artists.  That is something I think terrifies the skating establishment because they know that if anyone can lead a movement to establish a new ISU it is Yuzu.  He has the intelligence, he has the charisma and I think he also has the willpower (if he should decide to do so) to see it through.  It wouldn't take much in the beginning.  Just a few of today's top skaters would begin the migration.   If enough skaters climb onboard and a competition schedule is created as an alternative to ISU's then you'll see a mass migration of most of the rest.  We'd see a skating version of a mantra of the Vietnam Era  - What if the ISU put on a skating competition and nobody came.  The proper answer is no one.  And if that were the case, well, good-bye ISU.

17 hours ago, Pammi said:

More positively, I have to say I was happy about the name of the Ladies event being changed to Women's Singles as words DO matter imo, and it was such an outdated term for the 21st century, but it is just a tiny weeny tip of the very big iceberg. 

The ISU replacing "ladies" with "women" was so overdue. When I first started following figure skating I wondered why the ISU was using such an archaic term in describing the women's discipline. It seemed to emphasize the femininity, daintiness and fragility of women's figure skating rather than its athleticism, strength and beauty.

It should be noted that the ISU did not reach its decision to replace "ladies" with "women" on its own volition. According to insidethegames, "The ISU said the move follows a recommendation from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Equality Review Project that there needs to be a fair and balanced portrayal in how men and women are presented and described."

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1109826/isu-ladies-women-council-decisions

The ISU could not or would not figure this out by itself.

This will sound weird but, I"m the opposite with  "woman/women." I hate them, like, abnormally so... for any word. It sounds so wishy/washy. I think lady/ladies commands respect, whereas woman/women is so weak. I am in my 40s and I know we're supposed to embrace it and think it's strong, but I just... can't. I can't even use it in every day language I hate it so much. Maybe it's the "wuh" sound. I also hate the word "moist"... just can't use it either. I think I'm an odd duck....

23 minutes ago, liv said:

This will sound weird but, I"m the opposite with  "woman/women." I hate them, like, abnormally so... for any word. It sounds so wishy/washy. I think lady/ladies commands respect, whereas woman/women is so weak. 

I actually agree! When you look up the word origin for 'woman' it's basically Old English for 'wife' which is just sad...Lady on the other hand, while yes, still implies some connection to a man, is a term that means it's a woman who deserves respect and you should obey.

I'm not much of a fan of the word woman, I'd prefer being called a lady.  I know that isn't universal, but I think the whole issue of what to call women's skating is such a non-issue compared to other problems plaguing the sport.

… but that is exactly the problem with the term “ladies” isn’t it? It conveys a hidden standard that women, by virtue of being called “ladies”, have to conduct themselves more respectably than men, who are called “men” instead of “gentlemen”.

It goes back to the tired adage of having women be the society’s moral gatekeepers, required to have higher moral standard. While men are assigned “boys will be boys”.

….no?

look, ideally, we should have men and women ‘judge’ by the same high standard. But until we as a society can do that, same low standard it is.. or just same average standard, if you will.

10 hours ago, hananistellata said:

Purple banana? How come? Is this an inside joke I've missed? :scratch3:

It's from LGC's lyrics lol

I'm not gonna let the elevator bring us down
Oh no, let's go, let's go crazy!
Let's get nuts
Let's look for the purple banana 'til they put us in the truck
Let's go!

8 hours ago, IceWings said:

World Standings for the 2021-22 season. Yuzu No. 1. <3

[NEWS]

I find it funny that when you click on the names, their bios come up and shows their stats and stuff. And under Yuzu's the hobbies are listed as:

Hobbies: none

Totally blindsided me, that one. I thought for sure I would see gaming there :grin:

11 hours ago, yuzupon said:

… But that's exactly the problem with the term "ladies", isn't it? It conveys a hidden standard that women, because they are called "ladies", should conduct themselves in a more respectable manner than men, who are called "men" instead of "gentlemen".

It goes back to the tired adage that women are the moral guardians of society, forced to have higher moral standards. While men are assigned "boys will be boys".

….no?

look, ideally, we should be men and women "try" on the same level  high. But until we as a society can do that, the same low level is ... or just the same mid level, if you will.

I intervene in relation to what I live in France and the rural world (which does not have the same mentality as in the city) and, therefore, have called "ladies" women who have a certain age and appearance around 40 years. and after and before, it is the term "mademoiselle" and this masculine norm (in certain corners) is very present and the men (and it is well the terms and not the gentlemen) have a certain "privilege" compared to the woman and the authority  :thumbsdown:too and, fortunately, it is more and more rare   , yes as it is written the "lady" had to be presentable ..... but currently and I think it, there is less gap between " men and women " 

17 hours ago, yuzupon said:

… but that is exactly the problem with the term “ladies” isn’t it? It conveys a hidden standard that women, by virtue of being called “ladies”, have to conduct themselves more respectably than men, who are called “men” instead of “gentlemen”.

It goes back to the tired adage of having women be the society’s moral gatekeepers, required to have higher moral standard. While men are assigned “boys will be boys”.

….no?

look, ideally, we should have men and women ‘judge’ by the same high standard. But until we as a society can do that, same low standard it is.. or just same average standard, if you will.

As a child of the American South who came of age in the time of the Civil Rights Movement, "ladies" carries connotations that make me cringe. In this country it's associated with a whole system of bigoted beliefs and practices designed to keep some people under the thumb of others.

In other times and places, the word undoubtedly doesn't carry those connotations, but I can't disentangle it from the historical and cultural context in which I know it. So, while I appreciate that others may prefer "ladies" for perfectly good and valid reasons, I am hugely relieved to see "women" replace it in FS.