General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, Kizuna said:

WHATTTTTT.

What kind of privileged middle school did you attend? How come I never got to watch those? :wut:

HAHAHAHAH @Kizuna primary sch for us in Msia :hihi: I was around 9?? that time when I watched

my teacher might be a fanyu too i shouldve asked her before I graduated:embSwan: this might be my biggest regret

edit: ah I forgot about my figure skater senior. I asked her who Yuzu is and iirc,, she's a fan too after rnj1. She then introduced other skaters. Thats my first fall into fs pit:xD:

I love how C-chan always waxes poetic about Yuzu. But he deserves it. :girlsigh:

I have to say I liked the design of the Notte Stellata watch much better. Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to buy it last year. I would've prefered for Citizen to use Origin 2.0 costume as an inspiration for the new watch. This one looks a bit plain for my taste.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
6 hours ago, lajoitko said:

[NEWS]

SOI broadcasting information

If I am understanding this right, there will be live (?) broadcast on Friday and Saturday and they will broadcast Sunday too with some special content on 5/30. Hopefully someone with better Japanese will correct me and explain more...

Yes, they will broadcast SOI live on TBS Cable Channel (CS TBS) on April 23 and 24.  Sunday April 25 performance and interviews plus backstage specials will be shown on May 30.   I will watch it on ForJoyTV - which includes both CS TBS channels in the package.   

1 hour ago, Sombreuil said:

I read back after I became a fan after the CoC disaster.  I think there were a lot of older fans ( though not as old as me probably😉) who were heavily invested in the cute Japanese boy with the elegant Japanese lady coach, skating to music they enjoyed and they really didn’t like the move to Canada and disliked ‘ noisy’ PW.  It spoiled their preconceptions.  I doubt if they realised that R&J 1 was partly a result of collaboration with Russian coaches/choreographers, or that he’d spent some time training in Russia.   I think they saw him as an ethereal Jason Brown figure.   I don’t think they really saw him as a contender.  It’s what I was talking about a week or two ago - a sort of unconscious condescending racism.

Yes, it did rather feel like that while i was reading. Very uncomfortable. 

Thank you for sharing! 

1 hour ago, Melodie said:

Look at the height and distance of the 3A, the smooth transition into the spin, how fast, centered and on the beat it is, and Yuzu’s presence emanating even through the screen or from afar :fire:

"Mäktigt" = powerful 

I couldn't agree more. 

3 hours ago, tafattsbarn said:

Okay so i started the 2012/2013 season fan fest on GS, and Parisienne Walkways was really not well recieved (after the performance during the mariposa gala), nor was his Hello, i love you exhibition lol. People were saying stuff like he 'lost himself and his skating' and that he's 'deterioating' since the coaching change (this was the summer he switched to Orser) and that they were trying too hard to 'make him canadian'. I know that the Orser coaching change wasn't very well recieved at the time, but did it really extend to his choice of programs? 

I'm not sure if we have any fanyus here who were around and active on forums or in the figure skating community at the time, but was that program really thought as a terrible departure and maybe even a mistake?

It's just giving me whiplash to read because it's such an iconic program now, and i personally loved it when i watched it for the first time back in 2015/2016. It's really hard to wrap my head around that it was disliked. 

Thread: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/yuzuru-hanyu-2012-13-season.64265/

Discussions about it starts around page 2 or 3. 

I don't recall any particularly negative discussions in the Japanese media about Yuzu's programs for 2012/2013 season.   I never paid attention to FS forum like GS, so I have no idea about what was discussed back then among the die-hard Japanese fans.  In the mainstream media, there was more concern about his asthma and lack of stamina, while there was a lot more intensity and interest around Daisuke back then.  No one thought Yuzu would be ready for the 2014 Olympics, (including me!) although we were certain he will rise up and be ready for the next Olympics (PC).   I only started realizing that he might be ready for 2014 during the JNats in Dec 2013.  I still recall very vividly watching him on a small TV screen in the very best Ryokan (traditional inn) in Kyoto with my sister.  This was a special holiday break I gave to myself after a very grueling year at work with almost non-stop travel.  Now I am glad to have that beautiful historic inn - Hiiragiya 柊家   forever connected with my pre-Sochi memories.  https://www.hiiragiya.co.jp/  

I think that NHK documentary about Yuzu's first year in Toronto at TCC was widely watched and very well received. It made many of us casual FS viewers (as I was back then) realize how much he will benefit from training with Orser and the TCC team in building up his skating foundation.  That narrative struck a very positive chord with the Japanese audience - we generally appreciate the importance of doing the boring grunt work which underly any beautiful piece of art work.  There was something very master-craftsman-like in the way Yuzu was being nurtured and polished at TCC, which we loved.   

Also, I noticed that many Japanese fans loved his teenie bopper programs like Believe and Hello - and I remember being annoyed because I was not a fan.    So you can call me that grumpy old auntie! lol But I really enjoyed his PW and was delighted to see it performed live at SCI2019!  That was the event where I met up with many of you in person, and we had so much fun screaming together like teenagers - in a beautiful Canadian setting.  So many precious memories - thank you to everyone on this Forum! 

Honestly. I feel so proud that Yuzu has made it to this list of skaters who were first to land a new jump. And he might make it for a second time :softYuzu:

I started to create this breakdown about a week before Worlds. It was an incredible amount of research work and it's not even completed yet (the historic part about the inventors is still in the making).

It's always a little risk to share information like this, but my motivation and drive was to create a guide for fans who are not that familiar with figure skating jumps and don't want to dive too deep into the technical stuff. But it's also for long-time fans, who are interested to discover some new historical bits and easter eggs.

I hope, that you like it :winky:

I remember watching PW for the first time and I didn´t like it. For me it was the music because I didn´t like blues and jazz in general. Yuzu made me forget the music and for me it was a sign of how good he already was. But it took me awhile before I could really appreciate the program. And I think it took awhile for Yuzu too to really absorb the program and make it his own. For me the turning point was somewhere between GP France and GPF 2013 when I really fell for the program. Now it is one of my favorites and my music taste is broader because of him.

I just rewatched this, and wow, he's really come such a long way stamina wise (and in basically every other aspect of his technique). It's rather incredible actually. 

Edit: When i say technique i'm not referring to jump technique (he's always had good jump technique, even fixing his flip), i moreso meant skating skills and performance wise + carriage etc 

4 hours ago, tafattsbarn said:

Okay so i started the 2012/2013 season fan fest on GS, and Parisienne Walkways was really not well recieved (after the performance during the mariposa gala), nor was his Hello, i love you exhibition lol. People were saying stuff like he 'lost himself and his skating' and that he's 'deterioating' since the coaching change (this was the summer he switched to Orser) and that they were trying too hard to 'make him canadian'. I know that the Orser coaching change wasn't very well recieved at the time, but did it really extend to his choice of programs? 

I'm not sure if we have any fanyus here who were around and active on forums or in the figure skating community at the time, but was that program really thought as a terrible departure and maybe even a mistake?

It's just giving me whiplash to read because it's such an iconic program now, and i personally loved it when i watched it for the first time back in 2015/2016. It's really hard to wrap my head around that it was disliked. 

Thread: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/yuzuru-hanyu-2012-13-season.64265/

Discussions about it starts around page 2 or 3. 

I wasn't on GS around that time but I remember when I read the news that Yuzu moved to Toronto to train at the Cricket Club I thought it would be a good decision and I was looking forward to see how he'd do with the new coaching team. I wasn't really fond of Parisienne Walkways at the beginning but it actually grew on me a lot later, it just needed a bit time.

1 minute ago, tafattsbarn said:

I just rewatched this, and wow, he's really come such a long way stamina wise (and in basically every other aspect of his technique). It's rather incredible actually. 

He was great back then only his stamina wasn't good.

I love this fancam because they were so close to the rink, and it shows things like ice coverage well...It was a strong debut in the beginning of the season, the only bigger mistake was popping that one Toe-loop. Wasn't it his best first pancake? LOL Also it was the first time he went for both 4T and 4S and he landed both of them :clap:

4 hours ago, tafattsbarn said:

People were saying stuff like he 'lost himself and his skating' and that he's 'deterioating' since the coaching change (this was the summer he switched to Orser) and that they were trying too hard to 'make him canadian'. I know that the Orser coaching change wasn't very well recieved at the time, but did it really extend to his choice of programs? 

4 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I mean not just people with differing opinions. Kinda similar to what Evgenia went through when SHE moved to Canada. I think she got the exact same line: they are trying too hard to make her Canadian (in response to that Orange Sky SP).

Argh. When she even said at the  at the time that the song was one she always wanted to do. granted, the first costume was not her cup of tea but she at least gave it a go. 

Anyone would think there was something inherently wrong and bad about becoming a little Canadian, the way people go on. And do these 'fans' not read any of Orser's interviews? He always makes it 100% crystal clear that he and his team respect and support their skaters' choices. Orser is the kind of coach that enables a skater become fully themselves on the ice, as opposed to dictating every single thing and stamping out carbon-copy athletes with no sense of their own identity. 

18 minutes ago, tafattsbarn said:

He really has improved his stamina so much, but if I remember correctly this skate was used in the 24h tv charity show 2017 as an example of his asthma acting up during competition, so I think that was affecting his stamina here as well. But on the other hand, comparing this performance to Ten to Chi to at worlds still shows a huge improvement.