General Yuzuru Chat

16 minutes ago, barbara said:

I love how the Abstract (generally the most difficult paragraph of a scientific thesis or dissertation) pretty much tells you everything about his thesis.  All the rest of it will be what he was trying to look for, how he went about finding out what he was trying to find out, and what he did find out.  What, why and how.  He's going to change scoring forever (and it needs changing....)

It seems his thesis is published in a journal :) 

We should be able to read it sooner or later :)

I'm so, so proud of Yuzu :knc_brian1:

1 hour ago, Melodie said:

I'm typing it out here, yeah?

:) 

A feasibility study on utilization in figure skating by a wireless inertia sensor motion capture system 

By Yuzuru Hanyu

Summary: The wireless inertia sensor-type motion capture does not interfere with the operation of the device wearer. As a result of the experiment, it became clear that when jumping figure skating on the skating rink, the position of each joint can be accurately obtained. In addition, by analyzing the skeleton, it is possible to identify the center of gravity and the contact points (where the pressure increases on the ground and the (?) where it is installed, and the jump strictly follows the rules. It was possible to quantitatively clarify whether the jump was strictly according to the rules. 

Plot twist: it’s the device on Yuzu’s chest during training session. He’s been his own test subject all these years.

thanks for bringing it over!

1 hour ago, Melodie said:

A feasibility study on utilization in figure skating by a wireless inertia sensor motion capture system 

By Yuzuru Hanyu

Summary: The wireless inertia sensor-type motion capture does not interfere with the operation of the device wearer. As a result of the experiment, it became clear that when jumping figure skating on the skating rink, the position of each joint can be accurately obtained. In addition, by analyzing the skeleton, it is possible to identify the center of gravity and the contact points (where the pressure increases on the ground and the (?) where it is installed, and the jump strictly follows the rules. It was possible to quantitatively clarify whether the jump was strictly according to the rules. 

I wonder how the western media will react to this. How more dedicated can a figure skater be to this sport?

3 hours ago, Melodie said:

I was gonna post this, and would love to have some confirmation from the satellites who are fluent in Japanese. Anyway, yes, I also have a feeling he really went off with his thesis, and rightfully so :sipping:(remind me of Javi LOL).

Raf, Eteri, Hamada and other like-minded coaches, he is talking to you :sipping:

PS: I edited a bit since I found the summary for his thesis :) 

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
2 hours ago, Melodie said:

By Yuzuru Hanyu

Thank you!

God, this is interesting. It's such a brilliant idea, even if it'll probably not get implemented, at least not in a long while with ISU being what it is. 

He's so incredibly intelligent, he has so much love for this sport, he's so dedicated to making it better in any way he can. I'm just in awe of him. 

I'm also wondering who I would have to bribe to get access to the thesis. This is exactly my shit and I'm dying to read it.

yeah I'd be interested in reading it too

*having flashbacks to arguments with people denying excessive pre-rotation is a thing* it's a sport. someone who is rotating 3.5 revolutions in the air is not doing the same thing as someone who is rotating 4 so shouldn't get the same credit ARGH

48 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

Thank you!

God, this is interesting. It's such a brilliant idea, even if it'll probably not get implemented, at least not in a long while with ISU being what it is. 

He's so incredibly intelligent, he has so much love for this sport, he's so dedicated to making it better in any way he can. I'm just in awe of him. 

I'm also wondering who I would have to bribe to get access to the thesis. This is exactly my shit and I'm dying to read it.

You are welcome :)

For your question, this might be of help.

Seriously, Yuzu just keeps amazing me even off the ice. He's just so wonderful and smart and incredible in every way. Sometimes I really wonder if he's from another planet for real.

If he were a fictional character, I'd actually say that the writer needs to make him less perfect to make him more human and relatable. Even a superhero needs to have a few weaknesses and flaws. This is probably why he sucks at swimming, driving and bicycle riding. :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

1 hour ago, shanshani said:

yeah I'd be interested in reading it too

*having flashbacks to arguments with people denying excessive pre-rotation is a thing* it's a sport. someone who is rotating 3.5 revolutions in the air is not doing the same thing as someone who is rotating 4 so shouldn't get the same credit ARGH

I should like particularly all antis, who will undoubtedly gloat at the word "anger", to notice judges' leniency towards excessive prerotation is maybe the flaw which had never affected his own placements/medals. For instance, until this very season (and his thesis was already submitted and accepted), Nathan Chen has never had excessive prerotation. A bit more than Yuzuru Hanyu himself, but I've read repeatedly that, contrary to this tabloid assertions, a 1/4 turn prerotation, like Nathan Chen's, is perfectly acceptable, and indeed the post-2018 rule book writes that only a "clear forward" (most jumps) or a "clear backward" (Axel) take-off has to be called.

So basically, he chose an example he was personally not a victim of. The noble knight flying to the rescue of Princess Rika or Princess Alyona if you want. ;-) (Or a three-year-after "avenging" of Javier Fernández' Bronze instead of Silver but I much doubt it. In fact I think he just chose the very flaw which lack of detection didn't affect him personally.)

3 hours ago, CiONTUw4A said:

I wonder how the western media will react to this. How more dedicated can a figure skater be to this sport?

The usual: casual indifference, pretend it doesnt exist, micro aggression, continue to down play his achievements-have you heard of N*than?