General Yuzuru Chat

Off topic, but quick update on the flooding:

The people in Euskirchen can take a deep breath. The dam near the city has been stabilized and it looks like it's no longer in danger to break. This all happened thanks to one incredible person, who risked his own life to protect the life and home of so many others:

"He is the hero of the storms in Euskirchen. Civil engineer Hubert Schilles used his excavator to clear the outflow of the Steinbach Dam, possibly saving the lives of hundreds of people." (English translation from the German 'Express' online newspaper)

It reminds me a bit of the workers in Fukushima, who sacrificed their lives to save what could be saved in the nuclear power plant. These people deserve all the respect and love in the world for their selfless and immeasurably valuable action, when the ones in charge missed to take preventive measures in time.

Hello ALL the planet, here is a video of funny CUTE moments from Yuzu  :XD:  and for the French part, poor Yuzu who looks at P Candelo ro who speaks in French  :scratch3:  and the 1st sight always makes me laugh with his I CAN'T and his NO  :rofl3:and la crava te = WORSHIP too : 1:  

Also, a thought for the workers of Fukushima who fought YES, respect for them  :thankssign:Henni for having written it. 

8 hours ago, Anni said:

...I read, that Shoma got his first vaccination on 19th July in Japan.  I hope Yuzu too. I would feel relieved. :smiley-angelic001:

Rika also got her shot recently, so hopefully they scheduled Yuzu's shot earlier since he will most likely be taking part in the Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony. Usually there are minimum side effects with the 1st shot, but it varies with ppl, so better to play it safe.

50 minutes ago, IceWings said:

Rika also got her shot recently, so hopefully they scheduled Yuzu's shot earlier since he will most likely be taking part in the Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony. Usually there are minimum side effects with the 1st shot, but it varies with ppl, so better to play it safe.

It is my understanding that all the skaters, at least the senior skaters, would be vaccinated fully in July.  There's no reason to think Yuzu won't be among them.

1 hour ago, barbara said:

It is my understanding that all the skaters, at least the senior skaters, would be vaccinated fully in July.  There's no reason to think Yuzu won't be among them.

I believe what I read was that the JSF would begin vaccinating their senior skaters mid-July in preparation for the grand prix series in the fall. I take it that Rika and Shoma got their first shots this month if that's the case and that the JSF planned to have their senior skaters all vaccinated by mid-August. I think some skaters may or may have had a chance to get a vaccination earlier than this depending on where they live and other factors. I was watching a vlog and someone mentioned their wife had a higher priority for vaccination because she had asthma for instance.

11 minutes ago, kiches said:

I believe what I read was that the JSF would begin vaccinating their senior skaters mid-July in preparation for the grand prix series in the fall. I take it that Rika and Shoma got their first shots this month if that's the case and that the JSF planned to have their senior skaters all vaccinated by mid-August. I think some skaters may or may have had a chance to get a vaccination earlier than this depending on where they live and other factors. I was watching a vlog and someone mentioned their wife had a higher priority for vaccination because she had asthma for instance.

That's my understanding also. And since it takes 2 weeks after their shot for full protection, they won't be fully protected until around end of August. 

I hope that Yuzu was able to get his shot early enough so that he will at least have full protection from his 1st shot by the time he has to do his Olympic duties. Even having only 1 shot is supposed to give you good protection against the virus. 

19 hours ago, gapil27 said:

Wow this news to me, and totally shows my sheltered life lol (and how boring my life is). I thought now that they made it to Olympics, total focus is all they will do, no hanky panky or wild shenanigans :headslap:

18 hours ago, Sha said:

I think to some extent it might depend on whether they believe they have a chance in winning anything or not? If I was at the Olympics (...which I know I won't be but I will try to imagine it) and I know my skills are such that I won't even make it to the top 20 or something, maybe I won't be so focused on the Olympics but instead other things like eating nice Japanese food (wild hanky panky not being my thing exactly)....

16 hours ago, IceWings said:

Good point. Although the athletes are still representing their country. Their parents and friends are all watching. They've put in a ton of hard work and many have made sacrifices along the way to get there. Not only the athletes themselves, but oftentimes their family have also made sacrifices. So I think the athletes will try their best to place as high as they can and while they might not make top 20, a personal best at the Olympics will still feel really good!

Maybe after their competition, they might go wild and engage in some extra-curricular activities to blow off all that pent-up stress. :D

ETA: I agree with @Henni147 and hope that the athletes will show some restraint given the current circumstances though.

15 hours ago, barbara said:

I once dated a Nationally ranked tennis player (this is a LONG time ago) and he wouldn't have dreamed of any "shenanigans" before a competition.  I think, at past Olympics, the partying was pretty much after a personal event.  And this Olympics, all athletes have to leave the country as soon as their events are over.  No hanging out in the Olympic village and partying with athletes from all over. No staying in town for the closing ceremonies. Sad, really.

6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

But once their events are done, a lot of them have nothing to do but watch other events and socialize.  And they probably feel like relaxing and enjoying life after reaching the end point off all that focus and hard work

Although it's not comparable to the Olympics, I have put my experiences at two Canadian National Judo Championships as well as my thoughts regarding the above under the following spoiler for those who might be interested.

Spoiler

My parents had me and my younger brother taking judo lessons since I was nine and he was six because of racial discrimination and bullying. What started out as a means of self-defense and the building of self-confidence eventually became a competitive sport for us as we got better and better. By the time I received my first degree black belt in grade 12, I had won many provincial championships, particularly as a junior. Almost immediately after I received my black belt, I qualified to compete at the Canadian National Championships. It was exciting, except for the fact that it was held in Lethbridge, Alberta – surrounded by wheat fields as far as the eyes can see and the ever present grain elevators. I was barely 18 and we were stuck in a motel in the middle of nowhere, close to the venue, but not even in Lethbridge proper. These tournaments were double knockout events where if you lose a competition, you are relegated to the losers' group. If you lose in the losers' group, you are out of the tournament. I won my first match, but lost the next two. It was a fun novelty playing celebrity along with the other competitors, signing autographs in the program book for the fans. Since I had graduated from high school and wanted to concentrate on my studies at university, I decided to retire from competitive judo.

Two years later, it was announced that the Canadian National Championships would be held in Montréal. Expo 67 had been held in Montréal just four years before. I wanted to go to Montréal and decided to un-retire just for that purpose. I joined the University of British Columbia judo club and trained with coach Doug Rogers who was the silver medalist in the heavyweight-open division at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. (His day job was commercial airline pilot for Air Canada.) I qualified for the Canadian Nationals and got my free trip to Montréal.

I had no aspirations to become Canadian champion or to qualify for the Pan American games or for the Olympics. I was 20 years old and was, unabashedly, there to have a good time. We were up partying until 4 AM on the morning of our competition. No, there were no women involved – just a bunch of young guys having a good time. We had an opening ceremony where each of the provincial teams entered the venue behind their provincial flags. I was so tired, I fell asleep waiting for my turn to compete. A teammate sitting next to me elbowed me awake and said, "Hey (my last name)! You're on deck!" I just wanted to lose my two matches and relax, but won my first match. I thought, "Crap! I have to fight at least two more times!" I lost my next match and in my third fight, I was matched up against my teammate who was the two-time reigning national champion in my weight division. Since we had fought each other so many times before, we were familiar with each other's techniques and we went to overtime before he won by decision. He eventually went on to win his third consecutive championship. If I was tired before that, I was completely exhausted by the time I finished fighting him.

I felt so relieved after that second loss. We met some female Québecoise judo groupies and they showed us around Montréal and the Expo site. One of the Québec team members had a membership in the only Playboy club in Canada and we were his guests for an evening. A good time was had by all. Our provincial team coach had been my coach before I went to UBC and he was a tall good-looking guy with a wild streak. He was picked up at a bar by an attractive woman who turned out not to be a woman.

I really feel for all of the athletes at the Tokyo Pandemic Games. For most of them, it will be the only chance they have to go to Japan. Playing tourist and having a good time, particularly after they have finished competing, are a big part of participating in the Olympics or any competition where you are away from home. It's a shame that most of this will be denied them and I certainly understand their feelings if they want to let loose and party.

28 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

Although it's not comparable to the Olympics, I have put my experiences at two Canadian National Judo Championships as well as my thoughts regarding the above under the following spoiler for those who might be interested.

Hide contents

My parents had me and my younger brother taking judo lessons since I was nine and he was six because of racial discrimination and bullying. What started out as a means of self-defense and the building of self-confidence eventually became a competitive sport for us as we got better and better. By the time I received my first degree black belt in grade 12, I had won many provincial championships, particularly as a junior. Almost immediately after I received my black belt, I qualified to compete at the Canadian National Championships. It was exciting, except for the fact that it was held in Lethbridge, Alberta – surrounded by wheat fields as far as the eyes can see and the ever present grain elevators. I was barely 18 and we were stuck in a motel in the middle of nowhere, close to the venue, but not even in Lethbridge proper. These tournaments were double knockout events where if you lose a competition, you are relegated to the losers' group. If you lose in the losers' group, you are out of the tournament. I won my first match, but lost the next two. It was a fun novelty playing celebrity along with the other competitors, signing autographs in the program book for the fans. Since I had graduated from high school and wanted to concentrate on my studies at university, I decided to retire from competitive judo.

Two years later, it was announced that the Canadian National Championships would be held in Montréal. Expo 67 had been held in Montréal just four years before. I wanted to go to Montréal and decided to un-retire just for that purpose. I joined the University of British Columbia judo club and trained with coach Doug Rogers who was the silver medalist in the heavyweight-open division at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. (His day job was commercial airline pilot for Air Canada.) I qualified for the Canadian Nationals and got my free trip to Montréal.

I had no aspirations to become Canadian champion or to qualify for the Pan American games or for the Olympics. I was 20 years old and was, unabashedly, there to have a good time. We were up partying until 4 AM on the morning of our competition. No, there were no women involved – just a bunch of young guys having a good time. We had an opening ceremony where each of the provincial teams entered the venue behind their provincial flags. I was so tired, I fell asleep waiting for my turn to compete. A teammate sitting next to me elbowed me awake and said, "Hey (my last name)! You're on deck!" I just wanted to lose my two matches and relax, but won my first match. I thought, "Crap! I have to fight at least two more times!" I lost my next match and in my third fight, I was matched up against my teammate who was the two-time reigning national champion in my weight division. Since we had fought each other so many times before, we were familiar with each other's techniques and we went to overtime before he won by decision. He eventually went on to win his third consecutive championship. If I was tired before that, I was completely exhausted by the time I finished fighting him.

I felt so relieved after that second loss. We met some female Québecoise judo groupies and they showed us around Montréal and the Expo site. One of the Québec team members had a membership in the only Playboy club in Canada and we were his guests for an evening. A good time was had by all. Our provincial team coach had been my coach before I went to UBC and he was a tall good-looking guy with a wild streak. He was picked up at a bar by an attractive woman who turned out not to be a woman.

I really feel for all of the athletes at the Tokyo Pandemic Games. For most of them, it will be the only chance they have to go to Japan. Playing tourist and having a good time, particularly after they have finished competing, are a big part of participating in the Olympics or any competition where you are away from home. It's a shame that most of this will be denied them and I certainly understand their feelings if they want to let loose and party.

Your experience doesn't remotely surprise me!  

And, I too, am sorry on so many levels for the athletes. No visiting Japan.  Their parents can't even be there.  And there are several para-olympians who dropped out because they weren't allowed to bring their necessary assistants.  That is unforgivable.

max ambesi talking about (actually praising) yuzu in a today show  https://fb.watch/6UrCspQutN/
elena costa shared it on fb, there are no subs but I've made a rough translation of the yuzu's section

LADY interviewer : Who are going be the protagonists of the next Olympics?

MAX AMBESI: the protagonists are the ones we expect. we are following the names with attention. in men's field, you cannot fail to mention hanyu yuzuru. I would say (he is) unreachable.
At the moment he is more focused on completing the 4A. He would become the first man in history to complete two quadruple fours before anyone else. Legendary stuff.

One way or another, at Beijing he will be there and he will not be a supporting actor. There (in bejing)The man you need to defeat will be Nathan Chen : this American who gives little space to fantasy, makes few mistakes, and who is very helped by this scoring system which certainly gives him a big hand. Beside him, we'll see :there are some young emerging athletes, some from Japan, some from elsewhere. We have seen the Italians do quite well in the recent World Championships, the ambition is not lacking for both and the goal is to get among the top 10 because doing more is not easy, the level of men's skating is very high.
But if you ask me the name to follow in Beijing, what do you want me to say? yuzuru hanyu!
we are talking about a legend, about something that goes beyond skating.
in these days yuzuru skated in a show in Japan, Dream on Ice. if you can, Go and watch the video of Masquerade: it is not skating, it is something that goes beyond. It's one with art. we're in another dimension.

LADY: in these last competitions yuzuru had the problem of managing the level of Nathan Chen.

MAX: actually, the problem is different: yuzuru won the short program of the last world championships, then there was a problem before the free. a physical problem that did not allow him to enter the track at the top of his condition. Nathan Chen earned victory, he hasn't done any mistake.

We would have liked to see Yuzuru in top physical and mental condition to see if there would have been a chance to win that competition.

I wouldn't give too much weight to what happened in that world championship. basically we're talking about a man who has won everything in his career and has won what he's won one more time, if not more. he is history. We're beyond.

I also understand his desire to focus on that incredible element which, even for those who have skated competitively for a short time, is something unthinkable. he is trying to push himself beyond what the human condition allows you to achieve. the quadruple Axel is madness. it's as if we were already thinking about the five rotations: OK it's four and a half. But what does it change? Those (skaters) who do quadruples, if they're lucky, do 3 and a quarter because they somehow steal the rotation. he doesn't.

so we wish him luck in the pursuit of this incredible element, convinced that he will be able to “bring it home” (succeed).

LADY: has he ever managed to complete it in competition?

MAX: in competition he has never submitted it, in training he tries it. he says he has never made it fully. Someone says under his breath that he has actually closed it sometimes. but he is interested in taking it to competition and to become the first to have done it and even thought about it... he has always had this dream in his head and we hope he can make it come true and we will support him until he will close it in the way he wants to, on ice.

[news] ?

6 hours ago, Geo1 said:

Reveal hidden contents

@Geo1, thanks so much for sharing. Your experiences track with what I experienced as a teen swimmer the one and only time I qualified for a regional championships. We were younger so the activities were not in any way risqué,  but the desire to have a good time was absolutely the same. 

Also, for some reason now I've got Aerosmith's "Dude Looks Like A Lady" stuck in my head....:roll:

11 hours ago, IceWings said:

That's my understanding also. And since it takes 2 weeks after their shot for full protection, they won't be fully protected until around end of August. 

I hope that Yuzu was able to get his shot early enough so that he will at least have full protection from his 1st shot by the time he has to do his Olympic duties. Even having only 1 shot is supposed to give you good protection against the virus. 

Did i miss any news regarding Yuzu duties for the Olympic?