General Yuzuru Chat

Flashback to 2018, but I absolutely LOVE this mature Yuzu rendition of Sing Sing Sing. I cut this standalone video from the CWW stream cuz I can't get enough of it lol. He is both so adorable and so charismatic and so extra. He's so good at these jazz or rock pieces, he pulls it off with SO MUCH confidence and face. This guy is special. I guess we already knew that :laughing: 

My Planet Hanyu banner has not changed. It is still the birthday banner. What magical incantations do I have to utter in order to make it change? Where do I go to make the change? Please help!

Edit:  Nevermind – I figured it out. I didn't realize there was a "Theme" clickable at the bottom. After all these years!

Edit #2: And thanks @rockstaryuzu for replying.

9 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

My Planet Hanyu banner has not changed. It is still the birthday banner. What magical incantations do I have to utter in order to make it change? Where do I go to make the change? Please help!

At the very very bottom of the page, you'll see the Twitter bird and underneath that, 2 dropdown menus and a link: Language, Theme, and Contact Us. Click the drop down for 'Theme" and it should show you a list of all the banners. Select the one you want and you should be good to go. It changed automatically for me once I selected it from the menu. 

The new Heaven and Earth banner is truly spectacular, by the way! Congrats to those who made it. 

6 hours ago, Whoopiewoop said:

Looks like the English translation is actually not bad. Every sentence made sense but if it's accurate I can't say :68468287:

"The world competition for figure skating has begun. Shoma Uno and Yuzuru Hanyu will appear in the men's short program on the first day. Hanyu will be participating for the first time in two tournaments since the 2017 tournament where Japan won the championship. Therefore, we will publish a special article about Hanyu published in "Sports Graphic Number".

First appearance: "Sports Graphic Number" released on January 21, 2021 <Student Yuzuru Hanyu "Thesis of 30,000 characters reached by exploring issues">
 Yuzuru Hanyu graduated from Waseda University School of Human Sciences last fall. The graduation thesis was taught by Shoji Nishimura, a professor at the Faculty of Human Sciences. How did the student, Hanyu, look in the eyes of the professor?

"My first encounter was an interview on Skype before enrollment. It seems that it was the timing right after the tournament in the fall of 2012. I felt an attitude.

I thought that the sports science department would be better if I wanted to master figure skating, but I had a clear sense of purpose, such as saying that I wanted to know what the physical movements that make up figure skating are. Was. I see, that's why I was told that it was the Faculty of Human Sciences. "

Hanyu won the Japan Championship for the first time in December 2012 © Takuya Sugiyama
Hanyu won the Japan Championship for the first time in December 2012 © Takuya Sugiyama

See all photos (4)
Even though I was busy, I read ten papers
 Hanyu, who enrolled in the Correspondence Course (e-school) of the Faculty of Human Sciences, took a lesson-style lecture for two years. He worked with a strong sense of inquiry and actively posted on the bulletin board for questions and answers that other students could see.

After completing the required credits, students of the Faculty of Human Sciences choose a seminar for their graduation research. Hanyu decided to study under Professor Nishimura.

"At the time of entering the seminar, the outline of the theme of the thesis will be decided through interviews, etc. Mr. Hanyu had a desire to do research to analyze the movement of figure skating."

Previously, under Professor Nishimura, figure skater Haruka Imai was engaged in research using "motion capture" technology that attaches sensors to the body and records movements. At that time, the technology was not as easy to use as it is today, so it was not at a level that could be analyzed. However, due to the evolution of technology, it has become possible for figure skaters to collect data on how they behave.

Guidance was given to Canada-based Hanyu using e-mail and Skype.

Studied under Brian Orser in April 2012.  Moved to Toronto, Canada from summer © Takuya Sugiyama
Studied under Brian Orser in April 2012. Moved to Toronto, Canada from summer © Takuya Sugiyama

"For a while, every week, I was asked to work on the task of having the necessary papers read and reviewed according to the theme. Even though I was busy, I worked on reading the 10 papers properly and took the lead. I spent a lot of time learning about research and analytical methods. "

"It was so complete that I didn't have much to do with it."
 The title of his thesis was "Utilization of motion capture technology in figure skating and future prospects", and he focused on it from spring to summer when he refrained from going out. And at the end of July last year, I finished writing my graduation thesis."

The translation captures the gist of the article, but with some usual mix up of personal pronouns (it's hard to know who is talking - Yuzu or the professor) and one hilarious mistranslation!    When Prof first "met" Yuzu on Skype, the translation says: "I felt an attitude" lol :laughing:   (I am sure Yuzu always has a certain "attitude"!!)  However, here is the original Japanese sentence:   彼は疲れも見せずしっかり受け答えをしていて、学ぶことへの真摯な態度を感じました。 "He didn't even show any fatigue (the Prof makes this point because the interview was right after Yuzu's 2012 competition) and answered my questions clearly and with certitude (i.e. not waffling about with vague responses), and gave me the impression that he has a serious/sincere attitude toward his studies."   In other words, "I felt an attitude", which is a good summary! 

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
3 hours ago, amylance1215 said:

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

""[...] Of course I still hold those feelings, but I am also fully aware that there are those who have lost their usual mens of work, thos who are suffering during these circumstances, and of course, how difficult it is for those involved to organize and run a competition like this [...]I thought that by bringing myself to this venue that (people depend on for) work, I could maybe help in someway [...]"

He is essentially doing what probably most of us have been trying to do this entire year. Support small businesses, even if it's just a little it could perhaps help them retain jobs. It's not about the big ISU, but the paid staff that is involved in all this from logistics to cleaning staff. These are the little people that are benefitting from this event in the end and I'm so happy he has pointed it out.

Hiii I'm back after a tiring week!! Watched sp and fs and I'm so proud of Yuzu no matter what the outcome is. He truly is a fighter. 

And so this concludes his season. Love him till the next.

And thank you for that new banner. It's so pretty :softYuzu: