General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, yuzu-san-fanyu said:

Oh this is interesting! In fact, I was thinking that because he probably wouldn't get to see his coaches this season (with NHK and COR), and because he could wait for Ghislain's help to continue practicing 4A (given that 'he said he doesn't practice it in the K&C interview), that his generalist assignments might force him to retire, because the 4A is his ultimate dream and I don't see him retiring until' for her body to give way or to land her

Of course everyone (good and even me) would like Yuzu to go as far as possible and you wrote : "until his body gives way" we should not go to this extreme , because in 2023 he will be in the year of its 29 years and rap pel ez sure to Javi retired at age 27 and "you'r so beats / i can not do without you" in tears Yuzu : Although its ultimate goal is the 4A and that he gets there with, as you write, the help of Ghislain 

Just now, Yuzuwinnie said:

Bien sûr tout le monde (les bons et même moi) aimerait que Yuzu aille le plus loin possible et tu as écrit : "jusqu'à ce que son corps cède" il ne faut pas aller à cet extrême , car en 2023 il sera dans l'année de ses 29 ans et rap pel ez sure de Javi a pris sa retraite à 27 ans et " you'r so beats / je ne peux pas faire sans toi " en larmes Yuzu : Bien que son but ultime soit le 4A et qu'il y arrive avec, comme tu l'écris, l'aide de Ghislain 

PS : j'ai écrit " you'r so bad " et pas " you'r so beats ( battement / rythme / pulsations ) qui n'as rien a voir ?  " google s'est trompé : désolée 

8 hours ago, river said:

Not to be that person, but 4 comps in 8 weeks, yikes. At least this time GPF and JNats are in the same time zone. I'm having some 2019 flashbacks right now...

NO

:tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

GPF was in Japan in 2013 too and even if TEB was the second ot last event (so he had a 3 weeks gap), if he stays in Japan travelling schedule is not too bad and he might manage ot keep a good enough form in GPF and Nats too (though it would indeed became an impossible schedule if any physical issue were to happen in any of his GP assignments)

I prefer to see this NHK+RC combo as

1. Zu wanting to avoid the SC gold curse(*)
  2. a walk down memory lane in Sochi (that hopefully will let him get revenge for his FS in 2014 and will end on a higher note than the walk down olympic memory lane in Turin)
  3. the only international travel will be once to Russia if he's based in Japan, half the distance of his repeated back and forth in 2019 (Canada-Japan-Canada-Italy-Canada-Japan)
  4. maybe he plans to go to Asian Trophy after all, if China will really relax their requirement for foreign athletes e.g. foreign skaters for COC would hardly compete in GP is required to quarantine 2 whole weeks without training, and for sure the USA and Italian skaters (Russian too?) aren't beign vaxed with chinese vaccines...

Also possible that Yuzu would have been fine with SCI but Nathan asked for SCI himself, being close and all, and SCI organizers didn't express any particular preference in having Yuzu instead, so Nate got to go:shrug: If Yuzuru really planned to go back to Cananda then his plans might have been messed up a bit, but we can't even know for sure what he wanted to do...

(NHK instead we know for sure basically always invites Yuzu and/or Nat champ when possible. We speculated that Helsinki+RC2018 assignments probably weren't in deference to Shoma being the champion, but more forced by the ISU so their last minute GP replacement would be a financial success for poor Finnish organizers who took the onus of saving GP series)

I still kinda hope he can go to TCC in late summer/early autumn, to get some training with coaches there, some in person choreo brush-up with Jeff at least (giving for granted that he's choreographing Yuzuru's SP, be it LMEY repeat or new piece), and especially get Ghislain's in person advice for 4A + all the physio and off ice stuff that TCC can offer. But maybe at this point he'll juat keep goimg with online sessions...

For sure I hope that Yuzu can actually get all he off ice assistence he needs even when in Japan, and that he gets the vaccine as soon as possible.

*I don't think it's really a curse, just fun fact that both Patrick and Shoma got silver at Olys after winning SCI gold LOL and in general Mens' SCI gold hasn't been the luckiest of omens starting from 2013-14.

more omens discussion under spoiler

Spoiler

The SCI gold curse for WC (the man winning SCI won't win following WC) has stronger "evidence" than for the olympics. I think it started with SCI2013 though, since before then Patrick Chan had no trouble winning both SCI and WC. Basically, Zu created the curse LOL

And while WC2020 was cancelled, one might argue that the SCI2019 gold curse was still in place for Yuzu in Stockholm especially with that untimely asthma attack argh

Though, for Nathan fans worried that he's doing SCI or people who might wish for this particular curse to be real in this instance, Nate has a good omen going for him on top of ISU and USFSA bign in his corner : he won WC in scandinavian country before Olys, which is generally a good omen. Though, now I think about it, maybe the good omen wasn't for every scandinavian country but only for Helsinki WC?:think: Hamilton, Yagudin and Yuzu all won OGM after winning a Helsinki WC (even is Yags not in pre-oly season).

Yuma too has the good omen of having medalled at his first WC in the quad leading to OWG.:laughing: (for example, for Sochi Zu had the "medalled at first WC" good omen, while in PC we had the Helisinki WC good omen and Boyang had the medalled at first WC omen instead. Gotta find another good omen for Yuzu!:book-smiley:)

Of course, good omens don't necessarily mean that a skater gets a OGM :crystalball: so don't get too hung up on curses&omen talks, they're just fun though I admit that the Helsinki good omen was an helpful thought during those dreadful 3 months between NHK17 and OWG18

For the other assignments,

Spoiler

I'm mostly surprised they'd send Shoma to SA and NHK but not to IDF.

For SA there was no other possibility, both Yuzu and Yuma couldn't go there.

I understand why they chose NHK (though tbh Yuzu + Dai + all the ladies are more than enough to sell NHK), but still, IDF was the the most convenient location for Shoma, given his training base. Same for Rika, actually, but since she's reigning Jpn champion is would have meant back to back assignments with NHK, so there's logic there. (Though gotta say that it feels that her assignments make so very hard for her to qualify for gpf, because with the amount of overscored faves with high BV in both SCI and NHK, I won't be surprised if she gets buried even if cleanish with 3x3A).

Shoma in IDF woudl have meant giving Yuma a competitor with comparable (or higher) BV/scoring range though. IMO they chose to give Yuma the easiest assignments: all the skaters with potentially higher BV in IDF and COC have less rep than him, and those potentially scoring better because reputation or fed backing have lower BV e.g. Keegan, Kevin, Dima, Misha... he's already outscored all of them by a lot. Even if they go for 2+3 quads (which for some of his competitors would already be a big upgrade from what they've done this past season) none of them has a theorical outstanding advantage over Yuma (even assuming that Yuma  sticks to 2+3 quads too). And right now Yuma has more rep than them because of his WC silver (and the general enthusiasm surrounding him).

So my eduated guess is that JSF wanted to protect Yuma a lil bit, which tbh can agree with as a strategy to maximize Yuma's rep before GPF. I only hope that JSF won't be dumb enough to push Shoma at Yuzuru's expenses at NHK (as they've been blatantly doing at Nats). Because starting off with panels pointedly nitpicking at Yuzu, it wouldn't be a nice way to kick off oly season (thoguh for sure many would love to see exacly that)

If JSF gotta push Shoma at NHK, better push Yuzu too.

5 hours ago, Pammi said:

Sigh....just checked ISU website re assignments - and noticed for SKAM the text says three time world champion Nathan Chen, and for NHK it say Olympic Champion Yuzuru Hanyu - not TWO TIME OLYMPIC CHAMPION!!!! Here we go again arrrgggghhhhh!!!!! :emoticonaci2019_2: 

tbh one OGM is worth more than multiple WC gold :D and not only in laypeople perception, ask Patrick (who had to get Team Gold, not even individual gold, to make peace with himself and Yuzu. Or P/C, who have plenty of WC but that silver in PC stings so much. Ot V/M who came back specifically to get revenge at Olys. Or Aljona and her 5 Oly partecipations. Or All those multiple times WC champions who still look back with resignation to what could have been but wasn't...

:P

So, while I'd prefer for ISU to say 2xOGM (and it wouldn't be the first time they casually undermine Zu, they did that even in hte first version of his nominee for those stupid isu awards), it kinda says everything you need to know about why USFSA is so desperate to get that OGM.
Fun fact:

Spoiler

in the last 4 Games (2006-2018) USA in Men's&Ladies' individual events has been on podium only twice (and just one gold).

For comparison, Japan was on podium 6 times, at least once per game, with 3 OGMs.

historically, USA were DOMINANT in singles, so it must be a very hard pill to swallow.

so sorry for the disappointed satellites :/ and yeah for international fans Japan comp are almost impossible, even more with possible limitations for foreigners to travel to Japan... I wouldn't be surprised if JSF didn't allotted any ticket for international fans, their priority has always been domestic audience (and even for jpn fan it's gonna be absolute bloodbath to get a ticket).

I made peace with myself that Turin was be my one and only chance to see Yuzuru compete live, but I still hope that, even if he stops competing, he will finally start going to iceshows outside Japan...

4 hours ago, yuzuonice said:

Not to cause panic but we should start saving any unlisted videos we don't have in our archive yet!

well f*ck! thanks for nothing YT. :knc_brian3: Unlisted vid are one of the few ways uploaders can avoid the great YT purges and protect their accounts, darn YT and broadcasters, as if they ever made alternatives available to people (or did they even care about footage from 4 years ago)

I'll try to help out in the weekend, if you'll need help

if the YTvids that needs to be saved are in a YT playlist I should be able to download whole playlist in one go with 4k downloader, I downloaded this way a few of Pino's competition playlists with +20 vids, so it should work with unlisted vids too. I can download YT subs too, so if you also need any help in downloading too let me know:tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg:

2 hours ago, LadyLou said:

well f*ck! thanks for nothing YT. :knc_brian3: Unlisted vid are one of the few ways uploaders can avoid the great YT purges and protect their accounts, darn YT and broadcasters, as if they ever made alternatives available to people (or did they even care about footage from 4 years ago)

I'll try to help out in the weekend, if you'll need help

if the YTvids that needs to be saved are in a YT playlist I should be able to download whole playlist in one go with 4k downloader, I downloaded this way a few of Pino's competition playlists with +20 vids, so it should work with unlisted vids too. I can download YT subs too, so if you also need any help in downloading too let me know:tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg:

Update from Pino-san (I contacted them on Twitter):

はーい、ありがとう♡

YouTubeからもたくさんメールが来ました、手続きしなくちゃね😅

from the Google translate, looks like they plan to go through their mail and request to opt out of privating 🙏

Spoiler

If you have access to yuzuangel's streamable, it is also easy because you don't even need to download anything, just pasting the YT link is enough, then you only need to wait for it to process ❤️

9 hours ago, kingbanana said:

Same. I do think he'll make it to the Olympics, but might retire after that. The Olympics would be the next plausible event to attend but idk if I'll be able to make it. At this point Rostelecom is looking attractive.

I don't think Yuzu will retire after this season, unless his body can't hold it any longer. Remember he talked about how he looks up to Kohei Uchimura, who is 32 now and still competing. 

7 hours ago, KendallKlaire said:

Perhaps this is shallow of me but I'm going to be REALLY curious how the crowd at SCI compares to 2019. I know the ladies competition is stacked which is why it may draw a crowd, but the men? I wonder how many people are willing to fly to Canada to watch SCI in person without Yuzu there...

There will be no comparison. Only Yuzu has the power to draw huge audiences. I’m sure that I am a typical Yuzu fan in that I will travel 3361 km from Vancouver to Toronto in order to watch Yuzu compete 2.5 minutes in the short program and 4 minutes in the free. Of course, the costume reveal at ACI and his practices are worth it just by themselves.

My wife and I have been to three ACIs in 2017, 2018 and 2019. We would not do that for any other skater.

I will travel across Canada to catch a glimpse of Yuzu, but I will not be attending SCI this year although I live in Metro Vancouver and the venue is at my old alma mater the University of British Columbia an easy 40 minutes drive from my home.

Apparently WestJet flight attendants were heard to say that they had never seen Kelowna International Airport as busy as it was the weekend that Yuzu was there for SCI in 2019.

https://www.tourismkelowna.com/industry/industry-news-centre/post/thousands-of-international-visitors-attend-2019-skate-canada-international-in-kelowna/

Skate Canada International 2019 generated $5.3 million in economic activity in British Columbia with $4.5 million of that directly in the Kelowna area. Thanks to Hanyuconomy.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6288882/kelowna-skate-canada-international-economic-activity-report/

16 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

There will be no comparison. Only Yuzu has the power to draw huge audiences. I’m sure that I am a typical Yuzu fan in that I will travel 3361 km from Vancouver to Toronto in order to watch Yuzu compete 2.5 minutes in the short program and 4 minutes in the free. Of course, the costume reveal at ACI and his practices are worth it just by themselves.

My wife and I have been to three ACIs in 2017, 2018 and 2019. We would not do that for any other skater.

I will travel across Canada to catch a glimpse of Yuzu, but I will not be attending SCI this year although I live in Metro Vancouver and the venue is at my old alma mater the University of British Columbia an easy 40 minutes drive from my home.

Apparently WestJet flight attendants were heard to say that they had never seen Kelowna International Airport as busy as it was the weekend that Yuzu was there for SCI in 2019.

https://www.tourismkelowna.com/industry/industry-news-centre/post/thousands-of-international-visitors-attend-2019-skate-canada-international-in-kelowna/

Skate Canada International 2019 generated $5.3 million in economic activity in British Columbia with $4.5 million of that directly in the Kelowna area. Thanks to Hanyuconomy.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6288882/kelowna-skate-canada-international-economic-activity-report/

Well... given that I am considering flying across the world just to see him live ONCE in my life, I can definitely believe this. 

8 minutes ago, buttercup said:

It was always going to be a long shot this season because fucking covid but at this rate, I guess I’m just never gonna see him live.
That’s fine.

It’s fine.

It’s totally fine. AjE.gif

:consoling2: I am going to try going anyways, but if I cannot get tickets... I guess it means the world is conspiring against me ever seeing him live... Maybe I should have tried getting the SOI tickets :dontdothistome:

24 minutes ago, buttercup said:

It was always going to be a long shot this season because fucking covid but at this rate, I guess I’m just never gonna see him live.
That’s fine.

It’s fine.

It’s totally fine. AjE.gif

That is definitely a portrait of me. Just so fine.

9 時間前, Hydrobladeさんが言いました:

I am kinda relieved that he won't be close because there's no way i can take time off to travel this year :sadPooh:

But idk, i'm a bit sad because i know it's possibly the last season and i don't want to think about thaaat:sadPooh:

It can be said particularly of the Nats, I'm afraid.  If it is held in areas other than Kanto, I might have given up.  But it's SAITAMA, next to the prefecture I live, and the competition venue is large.  How can I give up to try :chase:

Because of the word starting from r, that someone would come to bury me if I said it :smiley-scared003: , this might be the last chance for me to watch him in the Nats live. (I could watch the Nats twice before thanks to my friend who had luck, but both were not the days for mens singles.)  

Lol, 7 new pages since yesterday. Could only mean one thing.

Well, the biggest upside of the GP events is that I can follow Yuzu's competitions in peace with none of ISU's posterboys being there.

I honestly don't care anymore how many of his titles they try to erease in their articles. The career achievement page will be pinned on Wiki's mainpage on 12th July and Yuzu's two individual Olympic gold medals, 19 world records and all other accomplishments will be displayed to the world in the sweetest possible way. So I'm totally chilled.

I hope that his return to Sochi will bring him luck and he can enjoy this season more than the last ones. Fingers crossed :peace2:

EDIT:

Wow!! I just saw the other assignments and COR feels like SC flashback all over again! Yuzu, Keiji, Matteo, Camden and even Romsky all reunited! With Misha, Kazuki and Brezina on top! Gosh, now I'm really looking forward to that event.

And NHK looks like a pretty tough field with Yuzu, Shoma, Vincent, Samsonov, Nam, Jun, Matteo, Camden and Samarin. That will be some bloodbath for sure.

Regarding the gp assignment..i'm thankful that Yuzu is still going to compete.Sure the gp placement is not ideal but his skating  means so much and helping me get through this pandemic.I'm looking forward to it and hopefully jsf stick to their plan to get their skaters vaccinate by August.I think somehow this is the best fit for Yuzu in term of less traveling abroad  because i think he is not planning to go back to Canada any time soon.Regarding SCI..i think its possible they will be no spectators allowed and might be cancel also like the jgp in Canada that has been cancelled