General Yuzuru Chat

I agree that China will forge ahead with the Olympics if it is humanly possible to do so.  I don’t know what to think about the GP.  ISU and local feds are going to be desperate for the money, but across the countries in question there is such a huge disparity in how to deal with it, it’s hard to see how it can happen in the normal way.  Maybe it will be localised with skaters being sent to the two nearest to their home/training base?  They may have to drop the splitting of last years podium placed skaters if so.  In a normal year I’d prefer Yuzuru to do SC and Rostelecom simply because we get better practice footage etc from those competitions.  I have bad memories of puddles on the ice at French competitions so I prefer him not to go there even though it’s probably my best chance of ever seeing him.  In these times I really don’t know what to wish for.  I found the WC dispiriting, not because of any particular outcome but seeing the disparity between those skaters whose circumstances meant that they got ice time, training and competition and those who didn’t.  Not a level playing field.  I particularly felt for the likes of Roman Sadovsky.

I'm here to confess my sins
I'm getting addicted to the edited video* of yuzu dancing on "la vida loca". he looks so happy and light-hearted ! :tumblr_m9gcraReGL1qzckow:
thanks  @Geo1 for sharing <3<3<3

*I'll re-post it here

2 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

I agree that China will forge ahead with the Olympics if it is humanly possible to do so.  I don’t know what to think about the GP.  ISU and local feds are going to be desperate for the money, but across the countries in question there is such a huge disparity in how to deal with it, it’s hard to see how it can happen in the normal way.  Maybe it will be localised with skaters being sent to the two nearest to their home/training base?  They may have to drop the splitting of last years podium placed skaters if so.  In a normal year I’d prefer Yuzuru to do SC and Rostelecom simply because we get better practice footage etc from those competitions.  I have bad memories of puddles on the ice at French competitions so I prefer him not to go there even though it’s probably my best chance of ever seeing him.  In these times I really don’t know what to wish for.  I found the WC dispiriting, not because of any particular outcome but seeing the disparity between those skaters whose circumstances meant that they got ice time, training and competition and those who didn’t.  Not a level playing field.  I particularly felt for the likes of Roman Sadovsky.

No doubt that China will go ahead with the Olys, unless another disaster like the current pandemic happens globally. I think I did mention Beijing Olys Committee observing the summer olys, but that's for identifying ways to hold the winter olys.

As for the GP and Asian Open tho, that's another question. Speaking only about China, the ISU stresses that Asian Open must happen, but in what way, I don't know. If the gov is still adamant that only people with Sinovac can enter into the country by then, Asian Open and COC will look like two exclusive events LOL. For other GP events, it's hard (but easier than last year) to tell. Megasport got suspended for breaking Covid rules (hah!) and the Covid situation doesn't look good in Moscow either. 

Seeing that France was so ready to take over discarded JGP event from Canada, maybe they can do the same for GP as well? LOL 

14 hours ago, hananistellata said:

I have a question that has been bothering me for quite a while. This is going to be quite embarrassing considering that I've been a Fanyu for almost two years, but I guess it's better late than never. How is Yuzuru's name supposed to be pronounced? LET ME EXPLAIN - All this time I have pronounced it like YUzuru HANyu and heard a lot of people pronounce it like that too, but I also hear a lot of people especially Japanese commentators pronounce it like YuZUru HanYU. Meanwhile, when I watch videos of Yuzuru, he mainly pronounces it like YUzuru HANyu just like me.Since he pronounces it like that too, I believe I pronounce it correctly too since it is his own name but at the same time I can't help but consider the huge amount of people who pronounce his name differently, so which one is really right? I know that the Japanese language usually does not have accents and the words are pronounced with pitches but still. Is it a regional accent thing or what? Are my ears just playing games?  

So, for my part with a European French ear I hear yOUzOUrOU Hanyou : peekapooh:

14 hours ago, hananistellata said:

I have a question that has been bugging me for quite a while. This is gonna be pretty embarrassing considering the fact that I've been a Fanyu for almost two years but I guess it's better late than never. How is Yuzuru's name supposed to be pronounced? LET ME EXPLAIN MYSELF- This whole time I've been pronouncing it as YUzuru HANyu and I've heard a lot of people pronounce it like that as well, but I also keep hearing a lot of people, especially Japanese commentators pronounce it as YuZUru HanYU. Meanwhile, when I watch videos of Yuzuru, he mostly pronounces it as YUzuru HANyu, just like I do. Since he pronounces it like that too then I believe that I'm pronouncing it correctly as well since it's his own name but at the same time I can't help but consider the huge amount of people that pronounce his name differently, so which one is really right? I know that typically the Japanese language doesn't have stresses and that words are said with pitches instead but still. Is this a regional accent thing or what? Are my ears just playing games?  

I think this place can give you an acceptable approximation. Just paste はにゅう ゆづる, click Analyze, scroll down a bit and then generate and playback. It sounds close to what i hear when they announce him in Japan. So i guess that would be the standard way of pronouncing his name:heavybreathing:

6 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

Je suis d'accord que la Chine ira de l'avant avec les Jeux Olympiques si cela est humainement possible. Je ne sais pas quoi penser du GP. L'ISU et les autorités locales vont avoir désespérément besoin d'argent, mais dans les pays en question, il existe une telle disparité dans la façon de gérer cela qu'il est difficile de voir comment cela peut se produire de manière normale. Peut-être que cela sera localisé avec des patineurs envoyés aux deux plus proches de leur domicile/base d'entraînement ? Si tel est le cas, ils devront peut-être abandonner la division des patineurs montés sur le podium de l'année dernière. Dans une année normale, je préférerais que Yuzuru fasse SC et Rostelecom simplement parce que nous obtenons de meilleures séquences d'entraînement, etc. de ces compétitions. J'ai un mauvais souvenir des flaques d'eau sur la glace lors des compétitions françaises donc je préfère qu'il n'y aille pas même si c'est probablement ma meilleure chance de le voir. En ces temps, je ne sais vraiment pas quoi souhaiter. J'ai trouvé le CM décourageant, non pas à cause d'un résultat particulier, mais en voyant la disparité entre les patineurs dont les circonstances signifiaient qu'ils avaient du temps de glace, de l'entraînement et de la compétition et ceux qui n'en avaient pas. Pas un terrain de jeu égal. J'ai particulièrement aimé Roman Sadovsky.

OK, so you were there in France? I think it was in Marseille for the 2016 GPF and the cardboard medals .... The FFSG is problematic and the best will train elsewhere !!!!!! and it is also in Boston for Global 2016 also beautiful pool :dislike: