General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Umebachi said:

Yuzu has selected a field that is extremely under-represented.  In an earlier interview, he noted how little research there is on figure skating compared to other sports.  His research is among the first in this area, and there is not much competition in terms of being "scooped" academically - especially when you are among the path-breakers.  Also, Yuzu is not publishing for tenure, so the usual "publish or perish" paradigm is obviously not relevant here.  He is interested in open source type of research - sharing widely to encourage the expansion of the field and inviting MORE competition. 

Finally, among the Japanese academics, there is huge surprise to see an undergraduate thesis of this calibre.  I think it is quite rare to get a ground-breaking research done at the undergrad level in the USA because the curriculum is generally geared toward liberal/broad education and less specialized at that stage (I am Japanese but did my BA and PhD in USA).  It's probably the same in Japan (this is a conjecture on my part).   But Waseda's Human Sciences department seems to be quite an innovative group, as they are tackling a new area of scientific research and taking a multidisciplinary approach to problem solving.   

As a retiree, I have the pleasure and privilege of starting to educate myself in this area and am amazed at the enormous progress being made in this field.  There is a marvelous convergence of neuroscience, behavioral sciences and harnessing of technology to enhance research.  In the sports field, I do expect Yuzu to continue his research and will likely make further contributions.  His undergrad thesis is just the first small step in that direction!

Thanks for sharing your experience from the both worlds, it is surely interesting to know the differences. While there is definitely "publish or perish" strategy in general but most academia are in the high-quality publish side. The competition does not come from the fear of tenure but the fact that providing funding, including salaries of students, postdocs, equipment, basically everything, solely lies on the PI. Funding can come from numerous sources like Department of Energy, Department of Defense, National Science Foundation,..., so basically the sources and amount that you can get is unlimited. However, you need a very good publication record for your proposal being funded. If you are not able to provide funding mostly in your first two years it is not only you but the livelihood of your whole group that is in jeopardy.

Definitely, I agree that Yuzu's field is not as crowded as in Chemistry or Physics so no fear of being scooped there!

2 hours ago, LadyLou said:

By they way, if you remember in which Ghana(?) video Yuzu said something along the lines "probably there are many people worrying for me"

I have a still picture saved in my phone for those times lol but I went to find the actual source. It was from Axel with Wings!

5 hours ago, Umebachi said:

Please note that this article covers only the first part of his thesis, which comprised three parts. Yuzu might be going for 2 more articles to cover the other parts of his thesis.  (This is a common practice in academic research.)   I would not want to have an incomplete package to ISU, if one aims to be truly effective in messaging.  The timing is extremely important.  

It also wouldn't surprise me if he is going to do another paper or thesis with all the research he does. He seems to love to research and analyse.

Maybe he will cover further topics around figure skating with another work someday..........who knows.

12 hours ago, yumeaki said:

Oooh... 4th Anniversary... 4A...  :hihi:

Indeed! :67638860:

Everything is in his calculations... :war:

And so it shall be that Yuzuru Hanyu lands the first ratified 4A after his home planet has had its fourth anniversary. First Planet Hanyu 4A and then Yuzu 4A. :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

2 hours ago, barbara said:

On the occasion of the 4th anniversary of the Planet, I oddly just received an email from Golden Skate asking me to vote on something to do with "reading the Nationals" threads. I haven't even clicked on them in years, so it seems very odd....

I received the same thing from Golden Skate.  It is really odd since I haven't posted there since before the Planet was started.  Wonder what's up---they are losing their readership?

Hello all,

For those interested, I turned the above translation into pdf format for easier reading. Enjoy! :puddingpooh:

Side note: I printed my own copy of this translation, and as I was stapling it, I realized that this was my first fanyu "merch" ever, since I've been too broke and too cheap to buy any and too unlucky for free giveaways :roll: Never would've thought that I'd be eagerly reading an academic paper as part of any fandom. Just another part of the fanyu experience, I suppose :LOL:

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

The Japanese National Veterinary and Life Sciences Library encouraged students during this pandemic period to access their university's repositories of theses and treatises.  They specifically gave examples of Yuzu's special article in Waseda Uni journal and Tatsuki Machida's doctoral thesis.  Now we will have vets and future vets of Japan reading about the ISU scoring issues.  Very important for the well being of animals in Japan. 

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

The Japanese National Veterinary and Life Sciences Library encouraged students during this pandemic period to access their university's repositories of theses and treatises.  They specifically gave examples of Yuzu's special article in Waseda Uni journal and Tatsuki Machida's doctoral thesis.  Now we will have vets and future vets of Japan reading about the ISU scoring issues.  Very important for the well being of animals in Japan. 

To treat cats, one must understand and study about cat's brain :kitty:

Well, there do seem to be a number of cats devoted to watching Yuzu... so perhaps if the vets take an interest they can better relate to their clients... or something :68468287: 

21 hours ago, Henni147 said:

... To be successful, the right timing is absolutely crucial now. Yuzu has not worked 5 hard years on this thesis to leave with empty hands. I bet my salary that he has a plan in the bag himself already, a much better one than any of us could possibly think of. That's why I think that it would be smarter to wait with any sort of actions this time, at least until the Olympics.

Russian media didn't even need a day to react to his thesis and I'm sure that a lot more voices will follow very soon, especially in the long drought during the upcoming off-season. I give them less than 2-3 months and the sharks in the pool will eat each other up and dig their own graves. I bet my salary on that.

20 hours ago, Faithyu said:

That's exactly what I think as well. Both on the subject of timing and that Yuzu probably has his own plan.

If one wants to start some kind of initiative, I think waiting until Yuzu isn't actively skating anymore would be best.....but I also believe he has his own long-term plan. 

He likes to plan and calculates everything he does, so its not a far fetched thought that he has a bigger agenda up his sleeve.

I also agree that timing is crucial. Since it seems that ISU is pretty much free to do as they please without much accountability (other than to the big Feds I guess), people have recommended appealing to the IOC. However, the IOC is currently up to their eyeballs dealing with the impact of COVID on the Olympics, so they are not going to have time to be concerned about scoring issues related to a single sport.

ISU knows Yuzu is their cash cow, but they will also do whatever it takes to hold on to their jobs and their power. If they think Yuzu or his fans endanger that, I have no doubt in my mind that they won't hesitate to do everything in their power to push him out. It's fanyus that are making them look bad: pointing out the scoring issues, calling out the inadequate bubble for Worlds, complaining about the Skating Awards, etc. We're giving them bad PR at every turn, and at a certain point, they may think that having Yuzu around is more trouble than it's worth. If they get rid of Yuzu, a lot of his fans will go with him, and then no more bad PR for the ISU, or at least it will be greatly reduced.

It would be different if Yuzu at least has JSF support, but he doesn't, and the AI scoring/scoring reforms endanger their ability to play regional politics as well.

Ngl, I don't feel comfortable doing this sort of thing while Yuzu is still competing. As long as he wants to compete (even with lowball scores and stuff), I want him to have that chance. I don't want anything we do to screw up his plans and what he wants to do.