General Yuzuru Chat

On 5/6/2021 at 12:36 AM, Paskud said:

JSF White Wall Video where Zu went through his old programs was actually THE WORST part of past year, because he left out Hana ni Nare and there are some things in this world that are unforgivable and onE OF THEM IS MISTER HANYU AVOIDING HANA NI NARE:tumblr_m9ranru0Dx1qdlkyg:

But he made up for it by bringing Hana back to the ice...

12 hours ago, Henni147 said:

So there was another proposal at the latest ISU congress again to raise the minimum age limit for senior competitions.

I have to quote the reasoning, because it makes my skin crawl:

"Since 1994 four different Olympic champions in ladies figure skating were 15, 16 or 17 years old when earning their title (1994, 1998, 2002 and 2014). Neither of the champions were participating the following season at the World Figure Skating Championships. There is an immense pressure on the skaters on a top senior level and to debut on senior level at 15 years old does not seem to motivate them to have a long career in the sport. Our sport should facilitate rules and competition environment that support the possibility of a long lasting career. [...]

To catch media and the audience interest, our sport needs profiled athletes that can promote the sport in a positive way over a longer period of time. Younger skaters are pushed to perform difficult technical elements to be able to compete against the more experienced and older skaters with better program component skills. As the skaters grow older and the mentality, body and technical abilities change, it is hard to maintain the same difficult technical level."

Source: https://twitter.com/FedUpLys/status/1389980092231782413

There you have

• a reigning two-time Olympic champion
  • a megastar with record following worldwide
  • a mature adult skater with loads of experience and polished skills
  • who still competes after 11 senior seasons
  • who still grows technically at the age of 26 and strives for a friggin' quad Axel
  • and who popularizes figure skating even in the most remote places of this planet, where people have never even seen ice and snow before.

This skater literally fulfills all their "wishes" listed above and what do they do? Do their utmost to rob, discourage and humiliate him, to push him out of the sport and belittle his achievements. And all that because he doesn't have the right passport.

Seriously. It blows my mind that every ISU congress and webinar asks exactly for those things that Yuzuru Hanyu 100% embodies with his skating, art and persona. But when it's about medals and PR, they treat him like garbage. It's maddening.

More to the point, they should be raising the age to help protect kids from possible exploitation and abuse. It makes utterly no sense to have 15-year-olds competing with grown adults when the social milieu around the sport lends itself so easily to predation. Let the 15-19 age group be in one set of competitions and the adults in another, never crossing paths. 

But of course the ISU would never propose an age raise for that reason - that would mean admitting there's a problem. 

And yes, I realize that coaches and others are also a problem,  but separating the younger ones out is at least a start. 

This proposal from ISU makes it sound like they're trying to come up with a plan to recreate the Yuzu effect again and again. Good luck with that. 

Actually, you know what was the best part of last year? That Zu looked relaxed and healthy af. He gained so much muscle mass and it's the best he looked since 2017. It hurt af when 2 years ago he said that he is losing height on jumps. And now he was overrotating this 4lo.🙀

And whatever burden was eating him from inside in 2019, it's clearly gone. No more unjustified praises for other medalists or self-deprecating comments. Just pure focus on his goal.:img_21:

7 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

More to the point, they should be raising the age to help protect kids from possible exploitation and abuse. It makes utterly no sense to have 15-year-olds competing with grown adults when the social milieu around the sport lends itself so easily to predation. Let the 15-19 age group be in one set of competitions and the adults in another, never crossing paths. 

As if figure skating was the only sport with teenager champions.:huh:

2 hours ago, Paskud said:

No? Hana wa Saku and Hana ni Nare are two completely different programs. Who cares if both have flower in title?:huh:

The gut of him to practice Hana ni Nare's 3A, only to put out Hana wa Saku (and never even went back to perform the former...)

12 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

But of course the ISU would never propose an age raise for that reason - that would mean admitting there's a problem. 

And yes, I realize that coaches and others are also a problem,  but separating the younger ones out is at least a start. 

This proposal from ISU makes it sound like they're trying to come up with a plan to recreate the Yuzu effect again and again. Good luck with that. 

Lol, if 19 year olds can't compete then the events are gonna be extremely boring. I'm pretty sure skaters would just give up before even turning senior, I mean most of them want a chance to go to university and live normal lives, too. I dont think they want to be stuck in juniors for 19 years of their lives before being able to compete.

14 hours ago, Paskud said:

No? Hana wa Saku and Hana ni Nare are two completely different programs. Who cares if both have flower in title?:huh:

right, my bad.

13 hours ago, Paskud said:

As if figure skating was the only sport with teenager champions.:huh:

11 hours ago, Melodie said:

Yeah, I mean, when talking about teenager champions, I think of gymnastics before figure skating LOL. But which one is worse? 

I don't approve of it in other sports either

8 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Lol, if 19 year olds can't compete then the events are gonna be extremely boring. I'm pretty sure skaters would just give up before even turning senior, I mean most of them want a chance to go to university and live normal lives, too. I dont think they want to be stuck in juniors for 19 years of their lives before being able to compete.

well I don't think the answer is to let the little kids compete alongside grown adults either. There's a world of difference in maturity between 15 and 19...or even 18.