General Yuzuru Chat

Welcome back, @KatjaThera! You've been very missed! Glad to have your thoughtful perspectives back.  

Also, welcome to the Planet,  @YuzuSkating_IsTheTruth! I hope you enjoy your stay. 

Sorry,  I wanted to do this all as one big post, but the way the quote post function works on my phone is demented and won't let me lead a quote post with other text first, so see below for further discussion. 

15 hours ago, thebellsjar said:

Hi besties, I hope everybody is doing great. I've been a bit out of the loop on the FS drama since the Formula 1 championship took over my whole life (ikr the duality of man, I love pretty ice skating performances and fast cars going vroom vroom and both worlds have so much drama!), so anyway, I read what Nathan Chen said about figure skating being a "LGBTQ dominated sport", and LMAO boy he set himself up for the backfire with that one, and then kind of apologised for saying that. BUT I try to be as fair as possible and not hate on him for things he can't avoid, like being madly overscored in situations he clearly didn't deserve * coughs any of his PCS tbh coughs * so I would like to hear the take from you girlies since I'm too lazy and tbh don't care enough about him to do a proper research. Do you guys think he was genuinely misinterpreted or he's just trying to save some face now? I'm sorry if this topic has already been covered a lot here, I'm not trying to shit stirr, I'm just curious of what other FS fans think of that and the planet is the only "safe space" for me to post without being accused of being a blind fanyu just for not really vibing with Nathan.

Anyway, sorry if this is a touchy topic or if I'm breaking any rules for bringing this up so late in the game, I'm just really lost lol.

I gave most of my reactions to this controversy over in the Team USA thread, but since you asked: 

Spoiler

To begin with, I don't really expect much social consciousness out of most people. I'm pretty cynical and have a wide variety of experiences that have taught me that it's plain unreasonable to expect any individual human to be any better than they have to be.  Consequently,  while I was surprised by Nathan's comments, I wasn't shocked or hurt by them. I was angered that yet again,  this whole idea that "real men don't figure skate" got raised. Because it's untrue. 

So, what I expect from Nathan is exactly what I'd expect from any other young man of similar upbringing and background. I don't really see the value in deciding that being a sports champion somehow means we should hold another human being to a higher standard than we would hold for ourselves. So I disagree with the level of viciousness directed against him on social media in response to his words. Because being vicious towards somebody doesn't change their mind or bring them to a better understanding of their error, it uust makes them feel defensive and angry with you. If you'll notice, Yuzu understands this very well. Even when he has ample reason to call someone out, he only ever delivers the most light and gentle of rebukes or shade, and always leaves plenty of room for the other person to save face. ( Think of his 'I hope those rotations were okay for the toe!" at SCI '19.) I think that as his satellites, it behooves us to follow his example whenever it becomes necessary to deliver corrective guidance to the people we encounter. Including to someone like N*than.  

Thus, while I disagree with NC's words on the topic, and wish he had not said them, because I do think he knows better, I also strongly disagree with the way some parts of social media were baying for his blood. That type of interaction is never going to fix the problem.  

As for his apology, I believe he meant it. I also believe that he followed the formula he's been taught to follow for apologies, which can come off as insincere. 

And this is the last I will say on this topic, because it's starting to swallow the forums.

16 hours ago, thebellsjar said:

Hi besties, I hope everybody is doing great. I've been a bit out of the loop on the FS drama since the Formula 1 championship took over my whole life (ikr the duality of man, I love pretty ice skating performances and fast cars going vroom vroom and both worlds have so much drama!), so anyway, I read what Nathan Chen said about figure skating being a "LGBTQ dominated sport", and LMAO boy he set himself up for the backfire with that one, and then kind of apologised for saying that. BUT I try to be as fair as possible and not hate on him for things he can't avoid, like being madly overscored in situations he clearly didn't deserve * coughs any of his PCS tbh coughs * so I would like to hear the take from you girlies since I'm too lazy and tbh don't care enough about him to do a proper research. Do you guys think he was genuinely misinterpreted or he's just trying to save some face now? I'm sorry if this topic has already been covered a lot here, I'm not trying to shit stirr, I'm just curious of what other FS fans think of that and the planet is the only "safe space" for me to post without being accused of being a blind fanyu just for not really vibing with Nathan.

Anyway, sorry if this is a touchy topic or if I'm breaking any rules for bringing this up so late in the game, I'm just really lost lol.

Welcome back - but, what? There is some other sport to watch?  It's a relief to have only one sport I am truly passionate about following (not that there aren't other sports I enjoy watching or participating in) - though, really, it has been a very dry 18 months being a FS fan - it's necessary to have other interests.

2 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

Yuzu is truly an inspiration for so many people. This dress is beautiful! :201111231756430f6:

That is absolutely gorgeous :0 

I don't plan on getting married, but if life carries me in that direction then i for sure must get a Yuzu inspired dress or suit v-v No other option :p 

(and yes this is my annual pre-season return after my 3-4 month end of season figure skating black-out lol, hi everyone) 

Welcome to everyone! 

(please read the following with Sir David Attenborough's voice)

The natural Hanyudian rhythm is manifesting... As soon as August, the old media days, kicks in, Fanyus begin to prepare for the following season and flock back to their known gathering spots. 

Hello / Good evening planet Fanyu : here is the laughter of Yuzu and with a lot of Nobu with him  :knc_yuzu2: (his tears are moving)    and to hear his laughter is good and even Shoma laughs and a little relaxation does not hurt 

-ci and one on his humility and courtesy to everyone  :headdesk:  and in the comments, I as that marry Yuzu will be the luckiest woman in the world and also fortunate children (under good re serves good transla tion from me) and above is the wedding dress inspired by "Note stella ta"  :heartpound: : the packaging  is complete 

7 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

Welcome to everyone! 

(please read the following with Sir David Attenborough's voice)

The natural Hanyudian rhythm is manifesting... As soon as August, the old media days, kicks in, Fanyus begin to prepare for the following season and flock back to their known gathering spots. 

Hmmmm, now that you mention it.... A documentary on the habitual behavioral cycles of fanyus narrated by Sir David Attenborough would be very interesting indeed...... There's so much to discover about these passionate but oh so elusive fanyu ceatures :gla: 

1 hour ago, tafattsbarn said:

Hmmmm, now that you mention it.... A documentary on the habitual behavioral cycles of fanyus narrated by Sir David Attenborough would be very interesting indeed...... There's so much to discover about these passionate but oh so elusive fanyu ceatures :gla: 

Indeed! The migrations that take place from September till May, how every four years a great Gathering of distressed Fanyus is observed in a different city in the world, the scary hivemind, their fascination with winged creatures such as swans... So many things to discover!

I was just rewatching heaven&earth from jnats and once again i felt in love with it.I just wondering why the program didn't get much love compared to Yuzu other program.Even LMEY get so much recognition.Is it because of the japanese theme?but Seimei get so much recognition..or is it because the two times it was perform internationally it was not clean?

10 hours ago, lynnidolz said:

I was just rewatching heaven&earth from jnats and once again i felt in love with it.I just wondering why the program didn't get much love compared to Yuzu other program.Even LMEY get so much recognition.Is it because of the japanese theme?but Seimei get so much recognition..or is it because the two times it was perform internationally it was not clean?

IMO it is not what most people would expect from an FS program.

For one, its structure is unusual. Normally, you would see a program builds towards a climax, and the music and choreo will reflect this, as in, the more a program moves towards its end, the "grander" it becomes. Because H&E is not built this way (and that's why I think it is so, so difficult to perform and interpret, much more than H&L and Seimei TBH), it is a challenge to get used to. To some, it lacks the "build" and the "tension". There is also such a rich story behind H&E to the point it has become highly philosophical. Besides, the music is not entirely catchy. 

Personally, I love H&E for how different it is from a normal FS program, but I can see why it can be a challenge to get behind.

PS: I have to add this. IMO H&E really is a program that only "Yuzuru Hanyu" of the "now" can do, with all the ups and downs, highs and lows in both life and skating. It is a challenging piece, yes, but I'm so glad Yuzu decides to embrace it as it is. 

PPS: I'm also SO glad Yuzu was in charge of the music because SLB flopped SO hard in this aspect last year waefwkfowef. 

What I really remember from H&E is the ending pose. I love it. But there’s something about the program that’s not memorable if I may so and I don’t know why because it’s a very captivating program (lol when has Yuzu not put a captivating performance). Perhaps it’s just like @Melodie said, the music is not entirely catchy.  Having said that, from a layman point of view, when I watch it, I like it, the music is really striking and the choreo matched very well with it.