General Yuzuru Chat

I once and for all have to say:

NO. It's not western people, who are unable to understand and appreciate Japanese music pieces.

We have the Swedish, the Greek, the German, the Spanish, the Italian, the Hungarian and now the Czech commentators, who are able to talk respectfully about Yuzu and TAKE the time to research information:

As we can see, it is possible to comment on Yuzu's performances without mentioning NC in every second sentence.

Also, the Czech fellows know that Hana wa saku is dedicated to the victims of 3-11 and also what the lyrics mean.

They even mention the quad Axel as something that may be bigger than an Olympic gold and change figure skating in the future.

This is all I expect from professional commentators. They don't have to praise Yuzu to the skies. It's totally enough to simply appreciate what he offers to us and not compare him to others all the time. Figure skating is not only about winning and losing after all.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

Great news!!

Stockholm LMEY has become the most viewed winter sport clip on German ARD's Sportschau channel on YouTube! It has surpassed 700 K views already and moved up to 14th place in total! In the current top 15 of the channel we have 12 clips about soccer, one about athletics and big-wave riding... and yeah, Yuzu! Congrats!

Little background: The ARD Sportschau is the main sports broadcaster on German television, focusing on sports where German athletes used to be very successful like soccer, athletics, swimming, handball, biathlon, ski jumping, nordic combined, bobsleigh and luge. Figure skating has pretty much died with Katarina Witt's retirement. There was a little rise in interest after Aljona's and Bruno's victory in Pyeongchang, but that dropped again quite quickly. To have Yuzu with so many clicks on a German channel is something very special.

Footnote: NC's freeskate has passed 200 K views.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
22 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Great news!!

Stockholm LMEY has become the most viewed winter sport clip on German ARD's Sportschau channel on YouTube! It has surpassed 700 K views already and moved up to 14th place in total! In the current top 15 we have 12 clips about soccer, one about athletics and big-wave riding... and yeah, Yuzu! Congrats!

Little background: The ARD Sportschau is the main sports broadcaster on German television, focusing on sports where German athletes used to be very successful like soccer, athletics, swimming, handball, biathlon, ski jumping, nordic combined, bobsleigh and luge. Figure skating has pretty much died with Katarina Witt's retirement. There was a little raise in interest after Aljona's and Bruno's victory in Pyeongchang, but that dropped again quite quickly. To have Yuzu with so many clicks on a German channel is something very special.

Thank you for sharing this! This is amazing! :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

Yuzu has far surpassed the "sport" of figure skating. He's a star all over the world. I'd say in many places interest in him is greater than in figure skating itself. Many people only started to watch figure skating because of him.

A few weeks ago I talked to a friend of mine who lives in Luxembourg and we asked each other what we've been up to. I told her that I was watching the figure skating World Championships. Before I could even start talking about Yuzu, she (who is not a skating fan and only heard of Yuzu because of me) told me that she was up to date because friends of hers were sending around links and videos of Yuzu's LMEY performance and talking about how amazing he was. And neither one of them is a skating fan or watched skating before.

This is what Yuzu can do. This is his power. Most people know and realize it when they see something amazing that touches them and makes an impression on them. And the only one who can reach and touch people across all borders, languages and cultures is Yuzu. :softYuzu:

23 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

Thank you for sharing this! This is amazing! :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

Yuzu has far surpassed the "sport" of figure skating. He's a star all over the world. I'd say in many places interest in him is greater than in figure skating itself. Many people only started to watch figure skating because of him.

A few weeks ago I talked to a friend of mine who lives in Luxembourg and we asked each other what we've been up to. I told her that I was watching the figure skating World Championships. Before I could even start talking about Yuzu, she (who is not a skating fan and only heard of Yuzu because of me) told me that she was up tp date because friends of hers were sending around links and videos of Yuzu's LMEY performance and talking about how amazing he was. And neither one of them is a skating fan or watched skating before.

This is what Yuzu can do. This is his power. Most people know and realize it when they see something amazing that touches them and makes an impression on them. And the only one who can reach and touch people across all borders, languages and cultures is Yuzu. :softYuzu:

Yes, I experienced similar stories myself.

Like, my family in Hungary was watching Worlds in Stockholm, too. They haven't followed FS since the 80's, but my aunt knew that I really like Yuzu and she was curious. My uncle is not into skating at all, but his reaction to LMEY was like: "Wow, that last jump was right on the note! Bang! And all those kneeslides and gliding moves are so cool! The fist punches in the final spin, too!"

None of those features have a BV, but they seem to be the most exciting and attracting for casual viewers and that's why Yuzu is so beloved. He's not only skating for points and placements. He wants to get the people. Not only the self-declared "skating fans" but everyone and make figure skating popular outside the long-time skating community.

24 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Yes, I experienced similar stories myself.

Like, my family in Hungary was watching Worlds in Stockholm, too. They haven't followed FS since the 80's, but my aunt knew that I really like Yuzu and she was curious. My uncle is not into skating at all, but his reaction to LMEY was like: "Wow, that last jump was right on the note! Bang! And all those kneeslides and gliding moves are so cool! The fist punches in the final spin, too!"

None of those features have a BV, but they seem to be the most exciting and attracting for casual viewers and that's why Yuzu is so beloved. He's not only skating for points and placements. He wants to get the people. Not only the self-declared "skating fans" but everyone and make figure skating popular outside the long-time skating community.

Yes, I still remember I was first attracted to the forward cross-rolls in SEIMEI during the Olympics... I later learned they are not difficult, maybe even one of the reasons causing SEIMEI StSq forever Lv3   :confused: 

But every step is on note, like some dangerous, magical, mysterious but charismatic person approaching you quietly. I didn't know who SEIMEI is, but I can see SEIMEI in him. At first I refuse to admit there can be such perfect skater, my comment at that time was "he's got the right music", "the music was good". But I just can't forget him. So I finally bothered to searched him, probably a month after seeing Olympic SEIMEI. And now then here I am :coolio:.

1 minute ago, JanMary said:

Yes, I still remember I was first attracted to the forward cross-rolls in SEIMEI during the Olympics... I later learned they are not difficult, maybe even one of the reasons causing SEIMEI StSq forever Lv3   :confused: 

Exactly! For me, the absolute highlight in Seimei are the backward crossrolls. Yuzu was forced to take them out to get from LV2 to LV3 at least, but it just made Seimei incomplete for me.

That's why I was so extremely grateful that Yuzu brought them back at MOI 2019. Listening to the crowd's response, they all missed the backward crossrolls, too. It may not win points, but it won so many people's hearts!

11 分, JanMaryさんが言いました:

But every step is on note, like some dangerous, magical, mysterious but charismatic person approaching you quietly. I didn't know who SEIMEI is, but I can see SEIMEI in him. At first I refuse to admit there can be such perfect skater, my comment at that time was "he's got the right music", "the music was good". But I just can't forget him. So I finally bothered to searched him, probably a month after seeing Olympic SEIMEI. And now then here I am :coolio:.

This is so true! My personal highlights in Seimei are the cross-rolls, hydroblade and Ina Bauer. None of these are super difficult per se, but it is how he did them that makes a difference. :loveeyes:

I think the best artists are those who can make technically diffcult things look easy like Yuzu's jumps, and make technically easy things look enthralling like Yuzu's hydroblade.

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

Great news!!

Stockholm LMEY has become the most viewed winter sport clip on German ARD's Sportschau channel on YouTube! It has surpassed 700 K views already and moved up to 14th place in total! In the current top 15 of the channel we have 12 clips about soccer, one about athletics and big-wave riding... and yeah, Yuzu! Congrats!

Little background: The ARD Sportschau is the main sports broadcaster on German television, focusing on sports where German athletes used to be very successful like soccer, athletics, swimming, handball, biathlon, ski jumping, nordic combined, bobsleigh and luge. Figure skating has pretty much died with Katarina Witt's retirement. There was a little rise in interest after Aljona's and Bruno's victory in Pyeongchang, but that dropped again quite quickly. To have Yuzu with so many clicks on a German channel is something very special.

Since I speak German too, I had the pleasure of hearing the continous praises from the commentator. He said that LMEY was the best FP he ever watched. "Who is going to stop him? He is unstopable" he kept on saying. 

16 minutes ago, monchan said:

Whenever I watch LMEY I still feel much regret it wasn't performed in front of a big cheering crowd. Like it is supposed to be so. Imagine how fun and exciting it would be...

I think he may perform it at the Gala EX programme in Beijing, if he decides to do a piano piece at FP instead. 

1 hour ago, CaroSkate said:

This is so true! My personal highlights in Seimei are the cross-rolls, hydroblade and Ina Bauer. None of these are super difficult per se, but it is how he did them that makes a difference. :loveeyes:

I think the best artists are those who can make technically diffcult things look easy like Yuzu's jumps, and make technically easy things look enthralling like Yuzu's hydroblade.

If we're talking about highlights without bv, I have to mention the chasse - edge change in the step sequence of Hope and Legacy. It was the first of Yuzu's programs I saw, Worlds 2017, and I was spellbound in general but I still remember how much that gripped me, the fluidity of it and the sound of the skate across the ice just in time with the music. Such a tiny moment, but those moments add up to the magic that is watching Yuzu skate. 

Ah, and that concludes the season.

Thanks everybody for the links, for the twitter updates posted here so I don't have to go into that godforsaken place and thanks for the translations. And of course, thank you so much Yuzuru Hanyu for everything.

(I'm about to go on a personal tangent and I'm very emotional, crying and feeling silly about it, so please feel free to skip an just know that I'm thankful for watching and commenting this season with you guys).

Figure Skating it's non-existent in my country and I used to watch a video here and there since Sochi, follow a few skaters on Instagram and that was it. But last year in the beginning of the pandemic I somehow ended up in the Olympic channel watching Yuzuru's Chopin SP, and that was it for me. Like everyone else, at the time I was feeling lost and anxious and afraid (really fun feelings to have when you already have mental health struggles, right?) and top of that, there is the small matter that I'm a medical doctor. I had moved back to my city because of COVID and was starting a new job so I extremely stressed and terrified for my patients and my family. But since I stumbled upon Yuzuru, everyday I would look forward to come home, sit in my room isolated from my family (at the time my apartment still wasn't ready so I was staying with them trying to be as careful as I could) and watch his programs, starting from the very beginning of his senior career to the 2020 4CC, ice shows, and everything else I could get my hands on. I never thought I could get emotional and be so moved by a sport, but it only took me watching his artistry, passion and captivating personality to make me tear up a bit and smile quite a lot.

I can truly say that Yuzuru Hanyu has been a beacon of hope for me in these horrible times and I look forward to see his light keep shining when things get better (meanwhile, after SOI I guess we're back to watching him in old competitions just to feel alive besties lmao).