General Yuzuru Chat

5 hours ago, birnasan said:

I haven't found a translation of the latest Ice Jewels yet, so I tried my best to make an automatic translation with OCR text recognition and deepl translation. 

I don't speak Japanese, so this is not a proper translation, but maybe it is better than nothing. I still hope we will get a proper translation by some kind fans. 

ICE JEWELS Vol. 14 (June 2021) - automatic translation

羽生結弦の未来図

が型コロナ禍にあって多くの試合やアイスショーが休止となった2020-21シーズン。この困難た時期にあっても、羽生結弦は3つの実戦とアイスショーに出演し、常にフィギュアスケート界をけん引してきた先駆者としての輝きを示してくれた。

試合で披露した今季のプログラムについて振り返るとともに、13歳のころから出演してきたというアイスショーへのこだわり、そして、誰もが待ち焦がれている4回転アクセルの完成に向けた取り組みについて、自らの思いを語ってもらった。

The Future of Yuzuru Hanyu

In the 2020-21 season, many competitions and ice shows have been cancelled due to the Corona disaster. Even during this difficult time, Yuzuru Hanyu appeared in three competitions and an ice show, showing his brilliance as a pioneer who has always led the figure skating world.

We asked him to talk about this season's program, which he performed at the competitions, as well as his commitment to ice shows, which he has been performing since he was 13, and his efforts to perfect the quadruple Axel, which everyone has been waiting for.

今季プログラムを

振り返って

ーシーズンの2試合目が世界選手権, そして国別対抗戦がありました。現時点で振り返って、今シーズン3回滑ったショートプログラム、フリースケーティングの両プログラムについて総括をお願いします。

羽生ショートはどの試合でもかなり緊張していたように思います。曲に支えてもらったところもありましたし、曲につられて浮き足立ってしまっていたところもありましたが「学び」が多かったように思います。バランスが崩れることがありましたが、3回とも大きなジャンプの失敗もなく終えられたので、(滑り終えるたびに)毎回ほっとしていました。あとはやはり、このような雰囲気の曲は最後のジャンプを終えてからがすごく楽しいです。見ている方々も緊張が解けて一緒に楽しんでくださっているのが伝わってきて,このブログラムにして本当によかったと感じながら滑れていました。

フリーは全日本がよかっただけに、「もっともっと」という欲はかなりあります。

ただ実際にノーミスを練習の段階からかなりの確率でできていましたし、この曲の雰囲気や力が、自分の呼吸やスケートに合っているからこそ、世界選手権でも大崩れせずに最後まで滑り切れたように思っています。

国別でも4S(4回転サルコウ)が抜けてしまってびっくりはしましたが、すぐにプログラムが(僕を)いい集中状態に持っていってくれたように感じました。

4A(4回転アクセル)をはやく入れたいと思って、世界選手権前は頑張っていたのですが、そんなに甘いものではないので、しっかりと段階を踏みながら来シーズンは入れたいです。

This season's programme

Looking back

- Your second competition of the season was the World Championships and then the World Team Trophy. Looking back at the moment, how would you sum up your short program and freeskating program, which you skated three times this season?

- Hanyu: In the short program, I think I was quite nervous in every competition. I was supported by the music, and I was carried away by the music, and I think I learned a lot. There were times when I lost my balance. I was relieved every time (after every skate) because I finished all three routines without any big mistakes. Also, it's really fun after the last jump in this kind of music. I could feel that people were enjoying it with me, so I was really happy to have this program.

As for the free skate, after the good performance in Japan, I wanted to do better. I was actually able to make no mistakes from the beginning of the practice, and the atmosphere and the power of this piece was really good, because the mood and power of this music suits my breathing and skating. I think that's why I was able to skate to the end at Worlds, without collapsing.

At WTT, I was surprised that I lost 4S, but I felt that the program brought me to a good state of concentration right away.

I was working hard before the Worlds to get the 4A in as soon as possible. But it's not so easy, so I want to do it next season, step by step.

4回転アクセルへの

手応え

国別対抗戦の練習で、4A を練習されていました。2019年のGP ファイナルでの練習のときよりもかなり進化した4回転半に見えました。ここまでの過程で何度も壁にあたって、練習の工夫などで乗り越えてこられたと思います。その過程を詳しく教えてださい。

羽生本来はもっといいものができているので、自分としては悔しいです。

全日本までもかなり練習はしてきたのですが、両足を痛めてしまったり、回転が思うように回っていかなかったり、他のジャンプやプログラムにもかなり支障が出たりもしました。

全日本では1ヵ月前ぐらいには4Aを諦めて、プログラムたちを完成させることを優先しました。全日本が終わり、世界選手権までの間は4Aを跳ぶんだという強い意志を持って練習をしていました。2月の頭ぐらいまではプログラムの練習も並行していたのですが、このままでは4Aにたどりつかないと思い、それから試合の1週間前ぐらいまでは4Aだけの練習に集中していました。結局跳べなかったのですが、いままでで一番、4回転半に近づいたと思います。

未知のことへの挑戦では、できる?できない? の自問自答の繰り返しかと思いますが、いまでは、かなり手応えを持っていらっしゃいますよね?

羽生できるという風に思っているのかと言われると、不思議な気持ちになりますが、跳ぶために練習をしています。はやく跳びたい気持ちはやまやまですが、まずは足や腰のダメージをケアしてから、無駄なケガをしないように練習していきたいです。

4Aの練習を公開されて応援の声が多かったと思いますが、どのように受け止めていますか?

羽生もちろんうれしいです。本当はあ

の場で成功させたかったというのが本心ですが、試合での体への負担は思っていた以上にあって……、悔しいです。心配していただいている声もたくさんあると思います。あの練習での膝のケガもありましたし、ケガのリスクはかなりありますが、2019 年のGPファイナルの頃のような恐怖心はありません。がむしゃらに、ではなく、考えながらできています。

Response to the quadruple axel

- You were practicing a quadruple axel at WTT practice. It looked much more advanced than the one you practiced for the GP Final in 2019. I think you've faced many obstacles in the process of getting to this point, and you've overcome them by practicing in a creative way. Could you tell us more about that process?

- Hanyu: It's frustrating for me, because normally I could have done something better. I had been practicing a lot before Japan Nationals, but I hurt both of my feet, and my rotations didn't go as well as I wanted, and it also affected my other jumps and performance. About a month before Nationals, I gave up 4A, and prioritized to complete my programs. After Nationals and until the World Championships, I practiced with a strong will to jump 4A, and until the beginning of February, I practiced my program at the same time, but I knew that I would not be able to reach 4A, so I concentrated on 4A only until about a week before the competition. In the end I couldn't jump it, but I think I was the closest I've ever been to a quadruple and a half.

- In the challenge of the unknown, can you do it? Can't you do it? But now, you have a good feeling about it, don't you?

- Hanyu: If you ask me if I think I can do it, I feel strange, but I'm practicing to jump. I want to jump as soon as possible, but first of all, I want to take care of the damage on my legs and hips, and then practice to avoid unnecessary injuries.

- How do you feel about the support you received from the public when you showed your 4A practice?

- Hanyu: Of course I'm happy. I really wanted to succeed there, but the burden on my body in the competition was more than I expected, and I'm disappointed with ....... I know there are many people who are concerned about me. I had a knee injury during that practice, and there is a lot of risk of injury, but I don't have the same fear as I did during the GP Finals in 2019. I am able to do this while thinking, not recklessly.

アイスショーで見せる

「羽生結弦」らしさ

(新型コロナ禍で去年はショーが開催されなかった)2年ぶりのアイスショーへのご出演でよみがえった感覚や、改めて感じたことを教えてください。

羽生とてもとても楽しかったです。世の中がこのような状況にあるなかで、僕がショーとして滑っていいのかと、直前まで悩んでいました。試合とは違い、競技ではないので。ただ、国別でも、世界選手権でも感じましたが、僕が滑ることによって、「気持ちだけではなく、直接的に支援できることもあるんだ」ということに気がつけたのが、僕にとってはすごく大きくて、それがきっかけで滑らせていただくことを決断しました。今後どのようにアイスショーができるようになっていくのかわからないなかで、特別に滑らせていただいているのだということを強く感じました。感染対策に完壁という言葉はないのかもしれませんが、その(ショーという)特別な時間を全力でまっとうする意識を、いつも以上に大切に滑らせていただきました。

アイスショーではオープニングを自ら振付けされたと聞きました。いままでも、ご自身のプログラムには振付に参加されていましたが、テーマなどをどのようにきめて、振付の準備をされていくのでしょうか?

羽生考えてみれば振付らしい振りをっけたのはFantasy on Ice (2018年)でのCHEMISTRYさんの『PIECES OF A DREAM』でした。ジェフ(オープニングの振付を担当したジェフリー·バトル)に「ここのパートを滑ってほしい、ノプ(織田信成氏)も途中から滑るから、そこもよろしく」って言われたのが始まりでした。それまでも自分のパートが存在していて、音に合わせていろいろ考えてはいたのですが、ノブくんも滑るとなると、完全に振り(振付)にしなくてはいけないなと思い、眠れない日がありました(笑)。

音楽をダウンロードして一晩中考えて、歌詞の意味とか、リズムの取り方や強弱, CHEMISTRY さんならではのおふたりのハモリをどのように表現していけばいいのかとか、いろんなことを考えました。そこからどんなエキシビションでも、オープニングもフィナーレも、自分だけのパートではない部分も録音して、練習したり振りをしっかり考えたりするようにしています。

Ice Show

The "Yuzuru Hanyu" style

- Please tell us what you felt when you performed in the ice show for the first time in two years (the show was not held last year due to the Corona disaster).

- Hanyu: It was very, very fun. Until just before the show, I was wondering if it was okay for me to skate in a show while the world is in such a situation. It's different from competitions, because it's not a competition. However, as I felt at the World Team Trophy and the World Championships, I realized that there are things I can do to support people directly, more than just emotionally, and that was very important for me. I felt very strongly that I was being given a special opportunity to skate, even though I didn't know whether or not I would be able to do an ice show in the future. There may be no such thing as a perfect barrier against infection, but I was more conscious than usual to do my best during that special time (the show).

- I heard that you choreographed the opening of the ice show yourself. You have participated in choreographing your own programs before, but how do you decide on the theme and prepare for the choreography?

- Hanyu: When I think about it, the first choreography I've done was CHEMISTRY's "Pieces of a Dream" for Fantasy on Ice (2018). Jeff (Jeffrey Buttle, who choreographed the opening) told me, "I want you to skate this part, and Nobunari Oda will be skating in the middle, so please take care of that too." Up until then, I just did my own part, thinking of various ways to match the music, but when Nobu was going to skate, I thought I would have to do a complete choreography, and there were days when I couldn't sleep (laughs).

I downloaded the music and thought about it all night long, thinking about the meaning of the lyrics, the rhythm, the strength and weakness, how to express the harmonies that only CHEMISTRY can provide, and many other things. From then on, I recorded the opening and finale of all exhibitions, even the parts that were not mine, so that I could learn and think about the choreography.

今回は初日から最後までだいぶ変化したのですが、初日は当日に現地入りして、オープニングとふたつのフィナーレを15分ぐらい口頭で説明していただいて、その後1時間半ぐらいの全体練習でみんなの動きを見ながら自分の立ち位置を確認して覚えて、その作業をしながら音をiPod で流して、自分のパートの振りを考えていました。その1時間後には本番だったので、自分の少ないレパートリーからなんとか振付を絞りだしました。それから毎晩、何度も聞き直して、振りを練り直したり、音のハマり具合を確かめたり、もっと体になじませたり、腕の位置や体の使い方などを練習していました。

振付の段階では、とにかく音と歌詞、リズムを大切にしています。今回は英語の曲だったので、見ている方々にはパッと意味が入りにくかったりすると思ったので、

音とリズムを重視して考えました。あとはもともと北米のショーだったので、姿勢を意識的によくしたり、スケートの軽さを変えたりしていました。でも一番考えたのは、「どんな振付が羽生結弦らしいか」「どんな振付に羽生結弦の良さが出ているのか」でした。好きな動きとか、派手な技をやるだけではなく、はたから見たときに「羽生結弦」の良さが出ているかどうかを考えていました。自分ではなく他の方がやってもいい振りではなく、自分ならではというのを大切にしています。

On the first day, I arrived at the venue on the day of the performance and was given a 15-minute verbal explanation of the opening and the two finales. While I was doing this, I played the sound on my iPod and thought about the choreography for my part. An hour later, the performance was to begin, so I managed to squeeze out a choreography from my limited repertoire. After that, I practiced every night, replaying the choreography over and over again, making sure the sound fit, getting more comfortable with my body, practicing the position of my arms and how to use my body.

In the choreography process, I just focus on the sound, lyrics, and rhythm. This time, the song was in English, so I thought it would be difficult for the audience to grasp the meaning.

So I focused on the sound and rhythm. Also, since it was originally a North American show, I had to consciously improve my posture and change the lightness of my skating. But the most important thing I thought about was "what kind of choreography is Yuzuru Hanyu's own style", "what kind of choreography shows Yuzuru Hanyu's quality". I was thinking not only about my favorite moves or flashy techniques, but also about whether or not the choreography showed the best of Yuzuru Hanyu when viewed from the outside. It's not about pretending that someone else can do the same thing, but about making sure it's unique to me.

ーアイスショーでは、一緒に滑った後輩たちから、とても勉強になったとの声がきかれました。羽生選手ご自身が先輩スケーターから学んだことはどんなことがありますか? また、いまも生かされていることはありますか?

羽生僕なんかで勉強になっていいのかわかりませんけれど……。でも、そういう風に思っていただけていたらうれしいです。僕の最初のアイスショーは、13歳のときのMedalist On Ice だと思います。ショートで「SingSingSing」を使っていたのですが、大好きな曲なので、違ったバージョンでエキシビションも(振付を)作ってもらいました。緊張して、でも見てもらえることのうれしさで一生懸命頑張ったと思います。空回りもしてしまいましたが(笑)。いちばん勉強になるのはFantasy onIce です。特にジェフやステファン( · ランビエル)、ジョニー(·ウィア)の練習やプログラムに対する姿勢、本番時の集中の仕方がすごいなと思っています。いまでもグループナンバーなどで振りをもらうとき、みんなで同じ振りをするので、どうやったらきれいになるのか、どうしたらよく見えるのかを、ジェフたちを見ながら勉強しています。

- At the ice show, the younger skaters who skated with you said that they learned a lot from you. What did you yourself learn from your senior skaters? What did you learn from the older skaters, and what do you still learn from them?

- Hanyu: I don't know if I'm good enough to learn from them. ...... I don't know if I can learn anything from them, but I'm glad if you think so. I think my first ice show was Medalist On Ice, when I was 13 years old. I used " Sing Sing Sing" in the short program, and I loved the song so much that I asked them to make a different version of it for the exhibition. I was nervous, but I think I did try my best because I was so happy to be seen. I learned the most from Fantasy on Ice. I'm especially impressed with Jeff, Stephane (Lambiel), and Johnny (Weir)'s attitude toward practice and the performance, and the way they concentrate during the performance. Even now, when I get a choreography for a group number, everyone does the same choreography, so I'm learning how to make it more beautiful and how to make it look better by watching Jeff and the others.

- 最後に読者の皆さまへ、来シーズンに向けた抱負をお願いします。

羽生今シーズンも応援していただき、本当にありがとうございました。僕自身もいつもとは違う悩みや、葛藤もありましたが、いま、試合であってもアイスショーであっても、フィギュアスケートができていることが幸せです。これからも一生懸命滑ら

せていただきます。

そして、来シーズンこそ、4Aを決められるよう、全力で頑張っていきます!

- Finally, to our readers, what are your ambitions for the coming season?

- Hanyu: Thank you very much for your support this season. I had different worries and conflicts, but now I'm happy to be figure skating, whether it's in competitions or ice shows. I will continue to skate as hard as I can.

And next season, I'll try my best to make 4A!

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

Thank you so much for this translation!!

All the best for the new season, Yuzu! Stay healthy and happy! May your goals and wishes for the new season be achieved and fulfilled. :cheer:

And thank you, Yuzu, for giving us one more season with you! Thank you for giving us one more season filled with joy, excitement and beauty! :loveshower:

10 hours ago, birnasan said:

I haven't found a translation of the latest Ice Jewels yet, so I tried my best to make an automatic translation with OCR text recognition and deepl translation. 

I don't speak Japanese, so this is not a proper translation, but maybe it is better than nothing. I still hope we will get a proper translation by some kind fans. 

ICE JEWELS Vol. 14 (June 2021) - automatic translation

羽生結弦の未来図

が型コロナ禍にあって多くの試合やアイスショーが休止となった2020-21シーズン。この困難た時期にあっても、羽生結弦は3つの実戦とアイスショーに出演し、常にフィギュアスケート界をけん引してきた先駆者としての輝きを示してくれた。

試合で披露した今季のプログラムについて振り返るとともに、13歳のころから出演してきたというアイスショーへのこだわり、そして、誰もが待ち焦がれている4回転アクセルの完成に向けた取り組みについて、自らの思いを語ってもらった。

The Future of Yuzuru Hanyu

In the 2020-21 season, many competitions and ice shows have been cancelled due to the Corona disaster. Even during this difficult time, Yuzuru Hanyu appeared in three competitions and an ice show, showing his brilliance as a pioneer who has always led the figure skating world.

We asked him to talk about this season's program, which he performed at the competitions, as well as his commitment to ice shows, which he has been performing since he was 13, and his efforts to perfect the quadruple Axel, which everyone has been waiting for.

今季プログラムを

振り返って

ーシーズンの2試合目が世界選手権, そして国別対抗戦がありました。現時点で振り返って、今シーズン3回滑ったショートプログラム、フリースケーティングの両プログラムについて総括をお願いします。

羽生ショートはどの試合でもかなり緊張していたように思います。曲に支えてもらったところもありましたし、曲につられて浮き足立ってしまっていたところもありましたが「学び」が多かったように思います。バランスが崩れることがありましたが、3回とも大きなジャンプの失敗もなく終えられたので、(滑り終えるたびに)毎回ほっとしていました。あとはやはり、このような雰囲気の曲は最後のジャンプを終えてからがすごく楽しいです。見ている方々も緊張が解けて一緒に楽しんでくださっているのが伝わってきて,このブログラムにして本当によかったと感じながら滑れていました。

フリーは全日本がよかっただけに、「もっともっと」という欲はかなりあります。

ただ実際にノーミスを練習の段階からかなりの確率でできていましたし、この曲の雰囲気や力が、自分の呼吸やスケートに合っているからこそ、世界選手権でも大崩れせずに最後まで滑り切れたように思っています。

国別でも4S(4回転サルコウ)が抜けてしまってびっくりはしましたが、すぐにプログラムが(僕を)いい集中状態に持っていってくれたように感じました。

4A(4回転アクセル)をはやく入れたいと思って、世界選手権前は頑張っていたのですが、そんなに甘いものではないので、しっかりと段階を踏みながら来シーズンは入れたいです。

This season's programme

Looking back

- Your second competition of the season was the World Championships and then the World Team Trophy. Looking back at the moment, how would you sum up your short program and freeskating program, which you skated three times this season?

- Hanyu: In the short program, I think I was quite nervous in every competition. I was supported by the music, and I was carried away by the music, and I think I learned a lot. There were times when I lost my balance. I was relieved every time (after every skate) because I finished all three routines without any big mistakes. Also, it's really fun after the last jump in this kind of music. I could feel that people were enjoying it with me, so I was really happy to have this program.

As for the free skate, after the good performance in Japan, I wanted to do better. I was actually able to make no mistakes from the beginning of the practice, and the atmosphere and the power of this piece was really good, because the mood and power of this music suits my breathing and skating. I think that's why I was able to skate to the end at Worlds, without collapsing.

At WTT, I was surprised that I lost 4S, but I felt that the program brought me to a good state of concentration right away.

I was working hard before the Worlds to get the 4A in as soon as possible. But it's not so easy, so I want to do it next season, step by step.

4回転アクセルへの

手応え

国別対抗戦の練習で、4A を練習されていました。2019年のGP ファイナルでの練習のときよりもかなり進化した4回転半に見えました。ここまでの過程で何度も壁にあたって、練習の工夫などで乗り越えてこられたと思います。その過程を詳しく教えてださい。

羽生本来はもっといいものができているので、自分としては悔しいです。

全日本までもかなり練習はしてきたのですが、両足を痛めてしまったり、回転が思うように回っていかなかったり、他のジャンプやプログラムにもかなり支障が出たりもしました。

全日本では1ヵ月前ぐらいには4Aを諦めて、プログラムたちを完成させることを優先しました。全日本が終わり、世界選手権までの間は4Aを跳ぶんだという強い意志を持って練習をしていました。2月の頭ぐらいまではプログラムの練習も並行していたのですが、このままでは4Aにたどりつかないと思い、それから試合の1週間前ぐらいまでは4Aだけの練習に集中していました。結局跳べなかったのですが、いままでで一番、4回転半に近づいたと思います。

未知のことへの挑戦では、できる?できない? の自問自答の繰り返しかと思いますが、いまでは、かなり手応えを持っていらっしゃいますよね?

羽生できるという風に思っているのかと言われると、不思議な気持ちになりますが、跳ぶために練習をしています。はやく跳びたい気持ちはやまやまですが、まずは足や腰のダメージをケアしてから、無駄なケガをしないように練習していきたいです。

4Aの練習を公開されて応援の声が多かったと思いますが、どのように受け止めていますか?

羽生もちろんうれしいです。本当はあ

の場で成功させたかったというのが本心ですが、試合での体への負担は思っていた以上にあって……、悔しいです。心配していただいている声もたくさんあると思います。あの練習での膝のケガもありましたし、ケガのリスクはかなりありますが、2019 年のGPファイナルの頃のような恐怖心はありません。がむしゃらに、ではなく、考えながらできています。

Response to the quadruple axel

- You were practicing a quadruple axel at WTT practice. It looked much more advanced than the one you practiced for the GP Final in 2019. I think you've faced many obstacles in the process of getting to this point, and you've overcome them by practicing in a creative way. Could you tell us more about that process?

- Hanyu: It's frustrating for me, because normally I could have done something better. I had been practicing a lot before Japan Nationals, but I hurt both of my feet, and my rotations didn't go as well as I wanted, and it also affected my other jumps and performance. About a month before Nationals, I gave up 4A, and prioritized to complete my programs. After Nationals and until the World Championships, I practiced with a strong will to jump 4A, and until the beginning of February, I practiced my program at the same time, but I knew that I would not be able to reach 4A, so I concentrated on 4A only until about a week before the competition. In the end I couldn't jump it, but I think I was the closest I've ever been to a quadruple and a half.

- In the challenge of the unknown, can you do it? Can't you do it? But now, you have a good feeling about it, don't you?

- Hanyu: If you ask me if I think I can do it, I feel strange, but I'm practicing to jump. I want to jump as soon as possible, but first of all, I want to take care of the damage on my legs and hips, and then practice to avoid unnecessary injuries.

- How do you feel about the support you received from the public when you showed your 4A practice?

- Hanyu: Of course I'm happy. I really wanted to succeed there, but the burden on my body in the competition was more than I expected, and I'm disappointed with ....... I know there are many people who are concerned about me. I had a knee injury during that practice, and there is a lot of risk of injury, but I don't have the same fear as I did during the GP Finals in 2019. I am able to do this while thinking, not recklessly.

アイスショーで見せる

「羽生結弦」らしさ

(新型コロナ禍で去年はショーが開催されなかった)2年ぶりのアイスショーへのご出演でよみがえった感覚や、改めて感じたことを教えてください。

羽生とてもとても楽しかったです。世の中がこのような状況にあるなかで、僕がショーとして滑っていいのかと、直前まで悩んでいました。試合とは違い、競技ではないので。ただ、国別でも、世界選手権でも感じましたが、僕が滑ることによって、「気持ちだけではなく、直接的に支援できることもあるんだ」ということに気がつけたのが、僕にとってはすごく大きくて、それがきっかけで滑らせていただくことを決断しました。今後どのようにアイスショーができるようになっていくのかわからないなかで、特別に滑らせていただいているのだということを強く感じました。感染対策に完壁という言葉はないのかもしれませんが、その(ショーという)特別な時間を全力でまっとうする意識を、いつも以上に大切に滑らせていただきました。

アイスショーではオープニングを自ら振付けされたと聞きました。いままでも、ご自身のプログラムには振付に参加されていましたが、テーマなどをどのようにきめて、振付の準備をされていくのでしょうか?

羽生考えてみれば振付らしい振りをっけたのはFantasy on Ice (2018年)でのCHEMISTRYさんの『PIECES OF A DREAM』でした。ジェフ(オープニングの振付を担当したジェフリー·バトル)に「ここのパートを滑ってほしい、ノプ(織田信成氏)も途中から滑るから、そこもよろしく」って言われたのが始まりでした。それまでも自分のパートが存在していて、音に合わせていろいろ考えてはいたのですが、ノブくんも滑るとなると、完全に振り(振付)にしなくてはいけないなと思い、眠れない日がありました(笑)。

音楽をダウンロードして一晩中考えて、歌詞の意味とか、リズムの取り方や強弱, CHEMISTRY さんならではのおふたりのハモリをどのように表現していけばいいのかとか、いろんなことを考えました。そこからどんなエキシビションでも、オープニングもフィナーレも、自分だけのパートではない部分も録音して、練習したり振りをしっかり考えたりするようにしています。

Ice Show

The "Yuzuru Hanyu" style

- Please tell us what you felt when you performed in the ice show for the first time in two years (the show was not held last year due to the Corona disaster).

- Hanyu: It was very, very fun. Until just before the show, I was wondering if it was okay for me to skate in a show while the world is in such a situation. It's different from competitions, because it's not a competition. However, as I felt at the World Team Trophy and the World Championships, I realized that there are things I can do to support people directly, more than just emotionally, and that was very important for me. I felt very strongly that I was being given a special opportunity to skate, even though I didn't know whether or not I would be able to do an ice show in the future. There may be no such thing as a perfect barrier against infection, but I was more conscious than usual to do my best during that special time (the show).

- I heard that you choreographed the opening of the ice show yourself. You have participated in choreographing your own programs before, but how do you decide on the theme and prepare for the choreography?

- Hanyu: When I think about it, the first choreography I've done was CHEMISTRY's "Pieces of a Dream" for Fantasy on Ice (2018). Jeff (Jeffrey Buttle, who choreographed the opening) told me, "I want you to skate this part, and Nobunari Oda will be skating in the middle, so please take care of that too." Up until then, I just did my own part, thinking of various ways to match the music, but when Nobu was going to skate, I thought I would have to do a complete choreography, and there were days when I couldn't sleep (laughs).

I downloaded the music and thought about it all night long, thinking about the meaning of the lyrics, the rhythm, the strength and weakness, how to express the harmonies that only CHEMISTRY can provide, and many other things. From then on, I recorded the opening and finale of all exhibitions, even the parts that were not mine, so that I could learn and think about the choreography.

今回は初日から最後までだいぶ変化したのですが、初日は当日に現地入りして、オープニングとふたつのフィナーレを15分ぐらい口頭で説明していただいて、その後1時間半ぐらいの全体練習でみんなの動きを見ながら自分の立ち位置を確認して覚えて、その作業をしながら音をiPod で流して、自分のパートの振りを考えていました。その1時間後には本番だったので、自分の少ないレパートリーからなんとか振付を絞りだしました。それから毎晩、何度も聞き直して、振りを練り直したり、音のハマり具合を確かめたり、もっと体になじませたり、腕の位置や体の使い方などを練習していました。

振付の段階では、とにかく音と歌詞、リズムを大切にしています。今回は英語の曲だったので、見ている方々にはパッと意味が入りにくかったりすると思ったので、

音とリズムを重視して考えました。あとはもともと北米のショーだったので、姿勢を意識的によくしたり、スケートの軽さを変えたりしていました。でも一番考えたのは、「どんな振付が羽生結弦らしいか」「どんな振付に羽生結弦の良さが出ているのか」でした。好きな動きとか、派手な技をやるだけではなく、はたから見たときに「羽生結弦」の良さが出ているかどうかを考えていました。自分ではなく他の方がやってもいい振りではなく、自分ならではというのを大切にしています。

On the first day, I arrived at the venue on the day of the performance and was given a 15-minute verbal explanation of the opening and the two finales. While I was doing this, I played the sound on my iPod and thought about the choreography for my part. An hour later, the performance was to begin, so I managed to squeeze out a choreography from my limited repertoire. After that, I practiced every night, replaying the choreography over and over again, making sure the sound fit, getting more comfortable with my body, practicing the position of my arms and how to use my body.

In the choreography process, I just focus on the sound, lyrics, and rhythm. This time, the song was in English, so I thought it would be difficult for the audience to grasp the meaning.

So I focused on the sound and rhythm. Also, since it was originally a North American show, I had to consciously improve my posture and change the lightness of my skating. But the most important thing I thought about was "what kind of choreography is Yuzuru Hanyu's own style", "what kind of choreography shows Yuzuru Hanyu's quality". I was thinking not only about my favorite moves or flashy techniques, but also about whether or not the choreography showed the best of Yuzuru Hanyu when viewed from the outside. It's not about pretending that someone else can do the same thing, but about making sure it's unique to me.

ーアイスショーでは、一緒に滑った後輩たちから、とても勉強になったとの声がきかれました。羽生選手ご自身が先輩スケーターから学んだことはどんなことがありますか? また、いまも生かされていることはありますか?

羽生僕なんかで勉強になっていいのかわかりませんけれど……。でも、そういう風に思っていただけていたらうれしいです。僕の最初のアイスショーは、13歳のときのMedalist On Ice だと思います。ショートで「SingSingSing」を使っていたのですが、大好きな曲なので、違ったバージョンでエキシビションも(振付を)作ってもらいました。緊張して、でも見てもらえることのうれしさで一生懸命頑張ったと思います。空回りもしてしまいましたが(笑)。いちばん勉強になるのはFantasy onIce です。特にジェフやステファン( · ランビエル)、ジョニー(·ウィア)の練習やプログラムに対する姿勢、本番時の集中の仕方がすごいなと思っています。いまでもグループナンバーなどで振りをもらうとき、みんなで同じ振りをするので、どうやったらきれいになるのか、どうしたらよく見えるのかを、ジェフたちを見ながら勉強しています。

- At the ice show, the younger skaters who skated with you said that they learned a lot from you. What did you yourself learn from your senior skaters? What did you learn from the older skaters, and what do you still learn from them?

- Hanyu: I don't know if I'm good enough to learn from them. ...... I don't know if I can learn anything from them, but I'm glad if you think so. I think my first ice show was Medalist On Ice, when I was 13 years old. I used " Sing Sing Sing" in the short program, and I loved the song so much that I asked them to make a different version of it for the exhibition. I was nervous, but I think I did try my best because I was so happy to be seen. I learned the most from Fantasy on Ice. I'm especially impressed with Jeff, Stephane (Lambiel), and Johnny (Weir)'s attitude toward practice and the performance, and the way they concentrate during the performance. Even now, when I get a choreography for a group number, everyone does the same choreography, so I'm learning how to make it more beautiful and how to make it look better by watching Jeff and the others.

- 最後に読者の皆さまへ、来シーズンに向けた抱負をお願いします。

羽生今シーズンも応援していただき、本当にありがとうございました。僕自身もいつもとは違う悩みや、葛藤もありましたが、いま、試合であってもアイスショーであっても、フィギュアスケートができていることが幸せです。これからも一生懸命滑ら

せていただきます。

そして、来シーズンこそ、4Aを決められるよう、全力で頑張っていきます!

- Finally, to our readers, what are your ambitions for the coming season?

- Hanyu: Thank you very much for your support this season. I had different worries and conflicts, but now I'm happy to be figure skating, whether it's in competitions or ice shows. I will continue to skate as hard as I can.

And next season, I'll try my best to make 4A!

Thank you so much for the translation.
It's a nice interview ❤

Twitter was full of news about Yuzu's GP assignments today (also from Pakistan). Here are a few tweets.

Shoma is ranked 10th.

4 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

It's done! 17 Million views! Woohoo! :cheer:

:clapclap4: Congrats :smiley-happy105:

3 hours ago, gaia said:

yes. it's ok. for the moment. but don't you think this could be a first step towards total ban? I wouldn't be surprised :(

I wouldn't worry about that for now, let's spare our energy for when ISU really makes nonsensical choices (it's not like they don't make plenty of those already).:tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:And Yuzu isn't the only skater using earbuds rinkside, many other skaters listen to music while waiting off ice (though no one is as enthusiastic as Yuzu):10814716: 

In one of his postNHK14 interviews Yuzuru explained that "the wind"(*) of skaters approaching is a tell-tale sign of someone getting close and my guess is that such a perception also has an auditory component.

not to mention that there might also be spoken warnings from skaters themselves or coaches (or if there's audience they might go AHHHH if they see two skaters getting too close), and anyway in general listening to music with earbuds does reduce awareness of one's surrondings (which is exaclty the reason why skaters use earbuds to "shut off" the rest of the world so they can calm down and focus). So, when on the ice skaters need to keep their senses sharp.

(*)he said that in relation to his "fear" after the COC crash: in NHK14, even when he wasn't feeling the "wind" and his rational side knew he was safe, he still lost focus because the fear was there. You can find it at 4:40 of this vid There's even footage from NHK practice (not in this vid) where Yuzuru kinda ducks to the boards in fear when a skater approaches and then Yuzu smiles in a self-deprecating way for overreacting. The crash really affected him a lot not only physically but mentally too :/

Congrats to SEIMEI-sama for 17 millions!:665e343793b9: now time to bring it at 18 :P

May I remind everyone of Henni's playlists, the vids above 1 million and especially the one with the vids not yet at 1million? They deserve love too!!!:smiley-sad021: in particular the GPF and NHK Seimei that were purged off YT a few years ago, and Origin from Saitama

And why are there only two Yuzu's ex among the 1 million views vids? And why is PC Ballade not at 10 millions already? And how come that COC POTO is popular but not my beloved GPF14 POTO or the WTT version?:snkuyashii:

ETA: I've fixed the link, I can't believe I had linked to the above 1million vids twice

:facepalm:

38 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

Congrats to SEIMEI-sama for 17 millions! : 665e343793b9: Now time to bring it at 18: P

May I remind everyone of Henni's playlists, the vids above 1 million especially the one with the vids not yet at 1million ? They deserve love too !!! : smiley-sad021:especially the GPF and NHK Seimei that were purged off YT a few years ago, and Origin from Saitama

And why are there only two Yuzu's ex among the 1 million views vids? And why is PC Ballade not at 10 millions already? And how come that COC POTO is popular but not my beloved GPF14 POTO or the WTT version?: snkuyashii:

I fear, the reason for the many clicks on CoC POTO is rather curiosity than popularity. People wanted to know about the crash with Yan Han and watch Yuzu fighting through the program. Drama and sensation still seem to attract more people than beauty and magic in many cases, which is sad.

But I fully agree with you: Ballade and the EX programs in general should have way more views. It's unforgivable that Notte has not even hit the 2Mio. Yet.

But the off-season is long ... : pudding:

By the way: Sportschau LMEY dropped to 5th place on the channel. It got surpassed by the summary of the Germany-Portugal match at the current Euros. But they are pretty close together, Yuzu with 1.87 M views and the soccer clip with 1.9 M.

However, it seems that many Euros videos have passed the 1M view mark or got close to it, so Yuzu's video may have a hard time to stay in the top 5. Fanyus, do your thing :coolio:

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

It's unforgivable that Notte has not even hit the 2Mio

Ah, sounds like a challenge !!

11 minutes ago, Anni said:

:drink2:

Let's look forward to many wonderful Yuzu moments in the new season :heartpound:

Credit: @5clouds_7gems

Aww spiky-chan's smile is precious <3 

Encore pour le plaisir des yeux et des oreilles, sur la superbe mélodie des Carpenters et la voix particulièrement douce de Karen  <3 et j'ai fait traduire en Français les paroles de cette mélodie qui colle juste avec les images  : softYuzu: et j'écrit un commentaire traduit) : "un être à la sensi bilité à fleur de peau et d'un mental à toutes épreuves : voil à ce qui fait de lui un champion" SUPER bien écrit Bernadette et c'est bien tout ce qui est Yuzu  : animated-smileys-character-075: et comme on le dit en France : "les fées se sont penchées sur son berceau" 

PS : google translate ne veut pas traduire? désolée