General Yuzuru Chat

Full German ARD ONE Commentary on Yuzu's SP by Daniel Weiss:

"How much we will be entertained, depends on the jumps, too. Quadruple Salchow coming up... Yes, sir! Tight, but good.

Quadruple-triple...

[He remained silent until the end of the performance]

Insane. Everything right on the accent of the music. That was pure entertainment, that was insane. The Galactic is back! Yuzuru Hanyu. Who shall stop this man?

Brian Orser. [Camera showing him at the rinkside]

Normally it would rain Winnie The Poohs now. The superstar from Japan. There are no words for this. Which superlatives shall you find, for these three minutes? Every accent fit there. I'm sure, in the program components there will be some tens and rightly so. The program components alone-

Let's listen what Brian says to him: 'So much fun!' That's true. He had fun out there.

9.75 [for] skating skills, transitions 9.36, performance 9.68, choreography 9.54, interpretation 9.71 points.

[Replay showing the Salchow] The quad! [Replay showing 4T+3T] The second quad, perfect position in the air. Costume matching [the program] with the black blades. Triple added after it.

This is from a different planet [literally: from another star], who shall stop him? There is only one man on this planet who can stop him and he comes second to last and his name is Nathan Chen.

That was, for me, the best short program in the history of figure skating.

[This part has been cut from the short clip, but it's available in the full broadcast]

To have the coolness to translate every accent of the music into [body] movements, to focus on the choreography [and] the difficult quadruple jumps. Fantastic. That will be the lead of course and with a big margin and it will be top scores. 111.82 is his personal best.

[Scores announced]

I think, he would have deserved to top that record. He is satisfied with almost 107 points, but honestly: this choreography, this performance - That was a cracker!"

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
8 hours ago, Purple said:

Shoma will teach Yuzu how to level up at gaming. By 10 levels. Lol.

Yuzu will teach Shoma how to jump a proper 4S. If he can get Shoma off the bed.

On a serious note, I'm sure they'll be in separate rooms as required by quarantine protocols.

Actually, based on the post on the TCC Instagram site, it sounds like they aren't even going to be in the same hotel. So much for shonen shenanigans....I was envisioning them having a lot of fun challenging each other to do harder and harder things on the ice. 

6 hours ago, hananistellata said:

If the Olympics do get boycotted, what exactly will happen? Will they be hosted in a different country of will we completely skip a whole Olympics?

Moscow 1980 was the last Olympic boycott...or maybe it was LA 1984? Either way, the IOC just completely ignores the situation and blithely carries on holding the Olympics as originally planned. The boycotting countries are simply left out of the Games. 

I don't know. My feeling is the pandemic will sink the Olympics long before boycotts come into play. The Tokyo Games are going ahead and goodness only knows how that will go, and once it's over I suspect everyone involved in organizing the Beijing Games will be looking closely at the outcome and make decisions based on that. It's what I'd do. 

1 hour ago, TurtleCere said:

Hello, 

First time I post here. 

I'm relatively newish to figure skating so I'm not knowledgeable about the technical aspect of it. After World, it looks like many in the figure skating world are considering Nathan as the unbeatable king and many "experts" in the field (coaches, skaters and commentators) are praising his athleticism and artistry, basically implying that he's unbeatable and that Yuzuru is done and past his prime. 

I noticed that it's not only US commentators but also experts from other countries, the only exception being Ambesi. While ordinary people like me still seem to prefer Yuzu and his unparalleled artistry. 

Why do so many experts seem to prefer Nathan to Yuzu? 

I also would like to add that this is just my personal impression after reading sport articles and navigating in social media, and might not be necessarily objective. 

Welcome!

Yuzu has proven his critics wrong so many times that I tend to consider 'experts' who prefer Nathan to Yuzu as being in denial of history, and therefore mildly delusional. I'm really not sure why they think the way they do. Nathan has lots of ability but IMO he's not better than Yuzu at anything.  

1 hour ago, TurtleCere said:

Hello, 

First time I post here. 

I'm relatively newish to figure skating so I'm not knowledgeable about the technical aspect of it. After World, it looks like many in the figure skating world are considering Nathan as the unbeatable king and many "experts" in the field (coaches, skaters and commentators) are praising his athleticism and artistry, basically implying that he's unbeatable and that Yuzuru is done and past his prime. 

I noticed that it's not only US commentators but also experts from other countries, the only exception being Ambesi. While ordinary people like me still seem to prefer Yuzu and his unparalleled artistry. 

I also would like to add that this is just my personal impression after reading sport articles and navigating in social media, and might not be necessarily objective. 

Hello there! Hope you'll enjoy your time here~

As answered before,  it's  mostly the narrative.. figure skating isn't exactly like tennis or most of other sports. Those experts, added with the media and feds narratives influenced it further. Now I don't follow Nate's career so I can't attest to how consistent he is.. however, Yuzu himself isn't inconsistent by any standard. Plus he's been in the league for over 10 yrs (seniors) if that longevity and achievements doesn't say something idk what will. But again, it's natural  that  people start  to  look for story, a contender, who can go above Yuzu and that, now, is Nathan. His advantage is  obvious, his technical elements.. he doesn't need to execute all in perfect quality and it'll be enough to beat Yuzu because that's what the judges will  give. No matter if his component score or overall quality is average. Unless Yuzu has perfect,  flawfree program, they might  not reward him as he should.

Anyway that kind of competition narrative is what they want.. they're longing for a new star, maybe. Ofc I'm not saying that Yuzu will be the only star worthy, because if there exists such quality like Yuzu then we'll be able to see it, the thing is we (I'm saying we generally) don't.

I'm more concerned that it has come to such expense that he may think he's not gonna get rewarded properly or that they don't appreciate his improvement due to the corrupted judging.. such a shame really because I used to enjoy just watching skating more while now it's hard to overlook such unfairness (not talking only about Yuzu as we  know..).

Sorry I feel like I'm going off on tangent haha..

1 hour ago, shanshani said:

[...] a lot of these people are paid to yammer and consequently overreact to the latest competition result. If Yuzu hadn't had an asthma attack and had repeated his Jnats performance, you can be sure the narrative would be different.

Yup. A lot of people see the clean performance, then the error-filled performance and conclude that the clean one is automatically king-level.

They quickly tend to overlook the quality details and also the circumstances [most were not even aware of the asthma attack].

However, I had the impression - especially during the gala - that MANY commentators from different places are very fond of Yuzu's skating and particularly praised his ability to touch people emotionally. I remember the Swedish commentators, the Greek, the Chinese... they still consider him as the greatest, in spite of the results.

Also, Daniel Weiss has noted that most of the comments during the broadcast were about Yuzu. During the short, during the free... even the pairs event (lol :laughing:) and the gala as well. It's a plain fact that he is still the most captivating and electrifying skater out there - not only in men's, but across all disciplines and I'm sure, whatever the commentators' emotion of the moment is - if you ask them the next they, most of them will still agree that Yuzu is beyond the rest.

EDIT:

It's unbelievable that it's so hard for him to skate clean...

It really feels like there is ALWAYS some unnecessary shit happening around him. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. An earthquake, an asthma attack, a damaged ankle, a warm-up crash, a stomach surgery, a stolen passport from his coach, travelling overkill... I stopped counting.

Even, when he had the performances of his life, there were obstacles like... he had to cool his foot with ice packs in Barcelona 2015, asthma attack in Helsinki 2017, skating on painkillers in PyeongChang...

I wonder, how many titles other skaters would have won, if they had to face all this mess that he did.

1 hour ago, shanshani said:

also don't like the presence of fanyus

Hooo boy do they ever hate fanyus...there seems to be a general sense of offense over the presence of vocal and enthusiastic fans of any kind, though. There is absolutely a cadre of pearl-clutchers amongst long-time followers of the sport who think the whole fan experience should be more like watching golf. Had conversations with a few at various competitions and wow. 

25 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

EDIT:

It's unbelievable that he just can't skate clean...

It really feels like there is ALWAYS some unnecessary shit happening around him. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. An earthquake, an asthma attack, a damaged ankle, a warm-up crash, a stomach surgery, a stolen passport from his coach, travelling overkill... I stopped counting.

I wonder, how many titles other skaters would have won, if they had to face all this mess that he did.

And he truly is amazing to think of all he has won with all these things happening!   Though they contribute to make him who he is today. Something I read recently, Suffering produces endurance and endurance produces character.

11 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

...Had conversations with a few at various competitions and wow. 

Even outside of competitions. If you say you like Figure Skating and follow up with Yuzuru as your favorite skater...be prepared for blow back, gate keeping, and elitism.

"You're not a REAL fan." Level sniping.

Or newest gem: Yuzuru is more of an idol than a skater

2 hours ago, TurtleCere said:

Hello, 

First time I post here. 

Hi, welcome ! :) to answer your query, I think that based on the results on the international scene, it is undeniable Nathan seems unbeatable because of his athleticism and impressive consistency, and as it is, tech takes precedence over artistry in the scores as it is « more objective ». Consistency is something Yuzu has always striven for and he has always admired those who can achieve it because it represents mental strength to him. Back in the days when he was chasing after Chan, this is one thing he really admired about him. Yuzu has worked harder than anyone to reach this consistency, but what he wants above all is perfection, which means the perfect balance between technicity and artistry. And once he achieves that he ups the antes because if he can do it, then perfection must be something even higher. Because of his insane work ethic and the meaning he wants to put in each one of his moves, every programme becomes a carefully crafted work of art, but in the process, Yuzu also exhausts himself. His body has been battered over the years : multiple injuries and like it or not, Yuzu cannot help being emotional and let these emotions interfere sometimes with his performances, which also explains his « lack of consistency », meaning his « lack of victories » compared to his capacities. Because Yuzu is consistent in a way as he’s always been on the podium, but paradoxically, could have won more if he had played it safer or simply considered this sport as a sport only. We, as fans know that because we’ve been following Yuzu's journey very closely, but the sport commentators don’t understand him that intimately, at the end of the day, they only base their judgment on the results. But most people understand that Yuzu is something else, and that he is an athlete who is above results and even the system. He lives and breathes figure skating to elevate it to something higher. Which is why at this point, it doesn’t matter how many times Nathan wins, Yuzu will be the one remembered. 

We're basically at the start of the Olympic season. Of course media will play the narrative game and prop up US and Russian skaters to the moon. Nothing new there. Look how they talked about him back in 2017. Steel yourself for incredibly biased reporting or ignore it all together. There will be a lot of bad takes from experts and previous skaters.