General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, hananistellata said:

She looks somewhat "immune" to it, like "he is pulling my hair again, just smile and wave". Kanako has DEFINITELY experienced some stuff. :roll:

Does she have a brother? Cause that would explain her immunity 😁

18 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Quick question: Does anyone know the Japanese title, publisher, number of pages and ISBN of the Continues With Wings Treasured Edition Book?

I'd like to use this page as reference, but couldn't find the information of the original source:

https://nanoka12.tumblr.com/post/174949672746/continues-with-wings-treasured-edition-book

Thank you very much!

16 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Is it this book?

kVTyZVz.jpeg

El74F4T.jpeg

xsJLvXR.jpeg

Because I don't see an ISBN or publisher or anything anywhere on the physical book. It almost feels more like a pamphlet than a book.

Yes, this is Continues ~with Wings~ 愛蔵版ブック. It is more like a deluxe edition (or a collectible edition) of the CwW brochure (or guidebook.) It doesn't have ISBN because it wasn't meant to be sold at bookstores. It doesn't have page counts, but the translated part is on page no. 18, if you count from the page next to the title page. (By title page, I mean the page called 扉 and 本扉 in this figure. Sorry, I don't know how I can explain this in English :tumblr_inline_mn41rkfu9v1qz4rgp:) Although no one is credited as the publisher, since CwW was organized by Continues ~with Wngs~ Executive Committee, I guess they are the de facto publisher of this book.

Going off topic (or wrong forum?) But does anyone know any good figure skating podcasts? 

I used to listen to IceTalk which I actually thought was pretty good and fair (as far as an American podcast goes). Jackie and Nick were pretty decent hosts and they got a lot of good guest skaters on the podcast. But now both of them are gone and replaced by Mirai Nagasu and Tara Wellman(A sports reporter?) who are not nearly as fair or good. Yesterday, in a fit of boredom, I rediscovered the podcast with the new hosts and tried to listen to the episode where they discussed the 2020 Japanese Nationals and I could not make it more than 5 minutes. They talked about how Nathan is much more exciting skater whereas Yuzu is a predictable skater (why they had to mention Nathan in an episode about Japanese nationals is beyond me). Then they kept mentioning about how Yuzu "missed" his spin in his short program. Um no? He did the spin, but the judges invalidated it for unclear reasons. Say what you will about Jackie and Nick, but they would have at least got that right. 

Anyway, I want to find a good podcast with not so terrible hosts. Unfortunately it's very hard to find something that isn't so nationally biased...

20 minutes ago, KendallKlaire said:

Going off topic (or wrong forum?) But does anyone know any good figure skating podcasts? 

I used to listen to IceTalk which I actually thought was pretty good and fair (as far as an American podcast goes). Jackie and Nick were pretty decent hosts and they got a lot of good guest skaters on the podcast. But now both of them are gone and replaced by Mirai Nagasu and Tara Wellman(A sports reporter?) who are not nearly as fair or good. Yesterday, in a fit of boredom, I rediscovered the podcast with the new hosts and tried to listen to the episode where they discussed the 2020 Japanese Nationals and I could not make it more than 5 minutes. They talked about how Nathan is much more exciting skater whereas Yuzu is a predictable skater (why they had to mention Nathan in an episode about Japanese nationals is beyond me). Then they kept mentioning about how Yuzu "missed" his spin in his short program. Um no? He did the spin, but the judges invalidated it for unclear reasons. Say what you will about Jackie and Nick, but they would have at least got that right. 

Anyway, I want to find a good podcast with not so terrible hosts. Unfortunately it's very hard to find something that isn't so nationally biased...

Ah, so it is not just me who is having trouble finding a good figure skating podcast!

Unfortunately, I only have one to recommend, and they haven't updated since Mar 29. The 'On Figure Skating Podcast' by Dea and Johanna is really good! They are both Swedish I think. I think most of what they say is pretty fair and I like that one of them is a 'new' ish figure skating fan while the other has been a fan for a long time, so they can have quite diverse views. I have actually finished listening to all their episodes already!

On 6/22/2021 at 12:46 PM, yuzuangel said:

He looks so happy in all of these photos <3 

:love:

There are now links to order the calendar (2 versions)

Or here

wall calendar

https://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/calenavi/cl22-551.html

desk calendar

https://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/calenavi/cl22-552.html

10 hours ago, lajoitko said:

I’m really relieved about this good news:smiley-angelic001:

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
13 minutes ago, Anni said:

: love:

There are now links to order the calendar (2 versions)

Or here

wall calendar

https://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/calenavi/cl22-551.html

Desk calendar

https://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/calenavi/cl22-552.html

I am relieved by this news: smiley-angelic001:

I went to see on AMAZON France and it does not exist  :disdain:  and I am happy for the lucky ones who will be able to get it and  : iagree:for the vaccination and, higher? Have talked Yuzu in yukata and I found a picture and a lot :heartpound:  :girlsigh:

tumblr_nrhdalW31U1tbuttdo1_640.jpg 

With the Olympic opening ceremony now just a month away I've been thinking of what effects might occur if Yuzu is given a prominent part in that ceremony.  To begin with, though, a thought about the ceremony viewership.  First off,  the ceremony will take place in early afternoon European time and early morning North American time.  For Europe it's ideal.  For American and Canadians it's decidedly less so, though those in the Eastern and Central time zones will be able to see it after the sun has risen.  As far as viewership goes I think the numbers will be higher than normal since many will tune in to see how things are being handled mid-pandemic.  As far as Japan goes, I have a feeling that it will be an unofficial holiday across the country.  THEY want to see how things are being handled also.  The number of athletes at the ceremony will also be smaller since the athletes can't arrive more than five days before they start competition and I imagine will be required to leave once they are done competing.  All this to lesson inter-athlete contacts.  Olympic Village, I think, will be more Spartan than Athenian.

Now to Yuzu.  First off, I (and many others here) will be quite surprised and disappointed if he is not featured at some point in the opening ceremony.  In Japan he is iconic, far far more than just a figure-skater.  His face is instantly recognizable from one end of the Japanese Isles to another.  Outside of Japan, however, he is known basically only by the figure-skating fans worldwide.  Amongst them, I will add, he is also iconic.  Everyone in figure skating knows who he is and why he is known.  They might not call him the GOAT but they know that amongst all the skaters in today's competitive world he has the greatest claim to that title.  The crucial element here is that proceeding with the games has met with a high rate of disapproval amongst the Japanese public.  What is needed is some very high-profile figure to be involved with the ceremony whose presence will serve to bring the Japanese public around.  Yuzu, a public figure with a ridiculously high rate of public approval, a figure who has been in the public spotlight for years and about whom not a single breath of scandal has ever been seen, well, folks, he's just about as ideal as they come.  The Olympic officialdom needs him and I think he is most likely available .  He knows what's at stake.

So we reach now the main question - What effect will Yuzu's appearance have on Yuzu's career and his fandom?  There are two separate questions here and I will begin with his fandom.  I'm remembering back at the time of Princess Diana's death when the British public (and the world's public also) got it's first real close-up look at young Prince William who was right then at the peak of his adolescent gorgeousness.  In Britain he became a teen-age idol.  I think Yuzu will have a similar effect.  I know that amongst us here on the Planet and also amongst the Japanese public as a whole we've sort of gotten used to Yuzu's physical beauty but that is not the case beyond Japan's shore (with China and Korea excepted).  The thing is that Yuzu, had he musical talent to match his looks would today be sitting astride the world of Japanese pop, right alongside BTS and all the others.  But Yuzu is not musical, at least in the normal sense of things.  He IS musical in his ability to translate music into movement and that is one of the things that so sets him aside from all the jumpers that now infest male figure-skating (and increasingly the ladies also).

What all this means is that, as I see it,  Beijing will be Yuzu's to lose.  Unless he turns in  performance like Nathan did in his short program at PC, Yuzu will reign.  Why?  Well,  to begin with judges at the Olympics are much more under the microscope than elsewhere.  If they score a skater in ways that are obvious to the skating public they will be call on that.  The other thing is, and I've raised this issue before, Yuzu's pursuit of a third consecutive Olympics gold medal, something not seen for nearly a century, will be the number one story of the Olympics, not just for skating but for everything.  Because of that Nathan cannot rely on his usual judge biases.  He's on his own.  He must sink or swim on his merits alone.  And we all know what that is.  As Johnny Weir said back in 2015 and it's still true today - Nobody can beat a perfect Yuzuru Hanyu.

1 hour ago, micaelis said:

What all this means is that, as I see it,  Beijing will be Yuzu's to lose.  Unless he turns in  performance like Nathan did in his short program at PC, Yuzu will reign.  Why?  Well,  to begin with judges at the Olympics are much more under the microscope than elsewhere.  If they score a skater in ways that are obvious to the skating public they will be call on that.  The other thing is, and I've raised this issue before, Yuzu's pursuit of a third consecutive Olympics gold medal, something not seen for nearly a century, will be the number one story of the Olympics, not just for skating but for everything.  Because of that Nathan cannot rely on his usual judge biases.  He's on his own.  He must sink or swim on his merits alone.  And we all know what that is.  As Johnny Weir said back in 2015 and it's still true today - Nobody can beat a perfect Yuzuru Hanyu.

I love your optimism but I don't share it. The upcoming Olympics is NC to lose. They set it up that way and have been building the narrative for years. They even changed the rules to make it happen. As things are now, NC can make mistakes and still win comfortably. Only a complete meltdown will lose him the gold. If you don't believe me, go and check his scores for all elements and not just jumps. By scoring him the way they have been on spins, StSq and PC in the past few years, especially in competitions against better skaters like Yuzu, Jason and others, they made it look like he is actually that good. So, it doesn't matter what kind of scrutiny the judges are under in the Olympics, because they can always say "This is the quality of his elements, just check his previous scores" and over score him. The ISU have learned their lessen from the Yuna Kim controversy and they made sure a similar thing won't happen by taking control of the narrative from the beginning.

This was obviously their goal when they changed the judging system. They wanted more control to have the champion they choose. As we have seen in the past couple of years, it doesn't matter how good Yuzu is. The judges and TP can easily invent a mistake to punish him while conveniently not seeing NC errors.  

I am not saying Yuzu can't win, but this is not his competition to lose. This is going to be an uphill battle for him and any other contender. Because this gold medal has been bought and paid for years ago.

Also, this not an attack on NC. He just happens to be the chosen one this time. It could be anyone else and I will still feel the say way about it.