General Yuzuru Chat

10 hours ago, senemgencer said:

A big thank you for everyone who has contributed to my idea. My approach is to go the constructive way, just like Yuzuru's: "There is a problem here, it is possibly caused by human error and here is a feasibility study that suggests some good ideas and solutions on the matter."

Martina has created some very useful stats which can be used to support my approach. I have no intention to accuse ISU, because it will bore no fruits. 

2 weeks ago I had a meeting with a PR agent here about how one could lobby against ISU and he gave me some very valuable advice. Attacking is NOT one of them.  

I am planing to chat with a retired skater who has participated to European Championships (in top ten) and to some who is at the board of "Art on Ice" Show. I think once I collect these data and different approaches,  I can be able to construct a well structured report. 

"This will change nothing" is what comes to mind and all my efforts may perhaps mean nothing, but even if there is a slight chance to make judges realise that our patience is lacking and if they don't change, FS will change for worse, I want to take this chance. 

Please keep all your ideas and criticism coming, I appreciate them all 

Thank you 

I don't know if I understand it all right, but, if you ask me, I would never do this without Yuzu's permission. You don't know if he would agree and if not, he can't do anything against this. Even if ISU knows this does not happen in order of him, it is his thesis and it will maybe left a "bad taste" at ISU. Besides this I am sure ISU already knows about the thesis. It has a bit of blackmailing the ISU, like, if you do not change the scoring, all the Fanyus will not watch FS anymore. I think it will not be to Yuzus advantage and I personally feel very uncomfortable with this as a fan of him. This action maybe leads Yuzu in a position to applogize and explain himself at the ISU and that's not what we all want for him. Maybe this action goes completely the wrong way. You do not know what Yuzu is doing/planing  by himself. Please think about it again :)

11 minutes ago, Yuli said:

I don't know if I understand it all right, but, if you ask me, I would never do this without Yuzu's permission. You don't know if he would agree and if not, he can't do anything against this. Even if ISU knows this does not happen in order of him, it is his thesis and it will maybe left a "bad taste" at ISU. Besides this I am sure ISU already knows about the thesis. It has a bit of blackmailing the ISU, like, if you do not change the scoring, all the Fanyus will not watch FS anymore. I think it will not be to Yuzus advantage and I personally feel very uncomfortable with this as a fan of him. This action maybe leads Yuzu in a position to applogize and explain himself at the ISU and that's not what we all want for him. Maybe this action goes completely the wrong way. You do not know what Yuzu is doing/planing  by himself. Please think about it again :)

"You have not understand it all right" as you say :) There are different ways of approaching a problem. One way is pointing out the finger at ISU and say "You are wrong and bad. You are treating my favorite skater badly as well and I am not playing with you anymore" which brings noone to nowhere. It just creates more problems for everyone, including me. 

The other way is saying "Look, there is a problem here which both some skaters and the audience feel uncomfortable with. Here are some suggestions to your consideration, backed with some stats, a feasibility study and some expert views. Please consider them as comments from people who like FS and want it to access to a broader audience." Do you think that it will not solve the problem? I agree, it won't. But it will make people think. Question their status. This is how change starts. Nothing happens when we do nothing but noise in our virtual worlds. 

FYI, I am a Campaign Manager who has lead many projects against and with the "authorities". My attitude in life is "if you see a problem and you continiously complain about it without doing anything to change the situation or your own situation, then you are a part of the problem". Yuzuru has done his share of work to change the situation at the risk of receiving many controversary and reactions. His thesis is out there, open to public access, therefore nobody needs his permision to use it , this is basic academia practice. All you are obliged to do is to use citations when you use a part of his work. 

I hope I have been able to answer some of your concerns.

While we are celebrating the 4th anniversary of the group, I wanted to share some videos from On Ice Perspectives, a YouTube channel which I really like:

My favorite video (maybe because it also mentions my Winnie the Pooh campaign) :)

A video where he looks stunning in his UA (as always) while skating to one of my favorite programmes 

Simple, short, yet I love it 

Don't let the title mislead you, it is like 60% Yuzuru :)

"The Reign of Pooh" needs special care from Fanyus, it is a clear manifestation of our admiration for this gorgeous human. 

2 hours ago, senemgencer said:

The other way is saying "Look, there is a problem here which both some skaters and the audience feel uncomfortable with. Here are some suggestions to your consideration, backed with some stats, a feasibility study and some expert views. Please consider them as comments from people who like FS and want it to access to a broader audience." Do you think that it will not solve the problem? I agree, it won't. But it will make people think. Question their status. This is how change starts. Nothing happens when we do nothing but noise in our virtual worlds. 

My personal take on this issue:

From the ISU's and big feds' point of view, Yuzu's thesis is like a ticking time bomb, levitating above their heads and ready to crash their beloved card house of political power plays at any given moment. I'm 100% sure that the ISU and every single official is fully aware of Yuzu's work and wishes to burn it with wildfire, if they could. They have absolutely 0 intention to implement it in the judging procedure any time soon. No matter how friendly we serve the dish.

(EDIT: I'm not even sure, if the thesis is not one of the reasons, why Yuzu's scores are in free fall now and so many journalists try so desperately to discredit him. The thesis is a serious threat to many people in charge.)

Remember that the IceScope was introduced in 2018, they even used it in the official broadcast during Saitama Worlds. Has the ISU shown the slightest intention to implement the technology in the scoring system? No. On the contrary, it disappeared from international broadcast entirely. You only get it on Japanese Fuji TV at the moment, if I remember correctly.

To be successful, the right timing is absolutely crucial now. Yuzu has not worked 5 hard years on this thesis to leave with empty hands. I bet my salary that he has a plan in the bag himself already, a much better one than any of us could possibly think of. That's why I think that it would be smarter to wait with any sort of actions this time, at least until the Olympics.

Russian media didn't even need a day to react to his thesis and I'm sure that a lot more voices will follow very soon, especially in the long drought during the upcoming off-season. I give them less than 2-3 months and the sharks in the pool will eat each other up and dig their own graves. I bet my salary on that.

26 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

From the ISU's and big feds' point of view, Yuzu's thesis is like a ticking time bomb, levitating above their heads and ready to crash their beloved card house of political power plays at any given moment. I'm 100% sure that the ISU and every single official is fully aware of Yuzu's work and wishes to burn it with wildfire, if they could. They have absolutely 0 intention to implement it in the judging procedure any time soon. No matter how friendly we serve the dish.

(EDIT: I'm not even sure, if the thesis is not the main reason, why Yuzu's scores are in free fall now and so many journalists try so desperately to discredit him. The thesis is a serious threat to many people in charge.)

Remember that the IceScope was introduced in 2018, they even used it in the official broadcast during Saitama Worlds. Has the ISU shown the slightest intention to implement the technology in the scoring system? No. On the contrary, it disappeared from international broadcast entirely. You only get it on Japanese Fuji TV at the moment, if I remember correctly.

To be successful, the right timing is absolutely crucial now. Yuzu has not worked 5 hard years on this thesis to leave with empty hands. I bet my salary that he has a plan in the bag himself already, a much better one than any of us could possibly think of. That's why I think that it would be smarter to wait with any sort of actions this time, at least until the Olympics.

Russian media didn't even need a day to react to his thesis and I'm sure that a lot more voices will follow very soon, especially in the long drought during the upcoming off-season. I give them less than 2-3 months and the sharks in the pool will eat each other up and dig their own graves. I bet my salary on that.

This!

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

(EDIT: I'm not even sure, if the thesis is not one of the reasons, why Yuzu's scores are in free fall now and so many journalists try so desperately to discredit him. The thesis is a serious threat to many people in charge.)

That's exactly what I think as well. Both on the subject of timing and that Yuzu probably has his own plan.

If one wants to start some kind of initiative, I think waiting until Yuzu isn't actively skating anymore would be best.....but I also believe he has his own long-term plan. 

He likes to plan and calculates everything he does, so its not a far fetched thought that he has a bigger agenda up his sleeve.

:gla:

Oh wow  Happy 4th birthday  everyone!!!  :10815002:

Hopefully the new year will bring  about new, better change for all of us!!

On the Thesis/article topic, it sure has generated massive interests.. while not all are in positive sentiment, I still have hope that eventually, what he's dreaming, aiming to achieve for the sport will come to fruition in one way or another. IF there is only ONE person that's able to do it right, then may he be guided to reach it.

Quoting a famous quote from a movie, which seems pretty appt for Yuzu: Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye, and say 'No, you move'.

2 hours ago, dreamelena said:

On the Thesis/article topic, it sure has generated massive interests.. while not all are in positive sentiment, I still have hope that eventually, what he's dreaming, aiming to achieve for the sport will come to fruition in one way or another. IF there is only ONE person that's able to do it right, then may he be guided to reach it.

Quoting a famous quote from a movie, which seems pretty appt for Yuzu: Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye, and say 'No, you move'.

Yes.

I always have to think of Dick Button's words in that NHK documentary:

"The skaters in this era don't have enough spirit to change the skating world. Bound by narrow rules and scoring, there are really no skaters who want to try new techniques."

The narrator of the documentary responded that Hanyu is different, because he brought up new techniques like the quad Loop.

I say, yes. Yuzu is different, but not because of stuff like the quad Loop in the first place. That jump just fits in the narrow rules of the current system and you profit to have a jump like that in your arsenal (even if the BV should be higher).

I think, what Dick Button meant back in 2019 is exactly Yuzu's spirit to take REAL risks and change the landscape of figure skating in its core. Among these risks are:

• do continuous complex transitioning even with the hardest technical elements to maintain the balance of tech and art (now he wants to go for a 4A from steps - bonkers)
  • go for jumps that lower his score for the sake of firsts, spectacle, diversity and art like the 4T+3A sequence or the 3A+2T -> 3Lo cluster in TenChi
  • bring back the same music over a span of many years and remaster the choreo from season to season until perfection (as a countermovement to the new trend of throw-away programs)
  • break with the western-centric traditions and stereotypes: use Japanese themed music, wear sparky and frilly costumes etc.
  • go on with competing after multiple Olympic titles for the sake of longevity, maturity, growth and new challenges (as another countermovement to the trend of shorter skating careers)
  • develop feasable measurement tools for more objective and fair scoring and improvement of training environments

You can see how much influence Yuzu's skating on competitive skating really has, if you take a closer look at all the rule changes in recent years:

• limit the number of quad repetitions
  • reduce the reward for backloaded jumps
  • change the base values and GOE scales for technical elements
  • introduce PCS caps
  • [suggestion] to replace the short and free program by a technical and artistic program

I bet that at least 70-80% of all these changes happened or may happen in the near future because of his presence and with the aim to bring him down. This is the real power and impact of Yuzuru Hanyu.