General Yuzuru Chat

14 hours ago, Henni147 said:

.... I remember his former classmates reporting how Yuzu used to defend fellow students, who had been bullied or excluded at school, and even made friends with them. From what I read, he was not that type of kid who bent the knee to peer groups and followed the mainstream in order to appear "cool". He followed his own convictions and principles from very young age....

...However, when you represent a sport as a world champion, it's your job to learn to give proper interviews and think before you say something. Receiving a medal also means to take the responsibilities that go along with it. You become an ambassador of your sport and it's your duty to live up to that status. This is the step that sets the true champions and role models apart from the rest. This is one of the reasons why Yuzu is so loved and respected as an athlete and a person.

This reminds me of what Kikuchi-san said in his book about young Yuzu. This was his description of Yuzu doing an exercise on the balance beam:

He started to walk on the beam while making figure skating poses. Standing around watching him were some children who were quite mischievous. To be made to do figure skating poses and movements in front of everyone, normally you would feel that you're being made fun of, and feel conflicted.

However, Yuzuru confidently and naturally showed signature figure skating moves in front of his peers. In this sport of figure skating, if you feel embarrassed by the movements or the costume, you will not be able to keep going. Especially for a boy.

Source: https://yuzusorbet.tumblr.com/post/627491746405908480/translation-of-kikuchi-sans-book-a-friend

So this clearly shows that Yuzu endured the same teasing from other boys as a child, but being the cat that he is, he followed his own path and didn't feel the need to "be cool" and follow the mainstream.

I agree that responsibility comes along with being the champion of your sport. I do hold them to a higher standard because children and younger athletes look up to them as role models. Yuzu said that he was aware that all eyes were on him during DOI rehearsals so he felt it was important to put in his best effort. I don't think it's easy for him to always be the role model as he has said he always feels like he has to be "Yuzuru Hanyu", but he accepts that responsibility just like he accepted the responsibility of representing the disaster victims.

The following is in response to comments about N*, so I will put it under the spoiler.

Spoiler

With regards to his apology, I'm not sure if he had much choice. I mean, if I were his PR agency, I would definitely script an apology for him and demand that he stick to it exactly as written to make sure there were no additional unintentional blunders. If he wanted to write his own apology, I would have to review and approve it before I allow him to go public with it.

Unfortunately, a scripted apology is always going to sound insincere unless he's a good actor. Even though the apology was scripted, I will give him the benefit of the doubt and hope that he will do some soul searching and learn from this experience to become a better person.

I also don't like the vicious attacks which usually just result in a fan war. I hate that everything devolves into a fan war. It diminishes the seriousness of these issues.

I also wanted to say welcome back @KatjaThera! :balloons-smiley:   Missed you and glad that you're back!

1 hour ago, Fay said:

How many of you can get your graduation thesis mentioned in textbooks? :D 

The textbook even suggests searching by "羽生結弦" on the internet and the OP's daughter highlighted it saying, "The entrance to the swamp lol."

(○○沼にはまる (Stuck in the (name of something) swamp) is an expression that means someone is into something, crazy about something, or addicted to something):tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
21 minutes ago, Fay said:

Nobunari Oda about Yuzu 

[NEWS]

aww I love how Nobu talks about Yuzu - you can always feel the warmth there. I bet Yuzuru IS a demanding guy - when people have high standards of themselves, they often have high standards of others , so Nobu, BE PREPARED NEXT TIME there's a Yuzu in the house!!! 

8 hours ago, lynnidolz said:

I was just rewatching heaven&earth from jnats and once again i felt in love with it.I just wondering why the program didn't get much love compared to Yuzu other program.Even LMEY get so much recognition.Is it because of the japanese theme?but Seimei get so much recognition..or is it because the two times it was perform internationally it was not clean?

I think Seimei is much easier to understand for non-Japanese people. The Seimei music is so strong and extroverted, these hypnotic rhythms are so captivating, you don't need to understand Japanese culture to be carried away, and the costume is just WOW.  

For Western people, the H&E costume may look a bit old-fashioned, and the music is just not as captivating as Seimei. Honestly, I love the Japanese parts in the music, but the orchestral parts just sound to me like some random film music (and not even very good film music). The music doesn't leave a deep impression. And then, for me, the biggest problem of H&E is the very beginning: The music builds up to this huge climax right before the 4Lo, but it is not reflected in the choreography at all, this moment feels just empty and the attention of the audience may get a bit lost. When I saw it for the first time, I immediately thought that this program was created for having 4A as the first jump, the entire tension of the program would be totally different, I get goosebumps just imagining it. Then the rest of the program is so incredibly beautiful, but it is so soft and introverted that maybe not everyone can understand it. Maybe people need beauty in their own hearts to understand the beauty of H&E. And maybe, like H&L, it is a program that only shows its entire beauty when it is clean. 

This all sounds critical, but I don't mean it that way, my English is just not good enough to express myself more nuanced. I just want to say that I can understand why not everyone was impressed by H&E. But for me, this program has a very special place in my heart, because the FS at Nationals was the moment I completely fell for Yuzu. I had always liked watching figure skating and Yuzu was my favorite skater since about 2013, but I had never been obsessed and never followed him closely. I still don't know what really happened to me while watching Nats. At that time, I was depressed and self-destructive and I didn't think about figure skating at all, but I accidentally got a link for JNats - and Mr. Hanyu kindly changed my life. LMEY made me excited, but H&E filled my heart with pure joy and light, it made me feel like flying for days. I have never experienced something like that before, I still don't know what happened to me, but it feels like a spiritual experience. And this is the power that H&E can pass on.

Sorry for writing so much and sorry for my English, but H&E just makes me emotional, lol.

By the way, of course it is just me and I am not important, but I am so tired of negativity. Would it be possible to discuss N in the USA thread only?

1 hour ago, birnasan said:

I think Seimei is much easier to understand for non-Japanese people. The Seimei music is so strong and extroverted, these hypnotic rhythms are so captivating, you don't need to understand Japanese culture to be carried away, and the costume is just WOW.  

For Western people, the H&E costume may look a bit old-fashioned, and the music is just not as captivating as Seimei. Honestly, I love the Japanese parts in the music, but the orchestral parts just sound to me like some random film music (and not even very good film music). The music doesn't leave a deep impression. And then, for me, the biggest problem of H&E is the very beginning: The music builds up to this huge climax right before the 4Lo, but it is not reflected in the choreography at all, this moment feels just empty and the attention of the audience may get a bit lost. When I saw it for the first time, I immediately thought that this program was created for having 4A as the first jump, the entire tension of the program would be totally different, I get goosebumps just imagining it. Then the rest of the program is so incredibly beautiful, but it is so soft and introverted that maybe not everyone can understand it. Maybe people need beauty in their own hearts to understand the beauty of H&E. And maybe, like H&L, it is a program that only shows its entire beauty when it is clean. 

This all sounds critical, but I don't mean it that way, my English is just not good enough to express myself more nuanced. I just want to say that I can understand why not everyone was impressed by H&E. But for me, this program has a very special place in my heart, because the FS at Nationals was the moment I completely fell for Yuzu. I had always liked watching figure skating and Yuzu was my favorite skater since about 2013, but I had never been obsessed and never followed him closely. I still don't know what really happened to me while watching Nats. At that time, I was depressed and self-destructive and I didn't think about figure skating at all, but I accidentally got a link for JNats - and Mr. Hanyu kindly changed my life. LMEY made me excited, but H&E filled my heart with pure joy and light, it made me feel like flying for days. I have never experienced something like that before, I still don't know what happened to me, but it feels like a spiritual experience. And this is the power that H&E can pass on.

Sorry for writing so much and sorry for my English, but H&E just makes me emotional, lol.

Firstly, your English is excellent!

Secondly, oh my goodness what a beautiful thing happened to you as a result of watching Yuzuru perform Ten to Chi to - it really brought tears to my eyes.  I honestly believe Yuzuru and his art/skating can bring about healing for people, I also fell in love with this programme when I saw it at JNats - I think Yuzuru actually said it was a programme which needed to be skated clean (didn't he fellow satellites??) - it was just magical on that day.  

12 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

Welcome to everyone! 

(please read the following with Sir David Attenborough's voice)

The natural Hanyudian rhythm is manifesting... As soon as August, the old media days, kicks in, Fanyus begin to prepare for the following season and flock back to their known gathering spots. 

12 hours ago, tafattsbarn said:

Hmmmm, now that you mention it.... A documentary on the habitual behavioral cycles of fanyus narrated by Sir David Attenborough would be very interesting indeed...... There's so much to discover about these passionate but oh so elusive fanyu ceatures :gla: 

10 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

Indeed! The migrations that take place from September till May, how every four years a great Gathering of distressed Fanyus is observed in a different city in the world, the scary hivemind, their fascination with winged creatures such as swans... So many things to discover!

:laughing: This community is so great! Welcome back seasoned Fanyus :wave: if I may say so.

1 hour ago, birnasan said:

By the way, of course it is just me and I am not important, but I am so tired of negativity. Would it be possible to discuss N in the USA thread only?

:grouphug:

I don't know if anyone has realized it, but since the start of the Tokyo Olympics Yuzu's Seimei performance on the Olympic Channel has moved up by more than 500K views and has reached 18.34 mio. views in total!!  :surprised_pikachu:

He is not even at the Olympics in person, but he is still omnipresent :smiley-laughing021:

1 minute ago, Henni147 said:

I don't know if anyone has realized it, but since the start of the Tokyo Olympics Yuzu's Seimei performance on the Olympic Channel has moved up by 500K views and has now reached 18.34 M in total!!  :surprised_pikachu:

He is not even there in person, but he is still omnipresent :smiley-laughing021:

I mean, he trended on Douyi (I think that's how it is spelt?) for NOT being in the Tokyo Olys. People (including me) have experienced getting questions from friends and relatives about why he doesn't compete in Tokyo so :xD:

7 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

I don't know if anyone has realized it, but since the start of the Tokyo Olympics Yuzu's Seimei performance on the Olympic Channel has moved up by more than 500K views and has reached 18.34 mio. views in total!!  :surprised_pikachu:

He is not even at the Olympics in person, but he is still omnipresent :smiley-laughing021:

....................I do admit i've been rewatching his olympic performances an unhealthy amount of times these past few days v-v The games being on just makes me want to relive it all, i suppose :sigh:

I can't believe we're so close to the next winter games, it feels surreal 

I had to think about that mysterious SP for the new season... what it could be... I still have absolutely no idea tbh.

All we know: it's a program that only Yuzuru Hanyu can do.

However. What I would 100% celebrate:

1. John Cage: 4'33''
    Definitely a music piece that only Yuzu can bring to life. Absolutely no one else.
    Would love to hear the media's reaction to that genius move :smiley-laughing021:
    (Especially after saying that he couldn't present it at DOI because of the music cut lolololol)

2. Europe: The Final Countdown
    Considering that Yuzu set himself the goal to land the 4A this season... it truly feels like a final countdown :13877886:
    I'm sure, he would bring the house down with that program. Even the spiders and cockroaches in the arena would go wild :laughing:

3. Gloria Gaynor: I will survive

Weren't you the one who tried to hurt me with goodbye?
    You think I'd crumble? You think I'd lay down and die?

Oh no, not I. I will survive!

This would be the sweetest message to all people who have been wishing him into retirement from day 1  :LOL:
2 hours ago, Henni147 said:

wow! yuzu rulez XD
anyway, in my opinion, seimei needs to be watched at least once a day <3
energy boost every single time!