General Yuzuru Chat

19 minutes ago, hananistellata said:

Considering recent events in the world (i.e. the literal ocean that catches fire more than once in different parts of the world), it's really nice to see things like this more often. :tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp: If only everyone in the world could adopt even the smallest of eco-friendly habits, then maybe things could have been a lot better for Earth right now ... 

Hide content

Although we have to admit that even if everyone on Earth adopted an eco-friendly lifestyle right now, huge corporations would continue to screw up the environment as they always have ...  

OK, I put "love" for the future of our earth and the gestures for the environment and I have been doing it for a long time (but it is only a tiny drop of water) and must think about the future and children and not that they live in pollution  :judgmental:and I agree that the big corporations will continue to plunder our land  :thumbsdown:and I think it's all about the money !!!! 

On 7/5/2021 at 9:46 AM, Lemon said:

Do you remember the source, I would like to read the full interview:dancingpooh:

Unfortunately I don't remember which interview it was. I recall him talking about the height required for 4A and that he could not obtain that height just by going into the jump at a faster speed because he might hit his head if he fell.

If I find it, I will post it.

On 7/4/2021 at 6:08 AM, sweetwater said:

I came here to post something else, but here is a gist of how things happened from Brian's point of view based on チーム・ブライアン 新たな旅(Team Brian/New Journey) released in 2018 and an interview aired shortly after CoC:

After the collision, Brian wanted to run to Yuzu and see if he was OK, but he couldn't because there is a rule that bars any coach or staff from getting on the ice during 6-minutes warmups. The organizer didn't interrupt the warmup or send medical staff immediately, so Brian yelled, "He needs medical staff!" "Call the medical staff! Get him a doctor!" again and again. 

After several minutes, the Chinese medical staff finally got on the ice, but to Brian's surprise, they tried to get Yuzu up as soon as they got there. Brian was upset because it is dangerous to move someone when they fell on the ice and hit their head. What they should have done was to ask Yuzu if he was OK first, then see if he could get up by himself and check if he was really OK. So Brian asked the U.S. team for help, and their team doctor came and checked Yuzu's condition.

She examined him mainly by an interview and diagnosed that Yuzu was not going through a concussion and that among all the injuries, the left thigh injury was the most severe. However, the doctor didn't make any suggestion as to whether Yuzu should compete or withdraw, because such a decision should be left up to the skater and their coaching team.

Withdrawal meant no GPF, but Brian thought Yuzu's physical and mental condition was more important. Brian told Yuzu not to strain himself, that there was no need to worry over withdrawal because it was not a big deal, that there was no need to be a hero there. However, Yuzu was determined to compete no matter what. Yuzu's mother was also upset and worried about him, so Yuzu went to talk to her after receiving first-aid treatment.

(I am not sure if there is footage on YouTube, TV Asahi camera also captured Brian trying to persuade Yuzu to reconsider, to prioritize his health, saying, "Only you know (your real condition.) You don't have to be a hero. Your health comes first" during resumed warmup)

By skating through the FS with numerous falls, Yuzu finished 2nd and qualified to GPF. However, Brian could not be relieved until Yuzu went back to Japan to get a thorough check-up and told him that there was no brain damage and that the other injuries would not affect his career as a skater.

Later, ISU discussed how they should respond to such accidents, and Brian suggested that ISU should not leave the decision to continue or withdraw up to the skater or the coaching team. In Yuzu's case, the decision had not been made when he got back on the ice to resume warmup. Before resuming the warmup, Brian told them that Yuzu was not necessarily going to compete even though he took part in the warmup and that Yuzu and his team would make the decision after seeing if it would really be OK. However, once Yuzu came back on the ice, the audience cheered for him loudly and passionately. Brian thought Yuzu would not be able to say, "Actually, I withdraw because my body hurts" after receiving such support. That is why Brian suggested that the ISU should not leave the decision up to the skater and their team. He thought it was difficult for skater and their team to make such a decision after such an accident.

Yuzu's take on this accident and what he went through afterward can be read in Aoi Honoo II. His description regarding the decision here doesn't contradict Brian's so much. According to Yuzu, the doctor also said that he could skate because he didn't have a concussion, but she would not recommend it.

Aoi Honoo II has an English translation by a fan.

https://tsukihoshi14.tumblr.com/post/171947689783/aoi-hono-ii-english-translations

Because of the pandemic, it may be hard to order a book from Japan now, but I hope you read his autobiographies when you have a chance if you haven't read them already, not because you can consult it when you do some fact-check, but because it truly is a good read.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

Thanks for this, although now that I've read it, I have even more sympathy for Brian. He must have been absolutely beside himself trying to get the medical staff to move at first, and trying to get the appropriate care for Yuzu once he was off the ice.

And I totally understand his surprise at how they tried to get Yuzu up. Every first aid course I've ever taken tells you that the very first thing you do in a situation like that is tell the injured person "Don't Move", then examine them for concussion and possible spinal injury. THEN, and only then, do you attempt to either put them on a spinal board (if they need to be immobilized) or get them onto a suitable conveyance to bring them to safety so that you can examine them further. 

I wish 'Team Brian' was available in English, and in Canada (it's not). All this happened and I had no idea because it's never been published here. 

24 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Thanks for this, although now that I've read it, I have even more sympathy for Brian. He must have been absolutely beside himself trying to get the medical staff to move at first, and trying to get the appropriate care for Yuzu once he was off the ice.

And I totally understand his surprise at how they tried to get Yuzu up. Every first aid course I've ever taken tells you that the very first thing you do in a situation like that is tell the injured person "Don't Move", then examine them for concussion and possible spinal injury. THEN, and only then, do you attempt to either put them on a spinal board (if they need to be immobilized) or get them onto a suitable conveyance to bring them to safety so that you can examine them further. 

I wish 'Team Brian' was available in English, and in Canada (it's not). All this happened and I had no idea because it's never been published here. 

Figure skating is horrific in its management, or lack thereof, of head and neck trauma. Yuzuru probably didn't need C-spine immobilization (if he was actually at a normal level of consciousness the entire time) after his 2014 accident under current US guidelines. And as the doctor that saw him was American, I'll use our guidelines to think about his case. But those were updated in 2019. If I remember correctly, we used to be far more broad in who needed imaging to clear the C-spine after blunt trauma back in 2014. But I'm not an ER doc or trauma surgeon, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. The last time I was at a non-pregnant trauma case was almost ten years ago and I was just a student then.

Ashley Cain-Gribble, on the other hand, 100% needed to be immobilized and imaged after her accident at Golden Spin. Altered level of consciousness and a fall directly on her head from a height of more than a meter? Yeah... no matter which set of criteria you look at, not immobilizing and imaging her, and allowing her and Tim to complete their program was a terrible idea. And her accident was four years after Yuzu's. It is utterly inexcusable that the ISU had not come up with better protocols by then.

2 hours ago, river said:

Intention? My one functioning brain cell couldn't help but scream. I had no choice in the matter.

I'm normally a fairly reserved, level-headed person, I swear.

<3<3<3 

6 minutes ago, yuzu-san-fanyu said:

If I ever get the chance to see him live I'm sure I'll become the same way :happy:

I confess I sometimes scream (little squeaks mainly, not proper screaming all the time) while watching videos :rolleyes: