General Yuzuru Chat

20 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

But the choreo would be highly difficult to translate to the ice. I love Not Today, and I honestly think choreographing it for ice would a major major challenge. 

I haven't really seen the choreo, I was just thinking it would make for a very animated rinkside lipsyncing or something like that :P like the OneOkRock song in nhk15 (was it?) that featured in a Japanese show :rock:

actually I know the song from this pre-WC17 fanvid and since then I've been curious what he'd think of the song, IMO it could meet Yuzuru's taste both musically and as lyrics (warning: the video includes COC14 footage)

ETA: OMG the fanyu skating, really gotta admire the committent, even got the boot covers matching the outfit! Also, big YAY for adult skaters (I'm also envious because no rink where I live, I'm lucky if there's a small temporary one in December). And whoa the ending! I'm dead:smiley-laughing021::clapping-smiley:

11 hours ago, river said:

I think I speak for all of the former competitive swimmers on here when I say if he ever wants to get faster… we’d all be happy to help. :winky:

I'm not a former competitive swimmer (though I can boast about partecipating in 1 comp...in my swimming club...once LOL), but I volunteer too:tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw: 

If swimming coach position is already taken, I can still teach him riding a bycycle :P unless he's learned that too in the last couple of years, too...:shame:

Also, OT  but gotta defend the breaststroke. It's my fave since I learned swimming (for the very simple reason that I "created" it on my own before I even knew it was an actual swimming style :68468287:). Probably also suiting me the best because I have little power in upper body, but I can kick rather well...

I like backstroke well enough too, but sincenow I only swim in the sea during summer, it's more inconvenient to use it, especially in crowded sea, where I wanna see where I'm going, if I'm running over some poor dude... or a nasty jellyfish:tumblr_inline_n2pjd1FzUP1qdlkyg:   Also, I find breaststroke actually more adaptable to rough water (at least in the mild waves you can have in a not-superwindy day in the adriatic sea), since I can easily time my breathing to when I'm on the peak of a wave and I avoid getting water in my mouth.:laughing: Backstroke during windy days is the worst.

9 hours ago, SuzyQ said:

Hanyu: Yes, yes. It is "How many minutes are you taking to swim 25 meters in the breaststroke?" level.  I probably don't have any muscles for that. So even if I trained on land, I couldn't use the gained muscles on the ice.

But wait, has he actually been swimming for training, or he did he just mention it as an example Rikako would be familiar with?:confused:

Wondering if swimming with a kickboard would actually be a more effective training. He wouldn't worry about staying afloat and would use his strong lower body, and still train both muscles and stamina but in a way that doesn't burden e.g. his ankle as much as other types of training on land...

Yuzuru sounded really frustrated that his hard-earned new muscles weren't fit for purpose:sad4:  maybe he's still searching for a balance between strenght and lightness. 4A needs strenght not only to get airtime but also to safely withstand the landing after the insane rotation speed and airtime...

In the interview, he also talks again about his pre-PyeongChang training... and gosh, I always feel that we narrowly avoided disaster there (and I don't mean Yuzuru losing, but what a blow it would have been for him, mentally)... as a fan, going into those games my mind just refused to contemplate any other possible outcome, because I was scared s**tless of how he'd feel if he didn't achieve that one goal. I'm so relieved that this time he's not going into oly season with that mindset, even if Nessie is proving to be such a difficult thing to reach. Still, I believe that Yuzu can make it, but he really needs to stay healthy, so that's what i'm gonna focus my prayers on.

@Henni147

Spoiler

I saw the news on the floodings, I'm so sorry. My thought are with your friends and everyone who's having such a hard time. I hope things can get better soon...

1 時間前, LadyLouさんが言いました:

But wait, has he actually been swimming for training, or he did he just mention it as an example Rikako would be familiar with?:confused:

Wondering if swimming with a kickboard would actually be a more effective training. He wouldn't worry about staying afloat and would use his strong lower body, and still train both muscles and stamina but in a way that doesn't burden e.g. his ankle as much as other types of training on land...

IMO, he just mentioned it as an example that Rikako was familiar with. I don't think he did running as one of his strength trainings last season either.

I think he raised these as the examples of difference in the kind of required muscles and training for each sport.

Gymnasts are not good at swimming either.  Kenzo Shirai, a gymnast, once mentioned that he just sank when he tried to swim, and it was really difficult to acquire required credits in swimming as he was a student of a college of physical education  :5918bdaa089ab_0015(1):

1 hour ago, hananistellata said:

Jumping in on the swimming convo to add my own experience as well. I was in third grade when I took up swimming and I did because I didn't trust my dad enough to teach me how to swim at the beach (lol). I think I was around 40kg at the time, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less, I'm not exactly sure because third grade was the year I started developing (to this day my parents think that swimming contributed to my height growth). I was also a very skinny kid (and I still am) and I had a lot of trouble with my position in the water. I could float just fine but either my leg muscles were too weak for me to hold them up or the lack of body fat wouldn't let me float too much. Either way the pool was too deep for me too stand and take a breath so I would hold onto the lanes and I would end up getting yelled at by my coach (oops). It was pretty dissapointing not seeing any improvement in my swimming while the other kids would move on and start attending competitions so after a while I gave up. 

I got almost drowned three times due to various reasons, so it took me a couple of years before I even dared to touch my feet into any pools of water :Poohgaveup:. This included swimming pools and ocean, bath tubs notwithstanding because I never have one LOL. 

Anyway, I can't float if I stay still, but I can swim just fine LOL 

On 7/15/2021 at 9:10 PM, Henni147 said:

This is a bit off-topic, but I feel the need to share it:

This is probably the first time that I can roughly feel how Yuzu must have felt after the Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami.

Here in my region we had so heavy rainfalls and floodings the last two days, that many of our friends lost their homes and belongings. The cities Hagen, Wuppertal and Euskirchen were hit especially hard. The dam close to Euskirchen has cracked and is in danger to break. I have never experienced anything like this before.

Thank god, our house was not affected, because we live on a plateau, but it broke my heart to see the severe damages in other districts. We tried our best yesterday to help our friends and colleagues to save what could be saved, but we were recommended by the fire department not to leave our house today, because the situation out there is very dangerous and unpredictable. 80 people have died, roughly another 500 are missed in Nordrhein-Westfalen and Rheinland-Pfalz.

I pray with all my toes and fingers that the rainfalls will stop soon and everyone stays healthy and safe 🙏

@Henni147

Spoiler

I am sorry to hear this. 😔 In my region the rains were not so heavy.

I wish all people in the affected regions much strength and hope the situation will get better soon. May everyone, you and your family stay safe. :grouphug:

Maison KOSÉ Ginza store

8 hours ago, SuzyQ said:

IMO, he just mentioned it as an example that Rikako was familiar with. I don't think he did running as one of his strength trainings last season either.

I think he raised these as the examples of difference in the kind of required muscles and training for each sport.

Oh well, thanks for clarifying this, it was fun letting my imagination run wild till it lasted:shame:  

I was indeed wondering how he could have arranged swimming sessions this past season, when he said he was avoiding contacts as much as he could for covid prevention (to the point of even limiting his physical treatment), and also with his nightly on-ice training arrangement... 

Apparently Axel with wings team is working on a translation too, so we might get more details...

Here is my automatic translation of the Number interview with OCR and deepl, slightly inspired by the previously translated parts by orangesrgd and SuzyQ. My OCR didn't have its best day, there are a few errors (especially with numbers) that I couldn't correct. Again, I don't speak Japanese and this is not a proper translation.

Spoiler

スペシャル対談「ただ、勝利のために

Special dialogue "Just for the win"

今夏、再び祭典の場に姿を現す水泳の申し子と、冬の王者がある日、語り合った。

ふたりには、大きなものを背負って戦うという宿命があった。

その苦しみを知っている冬の王者は、彼女のことを気にかけていた。濃密な時間は、そこからスタートし、話はオリンピックの心構え、互いの目指すものへと移っていくトップアスリートの世紀の対談を、ここに余すことなくお届けする。

One day, the winter champion and the swimming sensation, who will be back at the Olympic Games this summer, had a chat.

The two had a destiny to fulfil: they both had to fight for something big.

The winter champion knows her pain and cares for her. This is the story of a conversation between two top athletes that started with a conversation about the Olympics and what they wanted to achieve.

-おふたりは初めてお話しされるということですが、これまでお互いをどのように見ていましたか。

池江たぶんお聞きかと思うんですけど一番衝撃を受けたのは、平昌オリンピックで羽生選手が金メダルを獲った時です。私は、スケーターに知り合いがいることもあって、スケートを見るのは結構好きなんです。その日、私は日本国内で試合(KONAMI _OPEN)があったんですけど、羽生選手がオリンピックで優勝したと知って、「こんなに努力して頑張っている人がいるんだから、私もできるはず」と思い、200m自由形に臨みました。そこで日本一記録を出せたりとか、ものすごくいい刺激をいただいています。

羽生ありがたいです(笑)。僕からするとこんな発言をしたらすごく年寄りみたいですが、若いのにいろいろなものを背負って頑張ってるなとずっと思っていて。

ご自身の病気のことはもちろん、他の病気にかかった人を勇気づけたいとか、元気になってほしいというものまで全部。そんなに背負わなくてもいいんじゃないかなと思いつつ、背負っているから強いんだろうなとも。一言で言うと、すごいなと感じていました。

池江確かに背負わなくていいことまで背負っている気は自分でもしています。復帰してからは、病気した人代表みたいなものをすべてのレースで感じていました。でもそれをもっと軽くしたくても、どうやってそういう自分を作っていったらいいか分からないみたいなところもあって。それは仕方ないのかな、という感じです。

羽生僕も、6歳の時に東日本大震災があって、やっぱりあれからすごくいろいろなものを背負い始めたなと感じていて。

Q: You are talking for the first time, but how did you see each other before?

Ikee: As you probably know, the most impressive moment for me was when Hanyu won the gold medal at the Pyeongchang Olympics. I like to watch skating a lot, because I know some skaters. On that day, I had a competition (Konami  Open) in Japan, and when I heard that Hanyu won the Olympic Games, I thought, "There are people who work so hard, so I should be able to do it too", so I went to the 200m freestyle. I was able to set the Japanese record there, and it's been a great inspiration for me.

Hanyu: Thank you very much (laughs).  From my point of view, I feel like an old person when I say this, but I've always thought that you're working very hard for such a young person with so many things on your shoulders. Of course, you have your own illness, but you also want to encourage people who have other illnesses and want them to get well. I think you shouldn't have to carry so much on your shoulders, but at the same time I think you are strong because you do. In a word, I felt it was amazing.

Ikee: It's true that I feel I'm carrying things on my back that I shouldn't have to. After I came back to racing, I felt like I was representing people who were sick in every race. I wanted to make it easier, but I didn't know how to do that.

Hanyu: When I was 16 years old, the Great East Japan Earthquake happened, and I felt that I started to carry a lot of things after that.

今も、東日本大震災の支援や復興に関する依頼はなるべく受けるようにしているのですが、当時はすごく重たく思っていました。ジュニアでタイトルをすべて獲ってシニアに上がり、世界の舞台で戦うようになった頃の出来事でした。大震災という天災が起きて、僕は被災地代表みたいになったんです。日本代表ではなく。一生懸命日本代表になって、やっとつかんだシニアで戦う権利みたいなものが、急に、被災地で頑張っている人間だから選ばれているんだというように思われるのは、すごく悔しかった。ここまで一生懸命頑張ってきたのは、

別に震災のためでも被災地のためでもなく、ただ強くなりたいだけだったのに、という気持ちが強くあって。でもそこから1年をかけて心境がかなり変化していきました。年末の全日本選手権の後、ファンの方々のお手紙を読む時間があって、自分はこんなにも応援されているんだということに気づいたんです。ただ日本代表として世界に実力を見せつけたいと思っていたのが、被一災地代表だろうが日本代表だろうが、応援してもらっていることに感謝し、その力を受け取りながら頑張ることが一番なんだなってその時思いました。

翌年3月の世界選手権では、怪我をしていたのですが、皆さんの応援が最後まで後

押ししてくれたような感覚があったんです。応援をちゃんと受け止めて、それが結果に結びついた時に、初めて皆さんへの恩返しになるということにも気づきました。今は逆に、元気を与えられる立場なんだ、自分だから言えることっていろいろあるんだ、

と自覚しています。そこはもしかしたら同じような気持ちなんじゃないかと

池江そうですね。

Even now, I try to accept requests for support and recovery from the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami, but at that time, I took it very seriously. It was around the time when I won all the junior titles, moved up to the senior ranks, and started competing on the world stage. Then the earthquake happened, and I became a representative of the disaster area instead of representing Japan. It was very frustrating to suddenly have the right to compete in the Senior World Championships, which I had worked so hard for, but suddenly I thought that I was only selected because I was working hard in the disaster area.

I had worked so hard to get to this point, not because of the earthquake or the disaster area, but because I just wanted to be strong. But over the next year, my feelings changed a lot. After Japanese Nationals at the end of the year, I had time to read the letters from my fans, and I realized how much they supported me. I thought I just wanted to show my ability to the world as a representative of Japan, but I realized at that time that the best thing to do was to be grateful for the support I was receiving, whether I was a representative of a disaster-affected area or of Japan, and to do my best while receiving that power.

At the World Championships in March of the following year, I was injured, but I felt as if everyone's support had pushed me to the end. I realized that I would only be able to repay those supporters when I received their support properly and it led to the results. Now, I am aware that I am in a position to give people energy, and that there are many things I can say because I am the one who can. There are many things I can say because I am in a position to give energy. I think we may be feeling the same way.

Ikee: That's right.

羽生池江さんは、病気になった時は、オリンピックも近づいていて焦る気持ちも絶対にあったと思いますし、ちょうど結果が一出ている時だったから、余計つらかったと思うんです。僕も、報道で知った時はなんて大変なんだろうってすごく思いました。今は、病気を克服して頑張っている池江さんの姿が、病気を抱えている人、そして病気から立ち直って頑張ろうとしている人へのエールにもなっていると思います。それを背負うことは、水泳と関係ないところでのプレッシャーですし、いろいろ感じるかと思うんですけど、絶対にそれは池江さんにしかできないことですし、僕も僕にしかできないことなんです。プレッシャーってすごく重たいですよね。

池江はい、でも私からしたら、羽生選手はすごく自信に満ちてリンクに入っているように見えます。

羽生水泳選手の場合、「第何レーン、何々」と言われて入っていく時にやっぱり歓声があがりますけど、そこで手を挙げて応えたりするじゃないですか。ほんとにすごいなと思って。僕だったら、ギリギリまでイヤホンを付けていて、何もできないなとか思いながら見てるんです

池江私は逆に、自分の名前が呼ばれた時の歓声で、「みんなが自分のことを応援してくれるんだ。みんなが自分のことを見てくれる。よし、頑張ろう」っていう気持ちになるタイプなんですよ。

Hanyu: When Ikee got sick, the Olympics were coming up, and I'm sure she was in a hurry, and the competition results were just starting to come in, so I think it was even harder on her. When I heard about it in the news, I also thought how hard it was. Now, I think that the fact that Ikee has overcome her illness and is doing her best is a shout out to those who have the disease and to those who are trying to recover from it. It's a lot of pressure to carry that on your shoulders, even though it has nothing to do with swimming, and I'm sure you feel a lot of pressure, but it's something only you can do. Pressure is very heavy, isn't it?

Ike: Yes, but from my point of view, Hanyu seems to be entering the rink with a lot of confidence.

Hanyu: In the case of swimmers, when they are told "what lane, etc." and they enter the rink, there are cheers, but they respond by raising their hands. I thought that was really amazing. If it were me, I'd be watching with earphones in until the very last minute, thinking I couldn't do anything.

Ikee: On the contrary, when my name was called, I heard the cheers and thought, "Everyone is cheering for me. Everyone is looking at me. I'm the type of person who feels like, "Okay, I'll do my best."

羽生じゃあ、見られているのは結構好きなんですね池江見られているのが好きっていうか、速く泳ぐ自分が好きという感覚ですね。以前、2017年だったと思うのですが、海外での試合で、世界記録を持っている選手と一緒に泳ぐことがありました。その選手のコーチは旦那さんで、彼女への応援の仕方が独特だったんです。声だけでなくものをすごく叩いたりして。レースは私とその選手が競る展開になったのですが、私はその応援を、「よし、自分を応援してくれているんだ」と思い込んで泳いだんです。それがすごく楽しくて。そういうのが結構結果につながっているのかなと思います羽生やっぱり応援の力ってすごく大きいですよね。オリンピックでは、観客数に制限がかかった状態で、声援もないかもしれないですけど、応援を力に変えられているというのは大きいと思います僕の場合、昔はすごく重たくてつらいと思っていたんですが、重たいということは、これはエネルギーだなと思って、この重を、地に足つけるエネルギーにしたり、緊張しているからこそいいパフォーマンスができるというふうに変換して考えられるようになりました。こういう時代だからこそ、水泳に興味がある方だけじゃなくて、きっと普段よりもすっごくいっぱい、いろいろな方が応援してくださっていると思うので、無責任な言い方かもしれないですけど、実際そこに力はあるから、それを力だと思って頑張ってほしいです。

Hanyu: So you like being watched quite a bit, don't you?

Ikee: I think it was in 2017, I swam with a world record holder in a competition overseas. Her coach was her husband, and he had a unique way of cheering her on. Not only did he shout, but he also hit things very hard. The race turned out to be a race between me and her, but I swam with the idea that the cheering was for me. That was really fun. I think that's what led to my results. 

Hanyu: The power of cheering is huge, isn't it? In the Olympics, the number of spectators will be limited and there may be no cheering, but the cheering is a great help. Now I can think of it in terms of energy, or that I can perform better because I'm nervous. It may sound irresponsible of me to say this, but the power is there, so I hope you will take it as your strength and do your best.

オリンピックの雰囲気、緊張に打ち克つために必要なもの。

The Olympic atmosphere, what it takes to overcome the tension.

池江ありがとうございます。平昌オリンピックの時のことでうかがいたいことがあるんですが、確か、怪我をされた直後の試合でしたよね? 怪我している選手が、それこそいろいろなプレッシャーがある中であそこまでいい結果を出すというのは、メンタルが相当強い方なんだなと思っていました。私はこう見えて意外とメンタルが弱かったりするので。羽生選手でも、自信が持てないまま試合に出ちゃう時ってあるんですか。

羽生自信がないのは、練習がしっかりできなかったりとか、思い描いていたものができず、ここまでやっておきたかったなという気持ちがある時です。でも、試合に一入ったら、基本目信で溢れていますね。平昌では確かに怪我をしていて、すごく強い痛み止めを飲んで、自分の感覚を消してまでやらなきゃいけないような状態でしただから、練習もしっかりできていたとは言えないし、実際試合に行くメンタルではなかったと思います。でも、自分の中には、ソチオリンピックで金メダルを獲ったという成功体験がある。同時に、ソチではあまりいい演技ではなかったという面もある。オリンピックの成功体験も悪かったところも知っている。だからあまり怖くなかったです。その時に、駄目だった理由を分析し「こうやればよかったんだな」と対処法をちゃんと学んでいたから。さらにソチオリンピックから平昌オリンピックまでの4年の間にも、同じような現象が何回も起きて、「だったらこうしていけばいい」「こうしていれば絶対勝てる」ということを続けていたので、いい練習ができなくても、たとえ自分が怪我していたとしても、絶対オリンピックだけは勝てるという自信が、あの時ありました。

Ikee: Thank you very much. I would like to ask you something about the PyeongChang Olympics. I thought that you must have a very strong mentality to be able to do so well under so much pressure as an injured athlete. I have a surprisingly weak mental strength. Even you, Hanyu, are there times when you go into a competition without confidence?

Hanyu: There are times when I don't feel confident, like when I wasn't able to practice the way I wanted to, and I feel like I should have done more. But once I'm in the competition, I'm full of basic confidence. In PyeongChang, I was injured, I had to take very strong painkillers, I had to kill my senses, so I couldn't say that practice was going well and I didn't have the mental state to go to the competition. But I had with me the experience of winning the gold medal at Sochi, even though I didn't have a good performance there. I knew about the experience of the Olympic success and I knew about what went wrong, so I was not too scared. At that time, I analysed the reasons why I didn't do well, and I learned how to deal with it. And in the four years between the Sochi Olympics and the PyeongChang Olympics, the same thing happened many times, and I kept thinking "then I should do this" and "if I do this, I can definitely win". So even if I couldn't train well, even if I was injured, I was confident that I could win the Olympics.

池江その気持ちは大事かもしれませんね。自信を持っていかないと、独特の雰囲

気に圧倒されちゃったりするので羽生あと、言霊ってよく言うじゃないですか。ポジティブなことを言っていたら表情がよくなるし、表情がよくなったら心も軽くなる。言った言葉がそのまま自分に返ってくるじゃないけど。もう、そういうところに頼るしかないんですよ。オリンピックって緊張しすぎちゃうので。僕も全然メンタル強くないから。

池江そうなんですか?羽生ほんとに。身近な方々も含めてみんなから「メンタル強い」って言われるし、「ほんとに大舞台でいい演技できるよね」って言われるんですけど、昔から一回も自分のことをメンタル強いと思ったことはないです。すっごく緊張するし、試合の前に震える時もある。でも、弱いなりにこうしたらいいっていうのが分かるというか、弱いからこそそういう考え方を学んできたので。自分が信じられるもの、僕だったら、自分が言った言葉は自分の心を左右するということをすごく気にしていたので、平昌の時も現地に入った瞬間に「金メダルしかないです」「優勝するためだけに来ました」と言っていました。もう優勝した気になってる、みたいな。そうしたら、後から結果はついてくると、信じていましたね。池江怪我に対する不安はどうだったんでする。

Ikee: That feeling might be important. If you don't have confidence in yourself, you may be overwhelmed by the unique atmosphere in the Olympics.

Hanyu: Also, we often say that we should say positive things. If you say something positive, your expression will improve, and if your expression improves, your mind will become lighter. It's true that the words you say will come back to you. That's what I had to rely on. In the Olympics, I get too nervous. I'm not mentally strong at all either.

Ikee: Really? 

Hanyu: Yes, really. Everyone around me says I'm mentally strong, and that I can really perform well on the biggest stage, but I've never thought of myself as mentally strong. I get very nervous and sometimes I shake before a competition. But I know how to do things in a certain way, and I've learned to think that way because of my weakness. I was very concerned about my words because they would influence my mind, so the moment I arrived in PyeongChang, I said "I only want the gold medal" and "I'm here only to win". I believed that the results would follow my words. I had faith in that.

Ikee: How worried were you about the injury?

羽生現地に行った瞬間に不安はなかったですね。現地に行く前に心は決まっていました。その頃、4回転ジャンプが4種類あったんですけど、僕はまだ2種類しかしっかり跳べてなくて、3種類目を試合に入れるかどうかを迷っていました。でも、練習でその3種類目が一発も跳べなくて。ループっていうジャンプで、ちょうど捻挫した右足で踏み切って右足で降りなきゃいけないという、自分にとって怪我したところを思いっきり痛めつっけるみたいなジャンプなので、すごく怖かったんですね。実際に筋肉もすごく落ちていたから、できなかったんですけど。でも、平昌オリンピックに行く前の練習で、「お前、これ降りたら絶対優勝できる」って自分に言い聞かせたんです。

これ降りなかったら優勝できない、優勝できないんだったらオリンピックに行く価値がないって思って。「行く権利もないだ、お前」って言いながら練習していました。それで、最後の練習の最後の5分ぐらいでループを決めたんですよ。その時点で、優勝したと思って行ったので、全然不安感とかはなかったですね。結局オリンピックにループを入れることはなかったんですけど。

Hanyu: I didn't feel anxious the moment I got there. My mind was made up before I went there. At that time, I had four quadruple jumps, but I could only do two of them in practice and hesitated if I could add the third one. In the practice, I couldn't jump the third one at all. It was a Loop, where I had to jump and land with my sprained right leg, so I was afraid of it, because it was hurting the injured part of my leg. Also, I couldn't do it, because I had lost so much muscle. But before I went to PyeongChang Olympics, I told myself, "If I land this, I'll win!" I thought, "If I don't land this, I won't win, and if I don't win, I don't deserve to go to the Olympics." And then, in the last five minutes of the last practice, I did 4Lo. At that point, I thought I had already won, so I wasn't worried at all. In the end, I didn't do the loop in the Olympics, though.

-池江さんは、オリンピック2度目の出場。羽生さんは次の北京で3度目になりますが、やはり先ほど羽生さんもおっしゃったように、複数回出ることで成し遂げられることというのもあり、そこに意義も感じられますか。

池江そうですね。今年は、6年とは全く違った気持ちでオリンピックに行く年になると思います。でも、私はまだ0歳で、あと何回オリンピックに出られるか分からないですけど、この東京オリンピックは、年後のパリに向けての準備段階だと思って挑もうと考えています。もちろん今回の試合も大事ですし、結果を出したいと強く思っていますが、今回は個人種目に出られないので、リレーでチームに貢献し、結果を出して、その先にパリが待っているという」ような考えでいます。今回はオリンピックに対しては深く考えすぎずに挑めるかなとは思っています。

羽生それって本音なんですかっ池江メチャメチャ本音です。

そもそも私4月の代表選考会だった日本選手権で優勝するまでは、オリンピックに行く気はほとんどなかったですし。決まったら決まったで、もちろん頑張ろうとは思っていました自分の目標は2年だから、別に今回代公に入らなくてもいいやという気持ちであの選考会に臨んでいたんです。あまり変なプレッシャーもなかったからこそ、すごくいい結果がついてきたのかなという印象もあります。

Q: Ikee-san is competing in her second Olympics. As Mr. Hanyu said earlier, there are things that you can achieve by competing more than once, so do you feel that this is significant?

Ikee: Yes, I do. This year, I think I will go to the Olympics with a completely different feeling compared to the last time I went. But I'm only 21 years old, and I don't know how many more Olympics I'll be able to participate in, but I'm going to try to think of this Tokyo Olympics as a preparation stage for Paris in three years. Of course the games are important and I want to achieve results, but I can't compete in the individual events this time, so I want to contribute to the team in the relays, achieve results and then Paris will be waiting for me. I don't think I can think too much about the Olympics this time.

Hanyu: Is that what you really think?

Ikee: In the first place, until I won the Japan National Championships in April, I didn't have any intention of going to the Olympics. I didn't have too much pressure on me, and I think that's why I got such a good result.

最近一番悔しかったことと、それを思い出す時。

The most frustrating thing you' ve done recently and when you remember it.

ーこれまでのオリンピックで一番思い出されることは何ですか?

池江オリンピックでは、メダルを獲らなきゃ意味がないと思いました。私はメダルを獲っていませんが、リオから東京に帰国する時、飛行機までは一緒なんですけど、空港に降りた瞬間、「はい、メダリストはこっち」と言われて動線が分かれるんです羽生ああ、そんな感じになりますね。

池江オリンピック行って、決勝行って日本記録をいっぱい出したけど、日本記録を出すだけ、決勝に出るだけじゃ駄目なんだと、16歳のその時に初めて学びました。

選手によっては「オリンピックに行くことに意味がある」と言ったり、「決勝に行くことに意味がある」と言う人もたくさんいると思うんですけど、私の中では、メダルを獲らなきゃ意味がない、というか面白くないなと、競技者として痛感しました。羽生なんかいいですよね。そういうの好きですよ(笑)。僕も本当に、さっき言ったように、平昌オリンピックに行く前、「金メダルを獲らなかったら、お前は行く権利ない」と思っていたので。でも、その時は考えなかったんですけど、思い返してみると、今まで自分が競技を続けていくにあたってどれだけの人に支えられてきたかと考えると、やっぱりちゃんと結果を残さないと申し訳ないなと思うんですよね。だって、自分が競技のために投資するサプリだって、スケートリンクの費用、コーチ費、遠征費、その他もろもろいろいろ考えていくと、ものすごい時間とお金と労力がかかっているわけです。応援してくれる人にはもちろんですけど、直接支えてくれている人にメチャクチャ申し訳ないなって思うんですよね。だから、出るんだったら結果は欲しいと思うし、メダルが欲しい、金メダルが欲しいと思うのは当然であって。そう思えるのは、自分に期待がかけられていることと、自分の理想がしっかり見えているということだから、すごくいいことだと思います。それを思っちゃいけないと言う人もいるんですけどね。

Q: What do you remember most about the Olympics so far?

Ikee: In the Olympics, I thought that if you don't win a medal, it's meaningless. I didn't win a medal, but when I came back to Tokyo from Rio, we were on the plane together, but when we got off the plane at the airport, they said, "Okay, medalists go this way," and we were separated. I went to the Olympics, I went to the finals, I set a lot of Japanese records, but I learned for the first time at the age of 16 that it's not enough to just set Japanese records or to go to the finals. Some athletes say that going to the Olympics is meaningful, and there are many who say that going to the finals is meaningful, but for me, as a competitor, I realized that if you don't win a medal, it's meaningless or not interesting. 

Hanyu: That's nice. I like that kind of thing (laughs). Like I said before, before I went to the PyeongChang Olympics, I thought, "If you don't win a gold medal, you have no right to go". When I look back, I think about how many people have supported me in my career, and I would feel sorry if I didn't get a good result. The supplements, the cost of skating rinks, coaches, trips, and so on, it takes a lot of time, money and effort. I would feel so sorry for the people who support me. So if I'm going to compete, I want results, I want medals, I want gold medals, that's natural. I think it's good that I can think that way, because it means that people are expecting a lot from me and I have a clear vision of my ideal. Some people say you shouldn't think that way.

-お二人とも「勝ちたい」という気持を前面に出すアスリートですね。羽生だって、勝ちたいからメチャクチャ頑張って練習してるんじゃないですか。池江私もです。勝つために試合に行っているし。何十時間何百時間かけて1つの試合のために頑張ってきたという思いは、競技者としてすごく必要だと思っています。

-羽生さんの場合、「納得できる演技ができればいい」という発言も見られます羽生それは単なる自分への言い聞かせです(笑)。自分の中で、勝つことに関しては達成したんですよね。獲りたかったタイトルはすべて獲って、自分が目標としているものがイコール「勝つ」じゃなくなっちゃったんです。例えば勝つだけだったら、4回転半という今目分が挑戦しているジャンプは要らないと思います。だったら4回転の種類をしっかり増やして、いい演技をコンスタントにできるほうが絶対勝てるんです。でも、それじゃあ僕は競技者としてもつまらなくなってしまったというか、そこにモチベーションを感じなくなってしまったというのが正直なところです。

池江さんだったらたぶん、タイムをひたすら伸ばしたいみたいなところだと思います。

池江そうですね。もちろんタイムを出してもメダルがついてこない場合もありますし、そこはすごく難しいところではあるんですけど。私は、日本国内では記録もたくさん持っているし、日本選手権も何度も勝っていますが、世界大会やオリンピックではメダルを獲っていません。みんな私のことを「すごい選手だ」と思いがちですが、世界ではまだメダル争いができるような選手ではありません。羽生選手のように、世界で勝つことが当たり前になったらそれはまたかっこいいなと、メダルを獲ってない立場からすると思いました。

Q: Both of you are athletes who put the desire to win at the forefront of your minds. 

Hanyu: Because you want to win, that's why you practice so hard, isn't it? 

Ikee: Me too. I go to the games to win. As a competitor, I think it's very important to know that you've spent tens or hundreds of hours working hard for a single match.

Q: In the case of Hanyu, I have seen him say that it is good if he can perform to his satisfaction.

Hanyu: (laughs) In my mind, as far as winning is concerned, I have achieved that. I've won all the titles I wanted to win, and my goal is no longer "winning". For example, if I only wanted to win, I wouldn't need to do 4A, which is what I'm trying to do now. If I just wanted to win, then it's better to have more quad jumps and to be able to do them consistently. But then, I would feel bored as a competitor, or don't feel motivated by that, to be honest. Ikee's motivation is probably just to improve his time.

Ikee: That's right. Of course, even if you set a good time, the medal may not come with it, so it's a very difficult thing. I have a lot of records in Japan, and I have won the Japanese Championships many times, but I haven't won any medals at the World Championships or the Olympics. People tend to think I'm a great athlete, but I'm not a medal contender in the world yet. From a non-medalist's point of view, I think it would be cool to win in the world like Hanyu did.

羽生確かにそういう立場だったら、タノムとか自分のフォームよりも、ただ勝てればいいと思うべきだと思います。僕も今、自分自身に言い聞かせるように「アクセルが一番の目標」と言っていますけど、結局は勝たなきゃ意味がないと心の底で常に思っているので。それはそのままでいいんじゃないですかね。特にオリンピックは。

池江そうですよね。勝つことに意味がある試合だと思って。

羽生もう「勝ちたい」でいいと思います。で、勝つためにはじゃあ何をしたらいいんだろうということを突き詰めて、そこに集中しちゃえば、あとは緊張とかもそんなに感じなくなってくるんじゃないかなと思います。僕はね(笑)。

ー最近一番悔しかったことをお二人に聞きたいんですが。

羽生僕が悔しいのは、完全に自分の限界を超えられないことですね。アクセルの4回転半というものがあまりにも大変すぎて。

すごく逃げるんですよ。「自分は年だな」とか「そもそも人間にできることじゃないんじゃないか」とか。逃げを探している自分が一番悔しいです。

池江私も、似てるかもしれませんが、練習でうまくいかなかった時にあります。気持ちの上では、自分はどこまでも行けるって思っているんですけど、追い込んでも結局体がついてこなくて、苦しくて、他の選手みたいに泳げなかったりすることが一番悔しいなと思います。

Hanyu: If you're in that position, you should think that it's better to just win, rather than think about the progression or your form. I always say to myself that "4A is the most important goal", but in the end, I always think deep down that if I don't win, it's meaningless. I think it's good to keep it that way. Especially in the Olympics.

Ikee: That's right. I think that winning is the meaning of the games.

Hanyu: I think it's fine to just say, "I want to win." If you focus on that, then you won't feel so nervous. That' s how I feel (laughs).

Q: I'd like to ask both of you what you've been most frustrated about recently.

Hanyu: What I regret is that I can't completely exceed my limits. 4A is too hard for me. I'm running away from it. "I think I'm too old, I think it's not something that humans can do." The most frustrating thing is that I'm looking for a way to get out of it.

Ikee: I think it's similar to what happens to me when things don't go well in practice. In my mind, I think I can go as far as I want, but when I push myself, my body doesn't follow, and I suffer, and I can't swim like other swimmers, that's the most frustrating thing.

羽生他の選手ができることができないってすごく悔しいですよね。

池江そうなんですよね。逆にそれが今までできてたから、自分をむなしく感じてくる。「そうじゃないんだよ」って自分に言」い聞かせてはいるんですけど。正直言うと過去の自分はすごかったので、今の自分と比べると、本当に毎日のように悔しいと思いながら練習しています。

6月のジャパンオープンで負けた時には、もう二度と負けたくないって思ったし。だから、練習中に本当にしんどくなった時には、「この間負けた時の悔しさを思い出せ」って思って、最後の最後まで頑張ろうとしたりしていますね。

羽生自分ももちろん、できていたものができなくなるという感覚はすごくあります。

4回転半の練習をし続けていた結果、他のジャンプができなくなったり、その結果として怪我したりとか、そういうのが結構あるんです。そんな苦戦した記憶ないのにできなくなって「なんでこんな簡単なことができないんだろうっ」と思う。周りを見ると、みんな着実にうまくなっていて、自分はただ後退しているだけ、どれだけうまくなろうとしてもうまくなれない、というようなことが昨年はあって、結構苦しんだんです。

僕の場合は、やっぱりスケートでしか感情を出せないなって思ったんですよね。もちろんいろいろなお仕事の中で、例えば震災やコロナのことに関してコメントを求められた時、言葉を必死に考えて出したりしますけど、結局一番自分を出せるのはスケートで。それを見てくださった方が何を思うかとか関係なく、自分でウワーっと「こんな気持ちだーノ」ってやるのが一番好きなんですよね。誰も見てない中でそれをやった時に、「自分、スケート好きだな」と思って。だから続けようと思えたというか。そういうことありません?. 水泳じゃないとこれだけ体力使えないな、とか。

池江本当にそう思いますね。

Hanyu: It's very frustrating when you can't do something that other athletes can do, isn't it? 

Ikee: That's right. On the contrary, I've been able to do those things before, so I start to feel frustrated with myself. When I lost at the Japan Open in June, I thought I never want to lose again. So when it gets really tough during practice, I think to myself, "Remember how frustrated I was when I lost the other day", and try to do my best until the very end.

Hanyu: Of course, I also have a great feeling of not being able to do what I used to be able to do. As a result of practicing 4A, I couldn't do other jumps, and as a result, I got injured. I don't remember struggling so much, but when I can't do it, I think "why can't I do such a simple thing?" When I look around me, everyone is getting better and better, and I'm just regressing, no matter how much I try to get better, I can't, so I suffered a lot last year. But then, I felt that I could only express my emotions through skating. Of course, when I'm asked to comment on the disaster or Corona, I try to think of some words to say, but in the end, skating is the best way to express myself. I don't care what people think about it, I like it the most when I can say "this is how I feel". When I did it alone with no one watching, I thought "I love skating". That's why I decided to continue. Isn't it like that? Do you think that you can't use this much energy without swimming?

Ike: I really think so.

羽生こんな達成感、絶対スケートとか水泳じゃないとないな、みたいなのってあるじゃないですか。たとえゲームが好きで、すごく難しいことを達成したとしても、結局その一瞬だけで終わるんですよ。でもスケートの場合は、何かを達成した時に、「よっしゃ、じゃあ次これやろう」と続いていくんですよね。達成感が他とは全然違う。それのために生きているみたいなところもあって。

池江その気持ちはメチャメチャ分かります。私は、4月の日本選手権で優勝した時に、自分はもちろん、病気を患って苦しい思いをしている人とか、病気を克服して頑張っている最中の人たちに、ものすごく力になっているんだろうなと思いました。だけど、結局私がなぜ水泳を続けているかというと、ただ水泳が好きで、競技で勝て、嬉しいという気持ちを味わいたいからだって気づいたんです。

Hanyu: There's a sense of achievement that you can only get from skating or swimming. Even if you like video games, and you achieve something very difficult, it's only for that moment. But with skating, when you achieve something, you keep going, "Okay, let's do this next one". The sense of accomplishment is totally different from others. It's like you're living for it.

Ikee: I know that feeling very well. When I won the Japan National Championships in April, I thought that I must have given a lot of strength not only to myself, but also to those who are suffering from illnesses and those who are trying to overcome them. But in the end I realised that the only reason I continue to swim is because I love it and I want to feel the joy of winning.

今の課題と、そのために努力していること。

What are your current challenges and what are you working on to achieve them?

自分の限界を超えて、誰も見たことのない景色を見たいという思いはありますか。

羽生僕はやっぱり「初めて4回転半を降りた人間になりたい」という思いは常に持っていますね。

池江私の種目の場合、日本と海外の差がものすごくあるんです。例えば100mバタフライの世界記録が訪秒4で、私が病気前に出した日本記録が6秒0なんですね。あと0.6の差って水泳の中ではものすごく大きい。ただ、海外の選手が達成できているということは、自分もできないことはない。できると思っていますし、それ以上も行けるんじゃないかって。自分の限界を決めてはいけないと、海外の選手やタイムから教えられている感覚があります。そう考えると、すごく楽しい。

羽生フィギュアはあんまり体格関係ないんですけど、水泳は体格が関係ありますよ

ね。池江メチャメチャありますね。

Q: Do you want to go beyond your limits and see something that no one has ever seen before?

Hanyu: I always want to be the first person to jump 4A.

Ikee: In my event, there is a huge difference between Japan and other countries. For example, the world record for the 100m butterfly is 4.4 seconds, and the Japanese record I set before I got sick was 6.0 seconds. (???) A difference of 0.6 seconds is a huge difference in swimming. But just because other swimmers have done it, it doesn't mean that I can't do it too. I think I can do it, and I think I can do even better than that. I feel that the international athletes and time have taught me not to set my own limits. When I think about it, it's really fun.

Hanyu: In figure skating, it's not so much about body size, but in swimming it is. Right? 

Ikee: Yes, it is.

羽生池江さんも恵まれたほうだと思いますけど。身長何目あるんですか?

池江私は、171.9とか、2弱。

羽生じゃあ同じくらいなんだ。池江ほんとですか。でも、海外の選手は29以上高いので。プラス、筋肉も、体格もメチャメチャよくて。こんな人たちに勝てるの?と思うけど、そこで自分の限界を見せたくないというか、体格は関係ないことを証明したいという気持ちもすごくあります。それが水泳の面白いところでもあるなと思います。

羽生で、そうやって頑張っていると、絶望の壁にぶち当たるんですよね。

池江まあ、実際はそうなんですけどね()。

羽生でも、それを超えていくのがまた楽しいんですよね。池江ちょっとずつでいいので、それを超えられたらという気持ちはあります。

Hanyu: I think Ikee is one of the lucky ones. How many tall are you?

Ikee: I'm 171.9, or just under 172.

Hanyu: So we're about the same height. 

Ikee: Really? But overseas athletes are taller than 29 (???). Plus, their muscles and physique are really good. How can I beat them? But I don't want to show my limitations, and I want to prove that size doesn't matter. I think that's one of the interesting things about swimming.

Hanyu: And when you work so hard, you hit a wall of despair, don't you?

Ikee: Well, actually, yes.

Hanyu: But it's fun to get over that, isn't it? 

Ikee: I'm hoping that I can surpass it little by little.

ー池江さんは0.6秒の世界で争っていて、羽生さんも今あと8分の1回転という級密なところで戦っているわけですよね。

羽生そうですね。4回転半まであと8分の1というすごく細かいことをやっていま

す。いわゆる0.W秒っていう世界は僕も一緒だと思います。空中の滞空時間をコンマ0何秒延ばせばあとどれくらい回るかとか。あとは、回転の速度もコンマ何秒上げればみたいなところもたぶんあるので、同じようなことはしていると思います。

今、そのために何かやっていらっしゃることはあるんですか?…

羽生僕、去年の全日本選手権の前まで、アクセルの練習と一緒にすごく筋トレをやったんです。というのも、自分はかなり細くて、どっちかというと筋肉がなくても弱く、ジャンプが安定しないタイプだと常に思っていたんです。だけど、言ってみれば、それがあるからこそ自分のジャンプが生まれると思っていて、それが自分なんだと言い聞かせていました。でも、4回転半の練習をやっているうちに、これは今までと同じ方法じゃ跳べないと思って。じゃあ今までやってこなかったものは何だろうと考えた時に、筋トレだったんです。

で、やった結果、跳べなくなりました。池江重くて?

羽生重くてというのももちろんあると思うんですけど、たぶんバランスが崩れてやっぱり怪我が多くなった。あとは、結局使いこなせないんだなと思いました。スケートには邪魔というか必要じゃない筋肉ばっかりついたなという感じがあって。僕、ランニングとかすると普通に筋肉痛になるんですよ。だから、たぶん走る筋肉は全く持ってないし。水泳なんて、昔、息継ぎが全くできなかったので。

Q: Ikee, you're fighting in the world of 0.6 seconds, and Hanyu, you're fighting in the world of one-eighth of a revolution.

Hanyu: Yes, it's a very small detail, just an eighth of a revolution. I think I'm in the same world of that 0.6-second, where you need to extend your airtime by a few tenths of a second to find out how much further you can go. Also, if I could increase the speed of rotation by a few tenths of a second, I think I would be doing the same thing.

Q: What are you doing now to achieve this? 

Hanyu: Before last year's All-Japan Championships, I did a lot of strength/muscle training along with Axel practice. I've always thought that I'm very thin, that I'm weak without muscles, therefore my jumps are not stable. But, to put it another way, I thought my jumps were born from that, and I told myself that is who I am. But as I was practicing 4A, I realized that I couldn't jump it in the same way as before. So I thought about what I hadn't done before, and it was strength training. And as a result, I couldn't jump anymore. 

Ikee: Because of too much weight?

Hanyu: It might be because of the weight, but I probably lost my balance and I got injured more often. Also, I realized that I couldn't use my muscles well after all. I felt that I had gained muscles that were not necessary for skating. When I run, I usually get muscle pain. So I probably don't have any running muscles at all.  As for swimming, I could not take a breath at all.

池江そのたびに立って止まるみたいな

羽生そうそう。平泳ぎで弱m泳ぐのに何十分かかるの?というレベルです。たぶんそういう筋肉を何も持ってないんですよね。だから、陸上でたとえ鍛えたとしても氷上で使えないなと思ったんです。今はむしろ原点に立ち返って、アクセルジャンプに必要な基礎って何だろうというのを氷上でひたすらやっています。やっぱりうまくなってくると、基礎に立ち返らなくなるから。今のこの難しいレベル、難しい技術の状態から、さらにうまくなるためには、より高度なすごく細かいところを積み重ねようとするんですよね。水泳で言ったらビート板をってバタ足だけするみたいな感じかもしれないですけど、自分が今まで習ってきた先生の言っていたことや、本当にちっちゃい頃に仙台で習ってきたことを一つ一つ思い返して、「この練習、こんな意味あったんだな」とかっていうのを考えながら、じゃあ今の自分にはこの練習をやったほうがいいなとか、逆にこの基礎はしっかりできてるから要らないかなと判断して。あの頃みたいに何時間も練習したら壊れるから、うまく効率よく、必要な基礎練をしっかり選んでやっています。

Ikee: You had to stop and stand up every time you take a breath.

Hanyu: Yes, yes. How many minutes does it take to swim a weak meter in the breaststroke? That's the level. I probably don't have any muscles like that. So even if I trained them on track, I couldn't use the gained muscles on the ice. Now, I'm going back to the basics, what are the basics for Axel jumps, on the ice. Because when you get better, you start losing sight of the basics. From this difficult level, this difficult technique, to get better, you try to build up more and more advanced, very detailed things. In swimming, it may be like using a swimming board and doing only butterfly, but I have to think back what my teacher said and what I learned in Sendai when I was a little boy, and I have to think, "What was the meaning of this practice?" Then I decided that I should do this practice, or that I don't need this practice because I have already mastered the basics. If I practiced for hours like I did as a child, I would break down, so I try to be efficient and choose the basic exercises that I need.

池江私は今、スタートが出遅れるところが課題なんです。スタートから6m付近のタイムが国内のトップの選手と比べても0.4秒遅れているというのがあって。0.4秒って、さっきも世界記録と比較しましたが、体半分ぐらい離されるんです。病気前は頭1個分2個分、そんなに頑張らなくても平気で出ていたぐらいだったのに。

でも、スタートで体半分離れていても、タッチした時に自分が勝ってることがあるので、それによって、自分は誰より泳ぎが速いんだっていうことが分かる。でも、体重もまだ戻ってないので、体重を重くするためにも今までなくなった筋力を取り戻すという意味でも、筋力トレーニングをすごく多く入れています。上からダイブプして04秒離れるということは、体重によると思うんです。もし下からみんなでスタートしたら、自分はダントツトップで勝てるんだって思うと、やっぱり体重を増やさなきゃいけない。それと、水中動作、ドルフィンキックをもう少し極めなきゃいけないと考えています。トップの選手の横で練習する時は、水中でどれくらいしなやかな動きでどれくらいのテンポでドルフィンキックしているのかしっかり見て勉強しています。私は一番下から、どん底から這い上がっていく段階の人間なので、いろんな人を見て勉強しながら、これからもっと速くなっていくという感覚で、課題を持ってやっています。

羽生話を聞いていて、オリンピックで何をしたいのかっていうのがすごく分かりました。勝ちたいんだなって。

池江そうですね。

羽生それが一番だなって僕は思うし。あとは、できたことができなくなるとか、昔は勝てた相手に勝てなくなるみたいなことって、すごくつらいことだろうと思うけど、それに対してもしっかり自分の中で割り切ってやってますもんね。

池江はい。

羽生心の底のどこかでは、引っかかっている部分はあるとは思うんです。僕からしたら、それを出せる空間とか場所とか時間がちょっとでもあればいいかなと思います。僕は泣きたい時、ひたすら泣くんで。

Ikee: My problem now is that I get off to a slow start. My time around 6m from the start is 0.4 seconds slower than the top athletes in Japan, and 0.4 seconds, as I mentioned earlier, is half a body length off the world record. Before I got sick, I used to be one or two head lengths behind, and I didn't have to work that hard to get there. But even if I'm half a body length away at the start, sometimes I'm ahead when I touch, so that shows me that I'm a faster swimmer than anyone else. But I haven't got my weight back yet, so I've been doing a lot of strength training, both to get heavier and to regain the strength I've lost. I think the fact that you can dive from the top and be away for 0,4 seconds depends on your weight. If you start from the bottom, you have to gain weight to be able to win. I also think that I need to improve my movement in the water, my dolphin kick. When I train next to the top athletes, I watch and learn how flexible they are in the water and how fast they kick the dolphin. I'm a person who has come up from the bottom, from the bottom of the pile, so I watch and learn from all kinds of people, and I do it with the feeling that I'm going to get faster.

Hanyu: Listening to you, I really understood what you want to do in the Olympics. You want to win, don't you?

Hanyu: I think that's the most important thing. Also, I think it must be very hard to not be able to do the things you used to be able to do, or to not be able to beat the people you used to be able to beat, but you've managed to deal with that in your own way, haven't you?

Ike: Yes.

Hanyu: I'm sure that deep down inside of you, there is a part of you that is struggling. From my point of view, I think it would be good if there was a space or a place or a time where you could let it out. When I want to cry, I simply cry.

池江羽生さんも泣くんですか? 私も溜まった時には、メッチャ泣きます。

羽生僕は一人で泣きますね。この間も、お風呂場でガン泣きしていました。

池江それをみんなの前では出さないからそうするっていうことですよね。

羽生出せないんですよ、結局。だって、みんなには分かってもらえるものではないと思うし。僕が持ってる気持ちや、自分が今までやってきたことって、誰の人生と比一較しても同じものは絶対ないじゃないですか。それは池江さんも一緒だと思うんですけど。もちろん価値観が似ている人や、何となく理解し合える仲間はいるかもしれないですけど、自分の気持ちは自分でしか発散できないし、自分にしか分からないことは一人でワーッて泣きます。

Ikue: Do you cry too, Mr Hanyu? I also cry a lot when I'm overwhelmed.

Hanyu: Yes, I cry alone. The other day I was crying in the bathroom.

Ikee: You don't show it in front of everyone, so that's why you do it, isn't it?

Hanyu: In the end, I can't show it. I don't think that anyone can understand me. The feelings I have and the things I've done up until now are absolutely not the same as anyone else's life, no matter how you compare them. I think it's the same for you. Of course, there may be people who have similar values and friends who understand each other somehow, but I can only vent my feelings on my own, and I cry alone about things that only I can understand.

羽生選手は、外で買い物とかできるんですか」

Can Hanyu go shopping outside?

さて、羽生さんは東京オリンピックが終わると、次の冬季オリンピックシーズンがやってきますね。

羽生きちゃいますね。早いですね。これからもやることをしっかりやっていきます。自分がやりたいこととかやるべきことが今、正確に見えてるし。それがもちろん近道じゃなかったとしても、その道をたどって行く最中に本当の道が見えてくるかもしれないし、実際これが本当の道なのかもしれない。それは誰にも分からないことなので。ただひたすら、今やるべきことをやっていきます。

もし僕がこの夏のオリンピックに出る選手だったとしてもそれは同じですね。世の中の状況に関係なく、自分のやるべきことを淡々と……、淡々ととはいかないかもしれないですけど。たまには無茶しなきゃいけない時もあるんですけど。自分が目標として掲げている、金メダルだったり、メダルだったり、世界記録だったり、そういったものを目指して練習するしかない。世の一中は刻一刻と変わっていって、それによって自分の人生や自分の考えがすごく左右されるとは思うんです。自分自身もこの先も試合がなくなったり、練習ができなくなることがあるかもしれないけど、頑張ること、目指しているものは基本的には変わりないので。そのために何ができるかを毎日考えながら頑張るのが、一番やるべきことじゃないかなと思います。

池江私、聞きたいことがあったんです。

たぶん羽生選手は、他のアスリートとは違うレベルで世の中に名が知られていると思うんですけど、外とか歩いてるのかなっていうシンプルな疑問で。外で買い物とかできますか。

羽生池江さんもそれこそ外歩けないんじゃないですか?

池江私はメチャメチャ歩きますね。

羽生ほんとですか。よく周りの人に「帽子かぶってもマスクしててもバレるから」

って言われるんです。

池江確かに。

Q: So, Hanyu, after the Tokyo Olympics, the next Winter Olympic season will come.

Hanyu: Yes, it's coming. It's too soon. I'll continue to do what I have to do. I know exactly what I want to do and what I need to do. Even if it's not a shortcut, I might be able to see the real path while I'm following it. No one knows for sure. I'm just going to do what I have to do now. If I were an athlete in the Olympics this summer, it would be the same. Regardless of what's going on in the world, I'm going to do what I have to do without hesitation. Sometimes I have to be reckless. You have to train for what you have set as your goal, be it a gold medal, a medal, a world record or something like that. The world is changing all the time and it affects my life and my thoughts a lot. There may be times in the future when I won't be able to compete or practice, but what I'm trying to do, what I'm aiming for, is basically the same. I think the best thing we can do is to work hard and think about what we can do to achieve this every day.

Ikee: I wanted to ask you something. I think Hanyu is famous in the world at a different level from other athletes, and I have a simple question: Do you walk around outside? Do you go shopping outside?

Hanyu: I bet even you can't walk outside, can you?

Ikee: I walk a lot.

Hanyu: Really? People around me often say, "Even if you wear a hat or a mask, people will know." That's what they say to me.

Ikee: That's true.

羽生でも、それは池江さんも一緒だろうなと思ってたんですけど。

池江どうなんですかね。私は確かに肩幅も広いし身長もあるので、他の女の子とはちょっと違う。「あれっ」て思われる。マスクと帽子姿でも。

羽生みんなたぶん分かってると思いますよ。

池江分かるんですかね(笑)。

羽生僕は外に出る習慣が基本的にないので。買い物もあまり好きじゃないですし、家でゲームしてるのが一番好きです。

池江そうなんですね。私はアウトドア派だから外に出られないのはきついです。私、先日すごく学ぶことがあったんです。自分のSNSに届いたメッセージについて意見をした時のことなんですが。その発信をした理由にはいろいろあって。オリンピックに対しての意見がものすごくて。もちろん今は仕方ないんですけど。あの時、身近な人に相談をしたら、応援してくれている人のほうが全然多いんだよって言ってもらって、すごく気が楽になったんです。余」計なことをしちゃったなって逆に反省しました。応援してくれている人たちのために頑張ればいいのに、なんであんなに悩んで発信したんだろうって。オリンピックに対してあまりいい意見を持ってない人たちもいる中で、自分はどうしていくべきかと考えるよりかは、自分は自分のままでいるべきっていうことに気づいた機会でもありまJた。

羽生僕らは、たくさんの方から応援してもらえて、それによって多くの力をもらえている。自分が何かした時に、嬉しいと思っていただける。それがあるだけで、自分たちはたぶん存在している意味があると思います。お互い頑張っていきましょう。

池江はい!

Hanyu: But I thought that would be the same for you, too, Ikee-san.

Ikee: I don't know. I have broad shoulders and I'm tall, so I'm a bit different from other girls. Even in a mask and a hat.

Hanyu: I think everyone knows that.

Ikee: Do they know?

Hanyu: I don't really have the habit of going out. I don't like shopping either, and I like playing games at home best.

Ikee: Is that so? I'm an outdoorsy person, so not being able to go outside is tough for me. I learned something the other day. I was giving my opinion on a message I received on my social media. There are many reasons why I did that. There were so many opinions about the Olympics. Of course, I can't help it now. I talked to someone close to me at the time and they told me that there were many more people who supported me, which made me feel a lot better. I felt sorry for what I had done. I should have done my best for the people who were supporting me, but I don't know why I was so worried about sending out such a message. There are people who don't have a good opinion about the Olympics, so instead of thinking about what I should do, I realized that I should just be myself.

Hanyu: We have a lot of people supporting us, and that gives us a lot of strength. When we do something, people feel happy. I think that's probably the only reason why we exist. Let's do our best for each other.

Ikee: Yes!

3 часа назад, birnasan сказал:

Here is my automatic translation of the Number interview with OCR and deepl, slightly inspired by the previous translation parts by orangesrgd and SuzyQ. My OCR didn't have its best day, there are a few errors (especially with numbers) that I couldn't correct. Again, I don't speak Japanese and this is not a proper translation.

Показать контент

スペシャル対談「ただ、勝利のために

その苦しみを知っている冬の王者は、彼女のことを気にかけていた。濃密な時間は、そこからスタートし、話はオリンピックの心構え、互いの目指すものへと移っていくトップアスリートの世紀の対談を、ここに余すことなくお届けする。

One day, the winter champion and the swimming sensation, who will be back at the Olympic Games this summer, had a chat.

The winter champion knows her pain and cares for her. This is the story of a conversation between two top athletes that started with a conversation about the Olympics and what they wanted to achieve.

池江たぶんお聞きかと思うんですけど一番衝撃を受けたのは、平昌オリンピックで羽生選手が金メダルを獲った時です。私は、スケーターに知り合いがいることもあって、スケートを見るのは結構好きなんです。その日、私は日本国内で試合(KONAMI _OPEN)があったんですけど、羽生選手がオリンピックで優勝したと知って、「こんなに努力して頑張っている人がいるんだから、私もできるはず」と思い、200m自由形に臨みました。そこで日本一記録を出せたりとか、ものすごくいい刺激をいただいています。

ご自身の病気のことはもちろん、他の病気にかかった人を勇気づけたいとか、元気になってほしいというものまで全部。そんなに背負わなくてもいいんじゃないかなと思いつつ、背負っているから強いんだろうなとも。一言で言うと、すごいなと感じていました。

池江確かに背負わなくていいことまで背負っている気は自分でもしています。復帰してからは、病気した人代表みたいなものをすべてのレースで感じていました。でもそれをもっと軽くしたくても、どうやってそういう自分を作っていったらいいか分からないみたいなところもあって。それは仕方ないのかな、という感じです。

Ikee: As you probably know, the most impressive moment for me was when Hanyu won the gold medal at the Pyeongchang Olympics. I like to watch skating a lot, because I know some skaters. On that day, I had a competition (Konami  Open) in Japan, and when I heard that Hanyu won the Olympic Games, I thought, "There are people who work so hard, so I should be able to do it too", so I went to the 200m freestyle. I was able to set the Japanese record there, and it's been a great inspiration for me.

Hanyu: Thank you very much (laughs).  From my point of view, I feel like an old person when I say this, but I've always thought that you're working very hard for such a young person with so many things on your shoulders. Of course, you have your own illness, but you also want to encourage people who have other illnesses and want them to get well. I think you shouldn't have to carry so much on your shoulders, but at the same time I think you are strong because you do. In a word, I felt it was amazing.

Ikee: It's true that I feel I'm carrying things on my back that I shouldn't have to. After I came back to racing, I felt like I was representing people who were sick in every race. I wanted to make it easier, but I didn't know how to do that.

Hanyu: When I was 16 years old, the Great East Japan Earthquake happened, and I felt that I started to carry a lot of things after that.

今も、東日本大震災の支援や復興に関する依頼はなるべく受けるようにしているのですが、当時はすごく重たく思っていました。ジュニアでタイトルをすべて獲ってシニアに上がり、世界の舞台で戦うようになった頃の出来事でした。大震災という天災が起きて、僕は被災地代表みたいになったんです。日本代表ではなく。一生懸命日本代表になって、やっとつかんだシニアで戦う権利みたいなものが、急に、被災地で頑張っている人間だから選ばれているんだというように思われるのは、すごく悔しかった。ここまで一生懸命頑張ってきたのは、

別に震災のためでも被災地のためでもなく、ただ強くなりたいだけだったのに、という気持ちが強くあって。でもそこから1年をかけて心境がかなり変化していきました。年末の全日本選手権の後、ファンの方々のお手紙を読む時間があって、自分はこんなにも応援されているんだということに気づいたんです。ただ日本代表として世界に実力を見せつけたいと思っていたのが、被一災地代表だろうが日本代表だろうが、応援してもらっていることに感謝し、その力を受け取りながら頑張ることが一番なんだなってその時思いました。

押ししてくれたような感覚があったんです。応援をちゃんと受け止めて、それが結果に結びついた時に、初めて皆さんへの恩返しになるということにも気づきました。今は逆に、元気を与えられる立場なんだ、自分だから言えることっていろいろあるんだ、

池江そうですね。

Even now, I try to accept requests for support and recovery from the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami, but at that time, I took it very seriously. It was around the time when I won all the junior titles, moved up to the senior ranks, and started competing on the world stage. Then the earthquake happened, and I became a representative of the disaster area instead of representing Japan. It was very frustrating to suddenly have the right to compete in the Senior World Championships, which I had worked so hard for, but suddenly I thought that I was only selected because I was working hard in the disaster area.

I had worked so hard to get to this point, not because of the earthquake or the disaster area, but because I just wanted to be strong. But over the next year, my feelings changed a lot. After Japanese Nationals at the end of the year, I had time to read the letters from my fans, and I realized how much they supported me. I thought I just wanted to show my ability to the world as a representative of Japan, but I realized at that time that the best thing to do was to be grateful for the support I was receiving, whether I was a representative of a disaster-affected area or of Japan, and to do my best while receiving that power.

At the World Championships in March of the following year, I was injured, but I felt as if everyone's support had pushed me to the end. I realized that I would only be able to repay those supporters when I received their support properly and it led to the results. Now, I am aware that I am in a position to give people energy, and that there are many things I can say because I am the one who can. There are many things I can say because I am in a position to give energy. I think we may be feeling the same way.

羽生池江さんは、病気になった時は、オリンピックも近づいていて焦る気持ちも絶対にあったと思いますし、ちょうど結果が一出ている時だったから、余計つらかったと思うんです。僕も、報道で知った時はなんて大変なんだろうってすごく思いました。今は、病気を克服して頑張っている池江さんの姿が、病気を抱えている人、そして病気から立ち直って頑張ろうとしている人へのエールにもなっていると思います。それを背負うことは、水泳と関係ないところでのプレッシャーですし、いろいろ感じるかと思うんですけど、絶対にそれは池江さんにしかできないことですし、僕も僕にしかできないことなんです。プレッシャーってすごく重たいですよね。

羽生水泳選手の場合、「第何レーン、何々」と言われて入っていく時にやっぱり歓声があがりますけど、そこで手を挙げて応えたりするじゃないですか。ほんとにすごいなと思って。僕だったら、ギリギリまでイヤホンを付けていて、何もできないなとか思いながら見てるんです

池江私は逆に、自分の名前が呼ばれた時の歓声で、「みんなが自分のことを応援してくれるんだ。みんなが自分のことを見てくれる。よし、頑張ろう」っていう気持ちになるタイプなんですよ。

Hanyu: When Ikee got sick, the Olympics were coming up, and I'm sure she was in a hurry, and the competition results were just starting to come in, so I think it was even harder on her. When I heard about it in the news, I also thought how hard it was. Now, I think that the fact that Ikee has overcome her illness and is doing her best is a shout out to those who have the disease and to those who are trying to recover from it. It's a lot of pressure to carry that on your shoulders, even though it has nothing to do with swimming, and I'm sure you feel a lot of pressure, but it's something only you can do. Pressure is very heavy, isn't it?

Ike: Yes, but from my point of view, Hanyu seems to be entering the rink with a lot of confidence.

Hanyu: In the case of swimmers, when they are told "what lane, etc." and they enter the rink, there are cheers, but they respond by raising their hands. I thought that was really amazing. If it were me, I'd be watching with earphones in until the very last minute, thinking I couldn't do anything.

Ikee: On the contrary, when my name was called, I heard the cheers and thought, "Everyone is cheering for me. Everyone is looking at me. I'm the type of person who feels like, "Okay, I'll do my best."

羽生じゃあ、見られているのは結構好きなんですね池江見られているのが好きっていうか、速く泳ぐ自分が好きという感覚ですね。以前、2017年だったと思うのですが、海外での試合で、世界記録を持っている選手と一緒に泳ぐことがありました。その選手のコーチは旦那さんで、彼女への応援の仕方が独特だったんです。声だけでなくものをすごく叩いたりして。レースは私とその選手が競る展開になったのですが、私はその応援を、「よし、自分を応援してくれているんだ」と思い込んで泳いだんです。それがすごく楽しくて。そういうのが結構結果につながっているのかなと思います羽生やっぱり応援の力ってすごく大きいですよね。オリンピックでは、観客数に制限がかかった状態で、声援もないかもしれないですけど、応援を力に変えられているというのは大きいと思います僕の場合、昔はすごく重たくてつらいと思っていたんですが、重たいということは、これはエネルギーだなと思って、この重を、地に足つけるエネルギーにしたり、緊張しているからこそいいパフォーマンスができるというふうに変換して考えられるようになりました。こういう時代だからこそ、水泳に興味がある方だけじゃなくて、きっと普段よりもすっごくいっぱい、いろいろな方が応援してくださっていると思うので、無責任な言い方かもしれないですけど、実際そこに力はあるから、それを力だと思って頑張ってほしいです。

Ikee: I think it was in 2017, I swam with a world record holder in a competition overseas. Her coach was her husband, and he had a unique way of cheering her on. Not only did he shout, but he also hit things very hard. The race turned out to be a race between me and her, but I swam with the idea that the cheering was for me. That was really fun. I think that's what led to my results. 

Hanyu: The power of cheering is huge, isn't it? In the Olympics, the number of spectators will be limited and there may be no cheering, but the cheering is a great help. Now I can think of it in terms of energy, or that I can perform better because I'm nervous. It may sound irresponsible of me to say this, but the power is there, so I hope you will take it as your strength and do your best.

池江ありがとうございます。平昌オリンピックの時のことでうかがいたいことがあるんですが、確か、怪我をされた直後の試合でしたよね? 怪我している選手が、それこそいろいろなプレッシャーがある中であそこまでいい結果を出すというのは、メンタルが相当強い方なんだなと思っていました。私はこう見えて意外とメンタルが弱かったりするので。羽生選手でも、自信が持てないまま試合に出ちゃう時ってあるんですか。

羽生自信がないのは、練習がしっかりできなかったりとか、思い描いていたものができず、ここまでやっておきたかったなという気持ちがある時です。でも、試合に一入ったら、基本目信で溢れていますね。平昌では確かに怪我をしていて、すごく強い痛み止めを飲んで、自分の感覚を消してまでやらなきゃいけないような状態でしただから、練習もしっかりできていたとは言えないし、実際試合に行くメンタルではなかったと思います。でも、自分の中には、ソチオリンピックで金メダルを獲ったという成功体験がある。同時に、ソチではあまりいい演技ではなかったという面もある。オリンピックの成功体験も悪かったところも知っている。だからあまり怖くなかったです。その時に、駄目だった理由を分析し「こうやればよかったんだな」と対処法をちゃんと学んでいたから。さらにソチオリンピックから平昌オリンピックまでの4年の間にも、同じような現象が何回も起きて、「だったらこうしていけばいい」「こうしていれば絶対勝てる」ということを続けていたので、いい練習ができなくても、たとえ自分が怪我していたとしても、絶対オリンピックだけは勝てるという自信が、あの時ありました。

Ikee: Thank you very much. I would like to ask you something about the PyeongChang Olympics. I thought that you must have a very strong mentality to be able to do so well under so much pressure as an injured athlete. I have a surprisingly weak mental strength. Even you, Hanyu, are there times when you go into a competition without confidence?

Hanyu: There are times when I don't feel confident, like when I wasn't able to practice the way I wanted to, and I feel like I should have done more. But once I'm in the competition, I'm full of basic confidence. In PyeongChang, I was injured, I had to take very strong painkillers, I had to kill my senses, so I couldn't say that practice was going well and I didn't have the mental state to go to the competition. But I had with me the experience of winning the gold medal at Sochi, even though I didn't have a good performance there. I knew about the experience of the Olympic success and I knew about what went wrong, so I was not too scared. At that time, I analysed the reasons why I didn't do well, and I learned how to deal with it. And in the four years between the Sochi Olympics and the PyeongChang Olympics, the same thing happened many times, and I kept thinking "then I should do this" and "if I do this, I can definitely win". So even if I couldn't train well, even if I was injured, I was confident that I could win the Olympics.

気に圧倒されちゃったりするので羽生あと、言霊ってよく言うじゃないですか。ポジティブなことを言っていたら表情がよくなるし、表情がよくなったら心も軽くなる。言った言葉がそのまま自分に返ってくるじゃないけど。もう、そういうところに頼るしかないんですよ。オリンピックって緊張しすぎちゃうので。僕も全然メンタル強くないから。

池江そうなんですか?羽生ほんとに。身近な方々も含めてみんなから「メンタル強い」って言われるし、「ほんとに大舞台でいい演技できるよね」って言われるんですけど、昔から一回も自分のことをメンタル強いと思ったことはないです。すっごく緊張するし、試合の前に震える時もある。でも、弱いなりにこうしたらいいっていうのが分かるというか、弱いからこそそういう考え方を学んできたので。自分が信じられるもの、僕だったら、自分が言った言葉は自分の心を左右するということをすごく気にしていたので、平昌の時も現地に入った瞬間に「金メダルしかないです」「優勝するためだけに来ました」と言っていました。もう優勝した気になってる、みたいな。そうしたら、後から結果はついてくると、信じていましたね。池江怪我に対する不安はどうだったんでする。

Ikee: That feeling might be important. If you don't have confidence in yourself, you may be overwhelmed by the unique atmosphere in the Olympics.

Hanyu: Also, we often say that we should say positive things. If you say something positive, your expression will improve, and if your expression improves, your mind will become lighter. It's true that the words you say will come back to you. That's what I had to rely on. In the Olympics, I get too nervous. I'm not mentally strong at all either.

Hanyu: Yes, really. Everyone around me says I'm mentally strong, and that I can really perform well on the biggest stage, but I've never thought of myself as mentally strong. I get very nervous and sometimes I shake before a competition. But I know how to do things in a certain way, and I've learned to think that way because of my weakness. I was very concerned about my words because they would influence my mind, so the moment I arrived in PyeongChang, I said "I only want the gold medal" and "I'm here only to win". I believed that the results would follow my words. I had faith in that.

羽生現地に行った瞬間に不安はなかったですね。現地に行く前に心は決まっていました。その頃、4回転ジャンプが4種類あったんですけど、僕はまだ2種類しかしっかり跳べてなくて、3種類目を試合に入れるかどうかを迷っていました。でも、練習でその3種類目が一発も跳べなくて。ループっていうジャンプで、ちょうど捻挫した右足で踏み切って右足で降りなきゃいけないという、自分にとって怪我したところを思いっきり痛めつっけるみたいなジャンプなので、すごく怖かったんですね。実際に筋肉もすごく落ちていたから、できなかったんですけど。でも、平昌オリンピックに行く前の練習で、「お前、これ降りたら絶対優勝できる」って自分に言い聞かせたんです。

これ降りなかったら優勝できない、優勝できないんだったらオリンピックに行く価値がないって思って。「行く権利もないだ、お前」って言いながら練習していました。それで、最後の練習の最後の5分ぐらいでループを決めたんですよ。その時点で、優勝したと思って行ったので、全然不安感とかはなかったですね。結局オリンピックにループを入れることはなかったんですけど。

Hanyu: I didn't feel anxious the moment I got there. My mind was made up before I went there. At that time, I had four quadruple jumps, but I could only do two of them in practice and hesitated if I could add the third one. In the practice, I couldn't jump the third one at all. It was a Loop, where I had to jump and land with my sprained right leg, so I was afraid of it, because it was hurting the injured part of my leg. Also, I couldn't do it, because I had lost so much muscle. But before I went to PyeongChang Olympics, I told myself, "If I land this, I'll win!" I thought, "If I don't land this, I won't win, and if I don't win, I don't deserve to go to the Olympics. And then, in the last five minutes of the last practice, I did 4Lo. At that point, I thought I had already won, so I wasn't worried at all. In the end, I didn't do the loop in the Olympics, though.

-池江さんは、オリンピック2度目の出場。羽生さんは次の北京で3度目になりますが、やはり先ほど羽生さんもおっしゃったように、複数回出ることで成し遂げられることというのもあり、そこに意義も感じられますか。

池江そうですね。今年は、6年とは全く違った気持ちでオリンピックに行く年になると思います。でも、私はまだ0歳で、あと何回オリンピックに出られるか分からないですけど、この東京オリンピックは、年後のパリに向けての準備段階だと思って挑もうと考えています。もちろん今回の試合も大事ですし、結果を出したいと強く思っていますが、今回は個人種目に出られないので、リレーでチームに貢献し、結果を出して、その先にパリが待っているという」ような考えでいます。今回はオリンピックに対しては深く考えすぎずに挑めるかなとは思っています。

そもそも私4月の代表選考会だった日本選手権で優勝するまでは、オリンピックに行く気はほとんどなかったですし。決まったら決まったで、もちろん頑張ろうとは思っていました自分の目標は2年だから、別に今回代公に入らなくてもいいやという気持ちであの選考会に臨んでいたんです。あまり変なプレッシャーもなかったからこそ、すごくいい結果がついてきたのかなという印象もあります。

Q: Ikee-san is competing in her second Olympics. As Mr. Hanyu said earlier, there are things that you can achieve by competing more than once, so do you feel that this is significant?

Ikee: Yes, I do. This year, I think I will go to the Olympics with a completely different feeling compared to the last time I went. But I'm only 21 years old, and I don't know how many more Olympics I'll be able to participate in, but I'm going to try to think of this Tokyo Olympics as a preparation stage for Paris in three years. Of course the games are important and I want to achieve results, but I can't compete in the individual events this time, so I want to contribute to the team in the relays, achieve results and then Paris will be waiting for me. I don't think I can think too much about the Olympics this time.

Ikee: In the first place, until I won the Japan National Championships in April, I didn't have any intention of going to the Olympics. I didn't have too much pressure on me, and I think that's why I got such a good result.

最近一番悔しかったことと、それを思い出す時。

池江オリンピックでは、メダルを獲らなきゃ意味がないと思いました。私はメダルを獲っていませんが、リオから東京に帰国する時、飛行機までは一緒なんですけど、空港に降りた瞬間、「はい、メダリストはこっち」と言われて動線が分かれるんです羽生ああ、そんな感じになりますね。

選手によっては「オリンピックに行くことに意味がある」と言ったり、「決勝に行くことに意味がある」と言う人もたくさんいると思うんですけど、私の中では、メダルを獲らなきゃ意味がない、というか面白くないなと、競技者として痛感しました。羽生なんかいいですよね。そういうの好きですよ(笑)。僕も本当に、さっき言ったように、平昌オリンピックに行く前、「金メダルを獲らなかったら、お前は行く権利ない」と思っていたので。でも、その時は考えなかったんですけど、思い返してみると、今まで自分が競技を続けていくにあたってどれだけの人に支えられてきたかと考えると、やっぱりちゃんと結果を残さないと申し訳ないなと思うんですよね。だって、自分が競技のために投資するサプリだって、スケートリンクの費用、コーチ費、遠征費、その他もろもろいろいろ考えていくと、ものすごい時間とお金と労力がかかっているわけです。応援してくれる人にはもちろんですけど、直接支えてくれている人にメチャクチャ申し訳ないなって思うんですよね。だから、出るんだったら結果は欲しいと思うし、メダルが欲しい、金メダルが欲しいと思うのは当然であって。そう思えるのは、自分に期待がかけられていることと、自分の理想がしっかり見えているということだから、すごくいいことだと思います。それを思っちゃいけないと言う人もいるんですけどね。

Ikee: In the Olympics, I thought that if you don't win a medal, it's meaningless. I didn't win a medal, but when I came back to Tokyo from Rio, we were on the plane together, but when we got off the plane at the airport, they said, "Okay, medalists go this way," and we were separated. I went to the Olympics, I went to the finals, I set a lot of Japanese records, but I learned for the first time at the age of 16 that it's not enough to just set Japanese records or to go to the finals. Some athletes say that going to the Olympics is meaningful, and there are many who say that going to the finals is meaningful, but for me, as a competitor, I realized that if you don't win a medal, it's meaningless or not interesting. 

Hanyu: That's nice. I like that kind of thing (laughs). Like I said before, before I went to the PyeongChang Olympics, I thought, "If you don't win a gold medal, you have no right to go". When I look back, I think about how many people have supported me in my career, and I would feel sorry if I didn't get a good result. The supplements, the cost of skating rinks, coaches, trips, and so on, it takes a lot of time, money and effort. I would feel so sorry for the people who support me. So if I'm going to compete, I want results, I want medals, I want gold medals, that's natural. I think it's good that I can think that way, because it means that people are expecting a lot from me and I have a clear vision of my ideal. Some people say you shouldn't think that way.

-お二人とも「勝ちたい」という気持を前面に出すアスリートですね。羽生だって、勝ちたいからメチャクチャ頑張って練習してるんじゃないですか。池江私もです。勝つために試合に行っているし。何十時間何百時間かけて1つの試合のために頑張ってきたという思いは、競技者としてすごく必要だと思っています。

-羽生さんの場合、「納得できる演技ができればいい」という発言も見られます羽生それは単なる自分への言い聞かせです(笑)。自分の中で、勝つことに関しては達成したんですよね。獲りたかったタイトルはすべて獲って、自分が目標としているものがイコール「勝つ」じゃなくなっちゃったんです。例えば勝つだけだったら、4回転半という今目分が挑戦しているジャンプは要らないと思います。だったら4回転の種類をしっかり増やして、いい演技をコンスタントにできるほうが絶対勝てるんです。でも、それじゃあ僕は競技者としてもつまらなくなってしまったというか、そこにモチベーションを感じなくなってしまったというのが正直なところです。

池江そうですね。もちろんタイムを出してもメダルがついてこない場合もありますし、そこはすごく難しいところではあるんですけど。私は、日本国内では記録もたくさん持っているし、日本選手権も何度も勝っていますが、世界大会やオリンピックではメダルを獲っていません。みんな私のことを「すごい選手だ」と思いがちですが、世界ではまだメダル争いができるような選手ではありません。羽生選手のように、世界で勝つことが当たり前になったらそれはまたかっこいいなと、メダルを獲ってない立場からすると思いました。

Q: Both of you are athletes who put the desire to win at the forefront of your minds. 

Ikee: Me too. I go to the games to win. As a competitor, I think it's very important to know that you've spent tens or hundreds of hours working hard for a single match.

Q: In the case of Hanyu, I have seen him say that it is good if he can perform to his satisfaction.

Hanyu: (laughs) In my mind, as far as winning is concerned, I have achieved that. I've won all the titles I wanted to win, and my goal is no longer "winning". For example, if I only wanted to win, I wouldn't need to do 4A, which is what I'm trying to do now. If I just wanted to win, then it's better to have more quad jumps and to be able to do them consistently. But then, I would feel bored as a competitor, or don't feel motivated by that, to be honest. Ikee's motivation is probably just to improve his time.

Ikee: That's right. Of course, even if you set a good time, the medal may not come with it, so it's a very difficult thing. I have a lot of records in Japan, and I have won the Japanese Championships many times, but I haven't won any medals at the World Championships or the Olympics. People tend to think I'm a great athlete, but I'm not a medal contender in the world yet. From a non-medalist's point of view, I think it would be cool to win in the world like Hanyu did.

羽生確かにそういう立場だったら、タノムとか自分のフォームよりも、ただ勝てればいいと思うべきだと思います。僕も今、自分自身に言い聞かせるように「アクセルが一番の目標」と言っていますけど、結局は勝たなきゃ意味がないと心の底で常に思っているので。それはそのままでいいんじゃないですかね。特にオリンピックは。

羽生もう「勝ちたい」でいいと思います。で、勝つためにはじゃあ何をしたらいいんだろうということを突き詰めて、そこに集中しちゃえば、あとは緊張とかもそんなに感じなくなってくるんじゃないかなと思います。僕はね(笑)。

池江私も、似てるかもしれませんが、練習でうまくいかなかった時にあります。気持ちの上では、自分はどこまでも行けるって思っているんですけど、追い込んでも結局体がついてこなくて、苦しくて、他の選手みたいに泳げなかったりすることが一番悔しいなと思います。

Hanyu: If you're in that position, you should think that it's better to just win, rather than think about the progression or your form. I always say to myself that "4A is the most important goal", but in the end, I always think deep down that if I don't win, it's meaningless. I think it's good to keep it that way. Especially in the Olympics.

Hanyu: I think it's fine to just say, "I want to win." If you focus on that, then you won't feel so nervous. That' s how I feel (laughs).

Hanyu: What I regret is that I can't completely exceed my limits. 4A is too hard for me. I'm running away from it. "I think I'm too old, I think it's not something that humans can do." The most frustrating thing is that I'm looking for a way to get out of it.

Ikee: I think it's similar to what happens to me when things don't go well in practice. In my mind, I think I can go as far as I want, but when I push myself, my body doesn't follow, and I suffer, and I can't swim like other swimmers, that's the most frustrating thing.

池江そうなんですよね。逆にそれが今までできてたから、自分をむなしく感じてくる。「そうじゃないんだよ」って自分に言」い聞かせてはいるんですけど。正直言うと過去の自分はすごかったので、今の自分と比べると、本当に毎日のように悔しいと思いながら練習しています。

6月のジャパンオープンで負けた時には、もう二度と負けたくないって思ったし。だから、練習中に本当にしんどくなった時には、「この間負けた時の悔しさを思い出せ」って思って、最後の最後まで頑張ろうとしたりしていますね。

4回転半の練習をし続けていた結果、他のジャンプができなくなったり、その結果として怪我したりとか、そういうのが結構あるんです。そんな苦戦した記憶ないのにできなくなって「なんでこんな簡単なことができないんだろうっ」と思う。周りを見ると、みんな着実にうまくなっていて、自分はただ後退しているだけ、どれだけうまくなろうとしてもうまくなれない、というようなことが昨年はあって、結構苦しんだんです。

僕の場合は、やっぱりスケートでしか感情を出せないなって思ったんですよね。もちろんいろいろなお仕事の中で、例えば震災やコロナのことに関してコメントを求められた時、言葉を必死に考えて出したりしますけど、結局一番自分を出せるのはスケートで。それを見てくださった方が何を思うかとか関係なく、自分でウワーっと「こんな気持ちだーノ」ってやるのが一番好きなんですよね。誰も見てない中でそれをやった時に、「自分、スケート好きだな」と思って。だから続けようと思えたというか。そういうことありません?. 水泳じゃないとこれだけ体力使えないな、とか。

池江本当にそう思いますね。

Hanyu: It's very frustrating when you can't do something that other players can do, isn't it? 

Ikee: That's right. On the contrary, I've been able to do those things before, so I start to feel frustrated with myself. When I lost at the Japan Open in June, I thought I never want to lose again. So when it gets really tough during practice, I think to myself, "Remember how frustrated I was when I lost the other day", and try to do my best until the very end.

Hanyu: Of course, I also have a great feeling of not being able to do what I used to be able to do. As a result of practicing 4A, I couldn't do other jumps, and as a result, I got injured. I don't remember struggling so much, but when I can't do it, I think "why can't I do such a simple thing?" When I look around me, everyone is getting better and better, and I'm just regressing, no matter how much I try to get better, I can't, so I suffered a lot last year. But then, I felt that I could only express my emotions through skating. Of course, when I'm asked to comment on the disaster or Corona, I try to think of some words to say, but in the end, skating is the best way to express myself. I don't care what people think about it, I like it the most when I can say "this is how I feel". When I did it alone with no one watching, I thought "I love skating". That's why I decided to continue. Isn't it like that? Do you think that you can't use this much energy without swimming?

羽生こんな達成感、絶対スケートとか水泳じゃないとないな、みたいなのってあるじゃないですか。たとえゲームが好きで、すごく難しいことを達成したとしても、結局その一瞬だけで終わるんですよ。でもスケートの場合は、何かを達成した時に、「よっしゃ、じゃあ次これやろう」と続いていくんですよね。達成感が他とは全然違う。それのために生きているみたいなところもあって。

池江その気持ちはメチャメチャ分かります。私は、4月の日本選手権で優勝した時に、自分はもちろん、病気を患って苦しい思いをしている人とか、病気を克服して頑張っている最中の人たちに、ものすごく力になっているんだろうなと思いました。だけど、結局私がなぜ水泳を続けているかというと、ただ水泳が好きで、競技で勝て、嬉しいという気持ちを味わいたいからだって気づいたんです。

Hanyu: There's a sense of achievement that you can only get from skating or swimming. Even if you like video games, and you achieve something very difficult, it's only for that moment. But with skating, when you achieve something, you keep going, "Okay, let's do this next one". The sense of accomplishment is totally different from others. It's like you're living for it.

Ikee: I know that feeling very well. When I won the Japan National Championships in April, I thought that I must have given a lot of strength not only to myself, but also to those who are suffering from illnesses and those who are trying to overcome them. But in the end I realised that the only reason I continue to swim is because I love it and I want to feel the joy of winning.

今の課題と、そのために努力していること。

池江私の種目の場合、日本と海外の差がものすごくあるんです。例えば100mバタフライの世界記録が訪秒4で、私が病気前に出した日本記録が6秒0なんですね。あと0.6の差って水泳の中ではものすごく大きい。ただ、海外の選手が達成できているということは、自分もできないことはない。できると思っていますし、それ以上も行けるんじゃないかって。自分の限界を決めてはいけないと、海外の選手やタイムから教えられている感覚があります。そう考えると、すごく楽しい。

ね。池江メチャメチャありますね。

Q: Do you want to go beyond your limits and see something that no one has ever seen before?

Ikee: In my event, there is a huge difference between Japan and other countries. For example, the world record for the 100m butterfly is 4.4 seconds, and the Japanese record I set before I got sick was 6.0 seconds. (???) A difference of 0.6 seconds is a huge difference in swimming. But just because other swimmers have done it, it doesn't mean that I can't do it too. I think I can do it, and I think I can do even better than that. I feel that the international athletes and time have taught me not to set my own limits. When I think about it, it's really fun.

Hanyu: In figure skating, it's not so much about body size, but in swimming it is. Right? 

池江私は、171.9とか、2弱。

羽生じゃあ同じくらいなんだ。池江ほんとですか。でも、海外の選手は29以上高いので。プラス、筋肉も、体格もメチャメチャよくて。こんな人たちに勝てるの?と思うけど、そこで自分の限界を見せたくないというか、体格は関係ないことを証明したいという気持ちもすごくあります。それが水泳の面白いところでもあるなと思います。

池江まあ、実際はそうなんですけどね()。

Ikee: Really? But overseas athletes are taller than 29 (???). Plus, their muscles and physique are really good. How can I beat them? But I don't want to show my limitations, and I want to prove that size doesn't matter. I think that's one of the interesting things about swimming.

す。いわゆる0.W秒っていう世界は僕も一緒だと思います。空中の滞空時間をコンマ0何秒延ばせばあとどれくらい回るかとか。あとは、回転の速度もコンマ何秒上げればみたいなところもたぶんあるので、同じようなことはしていると思います。

羽生僕、去年の全日本選手権の前まで、アクセルの練習と一緒にすごく筋トレをやったんです。というのも、自分はかなり細くて、どっちかというと筋肉がなくても弱く、ジャンプが安定しないタイプだと常に思っていたんです。だけど、言ってみれば、それがあるからこそ自分のジャンプが生まれると思っていて、それが自分なんだと言い聞かせていました。でも、4回転半の練習をやっているうちに、これは今までと同じ方法じゃ跳べないと思って。じゃあ今までやってこなかったものは何だろうと考えた時に、筋トレだったんです。

で、やった結果、跳べなくなりました。池江重くて?

羽生重くてというのももちろんあると思うんですけど、たぶんバランスが崩れてやっぱり怪我が多くなった。あとは、結局使いこなせないんだなと思いました。スケートには邪魔というか必要じゃない筋肉ばっかりついたなという感じがあって。僕、ランニングとかすると普通に筋肉痛になるんですよ。だから、たぶん走る筋肉は全く持ってないし。水泳なんて、昔、息継ぎが全くできなかったので。

Q: Ikee, you're fighting in the world of 0.6 seconds, and Hanyu, you're fighting in the world of one-eighth of a revolution.

Hanyu: Yes, it's a very small detail, just an eighth of a revolution. I think I'm in the same world of that 0.6-second, where you need to extend your airtime by a few tenths of a second to find out how much further you can go. Also, if I could increase the speed of rotation by a few tenths of a second, I think I would be doing the same thing.

Hanyu: Before last year's All-Japan Championships, I did a lot of strength/muscle training along with Axel practice. I've always thought that I'm very thin, that I'm weak without muscles, therefore my jumps are not stable. But, to put it another way, I thought my jumps were born from that, and I told myself that is who I am. But as I was practicing 4A, I realized that I couldn't jump it in the same way as before. So I thought about what I hadn't done before, and it was strength training. And as a result, I couldn't jump anymore. 

Hanyu: It might be because of the weight, but I probably lost my balance and I got injured more often. Also, I realized that I couldn't use my muscles well after all. I felt that I had gained muscles that were not necessary for skating. When I run, I usually get muscle pain. So I probably don't have any running muscles at all.  As for swimming, I could not take a breath at all.

池江そのたびに立って止まるみたいな

羽生そうそう。平泳ぎで弱m泳ぐのに何十分かかるの?というレベルです。たぶんそういう筋肉を何も持ってないんですよね。だから、陸上でたとえ鍛えたとしても氷上で使えないなと思ったんです。今はむしろ原点に立ち返って、アクセルジャンプに必要な基礎って何だろうというのを氷上でひたすらやっています。やっぱりうまくなってくると、基礎に立ち返らなくなるから。今のこの難しいレベル、難しい技術の状態から、さらにうまくなるためには、より高度なすごく細かいところを積み重ねようとするんですよね。水泳で言ったらビート板をってバタ足だけするみたいな感じかもしれないですけど、自分が今まで習ってきた先生の言っていたことや、本当にちっちゃい頃に仙台で習ってきたことを一つ一つ思い返して、「この練習、こんな意味あったんだな」とかっていうのを考えながら、じゃあ今の自分にはこの練習をやったほうがいいなとか、逆にこの基礎はしっかりできてるから要らないかなと判断して。あの頃みたいに何時間も練習したら壊れるから、うまく効率よく、必要な基礎練をしっかり選んでやっています。

Hanyu: Yes, yes. How many minutes does it take to swim a weak meter in the breaststroke? That's the level. I probably don't have any muscles like that. So even if I trained them on track, I couldn't use the gained muscles on the ice. Now, I'm going back to the basics, what are the basics for Axel jumps, on the ice. Because when you get better, you start losing sight of the basics. From this difficult level, this difficult technique, to get better, you try to build up more and more advanced, very detailed things. In swimming, it may be like using a swimming board and doing only butterfly, but I have to think back what my teacher said and what I learned in Sendai when I was a little boy, and I have to think, "What was the meaning of this practice?" Then I decided that I should do this practice, or that I don't need this practice because I have already mastered the basics. If I practiced for hours like I did as a child, I would break down, so I try to be efficient and choose the basic exercises that I need.

池江私は今、スタートが出遅れるところが課題なんです。スタートから6m付近のタイムが国内のトップの選手と比べても0.4秒遅れているというのがあって。0.4秒って、さっきも世界記録と比較しましたが、体半分ぐらい離されるんです。病気前は頭1個分2個分、そんなに頑張らなくても平気で出ていたぐらいだったのに。

でも、スタートで体半分離れていても、タッチした時に自分が勝ってることがあるので、それによって、自分は誰より泳ぎが速いんだっていうことが分かる。でも、体重もまだ戻ってないので、体重を重くするためにも今までなくなった筋力を取り戻すという意味でも、筋力トレーニングをすごく多く入れています。上からダイブプして04秒離れるということは、体重によると思うんです。もし下からみんなでスタートしたら、自分はダントツトップで勝てるんだって思うと、やっぱり体重を増やさなきゃいけない。それと、水中動作、ドルフィンキックをもう少し極めなきゃいけないと考えています。トップの選手の横で練習する時は、水中でどれくらいしなやかな動きでどれくらいのテンポでドルフィンキックしているのかしっかり見て勉強しています。私は一番下から、どん底から這い上がっていく段階の人間なので、いろんな人を見て勉強しながら、これからもっと速くなっていくという感覚で、課題を持ってやっています。

池江そうですね。

羽生それが一番だなって僕は思うし。あとは、できたことができなくなるとか、昔は勝てた相手に勝てなくなるみたいなことって、すごくつらいことだろうと思うけど、それに対してもしっかり自分の中で割り切ってやってますもんね。

池江はい。

羽生心の底のどこかでは、引っかかっている部分はあるとは思うんです。僕からしたら、それを出せる空間とか場所とか時間がちょっとでもあればいいかなと思います。僕は泣きたい時、ひたすら泣くんで。

Ikee: My problem now is that I get off to a slow start. My time around 6m from the start is 0.4 seconds slower than the top athletes in Japan, and 0.4 seconds, as I mentioned earlier, is half a body length off the world record. Before I got sick, I used to be one or two head lengths behind, and I didn't have to work that hard to get there. But even if I'm half a body length away at the start, sometimes I'm ahead when I touch, so that shows me that I'm a faster swimmer than anyone else. But I haven't got my weight back yet, so I've been doing a lot of strength training, both to get heavier and to regain the strength I've lost. I think the fact that you can dive from the top and be away for 0,4 seconds depends on your weight. If you start from the bottom, you have to gain weight to be able to win. I also think that I need to improve my movement in the water, my dolphin kick. When I train next to the top athletes, I watch and learn how flexible they are in the water and how fast they kick the dolphin. I'm a person who has come up from the bottom, from the bottom of the pile, so I watch and learn from all kinds of people, and I do it with the feeling that I'm going to get faster.

Hanyu: Listening to you, I really understood what you want to do in the Olympics. You want to win, don't you?

Hanyu: I think that's the most important thing. Also, I think it must be very hard to not be able to do the things you used to be able to do, or to not be able to beat the people you used to be able to beat, but you've managed to deal with that in your own way, haven't you?

Hanyu: I'm sure that deep down inside of you, there is a part of you that is struggling. From my point of view, I think it would be good if there was a space or a place or a time where you could let it out. When I want to cry, I simply cry.

羽生出せないんですよ、結局。だって、みんなには分かってもらえるものではないと思うし。僕が持ってる気持ちや、自分が今までやってきたことって、誰の人生と比一較しても同じものは絶対ないじゃないですか。それは池江さんも一緒だと思うんですけど。もちろん価値観が似ている人や、何となく理解し合える仲間はいるかもしれないですけど、自分の気持ちは自分でしか発散できないし、自分にしか分からないことは一人でワーッて泣きます。

Ikee: You don't show it in front of everyone, so that's why you do it, isn't it?

Hanyu: In the end, I can't show it. I don't think that anyone can understand me. The feelings I have and the things I've done up until now are absolutely not the same as anyone else's life, no matter how you compare them. I think it's the same for you. Of course, there may be people who have similar values and friends who understand each other somehow, but I can only vent my feelings on my own, and I cry alone about things that only I can understand.

羽生選手は、外で買い物とかできるんですか」

羽生きちゃいますね。早いですね。これからもやることをしっかりやっていきます。自分がやりたいこととかやるべきことが今、正確に見えてるし。それがもちろん近道じゃなかったとしても、その道をたどって行く最中に本当の道が見えてくるかもしれないし、実際これが本当の道なのかもしれない。それは誰にも分からないことなので。ただひたすら、今やるべきことをやっていきます。

もし僕がこの夏のオリンピックに出る選手だったとしてもそれは同じですね。世の中の状況に関係なく、自分のやるべきことを淡々と……、淡々ととはいかないかもしれないですけど。たまには無茶しなきゃいけない時もあるんですけど。自分が目標として掲げている、金メダルだったり、メダルだったり、世界記録だったり、そういったものを目指して練習するしかない。世の一中は刻一刻と変わっていって、それによって自分の人生や自分の考えがすごく左右されるとは思うんです。自分自身もこの先も試合がなくなったり、練習ができなくなることがあるかもしれないけど、頑張ること、目指しているものは基本的には変わりないので。そのために何ができるかを毎日考えながら頑張るのが、一番やるべきことじゃないかなと思います。

池江私、聞きたいことがあったんです。

たぶん羽生選手は、他のアスリートとは違うレベルで世の中に名が知られていると思うんですけど、外とか歩いてるのかなっていうシンプルな疑問で。外で買い物とかできますか。

池江私はメチャメチャ歩きますね。

って言われるんです。

池江確かに。

Q: So, Hanyu, after the Tokyo Olympics, the next Winter Olympic season will come.

Hanyu: Yes, it's coming. It's too soon. I'll continue to do what I have to do. I know exactly what I want to do and what I need to do. Even if it's not a shortcut, I might be able to see the real path while I'm following it. No one knows for sure. I'm just going to do what I have to do now. If I were an athlete in the Olympics this summer, it would be the same. Regardless of what's going on in the world, I'm going to do what I have to do without hesitation. Sometimes I have to be reckless. You have to train for what you have set as your goal, be it a gold medal, a medal, a world record or something like that. The world is changing all the time and it affects my life and my thoughts a lot. There may be times in the future when I won't be able to compete or practice, but what I'm trying to do, what I'm aiming for, is basically the same. I think the best thing we can do is to work hard and think about what we can do to achieve this every day.

Ikee: I wanted to ask you something. I think Hanyu is famous in the world at a different level from other athletes, and I have a simple question: Do you walk around outside? Do you go shopping outside?

Hanyu: Really? People around me often say, "Even if you wear a hat or a mask, people will know." That's what they say to me.

羽生みんなたぶん分かってると思いますよ。

池江分かるんですかね(笑)。

池江そうなんですね。私はアウトドア派だから外に出られないのはきついです。私、先日すごく学ぶことがあったんです。自分のSNSに届いたメッセージについて意見をした時のことなんですが。その発信をした理由にはいろいろあって。オリンピックに対しての意見がものすごくて。もちろん今は仕方ないんですけど。あの時、身近な人に相談をしたら、応援してくれている人のほうが全然多いんだよって言ってもらって、すごく気が楽になったんです。余」計なことをしちゃったなって逆に反省しました。応援してくれている人たちのために頑張ればいいのに、なんであんなに悩んで発信したんだろうって。オリンピックに対してあまりいい意見を持ってない人たちもいる中で、自分はどうしていくべきかと考えるよりかは、自分は自分のままでいるべきっていうことに気づいた機会でもありまJた。

羽生僕らは、たくさんの方から応援してもらえて、それによって多くの力をもらえている。自分が何かした時に、嬉しいと思っていただける。それがあるだけで、自分たちはたぶん存在している意味があると思います。お互い頑張っていきましょう。

池江はい!

Ikee: I don't know. I have broad shoulders and I'm tall, so I'm a bit different from other girls. Even in a mask and a hat.

Hanyu: I don't really have the habit of going out. I don't like shopping either, and I like playing games at home best.

Ikee: Is that so? I'm an outdoorsy person, so not being able to go outside is tough for me. I learned something the other day. I was giving my opinion on a message I received on my social media. There are many reasons why I did that. There were so many opinions about the Olympics. Of course, I can't help it now. I talked to someone close to me at the time and they told me that there were many more people who supported me, which made me feel a lot better. I felt sorry for what I had done. I should have done my best for the people who were supporting me, but I don't know why I was so worried about sending out such a message. There are people who don't have a good opinion about the Olympics, so instead of thinking about what I should do, I realized that I should just be myself.

Hanyu: We have a lot of people supporting us, and that gives us a lot of strength. When we do something, people feel happy. I think that's probably the only reason why we exist. Let's do our best for each other.

Thanks for sharing! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

Is this the full interview?

Hanyu is like hikikomori. :peekapooh: 

6 hours ago, birnasan said:

Here is my automatic translation of the Number interview with OCR and deepl, slightly inspired by the previous translation parts by orangesrgd and SuzyQ. My OCR didn't have its best day, there are a few errors (especially with numbers) that I couldn't correct. Again, I don't speak Japanese and this is not a proper translation.

Reveal hidden contents

スペシャル対談「ただ、勝利のために

池江そうですね。

Hanyu: I didn't feel anxious the moment I got there. My mind was made up before I went there. At that time, I had four quadruple jumps, but I could only do two of them in practice and hesitated if I could add the third one. In the practice, I couldn't jump the third one at all. It was a Loop, where I had to jump and land with my sprained right leg, so I was afraid of it, because it was hurting the injured part of my leg. Also, I couldn't do it, because I had lost so much muscle. But before I went to PyeongChang Olympics, I told myself, "If I land this, I'll win!" I thought, "If I don't land this, I won't win, and if I don't win, I don't deserve to go to the Olympics. And then, in the last five minutes of the last practice, I did 4Lo. At that point, I thought I had already won, so I wasn't worried at all. In the end, I didn't do the loop in the Olympics, though.

最近一番悔しかったことと、それを思い出す時。

池江本当にそう思いますね。

Hanyu: It's very frustrating when you can't do something that other players can do, isn't it? 

今の課題と、そのために努力していること。

ね。池江メチャメチャありますね。

池江私は、171.9とか、2弱。

池江まあ、実際はそうなんですけどね()。

で、やった結果、跳べなくなりました。池江重くて?

池江そのたびに立って止まるみたいな

池江そうですね。

池江はい。

羽生選手は、外で買い物とかできるんですか」

池江私、聞きたいことがあったんです。

池江私はメチャメチャ歩きますね。

って言われるんです。

池江確かに。

羽生みんなたぶん分かってると思いますよ。

池江分かるんですかね(笑)。

池江はい!

Thank you for this translation.:67638860:
A really interesting conversation between two great and inspiring athletes. ❤

Hanyu: We have a lot of people supporting us, and that gives us a lot of strength. When we do something, people feel happy ...

:10636614:

4 hours ago, Melodie said:

It keeps coming 😂😂😂😂😂

😅

I wonder if Yuzu reads the blogs too.🤗

Wow, after a drought period we're getting so much Yuzu content everyday I'm absolutely overwhelmed :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

This is indeed the first time I've heard Yuzu voicing his feelings about his representative status of the Tohoku disaster so strongly. He did say before he didn't like the burden thrusted upon him, but for some reason this time it sounded more firm. Probably because he was talking to someone who shared the same sentiment. I'm glad he still took upon that role graciously, even if it added extra pressures from such a young age. 

@Henni147 I've seen the news about the situation earlier. I hope the rain would stop soon, and everyone would be safe. 

@LadyLou Not Today would be a great rinkside banger before comp. For actual programs I think Black Swan is a great candidate since it has classical elements, and explores a great theme about passion.