General Yuzuru Chat

This was a uniquely tough season, but Yuzu managed to come through it with even more beautiful performance and skating skills.  Thank you for not continuing to face the challenges and sharing the experience with us! 

Through this non-sensical WTT event, he has managed to discover the pathway to his 4A dream and has shown us how much he is able to maintain emotional balance by drawing strength from all of us and turning it into his own core strength.  We are proud of you and look forward to accompanying you on this special journey.  Isn't it amazing that he is still competing and still evolving into his third Olympic season!!??   

And THANK YOU! to all the satellites on this PH Forum!   The new banner is beautiful! 

Yuzu interview after the Free program:

「今シーズン、やっぱり4回転半が入れられなかったことがすごく残念に思います。ただ4回転半を練習してきたからこそ見えてきた曲とのつながりとか、トリプルアクセルとの違いとか、他のジャンプへの体の使い方の考え方とか、いろんなことが見つかっています。そういった今の知識、経験、いろんなものを結集させて、来季4回転半を目指して、そして4回転半が揃った、完成された演技を目指して頑張ってきたいと思います」

I really regret that I was not able to incorporate 4A this season.  But because I was practicing 4A I was able to gain new insights into how to make better connection with the music, understand the difference with 3A, and think about using my body in the other jumps - I have discovered many new things.  I want to bring together all the knowledge, experience and other things I have accumulated (this season) and apply them toward next season's 4A.  And I will aim for a perfect performance that incorporates 4A. 

A beautiful closing statemtent for a very special season.   Thank you!    

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

And the season is over! This was such an incredibly tough season for Yuzu, but even with all the challenges--the virus, the earthquakes, the lack of training time, the asthma attack, and the immense mental and emotional burden he carries every time he decides to compete--this is still probably the strongest he's ever been. He just keeps getting better and better. I don't know how he does it. Even though he made mistakes in the past two competitions, the causes were more external, rather than internal (though he would never make excuses for less-than-perfect performances). Without these external factors, I just feel like he can consistently do four-quad programs now with such ease.

And it's not just his physical strength that I'm in awe of, but his heart. He has spoken again and again about how much other people have suffered more than him during this pandemic and how much this all weighs in his mind at every competition. As an exemplary human being with empathy, he understands just how important it is to not spread the virus and to take proper precautions, despite many, many other people and the whole ISU constantly spitting in his face (and other skaters' faces who take this pandemic seriously) by completely disregarding safety regulations and even mocking it at times.

This pandemic shrouded the whole world in darkness, and everyone's hearts and true natures were laid bare. Yuzu's light only became brighter in the dark. In these uncertain times, his consideration of others and the kindness of his soul only became more apparent, while the narcissism of others only intensified. I'm sure he still has mixed feelings overall about deciding to compete, but I hope he knows that his words and performances gave many people the strength to carry on, and that he's done the best that he could under the circumstances. He performed his responsibilities as a Japanese representative and as a human being with such grace and care, even though the two responsibilities seemed to be conflicting at times.

Yuzu, thank you for genuinely caring about us and the people around you.

With that said, I am begging the universe to give him what he deserves. Two letters: 4A. I know that hoping for fair judging at this point is wishful thinking, so at least just give him this, his biggest dream. Out of his rollercoaster of a career, this may be the wildest ride yet. I'd say buckle up, but the ride has already started and is steadily accelerating. There'll be more ups and downs and loops, and we'll get pulled in every single direction along with him, but please universe, let this ride end with a satisfying journey to look back on. No matter what, we will be with him the whole way.

45 minutes ago, citrusjunos said:

(...) despite many, many other people and the whole ISU constantly spitting in his face (and other skaters' faces who take this pandemic seriously) by completely disregarding safety regulations (...)

I wonder if you wrote it with double meaning? I would say this "spitting in his face" expression is more literally true (because people who don't wear the mask, often don't get it that one often spread rather big droplets which are way more dangerous than the smaller ones we spread even with a mask) than figuratively, although they also fail to understand how their behaviour increases other people's anxiety, which effectually weakens their immunity. At least for thoughtless skaters and coaches. Of course from ISU there is a complete disregard for athletes' health (and we knew it before this epidemic but here it became a real clownery, I mean, how would a screenwriter have had a screenplay accepted, even for a comic movie/short story etc, had he "pretended" that ISU's only responses to such a health issue would have been, in 2020 to organise a physical meeting between attendants and athletes, and in 2021 to invent a new hymn, etc? Nobody could have believed it.) And also a hatred towards Yuzuru Hanyu specifically. But I have a new possible explanation. Quite often mediocrity hate excellence. Yuzuru Hanyu's skating excels in way too many points, plus his character too, while perfect in manners (which maybe exasperate them even more), is both of a real great man (the sort they hate most) and not a compliant one (I mean, he complies with rules, not with their poor state of mind). Sort of Miss Minchin attitude, for those who have read A Little Princess, but there are so many other examples in literature — and in real life, unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

I wonder if you wrote it with double meaning? I would say this "spitting in his face" expression is more literally true (because people who don't wear the mask, often don't get it that one often spread rather big droplets which are way more dangerous than the smaller ones we spread even with a mask) than figuratively, although they also fail to understand how their behaviour increases other people's anxiety, which effectually weakens their immunity. At least for thoughtless skaters and coaches. Of course from ISU there is a complete disregard for athletes' health (and we knew it before this epidemic but here it became a real clownery, I mean, how would a screenwriter have had a screenplay accepted, even for a comic movie/short story etc, had he "pretended" that ISU's only responses to such a health issue would have been, in 2020 to organise a physical meeting between attendants and athletes, and in 2021 to invent a new hymn, etc? Nobody could have believed it.) And also a hatred towards Yuzuru Hanyu specifically. But I have a new possible explanation. Quite often mediocrity hate excellence. Yuzuru Hanyu's skating excels in way too many points, plus his character too, while perfect in manners (which maybe exasperate them even more), is both of a real great man (the sort they hate most) and not a compliant one (I mean, he complies with rules, not with their poor state of mind). Sort of Miss Minchin attitude, for those who have read A Little Princess, but there are so many other examples in literature — and in real life, unfortunately.

I meant it figuratively, but after I wrote it, I saw how it could also be taken literally given the context :laughing:

And as for mediocrity hating excellence, that is quite true in many situations across various fields, though I usually see that attitude more in individuals rather than entire systems or organizations. Yuzu is respected quite a lot by his fellow skaters, but he is unfortunately not the one the ISU wants to excel.

42 minutes ago, citrusjunos said:

I meant it figuratively, but after I wrote it, I saw how it could also be taken literally given the context :laughing:

And as for mediocrity hating excellence, that is quite true in many situations across various fields, though I usually see that attitude more in individuals rather than entire systems or organizations. Yuzu is respected quite a lot by his fellow skaters, but he is unfortunately not the one the ISU wants to excel.

There must be a problem of recruitment. In fact, in general all organisations recruiting by co-optation and not bound to difficult results, tend to aggregate mediocrities. On the other hand, athletes and coaches are bound to hard work etc, and there tends to be less mediocrity among them maybe?

I would like to know why most skating feds do not complain to the ISU about the scoring insanity.  the US and Rus Feds won't because they are favored, though you'd think they would want a fair competition (ok- maybe not the RusFed).  The JFed won't because -I think- they are just too polite and want to stay out of it and not risk further penalties against their skaters.

But Max knows, and most of the skating commentators know, that the scoring is skewed.  After this basically useless and unimportant (yet very dangerous) competition this week with a pre-determined winner, I am done.  I'm sorry that the season was so weird and mostly non-existent, but i'm not unhappy that it's over because I just couldn't watch anymore.

Cross-posting from the WTT Day 2 thread:

Max on WC21 Men's event and Yuzu, now with English subs.

I know that there are some people who find Max a bit problematic, but I have never really seen any other foreign commentator who knows or even tries to understand Yuzuru as a skater beyond the surface level.

"Hanyu taught us...that a jump must be loved. You cannot abandon it on its own, in a corner of the rink. A jump must have something before, something afterwards, it must be valued by the athlete. The Hanyu who wants to land the 4A aims to jump a perfect element, not just in terms of score, but for all that surrounds it." Yep, this is why his skating stands out so much to me. There are skaters with great skating skills, but none who can really blend in the jumps the way he does. His transitions also don't feel like transitions for the sake of transitions. Whatever steps he uses matches the music and the theme of the program. My current favorite example of this is the twizzle exit from the 3A in Ten to Chi to.

"What he wants now, is to be the first skater to land a 4A. From a strictly technical point of view, I'm happy he is continuing. From a human point of view, I ask myself whether a champion like him deserves to get on the ice, perform a perfect program and then see himself underscored by the judges. By people who shouldn't even address him on the street, if you see what I mean." Describing every fanyu's struggles. I don't know whether I want to laugh or cry when I think this, but it does feel validating hearing him say that, because no other figure skating public figure (lol) wants to address or even acknowledge judging problems when it comes to Yuzu.

3 hours ago, citrusjunos said:

"From a human point of view, I ask myself whether a champion like him deserves to get on the ice, perform a perfect program and then see himself underscored by the judges. By people who shouldn't even address him on the street, if you see what I mean." 

"By people who shouldn't even address him on the street, if you see what I mean." LOL! I love it! Judges aren't good enough to speak to Yuzu on the street. You tell them Max! Absolutely true!