General Yuzuru Chat

I did get the feeling especially during SOI that Yuzu was testing waters with his SP style to see how well the audience would receive it. During the opening he channelled LMEY and later performed LGC. As I've said before, I wouldn't even rule out that he was maybe considering recycling LGC.

He probably does know that he gets scored well with piano pieces but I think he is also aware that Nate also gets praised for his 'modern' program styles that somehow appeal to the judges, so perhaps he was using this season as an opportunity for experimenting this rocker style before actually deciding on a program next season. Anyway, all this is just the feeling I get from watching him.

Guest Mary_kyo

To be very very honest, I have a bit of conflicting feelings about DOI.

Well, SOI ended well both for skaters and the audience (based on infection figures) and Hachinohe locals were specifically grateful at the end. I have recently seen the story of a japanese girl with chronic illness who endured fighting for a year merely with the hope of seeing him in SOI (as she had a ticket). I don’t know, maybe he affects people’s lives more than I guessed.

Anyway, I just hope this one also goes well and everyone (including Yuzu himself) leaves healthy with happy heart. I have to confess that I miss his skating a lot. Apologies for the rambling 

Guest Mary_kyo

Btw, is DOI going to be the place where the dreams come true….:scratch3:

Should I anticipate 4A attempts?… Didn’t he try it in public for the first time in DOI six years ago? I’m curious about the song he is going to skate to, maybe his new SP :panic:

Seeing that Rockstar Yuzu video really caught my attention because yesterday I watched this walking tour of Tokyo which went into an area of Tokyo where there were a number of very large portraits of J-pop singers, some female, most male and looking at those images of perfectly gorgeous post-adolescents I thought Yuzu's face could easily be up there and he'd be far from being the worst looking in the lot.  It reminds me of an article I read about Yuzu in which the writer characterized Yuzu's appearance as 'boy-band good looks'.  He couldn't have spoken more truly although I have a feeling that none of those various sexy young men have any where's near the expressivity that we see in the Rockstar video.

Which brings me to a second point.  What will Yuzu do for a short program this coming season?  I really think he might recycle either LGC or PW, with PW being the one I most favor.  After all it was in one way Yuzu's most successful SP since he set four world records with it.  If he added a couple quads it'd be perfect and as they say, 'third time's the charm'.

Then a third point, one which I've dealt with in an earlier post - Might Yuzu be the one to light the cauldron at the opening ceremonies of the Tokyo games this summer?  While I don't think it probable I do think it possible.  Why?  Well, these games have been bedeviled by the pandemic and there are many in Japan who think they should be again postponed or even just canceled.  The organizers need something to turn back much of that negative feeling and the most obvious way to do that is to have someone light the cauldron who'd be able to incite enthusiasm in the Japanese public for the games.  Yuzu is the most popular athlete in any sport in Japan and his followers have an intensity that matches that of the followers of many of the various top rock singers in Japan.  Looking at those who might be chosen, well, the obvious first choice, in my view, Kohei Ichimura is out since he is competing, although in only one discipline.  The only impediment for choosing Yuzu is that he is still active as an athlete but a balancing factor is that he has a widespread following well outside of Japan and thus for many of those watching the opening ceremonies on TV outside Japan his presence would create a continuing interest in the games as a whole, thus improving ratings.  We also have to consider that Yuzu's standing in Japan is only partially predicated on his athletic achievements but also for many of those not really interested in figure skating but attracted by his public involvement with post 3/11 recovery efforts.  In short, Yuzu is seen in Japan not only as a great skater but as a great human being, one possessing moral qualities of the highest order.  I think we all must find it remarkable, knowing Yuzu as we do, that for an individual with such a high public visibility in Japan there has never been even the slightest hint of scandal in his life.  If there was the tabloids would have found it.  They haven't, which means that he is actually the saint he appears to be.  'Nough said.

1 hour ago, micaelis said:

Seeing that Rockstar Yuzu video really caught my attention because yesterday I watched this walking tour of Tokyo which went into an area of Tokyo where there were a number of very large portraits of J-pop singers, some female, most male and looking at those images of perfectly gorgeous post-adolescents I thought Yuzu's face could easily be up there and he'd be far from being the worst looking in the lot.  It reminds me of an article I read about Yuzu in which the writer characterized Yuzu's appearance as 'boy-band good looks'.  He couldn't have spoken more truly although I have a feeling that none of those various sexy young men have any where's near the expressivity that we see in the Rockstar video.

Which brings me to a second point.  What will Yuzu do for a short program this coming season?  I really think he might recycle either LGC or PW, with PW being the one I most favor.  After all it was in one way Yuzu's most successful SP since he set four world records with it.  If he added a couple quads it'd be perfect and as they say, 'third time's the charm'.

Then a third point, one which I've dealt with in an earlier post - Might Yuzu be the one to light the cauldron at the opening ceremonies of the Tokyo games this summer? 

I certainly agree that Yuzu would fit right in with any J-Pop star, I could definitely see him as an idol star! I think there was even a controversy around the end of the 2018 Olympics where a Japanese idol in a Korean group (I think it was one in Iz*One?) where she had posted a photos of Yuzu on her Instagram and that got some of her fans mad (pretty sure she was saying he was handsome and supported him during the Olympics). Dumb controversy, but clearly some idols are aware of Yuzu (and his handsomeness) 

As for his SP for the Olympics I think it's very likely he will be convinced to use piano music because that's what the ISU and American media has pigeonholed him for. If he does a more rock/modern program he won't get as high marks since it'll be seen as "copying Nathan" or "outside his wheelhouse". I really hope he just says f**k it, and does LGC. That program is so fast, such an audience pleaser, plus, if he does go for the 4A I think that program has the best axel punch! 

On the third point I do not think Yuzu will light the cauldron (if the Olympics still go on). Usually it is an athlete, famous for a summer sport, that lights the cauldron for the summer Olympics. Think in 2018 with Yuna Kim lighting the cauldron, she brought the Winter Olympics to Korea. But I do think Yuzu could be the final torch runner who hands it off to whoever lights the cauldron. I think there's a good argument that Yuzu's success at the Winter Games led to more Olympic excitement for Japan (unfortunately not with COVID but still...) In some ways I do think Yuzu's popularity will help smooth some areas over, but really, the Olympics are going to be a mess this year. 

1 hour ago, KendallKlaire said:

As for his SP for the Olympics I think it's very likely he will be convinced to use piano music because that's what the ISU and American media has pigeonholed him for. If he does a more rock/modern program he won't get as high marks since it'll be seen as "copying Nathan" or "outside his wheelhouse". I really hope he just says f**k it, and does LGC. That program is so fast, such an audience pleaser, plus, if he does go for the 4A I think that program has the best axel punch! 

1. I don't think that Yuzu gives a damn about what some unimportant people say about him. Whatever music he picks, these ungrateful sh*theads will always find something to mock him for. It's a waste of time and effort to listen to them. If Yuzu really cared about the opinion of international media and fans, he would drop TenChi after all the negative backclash, but he obviously doesn't. So I don't see, why he should listen to anyone regarding his SP choice.

2. I had the impression that LMEY received universal praise from many commentators, experts and fans. Some even said, Stockholm LMEY was the best SP he has ever skated in his life, that it was super entertaining and a completely new refreshing side of him (yes those comments were a successful PW and LGC ereasue, but hey - not a criticism at least).

I'm confident that whatever music Yuzu picks for the Olympics, it will definitely not depend on the public's opinion. For him it's always been the main drive to pick a music piece that fits his style, that means something to him and he himself feels happy and comfortable with. I don't think that this attitude will change.

Footnote: I don't think that his scores will go up, if he picks a piano piece again. They have gone downhill continuously since Barcelona 2015. About 0.5 less from season to season and he had a good mix of upbeat, drama, piano and Japanese music. They just try to justify the shit they throw at him, but it has nothing to do with the music really.