General Yuzuru Chat

Awww :knc_brian2:  Isnt Mishin the coach who said "you can beat Hanyu but you can never surpass him"? It seems to me he has had a consistently high regard for Yuzuru (edit: at least in more recent years?) - "mesmerising" is the word Roman used to describe Yuzuru too .......... and it's true, he IS mesmerising, it's like he casts a spell! I love that Mishin says its not only because of his heavenly skating but also because of his personality, he really does captivate people's  hearts :softYuzu:

Mishin's words about Yuzu are beautiful, I like how he appreciates not only his skating but also him as a person. They way he talks about Yuzu genuinely surprised me, he looked somewhat emotional/touched as he spoke, I don't know, I rarely see Mishin like this...(and also given the fact he wasn't always as complimentary about him before. Maybe it's his age lol)

The one minor gripe I have with Mishin's words here is the implication that quads are easy for Yuzuru because of his body type. It isn't his intention, but he kind of downplays the hard work Yuzu has put in. It's probably very ungrateful of me to be annoyed about that detail given that I never expected Mishin to be this complimentary in the first place, but it isn't the first time I've seen someone point to Yuzu's body type as if that's the reason for his success, as if he hasn't had to work for it. 

8 hours ago, BWOZWaltz said:

As someone who was born and bred in Japan, I can say that we've never had the word 'pudding' as sweets/deserts in general.

I remember it was called  'custard pudding' or caramel pudding in my childhood days but the famous 'pucchin purin' became widely popular back in 70's or something and the word 'purin/pudding' became associated mainly with caramel pudding around that time...I think? 

Hi!  Not to dispute or challenge you, but I do recall enjoying "purin" for dessert in my childhood days in the mid 1960's in Tokyo.  Ginza Fujiya (with Peko-chan at the entrance) had strawberry shortcake and purin, which were among the favorites of children back in those days (along with Omu-rice, Sadaharu Oh for baseball and Taiho for Sumo wrestling - oh dear, I am dating myself!)  

Purin is the soft version of flan/ creme caramel and never referred to the that stolid English pudding, which I hated - ugh (deep apologies to the British satellites for this cultural savagery).   Anyway, we can't pronounce "pudding" so "purin" it is.   We seem to prefer our sweets (and figure skaters) to be soft and wiggly.  

This may be old news and might have already been posted here before the Worlds.  ICYMI, here is the TV program S-park (Mar 21 2021) where Yuzu talks about his admiration for Uchimura Kohei, starting around 3:07 mark on the vimeo video (attached to the thread).   He is impressed and inspired by Uchimura pushing himself at age 31 and learning to perform the H-level ("Bretschneider") move - a release with two flips and two twists in the tucked position - on the horizontal bar.   Perhaps not quite the level of quad axel in FS, but it is considered the most difficult release on the horizontal bar.  

This is one of my recent favorite Japanese songs,  by back number.  So glad to see it getting more attention, thanks to Yuzu who mentioned it as his favorite song on WTT announcement.   Apparently, the song is trending now in Japan.  The video is so moving - I wanted to shout to the girl in the video - don't go into the water - don't die, don't give up!   

Suicide rates have been going up in Japan, as in so many countries...  Please reach out to your loved ones!

I'm continuing on my quest of reading the GS fan fests (against better judgement lol), and there's so many fun quotes and predictions that back then seemed pure fantasy, but now 8 years later have already ran past us or are just knocking on the door :winky:

Props to him for continuing to push the technical envelope though - hasn't he mentioned wanting to land all the quads? 4A is a little :smiley_hairpull: but if you think about it, Yuzuru probably has the best shot out of anyone in getting it done (assuming such a jump is indeed possible).

I hope nessie wants to make an appearance soon :'> 

Looks like bad LP here lit up the fire in him. Did he say something like "no more 4CC silver in the future"?

Oh, if we only knew! :1: Super slam legend incoming.......................................... eventually lol 

-----------

I thought i would share the goods, so here are some stuff i really enjoyed while looking through the first 30 or so pages that i hadn't seen before v-v 

Article written highlighting his life and career up until that point: http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=articles&id=2012hanyu

This quote from Blue Flame about his first win at a competition was so cute, i can totally see little toothless Yuzu smiling as he skates! :tumblr_inline_mzx8txTRzl1r8msi5: 

"It was the Daiei Cup held at an ice rink in Shin-Matsudo City, Chiba Prefecture, and I was 6 years old then. When winning the competition, I had no front teeth. But I tried hard to smile during my program because my coach told me 'Smile!' It is totally funny when I watch the video of my performance now! In the video, I was trying hard to skate with a smile, and at the end of the program, I was counting - one, two, three, while holding the finishing pose. That's because my coach told me 'Make sure to keep posing for three seconds'... When I stood on the podium at the Daiei Cup, I lifted my trophy up high, showing it to the audience. Despite wearing a childish sweat suit, I was totally pretending to be just like Plushenko. And I was smiling with no teeth!"

There were some other quotes from Blue flame in there which gave such insights into him as a person. I think i might finally have to buy this book and ask the lovely person that provides english translations with proof of purchase for a copy v-v I have this overwhelming feeling of admiration for Yuzu as a person just reading a couple of simple excerpts, it's almost as if i suddenly feel compelled to make sure i read it all. 

And it seems you're right about the asthma and finlandia trophy @caterpillar, the article i linked above had this to say about it: 

"Yuzuru’s first competition this season was the Finlandia Trophy. He fell on the quad in the short program, but skated a great free, impressively winning the competition. But after finishing the free skate he suddenly lay on the ice, exhausted. It was later reported that he still experienced some pain in the ankle he’d injured in March, and his asthma has exacerbated with the season change. Because of this, he was totally out of shape and had lost a lot of weight. When competing at Finlandia, he was even too skinny to wear his new costume, which was now too big for him."

Here's a cute photo of Yuzu rom the article (trashbag pants and all! it feels really full circle now haha) :> 

EyaVgFXXEAMQIzC?format=jpg&name=small

I also found this lovely fan art (no credit was given by the GS user that posted as they didn't know who made it, sadly)!  

http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/2bb29b12c8fcc3cefa29f8f49245d688d63f20a9.jpg 

Edit: The picture doesn't want to embed :< It needs to be opened in another tab to show

It's based on The borrower - Arrietty :> 

Spoiler

29.jpg

12 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

This is one of my recent favorite Japanese songs,  by back number.  So glad to see it getting more attention, thanks to Yuzu who mentioned it as his favorite song on WTT announcement.   Apparently, the song is trending now in Japan.  The video is so moving - I wanted to shout to the girl in the video - don't go into the water - don't die, don't give up!   

Suicide rates have been going up in Japan, as in so many countries...  Please reach out to your loved ones!

This song really touched me as i was listening to it (+ reading the lyrics) this morning. I've been having a tough time recently and it made me feel a bit more hopeful. I'm really happy that Yuzu recommended it v-v 

Still, i couldn't find it on spotify :// I would love to listen to it regularly, but it seems it's not meant to be.