General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Yuzurella said:

Yuzu being the very clear numero uno by very, very far is so obvious! :strong:

The same is true with Google search results. Yuzu is by far the most searched among figure skaters. And I'm sure that's also the case on Chinese Weibo.

But I am very much surprised by Vincent at second place. I certainly didn't expect that. :eek:

If i remember correctly then 88rising reposted Zhou's performance of Slow dancing in the dark by Joji (an artist under them) from 2019 World's on youtube + instagram. He's pretty big and it went semi viral, i even remember it popping up on my kpop twitter account where i don't follow anything about figure skating lol. The same program but performed on Stars on ice or something filmed by On ice perpsectives also got a decent amount of views. 

This is why it sometimes pays off to make poppy or trendy music choices when you're a skater :> 

[NEWS]

I watched the CBC broadcast of the Worlds gala and thought I would transcribe the commentators' words, for those who speak other languages or who might want to translate. :) 

https://www.cbc.ca/player/sports/figure skating "Road to the Olympic Games: 2021 World Figure Skating Championships - The Gala" video

Commentators: Brenda Irving, Kurt Browning, Carol Lane

Some of the performances in this broadcast were moved around and some were cut. Yuzu was the second-last skater shown. He appears around 1:23:00.

Unlike many of the other performances from this broadcast, none of the commentators spoke a single word during Yuzu's performance.

BI: An absolutely lovely skate by the 2-time World and Olympic champion, and you know, the less I hear from the two of you, the better the skate I know it is.

KB: He had me at "konnichiwa." [A joke referring to a famous line "you had me at hello" from the movie "Jerry Maguire," which one character says to another to tell him she still loves him.]

CL: I don't really know what that was about, and I don't care.

KB: Don't care.

CL: Because it was just so beautiful.

KB: So many lovely moments, so calm, so peaceful, great acting with his face. (CL: Yes.) I think what - that story he was telling, he believes in it from the bottom of his blades. (CL: Yes.) That was beautiful.

["From the bottom of his blades": a joke referring to the saying "from the bottom of your heart", meaning he believes in what he's doing with his whole heart.]

CL: So authentic and just - joyous. There was a joyousness through the whole thing.

KB: And this triple Axel was a flourish - to have the camera that close and to be a part of it, it was so exciting.

["a flourish": Kurt probably means that the 3A wasn't even really needed but was another beautiful/cool thing Yuzu showed he could do well, on top of what was already in the program, like a "cherry on top."]

I like their comments here because it speaks to the discussion that has been happening about the use of "ethnic" or non-Western music. Some prominent people have spoken up about Asian skaters using Asian music, saying that it's a bad choice because it won't be understood by non-Asian people and therefore will not be appreciated. Carol and Kurt did not seem to have that problem at all. They admitted they had no idea what the program was about, couldn't understand the lyrics, but they loved it anyway and were captured by the way Yuzu was emoting. Kurt understood that Yuzu was telling a story and was moved by it, even if he didn't know what that story was. That is how figure skating should be. The story doesn't have to be relevant to your culture in order for you to appreciate it! :wink_star:

2 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Sorry, but I just couldn't not :mischief:

PS: It might be that I forgot to count a Yuzu video... or two... gomen Yuzu!

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

Well, I'm really happy to see Jun on that list - as #4. Love that boy.

9 minutes ago, fyere0 said:

[NEWS]

I watched the CBC broadcast of the Worlds gala and thought I would transcribe the commentators' words, for those who speak other languages or who might want to translate. :) 

https://www.cbc.ca/player/sports/figure skating "Road to the Olympic Games: 2021 World Figure Skating Championships - The Gala" video

Commentators: Brenda Irving, Kurt Browning, Carol Lane

Some of the performances in this broadcast were moved around and some were cut. Yuzu was the second-last skater shown. He appears around 1:23:00.

Unlike many of the other performances from this broadcast, none of the commentators spoke a single word during Yuzu's performance.

BI: An absolutely lovely skate by the 2-time World and Olympic champion, and you know, the less I hear from the two of you, the better the skate I know it is.

KB: He had me at "konnichiwa." [A joke referring to a famous line "you had me at hello" from the movie "Jerry Maguire," which one character says to another to tell him she still loves him.]

CL: I don't really know what that was about, and I don't care.

KB: Don't care.

CL: Because it was just so beautiful.

KB: So many lovely moments, so calm, so peaceful, great acting with his face. (CL: Yes.) I think what - that story he was telling, he believes in it from the bottom of his blades. (CL: Yes.) That was beautiful.

["From the bottom of his blades": a joke referring to the saying "from the bottom of your heart", meaning he believes in what he's doing with his whole heart.]

CL: So authentic and just - joyous. There was a joyousness through the whole thing.

KB: And this triple Axel was a flourish - to have the camera that close and to be a part of it, it was so exciting.

["a flourish": Kurt probably means that the 3A wasn't even really needed but was another beautiful/cool thing Yuzu showed he could do well, on top of what was already in the program, like a "cherry on top."]

I like their comments here because it speaks to the discussion that has been happening about the use of "ethnic" or non-Western music. Some prominent people have spoken up about Asian skaters using Asian music, saying that it's a bad choice because it won't be understood by non-Asian people and therefore will not be appreciated. Carol and Kurt did not seem to have that problem at all. They admitted they had no idea what the program was about, couldn't understand the lyrics, but they loved it anyway and were captured by the way Yuzu was emoting. Kurt understood that Yuzu was telling a story and was moved by it, even if he didn't know what that story was. That is how figure skating should be. The story doesn't have to be relevant to your culture in order for you to appreciate it! :wink_star:

Thank you! I like Kurt and Carol's commentary of Yuzuru's skating, they always seem to convey the beauty of it, how amazingly talented he is, and obviously respect him highly as the legend that he is.

11 hours ago, Umebachi said:

Umedonguri offers an interpretation of TTCT's historic background - Lord Kenshin's musings behind the performance...  

All the discussions about Ten to Chi to made me want to go back to painting. It's hard to do the costume justice but I tried :redface: