General Yuzuru Chat

It's been 9 1/2 years since Shuzo Matsuoka first interviewed a 16-year-old Yuzuru Hanyu. It was shortly after the 2011 Cup of China where Yuzu finished fourth. He was the only one to successfully land quads in both the short and long programs. He explained to Shuzo that his proficiency at successfully landing the quad (toe loop) had increased to 80% that season whereas previously he had only been able to land one out of 50 attempts (2%). Fast forward to now and he is telling Shuzo that he has attempted the quad Axel over 1000 times without once landing it. Perhaps he is on the cusp of making a breakthrough with the quad Axel just as he did with the quad toe those many years ago.

47 minutes ago, lynnidolz said:

Based on the interview Shuzo san genuinely concerned with Yuzuru getting injured by practicing the 4A..If im not mistaken Tracy or one of the coaches said that falling from 4a is like been thrown at a bus..and Yuzuru has been trying it for 1000 times..I hope that he is alright and not injuring himself in the process...and i just wondering if he is still unable to land the 4A in practice yet how come he is initially planning it for Worlds?and based on the interview its like it is humanly imposible to land 4A...If he able to land it once in practice is it a sure given that he will lands it again in competition?Also from the interview what i get is that he doesnt care about winning anymore and just want to fulfill his dream of landing 4A..I just hope that this doesnt effect what little support he had from jfed or any of his sponsor because they might be thinking why support athlete who didnt want to win

I remember that interview and I thought it was Grishlan that mentioned it. But of course now I cant find the interview 😅

Yuzu said after JNATS that he was going to change his body in order to achieve Nessie and even though he is not happy about it he has put on weight (some say about 3kg). I am curious to know how he has achieved this weight gain. Has he eaten a different type of food? More food? More often? Changed timing of exercise so he is not burning off so much fat? I have a few friends who want to put on weight so that might be helpful to know. 

I am also curious  to know how much extra weight is required to achieve the 4A. This is a question nobody but Yuzu can answer but surely he would not have to add 10kg.... I'd think that would be counter productive to the process, surely? 

I am also thinking that Yuzu loves his body shape. What if he has to gain 5kg and then hates the way he looks? I wonder if that could play mind-games and affect his goal and his own self-image? I think "before Nessie Yuzu" was gorgeous but I reckon "Yuzu putting on a little extra weight to achieve a 4A" is pretty sexy actually. 

I am interested to follow this journey and see how Yuzu achieves this goal. I'm now at the stage where i don't care about Olympics or Worlds or anything either - leave that to the youngsters who have something to prove and a name to make for themselves. I am now more scientifically interested in this process of achieving the impossible. So curious as to whether it can be done and my imagination is soaring to see whether this artistic goal is possible.

35 minutes ago, SeimeiOrigin said:

Yuzu said after JNATS that he was going to change his body in order to achieve Nessie and even though he is not happy about it he has put on weight (some say about 3kg). I am curious to know how he has achieved this weight gain. Has he eaten a different type of food? More food? More often? Changed timing of exercise so he is not burning off so much fat? I have a few friends who want to put on weight so that might be helpful to know. 

I am also curious  to know how much extra weight is required to achieve the 4A. This is a question nobody but Yuzu can answer but surely he would not have to add 10kg.... I'd think that would be counter productive to the process, surely? 

I am also thinking that Yuzu loves his body shape. What if he has to gain 5kg and then hates the way he looks? I wonder if that could play mind-games and affect his goal and his own self-image? I think "before Nessie Yuzu" was gorgeous but I reckon "Yuzu putting on a little extra weight to achieve a 4A" is pretty sexy actually. 

I am interested to follow this journey and see how Yuzu achieves this goal. I'm now at the stage where i don't care about Olympics or Worlds or anything either - leave that to the youngsters who have something to prove and a name to make for themselves. I am now more scientifically interested in this process of achieving the impossible. So curious as to whether it can be done and my imagination is soaring to see whether this artistic goal is possible.

I think he's just working on putting on specific muscle mass that will help with the rotations.  His upper body definitely looks more "bulked up", if we can call anything about Yuzu bulky.  I seriously doubt he's eating more fat - he's just targeting building muscle in certain areas.  He knows enough about the physics to keep his overall shape slim and perfect.

I just love the unstated assumption in Yuzu's comments about the 4A that if he can't do it, it's not humanly possible. Or, to state it the other way around, if any human being can do it, he can. 

I absolutely agree with that assessment because the available evidence supports it. But just think how amazing it would be to have that mindset: to take it as a given that, of all the billions of people on this earth, you are uniquely graced with the ability to achieve the goal you have set for yourself. King s**t, indeed. 

:goat:

One other thought: attempting a quad 1000 times before landing it may be, if not expected, less extreme than it sounds to us mere mortals. I'd be curious to know how many attempts it takes, on average, for Yuzu or other elite skaters to begin to get the hang of a new quad. I'd be interested in hearing insights from the satellites who know the technical side better than I do. 

2 hours ago, SeimeiOrigin said:

Didn't he say in one of his Worlds interviews that his weight gain was strictly due to training the 4A? He said he wasn't doing any extra workouts, but his upper body built up naturally from the effort of trying to hold the rotations for the 4A so often. If he's eating more, my guess is that the extra he eats is protein only, not only to build muscle, but also to aid recovery from the bruising effects of repeatedly throwing oneself at the ice.

As a non-athletic adult beginner, I've been struggling with single Axel for a few months. Axel seems like a totally different beast than other singles. I landed a single (f)lutz on the first few trials and have all my other singles stable, but Axel still seems so far away and out of reach for me. 

I usually spend 1/3 to half of my time just throwing myself into it, probably have dozens of attempts every training day, but all of them are either falls or underrotated to downgraded. It feels that I am getting better at it gradually but it is still so far. And I sometimes wonder if I can ever land it.

Following Yuzu's journey to 4A is a huge motivation to my 1A.

4 minutes ago, CaroSkate said:

As a non-athletic adult beginner, I've been struggling with single Axel for a few months. Axel seems like a totally different beast than other singles. I landed a single (f)lutz on the first few trials and have all my other singles stable, but Axel still seems so far away and out of reach for me. 

I usually spend 1/3 to half of my time just throwing myself into it, probably have dozens of attempt every training day, but all of them are eithing falls or underrotated to downgraded. It feels that I am getting better at it gradually but it is still so far. And I sometimes wonder if I can ever land it.

Following Yuzu's journey to 4A is a huge motivation to my 1A.

Loved hearing about this. Congratulations and ganbatte CaroSkate!

Off Topic

Spoiler
Hace 7 horas, senemgencer said:

He is in a place where the average person fails to understand. I see lots of similarities between him and Elon Musk: vision beyond average imagination, dedication, hard-work to the point of self destruction, refusal of failure. These men have no rivals. they only have followers. 

Please don't compare Yuzu with Elon, he's a sociopath...

Nam puts down Pyeongchang Seimei for most memorable program, and Yuzu and Javi as athletes he admires :softYuzu: One of the comments says that Kolyada also put down Yuzu and Javi. Love to see these two receive so much respect from actively competing skaters.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
35 minutes ago, citrusjunos said:

Nam puts down Pyeongchang Seimei for most memorable program, and Yuzu and Javi as athletes he admires :softYuzu: One of the comments says that Kolyada also put down Yuzu and Javi. Love to see these two receive so much respect from actively competing skaters.

A few more skaters who mention Yuzu:

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].