General Yuzuru Chat

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/15e92963a3c418b9e3612a77f1db97f367c43993

So it seems WTT will still be held. Competition schedule is advanced a little bit.

Does it sound familiar? IDF last year tried to do the exact same thing, re:pushing up the schedule to avoid curfew, also amidst an SOE. 

Know what is worse? There will be live viewing as well, across 36 cities. 

Just how crazy and thirsty for money are the JSF and ISU? Forcing skaters to freaking go out there while an SOE has to be announced and people are recommended to not even get out of their house :banginghead:

@yumeaki Seems like this is the answer to your question about the cursed event (which you posted in the General Skating Chat thread). 

Edit: I will wait a bit further to see if the ISU will officially say anything about this.

Looking at recent comments about Yuzu, there are the following categories of people now:

1. Fallen into disgrace forever.

2. Did some redemption recently, but past level of trashtalk connot be undone.

3. Unblocked or re-followed on probation.

4. Tried to be nice, but still some blunders in there.

5. Reliable voice of reason with no extras.

6. Loyal fanyu ever since, sometimes overdoing it :laughing:

I'd say, category 2 is pretty crowded at the moment. But that just might be my personal impression :pudding:

13 hours ago, Umebachi said:

Hi!  Not to dispute or challenge you, but I do recall enjoying "purin" for dessert in my childhood days in the mid 1960's in Tokyo.  Ginza Fujiya (with Peko-chan at the entrance) had strawberry shortcake and purin, which were among the favorites of children back in those days (along with Omu-rice, Sadaharu Oh for baseball and Taiho for Sumo wrestling - oh dear, I am dating myself!)  

Purin is the soft version of flan/ creme caramel and never referred to the that stolid English pudding, which I hated - ugh (deep apologies to the British satellites for this cultural savagery).   Anyway, we can't pronounce "pudding" so "purin" it is.   We seem to prefer our sweets (and figure skaters) to be soft and wiggly.  

But you wouldn't necessarily have used 'purin' or 'pudding' to refer to something like these, would you? That's what I'm trying to figure out:

https://www.snackpack.com/flavorful-favorites/chocolate

https://www.birdscustard.co.uk/

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/263342/homemade-baked-egg-custard/

I also don't quite understand the English way of using 'pudding' to refer to the dessert course in general - although I do enjoy homemade plum pudding at Christmas. :)

27 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Looking at recent comments about Yuzu, there are the following categories of people now:

1. Fallen into disgrace forever.

2. Did some redemption recently, but past level of trashtalk connot be undone.

3. Unblocked or re-followed on probation.

5. Reliable voice of reason with no extras.

6. Loyal fanyu ever since, sometimes overdoing it :laughing:

I'd say, category 2 is pretty crowded at the moment. But that just might be my personal impression :pudding:

Care to give a list so I know who to watch out for? No pressure, of course.

37 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

The CBC commentators seems to permanently be stuck in this category, no matter how hard they try. I see Carol Lane is getting criticized on Twitter for her "I don't really know what that was about, and I don't care, it was just so beautiful" comment about Hana Wa Saku. The ironic thing is, when you listen to the entire commentary from beginning to end, it's so so SO painfully obvious that all three of them are going out of their way to choose their words carefully so as to avoid causing any misunderstandings about how much they adore Yuzu's skating...and yet they still managed to say the wrong thing. 

I mean, I do see how the comment is problematic. But at this point, it's just painful listening to them turning themselves into knots trying to find appropriately complimentary things to say about Yuzu, that won't end up being taken the wrong way and causing controversy. :huh:

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

The CBC commentators seems to permanently be stuck in this category, no matter how hard they try. I see Carol Lane is getting criticized on Twitter for her "I don't really know what that was about, and I don't care, it was just so beautiful" comment about Hana Wa Saku. The ironic thing is, when you listen to the entire commentary from beginning to end, it's so so SO painfully obvious that all three of them are going out of their way to choose their words carefully so as to avoid causing any misunderstandings about how much they adore Yuzu's skating...and yet they still managed to say the wrong thing. 

I mean, I do see how the comment is problematic. But at this point, it's just painful listening to them turning themselves into knots trying to find appropriately complimentary things to say about Yuzu, that won't end up being taken the wrong way and causing controversy. :huh:

In case of Kurt it feels like some sort of redemption commentary. I still remember very vividly all the not so nice things he said about Yuzu shortly before the ISU awards... That's why he belongs somewhere between category 2 and 3 for me.

Carol has indeed moved to category 4 with the latest 'I don't care'-blunder. However, I had the impression that - overall - she's been quite complimentary towards Yuzu throughout the years with many iconic quotes and I do believe that it was honest.

@citrusjunos Now that we are at it:

Typical category 6 people are Max Ambesi, Daniel Weiss (Ger), the Chinese fellows from CCTV, Nobu and Shuzo and some others.

C5 are the likes of Belinda Noonan, Mark Hanretty, Angelo Dolfini and so on. Maybe Charlie White, too.

C4 are the literal ticking bombs LOL. Can be great, but also a blooper like Carol Lane or Simon Reed.

C3 yeah... well I've unblocked Kurt. Let's see what he will make out of his second chance.

C2 Chris Howarth. I used to like him on B.ESP. But ever since his move to the ISU channel things went downhill with him. Also TAT, with her attitude towards Jason and some other takes in recent years. Terry Gannon? Sometimes I have the feeling that he tries to be nice, but breaks under the pressure of TJ.

C1 Obviously TJ. I did not believe that they could become even worse after US Nationals, but yes. They did. Yags, too (maybe not directly with Yuzu, I don't know, but he did too much other damage).

39 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

In case of Kurt it feels like some sort of redemption commentary. I still remember very vividly all the not so nice things he said about Yuzu shortly before the ISU awards... That's why he belongs somewhere between category 2 and 3 for me.

Carol has indeed moved to category 4 with the latest 'I don't care'-blunder. However, I had the impression that - overall - she's been quite complimentary towards Yuzu throughout the years with many iconic quotes and I do believe that it was honest.

@citrusjunos Now that we are at it:

Typical category 6 people are Max Ambesi, Daniel Weiss (Ger), the Chinese fellows from CCTV, Nobu and Shuzo and some others.

C5 are the likes of Belinda Noonan, Mark Hanretty, Angelo Dolfini and so on. Maybe Charlie White, too.

C4 are the literal ticking bombs LOL. Can be great, but also a blooper like Carol Lane or Simon Reed.

C3 yeah... well I've unblocked Kurt. Let's see what he will make out of his second chance.

C2 Chris Howarth. I used to like him on B.ESP. But ever since his move to the ISU channel things went downhill with him. Also TAT, with her attitude towards Jason and some other takes in recent years. Terry Gannon? Sometimes I have the feeling that he tries to be nice, but breaks under the pressure of TJ.

C1 Obviously TJ. I did not believe that they could become even worse after US Nationals, but yes. They did. Yags, too (maybe not directly with Yuzu, I don't know, but he did too much other damage).

As soon as I heard Carol say she didn't care what it was about, I knew the knives would be out for her because people would take it too literally. To many it sounded as if she really didn't care what it was about... when in reality she means it's so beautiful to watch that she didn't need to know what it was about to appreciate its beauty anyway. It was beautiful no matter what. This was actually a compliment. I"m sure if she knew what this program was about she never would have said that.

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

But you wouldn't necessarily have used 'purin' or 'pudding' to refer to something like these, would you? That's what I'm trying to figure out:

Here is a website that gives a fairly comprehensive history of "purin" arriving in Japan (19th c "Podding") plus modern variations (which include some of your examples) and the detailed step-by-step recipe for making the Japanese "purin".  It's in Japanese but I think google can translate well enough? 

https://www.glico.com/nutrition/tabemono/food/25/index.html

[NEWS]

Since this is turning a bit off topic, let me make amends by sharing the SBS Uchimura Kohei and Hanyu Yuzuru.  Two purin princes in motion.

It's a bit out of topic but I believe the English way of calling all desserts pudding, may come from the fact that before "contemporary" (Victorian) kitchens, the only elaborate desserts a "normal upper class family" (other than royals and people of rank/upper-upper-gentry with enormous kitchens with real baking ovens) could make, were "puddings", that is, either more or less fluid creams, custards... and cakes which can "bake" in a mould in a normal cooking chimney. What we French call "entremets" (which could be translated by "between courses" because it dates from times when meals were served by "courses" in upper society, that is the table covered with dishes in which people could help themselves, but sherbets were also in this category for instance). It included the famous jam puddings and other plum puddings.

Meanwhile in France, until the end of XVIIth Century desserts were called "le fruit" (though fruits were a mere part of it) and epistolary genius Madame de Sévigné would complain that upper middle class were calling it "dessert" (meaning "table clearing"). Her complains were not attended to.

4 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

https://www.snackpack.com/flavorful-favorites/chocolate

https://www.birdscustard.co.uk/

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/263342/homemade-baked-egg-custard/

I also don't quite understand the English way of using 'pudding' to refer to the dessert course in general - although I do enjoy homemade plum pudding at Christmas. :)

Pudding is just generic for the sweet course at the end of the meal.  It can be anything; not necessarily what we know as "pudding". It's just the final course, and started to be, basically, sweet by the end of the 1700's (when meat ceased being the primary ingredient).  Custard has a different history, though I certainly consider it pudding.