General Yuzuru Chat

2 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

Iron Klaus translated it as "We were all beginners once. Never lose your humility."
That sounds to me like more of an interpretation than a direct translation though. 

yes it is an interpretation I guess. As far as I understand with my limited Japanese, it is a quote of Zeami who was an important actor for Japanese Noh theatre.

5 minutes ago, Tae Grane said:

yes it is an interpretation I guess. As far as I understand with my limited Japanese, it is a quote of Zeami who was an important actor for Japanese Noh theatre.

Another translation if that helps:

Eta:

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
4 minutes ago, Laura said:

Haha bye-bye Johnny Weir.
In fact, Kohei Uchimura is a dignified, deep and strong personality. Unlike Johnny.

Yuzu'd still very loyal. One of the reasons why we love him dearly.  I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps his allegiance to Johnny. 

20 minutes ago, Tae Grane said:

in his profile he said his favourite motto which is "初心忘るべからず"* I wonder and tried to search but my Japanese is not enough :13877886: Is this a quote from a book or a line from a play of Zeami or just a general saying in Japan? Can someone enlighten me please?

edit: *meaning is "don't forget your first intention"

oKAY so idk why I didn't type it in English in first place but hahaha I found bunch of source. If you are interested in this quote, here is more details
http://feldin.hu/2011/08/23/初心忘るべからず-shoshin-wasuru-bekarazu-remember-your-original-intention/ 
and https://www.the-noh.com/en/zeami/words.html#word01

47 минут назад, Fay сказал:

Yuzu'd still very loyal. One of the reasons why we love him dearly.  I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps his allegiance to Johnny. 

I think he continues to respect Johnny as a skater (early Johnny, not today, for some reason I think so). But I am sure that Yuzu is good at distinguishing between sincere people and false people. And I think he senses Weir's falsehood.

1 hour ago, Laura said:

Haha bye-bye Johnny Weir.
In fact, Kohei Uchimura is a dignified, deep and strong personality. Unlike Johnny.

Lol! Good riddance 😂. With Johnny trash talking and running his mouth, who can blame him?

And yes, Uchimura is a much better person. Good upgrade in admiration.

23 часа назад, tafattsbarn сказал:

Okay so i started the 2012/2013 season fan fest on GS, and Parisienne Walkways was really not well recieved (after the performance during the mariposa gala), nor was his Hello, i love you exhibition lol. People were saying stuff like he 'lost himself and his skating' and that he's 'deterioating' since the coaching change (this was the summer he switched to Orser) and that they were trying too hard to 'make him canadian'. I know that the Orser coaching change wasn't very well recieved at the time, but did it really extend to his choice of programs? 

I'm not sure if we have any fanyus here who were around and active on forums or in the figure skating community at the time, but was that program really thought as a terrible departure and maybe even a mistake?

It's just giving me whiplash to read because it's such an iconic program now, and i personally loved it when i watched it for the first time back in 2015/2016. It's really hard to wrap my head around that it was disliked. 

Thread: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/yuzuru-hanyu-2012-13-season.64265/

Discussions about it starts around page 2 or 3. 

The discussion began a long time ago, but I cannot remain silent. Parisienne Walkways is one of Yuzu's special programs for me. When he skated it in Sochi, I seemed to see a film about a young, mischievous, passionate and charming boy who is happy, free, enjoys life, spring, flirts with girls and charms everyone around him with his happiness. He's like a fresh breeze in this program.
During the Sochi Olympics, I read two NON-sports forums in parallel. The participants of the forum were not fans of FC, they watched it 1 time in 4 years (at the Olympics), and only Plushenko knew from the skaters.)))
And I remember well that when Yuzu came out on the ice with Parisienne Walkways, the general reaction was something like this:
- what a wonderful boy in a blue shirt!
- wow, what a program! I thought figure skating was an old fashioned sight, but it can be so cool and modern!
- he is so weightless, his jumps are so light;
- he looks like young Plushenko in his skating!
- What's his name? maybe I'll start watching figure skating again like when I was a child;
- give him gold right now, no need to wait for another program!)))

1 hour ago, Tae Grane said:

in his profile he said his favourite motto which is "初心忘るべからず"* I wonder and tried to search but my Japanese is not enough :13877886: Is this a quote from a book or a line from a play of Zeami or just a general saying in Japan? Can someone enlighten me please?

edit: *meaning is "don't forget your first intention"

It's a common saying in Japan.  literally, it means "Don't forget the feeling when you first began (as in being an apprentice or novice)".   "Shoshin" 初心 - it reminds us to be humble and not to lose the awe and wonderment when you first began the journey, and not to become jaded or arrogant, complacent, etc.  

Just for fun - All new drivers in Japan have to place the "Shoshinsha" mark on their cars. We are reminded to drive carefully and mindfully, like a shoshin-sha (but with better skills, lol):   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshinsha_mark