General Yuzuru Chat

16 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

They could but Yuzu brings the most money for them. Canadaian fed said already before Worlds that they would select skaters who will not compete at Worlds, since it's impossible to fly back to Canada, quarantine there and go to Japan.

Thank you so much once more! It is great, you have tons of info. Muuchas gracias :heartpound:!

So if I understand properly it has been just a JFed decission, since they had some degrees of freedom to chose. 

So if I understand correctly, Jason should have flought to USA instead to his training base in Canada so he can attend WTT? Or is it possible that he (and other skateres) who had to quarantine if going back to their training bases have already travelled to Japan just after WC so they can train at some ice rink in Japan? I don't know how many countries has a "quarantine" rule.... 

6 hours ago, Esopian said:

There's been so many rivalries with Yuzu over his skating career and I've wanted to ask this to the forum for a while: who has been your "favorite" rival of Yuzu's? It could be anyone: Javi, Patrick, Machida, Shoma, etc. 

I am going to be little biased because he was one of my favorite skaters before he retired so for me it's Patrick and Yuzu rivalry, I still remember the way they were "fighting" to see who would be the one to score over 100 in the short and each of them getting closer and closer, each of them chasing the OGM like there was no tomorrow Yuzu's with Parisian Walkways and everything was just too iconic 

7 minutes ago, bubzsy said:

Hmmm assuming both Jason and Yuzu will compete, is brian or tracy will be there?

But they cannot if they returned back to Canada.

8 minutes ago, bubzsy said:

Hmmm assuming both Jason and Yuzu will compete, is brian or tracy will be there?

Gishlain is the only one who could be there... If I am right...

6 minutes ago, Paskud said:

Nothing disgusts me right now as much as Japan: both organisers, Nagashima, JSF and every single person who is excited and is just considering buying tickets.

It's like the raging pandemic doesnt exist. I'm in shock right now.

15 minutes ago, Muralla17 said:

Thank you so much once more! It is great, you have tons of info. Muuchas gracias :heartpound:!

So if I understand properly it has been just a JFed decission, since they had some degrees of freedom to chose. 

So if I understand correctly, Jason should have flought to USA instead to his training base in Canada so he can attend WTT? Or is it possible that he (and other skateres) who had to quarantine if going back to their training bases have already travelled to Japan just after WC so they can train at some ice rink in Japan? I don't know how many countries has a "quarantine" rule.... 

Jason has said he would fly back to his hometown in USA after WC. He wanted to see his parents whom he hasnt seen almost a year.

Usually Jason's parents will travel & watch him at competitions but with Covid going on they cant.

So if Jason goes for WTT he will fly from US, Chicago I think is his hometown.

Just now, Paskud said:

And their answer? More Japanese judges! That will solve the problem, right?:ugly004:

Japanese judges are a lost cause in that regard, of course. But more Asian representation would be fair in the bigger picture, especially with the absurd "wEsErners cAn'T UndersAnd AsiAn muSic" charade. The way judges are selected is a huge issue in general.

But I'm not holding my breath.

6 hours ago, Esopian said:

Really agree with these two comments. It would be so awkward for the U.S. media if Yuzu re***** before the Beijing Olympics and they have no narrative to feed anymore.

He's been stating in multiple interviews that he's not set on going to Beijing yet (though he did say in a press conference after the 2018 Olympics that if he was to go to Beijing, then he would aim to win).

It feel like each Olympics he participated in, the media puts him some type of rivalry. In Sochi it was Patrick Chan and in Pyeongchang there were multiple contenders but mainly the press fed the Nathan vs Yuzu narrative. 

There's been so many rivalries with Yuzu over his skating career and I've wanted to ask this to the forum for a while: who has been your "favorite" rival of Yuzu's? It could be anyone: Javi, Patrick, Machida, Shoma, etc. 

I think the Javi rivalry was the best in terms of sportsmanship and excitement. Knowing they trained together made it even better - like there was no possible way of showing up and surprising each other because they were both completely aware of each other's capabilities. With Patrick, Yuzu was still coming into his potential. I don't think Patrick considered Yuzu a rival until the short at Sochi. I know he'd beaten him before and had just won GPF, but I think Patrick didn't quite see that it wasn't a fluke and that he himself still had a good buffer if he skated to his usual standard. Shoma is interesting because you can see that chasing Yuzu has pushed him and when things come together for Shoma we get these moments of brilliance but it's also clear that Shoma is just supremely talented. I think Javi is the only true rival Yuzu has ever really had, except perhaps now with Nathan. The difference with Javi was the friendship that underpinned that rivalry and brought out the absolute best in it.

2 hours ago, Melodie said:

Full entries :/ Since the gold medalists are here can they just send the silver medalists too, or can all teams follow Canada to send out alternative teams? Asking for a friend :/

Do they really think this is a good idea? I'm so done with ISU honestly

A bit more information about WTT:  In Japan at least, you apparently have to pay TV Asahi (something like Fuji on demand, I guess) to have live viewing of the practices, competition, and some extra video footage.  By doing this, they are trying to force people to buy tickets to the real event; ticket sales begin this coming Saturday. At least Fuji On Demand had a free 2-week trial period during Worlds.  This does not include the Gala, which will be shown in movie theaters, and of course you have to pay for this. Having people in a movie theater during an epidemic is incredibly irresponsible and money grubbing :animated-smileys-angry-041: !  

Don't know if TV Asahi will show recorded footage of WTT at a later date.

Wondering if there will be an ISU Youtube stream, but this will probably be blocked in Japan and other countries with participants in the WTT.