General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, IceWings said:

I hope that when he says he's not landing it, it doesn't mean that he's falling all the time. Maybe he pops a lot, or steps out, or turns out, or hand-down, or low-knee save... stuff like that which I think he would consider "not landing it".

I am pretty sure that he is falling most, if not all, of the time. I do not think that it is possible to seriously hope to land a quad Axel with half measures. Knowing Yuzu, he is throwing his entire body, mind and soul into every one of his attempts believing that this is the one that he lands.

3 hours ago, SuzyQ said:

Has this been already posted?

Hideki Matsuyama won the Masters on Sunday, and Washington Post referred to Yuzuru 

"And it placed Matsuyama in the Japanese sports stratosphere, one of the world’s shiniest places, where he can mingle with Shohei Ohtani, Naomi Osaka and Yuzuru Hanyu."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/04/11/masters-live-updates-sunday/

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

The LA Times also referred to Yuzu in their story about Hideki Matsuyama: “Hideki Matsuyama's historic Masters win carries different weight in Japan”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2021-04-12/hideki-matsuyama-masters-rise-of-japanese-athletes

Hideki Matsuyama just won the PGA Masters tournament and the coveted (IMAO ugly) green jacket. He is the first Japanese to win the Masters and a major PGA tournament, but that is not the reason I am mentioning him here.

I am posting this because he, like Yuzu, had tears in his eyes when he thanked the people of Tohoku: "I'm glad I'm able to deliver positive news to the people who pushed me forward then. Thank you."

He was a 19-year-old student at Tohoku Fukushi University in Sendai and in a training camp in Australia when the March 11, 2011 earthquake and tsunami occurred. When he returned to Sendai, he experienced the effects of the disaster firsthand, losing weight as he survived on a diet of instant ramen.

A month after the disaster struck, he received an invitation to the Masters, but he almost did not go. Like Yuzu, he was conflicted as to whether it was appropriate to pursue his passion in the face of such a disaster. As Matsuyama debated whether to play in the Masters, he started receiving letters and faxes from the people of Tohoku encouraging him to accept the invitation. Matsuyama listened to them, taking with him the more than 200 pieces of correspondence, which he read throughout the tournament.

Matsuyama became the first Japanese golfer to earn low-amateur honors at the Masters, finishing in a tie for 27th overall with the previous year's Masters champion, Phil Mickelson. A decade later, on Sunday, he became the first Japanese golfer to be crowned Masters champion.

He has also become a symbol of the Tohoku region's recovery, alongside Yuzu and 19-year-old baseball player Roki Sasaki.

Sasaki, who is from the Iwate coast in the Tohoku region, lost his father and a set of grandparents in the tsunami. Instead of accepting an invitation to play for a baseball powerhouse, Sasaki attended high school in the same town in which he and his family rebuilt their lives. While there, he threw a 101 mph fastball that made him the country's most sought after pitching prospect since Shohei Ohtani.

6’4” Shohei Ohtani is also from Iwate and is the first true two-way player since Babe Ruth in MLB where he is a pitcher and designated hitter for the Los Angeles Angels.

Tohoku has a lot of impressive stars to cheer for, but none brighter than Yuzuru Hanyu.

I seriously wonder how much disinformation we are getting from Yuzu.  Not that he's lying but putting a different spin on things.  I just can't imagine that he's tried the 4A a thousand times and never landed it.  I think it's fairly likely he is landing them but not perfectly.  Until his 4As are competition-ready he's not saying he's doing them.  We have to know Yuzu and I think most of us will agree that Yuzu never says he's capable of doing something until he's capable of doing something perfectly.

2 minutes ago, micaelis said:

I seriously wonder how much disinformation we are getting from Yuzu.  Not that he's lying but putting a different spin on things.  I just can't imagine that he's tried the 4A a thousand times and never landed it.  I think it's fairly likely he is landing them but not perfectly.  Until his 4As are competition-ready he's not saying he's doing them.  We have to know Yuzu and I think most of us will agree that Yuzu never says he's capable of doing something until he's capable of doing something perfectly.

Well, we know that Yuzu sometimes lies. Not really lie, but withhold certain information until he feels he's ready. In an interview at the end of the 2016-2017 season, he was asked whether or not he was going to put in a 4Lz, since he was practicing it at the gala, and he denied it. And guess what appeared during Olympic season? :xD:

But it's definitely his prerogative to reveal however much he wants about his training. I'm not particularly concerned by it. For as much as he withholds certain things, he is also very clear and vocal about his dreams and goals. He said he was going to land a 4A, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see :)

26 minutes ago, micaelis said:

I don't like the word disinformation, but @Melodie once said, "trust in Yuzu, but do not trust Yuzu". Meaning, we must take what he says with his whole history of ways of communication, rather than literally. Here it seems pretty clear that if he jumps 4A with only 1/8th rotation missing (that is, 45° missing), and knowing he has no prerotation, this means he's already got a pretty ratificable 4A, but "he doesn't have the 4A yet" in his own meaning of the word, that is, a fully rotated jump with nice entry and transition.

@Henni147 If ever ISU judges ratify a badly prerotated, underrotated jump as first 4A in history (I mean, a jump not respecting ISU written rules) I think I will really go mad, and not stop at protesting solemnly to Guinness Book of Records etc against any acceptance of such a farce. Which I would do too, of course.

And some do prerotate Axels, I've seen one from a skater usually known for his good take-off technique but who tried to take off from a spread eagle instead of his usual long and ugly preparation, and the jump was clearly prerotated.

1 時間前, micaelisさんが言いました:

Whatever his 4A condition is, I will just wait patiently until he decides to show us.

4 時間前, Henni147さんが言いました:

Imagine a quad Baxel with +270° pre-rotation and +180° short on the landing ratified as a "first".

I think Yuzu would cry rivers of pain... and us, too... :13877886:

If they really ratify a 4A like this, I will proudly convince my coach that my underrotated attempt is actually a textbook Axel lol. :yucky:

3 hours ago, micaelis said:

As for myself, listening to his answers and explanations in Japanese without reference to the English translations, I definitely got the sense that he is telling the truth when he said that he has not landed a single quad Axel in all of his attempts. He said that he found himself questioning whether it is humanly possible. He is now thinking that it is a totally different jump from the triple Axel. He is coming to the realization that he has to approach this jump totally differently than he has the triple Axel. These are not the words of someone who has landed this jump, no matter how imperfectly. I just pray that he does not injure himself, remains healthy and achieves his dream.

14 hours ago, citrusjunos said:

Max talks about Yuzu and how much he enjoys commentating. Says he first saw him at Junior Worlds and fell in love at first sight after seeing his huge 3A. Truly an OG fanyu. Oh, and apparently, Angelo's a coach now.

Gosh can you imagine Max and Yuzuru having a conversation?! :smiley-talk030::blabla:

(they both love talking A LOT don't they!! :smiley-talk005:let ME talk now!!  :LOL: 

(I love listening to both of them on the subject of FS and Yuzuru tbh!)

19 minutes ago, Pammi said:

Gosh can you imagine Max and Yuzuru having a conversation?! :smiley-talk030::blabla:

(they both love talking A LOT don't they!! :smiley-talk005:let ME talk now!!  :LOL: 

Once, facetious French journalists managed to have ("unstoppably talkative") royalty and horse races journalist Léon Zitrone, interview the great pianist Artur Rubinstein. Léon Zitrone could hardly open the mouth. Now, that's because of course Léon Zitrone was too much in awe to dare to interrupt Artur Rubinstein, as I suppose would be Massimiliano Ambesi with Yuzuru Hanyu.

One could try with Alena Kostornaia who's also a skater and certainly sympathetic to him, but I'm sure she would be quite as much in awe as would be Massimiliano Ambesi.

PLUS Yuzuru Hanyu may have a reputation of talkativeness in Japanese, I'm not sure it would happen in English.

PLUS Italian (if you believe the French) is a special language which can also be spoken with hands. :wiggle:

(In our first years of marriage, my husband and I would sometimes have two simultaneous conversations on different subjects going on, one answering the other while the other was answering the first etc. Quite funny but tiring.)

Not sure it is this video?

37 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

As for myself, listening to his answers and explanations in Japanese without reference to the English translations, I definitely got the sense that he is telling the truth when he said that he has not landed a single quad Axel in all of his attempts. He said that he found himself questioning whether it is humanly possible. He is now thinking that it is a totally different jump from the triple Axel. He is coming to the realization that he has to approach this jump totally differently than he has the triple Axel. These are not the words of someone who has landed this jump, no matter how imperfectly. I just pray that he does not injure himself, remains healthy and achieves his dream.

My memory might be misleading me but didn't Yuzu say when he was finally back on the ice after the infamous fall seen around the world that he had worked up to a double axel but just couldn't get the triple axel until he essentially made himself forget how to do a double axel and then the triple axel, well stored in his muscle memory, came back as clean as usual.  In the case now under discussion it might be that he should forget everything he knows about triple axels and see what develops.  A suggestion might be that he try going back to a double axel, something he hasn't routinely done in years, and see if he can go directly from that to a 4A and forget about the 3A.  

37 minutes ago, Pammi said:

I'm pretty sure Max would have a fanboy moment, and I would not blame him :laughing: (though he'd probably be able to reel himself in better than any of us afterwards).

37 minutes ago, micaelis said:

My memory might be misleading me but didn't Yuzu say when he was finally back on the ice after the infamous fall seen around the world that he had worked up to a double axel but just couldn't get the triple axel until he essentially made himself forget how to do a double axel and then the triple axel, well stored in his muscle memory, came back as clean as usual.  In the case now under discussion it might be that he should forget everything he knows about triple axels and see what develops.  A suggestion might be that he try going back to a double axel, something he hasn't routinely done in years, and see if he can go directly from that to a 4A and forget about the 3A.  

Whatever happens, if Yuzu wants a ratified 4A in competition AND a clean program around it, he cannot drop the 3A. It is a mandatory element in the men's short and essential in the free, too. With a 2A he can go home right away. Dropping the 3A would pretty much kill his chance to stay competitive.

Also, sacrificing a world heritage 3A for another jump that may not even come into existence would be absolute madness, even for Yuzuru Hanyu.

I think, the fact that the 3A and 4A turn out as two different jumps that require different technique altogether is actually a very good sign for him. That increases the chance that he can keep his 3A and train the 4A more independently.

50 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

PLUS Yuzuru Hanyu may have a reputation of talkativeness in Japanese, I'm not sure it would happen in English.

PLUS Italian (if you believe the French) is a special language which can also be spoken with hands

Oh of course! They would both have to be fluent in either Japanese or Italian for this scenario to play out the way I imagine! :english1: (I bet Yuzu knows the words to Notte Stellata like the back of his hand by now, so that's a good start!!:words:)

1 hour ago, micaelis said:

I believe he was struggling to jump a double, and Ghislain finally suggested that he try a triple. He landed it right away. It turned out that he had abandoned the double so long ago that his body no longer remembered how to do it. 
:muahaha: