General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, Geo1 said:

As for myself, listening to his answers and explanations in Japanese without reference to the English translations, I definitely got the sense that he is telling the truth when he said that he has not landed a single quad Axel in all of his attempts. He said that he found himself questioning whether it is humanly possible. He is now thinking that it is a totally different jump from the triple Axel. He is coming to the realization that he has to approach this jump totally differently than he has the triple Axel. These are not the words of someone who has landed this jump, no matter how imperfectly. I just pray that he does not injure himself, remains healthy and achieves his dream.

While I was reading that part of the interview, I kept on thinking about his thesis and the motion capture idea...I wonder if it has occurred to Yuzu to try using motion capture technology to analyze his 4A attempts? Also, with the right set of coding skills, someone could probably create a computer model of an 'ideal' 4A and Yuzu could use that as his guideline for image training. 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

(...) I wonder if it has occurred to Yuzu to try using motion capture technology to analyze his 4A attempts? Also, with the right set of coding skills, someone could probably create a computer model of an 'ideal' 4A and Yuzu could use that as his guideline for image training. 

I'm sure it has; and he did.

12 hours ago, amylance1215 said:

Didn't Osaka announce emergency lockdown and advise everyone to avoid unnecessary activities??? How is this allowed to go on I don't understand... :ohno:

For what I gathered from Roman and Nam (they did a completely useless live last night, but it was so entertaining 🤣) the skaters and tech team are not allowed out of the hotel or the rink. It looks like the hotel is all for skaters, but they keep roaming around the corridors, something without masks 🙄

I really don't know how Japan does it, but for a place where the SOE doesn't really mean locking down, they have very few covid cases and deaths, and after other comps with audience, I just pray things are as they seem and the athletes are safe.

On another note, I said earlier that the gala would not be streamed, but I found out it will, in case anyone wondered.

This Japanese artist living in Italy was inspired by Yuzu's performance at the Worlds to produce this beautiful piece of art entitled "A Ray of Hope" (reference to Ryunosuke Akutagawa's novel, Spider's Thread).   He says Yuzu is like the light shining through the world suffering from Corona virus pandemic. 

Japanese competitive swimmer Rikako Ikee, who was diagnosed of leukemia in Feb 2019, just qualified for Summer Oly 2020/21 a few days ago. She said Yuzu's Oly 2018 skate influenced her to do her best. It's moving to see how much struggles these talented individuals have to go through to achieve their dreams. I wish her all the best :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

4 hours ago, CiONTUw4A said:

Uncle Max is out here doing God's work, exposing the I*U and this sport for what they are, incompetent and corrupted politics. 

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
3 hours ago, Umebachi said:

This Japanese artist living in Italy was inspired by Yuzu's performance at the Worlds to produce this beautiful piece of art entitled "A Ray of Hope" (reference to Ryunosuke Akutagawa's novel, Spider's Thread).   He says Yuzu is like the light shining through the world suffering from Corona virus pandemic. 

Yuzu truly is the ray of light in this chaotic hell called our world right now. He has always been steadfast in his positivity and kindness. Even when he feels down, he finds strength in his inner self, from fellow athletes, and the support from his loved ones and fans, and stand back up again. His resilience inspires hope in others. And the way he is fighting to achieve his own goals, regardless of outside narratives, shows how much he has grown and matured. His constant growth reminds us that humans are amazing with limitless capacities! 

His kindness and thoughtfulness represent the best of humanity, inspired many to strive to be as kind as he is. He reminds me that there is good in the world after all, especially in these trying times when violence, discrimination and racism are getting worse and worse. 

I'm getting a tad too emotional. This beautiful artwork touches something in me I can't quite explain. The way the lotuses, symbols of purity and prosperity, etc., leaning toward the ray of light in the shroud of darkness shows how bright and pure that light is.

I'm no writer so please excuse this mess of a post :tumblr_m9gcraReGL1qzckow:

2 hours ago, amylance1215 said:

Japanese competitive swimmer Rikako Ikee, who was diagnosed of leukemia in Feb 2019, just qualified for Summer Oly 2020/21 a few days ago. She said Yuzu's Oly 2018 skate influenced her to do her best. It's moving to see how much struggles these talented individuals have to go through to achieve their dreams. I wish her all the best :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Better translation

23 hours ago, SuzyQ said:

Has this been already posted?

Hideki Matsuyama won the Masters on Sunday, and Washington Post referred to Yuzuru 

"And it placed Matsuyama in the Japanese sports stratosphere, one of the world’s shiniest places, where he can mingle with Shohei Ohtani, Naomi Osaka and Yuzuru Hanyu."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/04/11/masters-live-updates-sunday/

20 hours ago, Geo1 said:

The LA Times also referred to Yuzu in their story about Hideki Matsuyama: “Hideki Matsuyama's historic Masters win carries different weight in Japan”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2021-04-12/hideki-matsuyama-masters-rise-of-japanese-athletes

Hideki Matsuyama just won the PGA Masters tournament and the coveted (IMAO ugly) green jacket. He is the first Japanese to win the Masters and a major PGA tournament, but that is not the reason I am mentioning him here.

I am posting this because he, like Yuzu, had tears in his eyes when he thanked the people of Tohoku: "I'm glad I'm able to deliver positive news to the people who pushed me forward then. Thank you."

He was a 19-year-old student at Tohoku Fukushi University in Sendai and in a training camp in Australia when the March 11, 2011 earthquake and tsunami occurred. When he returned to Sendai, he experienced the effects of the disaster firsthand, losing weight as he survived on a diet of instant ramen.

A month after the disaster struck, he received an invitation to the Masters, but he almost did not go. Like Yuzu, he was conflicted as to whether it was appropriate to pursue his passion in the face of such a disaster. As Matsuyama debated whether to play in the Masters, he started receiving letters and faxes from the people of Tohoku encouraging him to accept the invitation. Matsuyama listened to them, taking with him the more than 200 pieces of correspondence, which he read throughout the tournament.

Matsuyama became the first Japanese golfer to earn low-amateur honors at the Masters, finishing in a tie for 27th overall with the previous year's Masters champion, Phil Mickelson. A decade later, on Sunday, he became the first Japanese golfer to be crowned Masters champion.

He has also become a symbol of the Tohoku region's recovery, alongside Yuzu and 19-year-old baseball player Roki Sasaki.

Sasaki, who is from the Iwate coast in the Tohoku region, lost his father and a set of grandparents in the tsunami. Instead of accepting an invitation to play for a baseball powerhouse, Sasaki attended high school in the same town in which he and his family rebuilt their lives. While there, he threw a 101 mph fastball that made him the country's most sought after pitching prospect since Shohei Ohtani.

6’4” Shohei Ohtani is also from Iwate and is the first true two-way player since Babe Ruth in MLB where he is a pitcher and designated hitter for the Los Angeles Angels.

Tohoku has a lot of impressive stars to cheer for, but none brighter than Yuzuru Hanyu.

Yuzu said in this interview he also watched a bit of Matsuyama's match, and that he was very proud of his fellow Sendai athlete.

Edit1: more translation

Edit2: Yuzu and Matsuyama met before!