General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Glory said:

I had never seen this before. Fun to watch team Japan cheer for Yuzuru in 2015 WTT. 

I saw this one some days ago. At first I really liked it, then I realized it was used to promote that cursed event in Osaka, so I stopped:deadinside:

For some reason I got creative this weekend and a little sad at the same time.

Thinking of how frustrating it is for us to see in which direction figure skating is heading...

I cannot even imagine how painful it must be for Yuzu, who loves this sport so much.

I still hope, that figure skating will take a sharp turn last minute and bloom again some time in the future :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

That being said, I wish you a nice and peaceful weekend everyone :grouphug:

21 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

All I'm saying is, no matter how complimentary the CBC crew try to be about Yuzu, there's always someone waiting to jump on the things they get wrong.

My view about Carol and Kurt (whose commentary I usually really like, the worse thing I remember about it is Kurt's criticism of Yuzuru's Requiem costume - I'm confident he would never had said that if he'd known what the costume represented) is that they very obviously adore Yuzuru's skating, they see his unique talent in all its layers. Sometimes I think their humour or how they word their admiration just doesn't cross cultural or nation boundaries that well, and that if we all had the same sense of humour or language then these misunderstandings wouldn't happen ..... but then what kind of world would that be if we were all the same, if we were all culturally and linguistically homogenous? What we can do is try to keep open communication with each other, try not to judge too quickly or too harshly, and listen to and believe explanations as given in good faith. (something people on twitter find very hard to do it seems!!) What binds us together is a love of beautiful figure skating and the way it can move us.  We have more in common than that which divides us! (a quote by the late Jo Cox a UK MP).

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

For some reason I got creative this weekend and a little sad at the same time.

Thinking of how frustrating it is for us to see in which direction figure skating is heading...

I cannot even imagine how painful it must be for Yuzu, who loves this sport so much.

I still hope, that figure skating will take a sharp turn last minute and bloom again some time in the future :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

That being said, I wish you a nice and peaceful weekend everyone :grouphug:

Oh I love your poem @Henni147 :softYuzu:

This is quite an emotional depiction of what this Osaka resident is feeling about the WTT coming to the city.  Extremely worried and having nightmares about Yuzu competing at WTT.   This person is a manga illustrator - and reveals quite a complex and nightmarish depiction of the upcoming event.  Will try to translate later - it's quite long!  It is a depiction of a dream (nightmare).  Starts with the scene of a carp fish peaking in from another dimension (clearly covid virus infected side) and the carp on this side wondering what is going on.  Then goes on to remember the past performances by Yuzu - and how Osaka has been the devil's abode for him, e.g., NHK 2017.  The man in track uniform is the symbol of Osaka (recalling the runner from 1967 Olympics) who is asking Yuzu to come to Osaka and they both end up dancing with mambo.  Yuzu asks why are we dancing the mambo?  In Japanese short-hand, the medical emergency being called on Osaka and Tokyo is being nicknamed "Manbo".  Hence, this is turning into Dance Macabre...

https://ameblo.jp/yen000/entry-12667412872.html

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

My Ice Jewels diary has arrived a few days ago and it's so pretty :tumblr_inline_mto5hwcNlg1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: The quality is excellent and there are so many good pictures from Tanaka-san. I made some pictures of it if anyone would like to have a look: :68271262:

Spoiler

zjACsXg.jpg oTKbnbL.jpg

bvc4zOJ.jpg NWj4Llk.jpg

ACp76dW.jpg oZwImGI.jpg

YDk2OL6.jpg gIcBdZ1.jpg

tM4IsGY.jpg UUsvylb.jpg

9wTamsA.jpg 0PnSHKh.jpg

The colours of the ribbon is the same as PC medal ribbons <3 

paGtLU7.jpg b5oZwlL.jpg

MAMLnsi.jpg 

Last picture in the diary: :D rTLoPQu.jpg

[NEWS]

Exclusive interview (excerpt) with Brian in the issue of AERA

DeepL automatic translation:

Did you watch the All Japan Championships on the Internet?

Yes, I did. It was so amazing and I was so excited. Before the All-Japan Championships, he sent me several videos of his program rehearsals. In the beginning, there were still some rough spots, and some of his movements were not yet familiar. But as the competition was approaching, he showed us a really strong and fast performance, which was exactly the "total package" I was hoping for. Then the costumes were finished, and we practiced for the actual competition. Then we had a practice session to prepare for the competition. Yuzuru really enjoyed these exchanges:tumblr_inline_mto5i3wxFW1qid2nw:

More ⬇️

Spoiler

How did you keep in touch with Yuzuru Hanyu after he returned to Japan last March?

When I heard that last season's World Championships had been cancelled, all of my students went back to their home countries. At that time, we didn't know many things about the new coronavirus, so it was dangerous to stay in Toronto. Junhwan Cha (19) went back to Korea and Jason Brown (26) went back to the United States. During the summer, Yuzuru and I exchanged emails and discussed how to prepare for the 2020-21 season.

He chose not to compete in the Grand Prix (GP) series.

Since he was staying in Japan, he had a chance to participate in the NHK Cup, but he did not want to. He didn't want to, partly because he himself had asthma, but more than that, he was concerned about the people around him. He thought that if the fans gathered to see him, and the media and people gathered to see him, it would be his fault if a corona infection occurred at the event. Of course, Yuzuru is not the only one to blame, but when he competes, he becomes the symbol of the event, and it is reported as "pandemic at Hanyu's competition. It was his opinion that we should not take the risk.

■ Advice with practice videos - Did you teach  online?

No, he took videos of practicing and sent them to me. I would watch them and give him some advice. With Junhwan and Jin Boyang (23), we had live lessons on Zoom, but Yuzuru can make his own practice plans, he can correct his jumps by himself. He knows how to make waves in a week, so I gave him advice only on the points where he was not feeling well, or where there was something to worry about.

There was a time when he couldn't even jump the triple axel, and he suffered.  

I think that's rather natural. Usually, I know what I'm going to do in a month or a few weeks, and that's what I aim for. But in Yuzuru's case, he hasn't had any competition at all until the All-Japan Championships at the end of December last year. He doesn't need to stay strong all the time, and I think it's one of the ups and downs of a normal athlete, because it's impossible for Yuzuru to really be unable to jump the triple axel technically. It's not that he needs advice to fix his technique, but if Yuzuru himself thinks about what he's skating for, what his goal is, what his motivation is, he would have found his way.

Maybe there will be a better translation soon. :smiley-angelic001:

@sallycinnamon

Thank you so much for sharing. So beautiful photos  :heart:

2 hours ago, Pammi said:

Sometimes I think their humour or how they word their admiration just doesn't cross cultural or nation boundaries that well, and that if we all had the same sense of humour or language then these misunderstandings wouldn't happen ..... but then what kind of world would that be if we were all the same, if we were all culturally and linguistically homogenous?

Oh, 100%!! In fact, this whole issue opened my eyes to the fact that a lot of ways of communicating that we Canadians take for granted actually do sound very inappropriate and rude to people in other countries, even other English speakers. Pretty ironic for a country that prides itself on being polite! 

I can only say this: when it's the CBC, assume goodwill. They might sound bad, but they definitely don't have any malice in their hearts. 

19 hours ago, Geo1 said:

Well, Yuzu’s idol, Evgeni Plushenko, was 31 when he competed at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics… Milano Cortina 2026 – The first quadruple consecutive Olympic gold medalist in figure skating? First the quad Axel and then the quad Olympic gold medal… We can dream.

Since it doesn't seem likely that I'll be able to travel to Beijing, I surely do hope that Yuzu will go to Milano! But it seems a bit premature to speculate on it.