General Yuzuru Chat

25 minutes ago, Veveco said:

We're basically at the start of the Olympic season. Of course media will play the narrative game and prop up US and Russian skaters to the moon. Nothing new there. Look how they talked about him back in 2017. Steel yourself for incredibly biased reporting or ignore it all together. There will be a lot of bad takes from experts and previous skaters.

My vote goes to ignoring. Given how crass certain commentators can be, they only ramp up and get worse the closer we get. I'm going on a skating fast until Yuzuru reappears somewhere.

I hate Olympic season for this reason. Media is insufferable...

Regarding the preolympic media narratives...i dont get it why they are still on the the nathan vs yuzu when Yuzu clearly stated that he didn't aim for olympic gold medal this time.Imagine if Yuzu decides not to participate in the Beijing Olympic..or retire before that..what the narratives going to be?

58 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

Hi, welcome ! :) to answer your query, I think that based on the results on the international scene, it is undeniable Nathan seems unbeatable because of his athleticism and impressive consistency, and as it is, tech takes precedence over artistry in the scores as it is « more objective ». Consistency is something Yuzu has always striven for and he has always admired those who can achieve it because it represents mental strength to him. Back in the days when he was chasing after Chan, this is one thing he really admired about him. Yuzu has worked harder than anyone to reach this consistency, but what he wants above all is perfection, which means the perfect balance between technicity and artistry. And once he achieves that he ups the antes because if he can do it, then perfection must be something even higher. Because of his insane work ethic and the meaning he wants to put in each one of his moves, every programme becomes a carefully crafted work of art, but in the process, Yuzu also exhausts himself. His body has been battered over the years : multiple injuries and like it or not, Yuzu cannot help being emotional and let these emotions interfere sometimes with his performances, which also explains his « lack of consistency », meaning his « lack of victories » compared to his capacities. Because Yuzu is consistent in a way as he’s always been on the podium, but paradoxically, could have won more if he had played it safer or simply considered this sport as a sport only. We, as fans know that because we’ve been following Yuzu's journey very closely, but the sport commentators don’t understand him that intimately, at the end of the day, they only base their judgment on the results. But most people understand that Yuzu is something else, and that he is an athlete who is above results and even the system. He lives and breathes figure skating to elevate it to something higher. Which is why at this point, it doesn’t matter how many times Nathan wins, Yuzu will be the one remembered. 

Nathan Chen is athletic and has good, if stiff, jumps.  But that's not reason he beats Yuzu.  It's the biased scoring. Pure and simple.

1 hour ago, Kat said:

Even outside of competitions. If you say you like Figure Skating and follow up with Yuzuru as your favorite skater...be prepared for blow back, gate keeping, and elitism.

"You're not a REAL fan." Level sniping.

counter gate keep them by quizzing them on figure skating minutiae you have memorized. "What's the BV of a 3F? How many GOE marks are supposed to be taken off for a q call? name the steps and turns that the ISU considers "difficult" for the purposes of step sequence leveling, and describe what each of them involves."

4 minutes ago, shanshani said:

counter gate keep them by quizzing them on figure skating minutiae you have memorized. "What's the BV of a 3F? How many GOE marks are supposed to be taken off for a q call? name the steps and turns that the ISU considers "difficult" for the purposes of step sequence leveling, and describe what each of them involves."

I'm going to commit some of those to memory! I usually just go white noise blank and look stupid while they either get meaner, or smug. 

1 hour ago, Kat said:

Even outside of competitions. If you say you like Figure Skating and follow up with Yuzuru as your favorite skater...be prepared for blow back, gate keeping, and elitism.

"You're not a REAL fan." Level sniping.

Indeed, sad and repeated experience, kinda pathetic tbh 🙄 Usually I just smile and walk away because eeeeh, whatever. I lose less time shrugging and enjoying something that they apparently can’t appreciate, sucks to be them really 🤷🏻‍♂️
But countering with legit knowledge of the rules and FS in general is good too of course, I’m too annoyed/tired for this now though after years of arguing with anti ;; all the power to those of you who still have the patience and/or strength to choose this other route 

1 minute ago, mikawinnie said:

Indeed, sad and repeated experience, kinda pathetic tbh 🙄 Usually I just smile and walk away because eeeeh, whatever. I lose less time shrugging and enjoying something that they apparently can’t appreciate, sucks to be them really 🤷🏻‍♂️
But countering with legit knowledge of the rules and FS in general is good too of course, I’m too annoyed/tired for this now though after years of arguing with anti ;; all the power to those of you who still have the patience and/or strength to choose this other route 

I usually get flustered and come off as an idiot. 😂. I always seem to find the worst gate keepers.😂😂😂. I tend to do my best to stay quiet or deflect. Some I've encountered only get really nasty if I say Yuzuru's name, so I just try not to go there. The fight isnt worth it. I just want to enjoy what I like w/o being shamed.

11 minutes ago, lynnidolz said:

Regarding the preolympic media narratives...i dont get it why they are still on the the nathan vs yuzu when Yuzu clearly stated that he didn't aim for olympic gold medal this time.Imagine if Yuzu decides not to participate in the Beijing Olympic..or retire before that..what the narratives going to be?

Oh I don't know, probably they'd say NC gonna sail unopposed right for the gold medal? He walks to it on a red carpet? The gold medal handed to him on a silver platter? It's his competition to lose? /s /s /s /s

Not very interesting narratives it seems :P , of course there will be plausible contenders to him (if Yuzu were really to be out of the picture) but even with this kind of narrative (Nathan is the "it" skater, Yuzu is oBvIOuSLy past his prime), you gotta admit that the only skater that could consistently heh! become the thorn on NC's side is Yuzu (...which, shouldn't this tell you about something?? :P :P :P :P )

Fans are posting pictures for Yuzu using the hashtag #隔離中の羽生くんへ over on Twitter. Lots of cherry blossoms and cats.

It makes me happy to see him so cherished.

Eta: There is also another hashtag used, #羽生結弦さんとりあえず猫をどうぞ:

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
1 minute ago, shanshani said:

once I get better at recognizing steps and turns and memorize the StSq rules I'll have the ultimate gatekeeping tool :xD:

You will!.....can I hide behind your back and be the hype man going "yeah!" 👀😂😂

15 分, lynnidolzさんが言いました:

It is because Yuzu is the only guy who regularly gets over 300 and even 320 sometimes in recent years except Nathan. Unless Yuma or others like Shoma get these scores, they have no other choices. And Yuzu brings ratings and clicks.

Just now, CaroSkate said:

It is because Yuzu is the only guy who regularly gets over 300 and even 320 sometimes in recent years except Nathan. Unless Yuma or others like Shoma get these scores, they have no other choices. And Yuzu brings ratings and clicks.

The narrative will most likely become veiled insults and shots at Yuzuru. "He knew he couldnt win-such a shame, blah, blah, blah"

OR

They will pretend they always loved him and will miss his skating, before dropping him after 30 secs to go BUT LOOK AT THESE NEW SKATERS.