General Yuzuru Chat

Please forgive my audacity but I want to say to all my fellow Hanyu fans that "Chill out". Of course, he was tired and upset right after the FS but he knew it was coming and he did not emotionally invested himself in winning. Why? Because it didn't matter. I know you love him and you think he is so fluffy and puri puri and whatever. But, accept this from me, above all He Is A Professional. He has set his mind on what he wants and he is working towards that goal. Him winning another WC or a third OGM is our wish not his. He never, ever said any of these two medals are his goals. So, no, he is not down or depressed. The world is not ending for him. Of course, he was upset right after the fact. Who wouldn't be? But, he is more than OK. So, please chill out. Let's enjoy his journey towards his own goals not ours.

31 minutes ago, snowy said:

Please forgive my audacity but I want to say to all my fellow Hanyu fans that "Chill out". Of course, he was tired and upset right after the FS but he knew it was coming and he did not emotionally invested himself in winning. Why? Because it didn't matter. I know you love him and you think he is so fluffy and puri puri and whatever. But, accept this from me, above all He Is A Professional. He has set his mind on what he wants and he is working towards that goal. Him winning another WC or a third OGM is our wish not his. He never, ever said any of these two medals are his goals. So, no, he is not down or depressed. The world is not ending for him. Of course, he was upset right after the fact. Who wouldn't be? But, he is more than OK. So, please chill out. Let's enjoy his journey towards his own goals not ours.

As a whole I agree, but I remember having read (last season?) that he wished to participate in Beijing Olympics if he had a chance to win Gold.

Of course he may have changed his mind since, everybody have a right to change opinion/projects and this season has been very special, but as a matter of fact he did imply that Olympic Gold was a goal.

30 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

As a whole I agree, but I remember having read (last season?) that he wished to participate in Beijing Olympics if he had a chance to win Gold.

Of course he may have changed his mind since, everybody have a right to change opinion/projects and this season has been very special, but as a matter of fact he did imply that Olympic Gold was a goal.

I think it wasn't as set in stone though. I mean, who wouldn't be tempted by the possibility of 3-peating Oly gold? But unless Nathan has a disaster next season, it does look like a major uphill battle, to say the least.

I also think Yuzu is acknowledging how much uncertainty there is in the world right now--Beijing Olys may not even happen, or they might be significantly delayed, and it's entirely unclear when he'll even be able to go back to Canada and train and whether and under what circumstances he'd want to. So I imagine he feels like he really can't be certain of a lot of things. The one clear and obvious goal he can work toward is the 4A, and it's the only one remaining on little Yuzu's goals list, so that's the one he's focused on. It's also something that he has far more control over than things like Olys. It's possible that he himself hasn't come to any firm decisions about anything outside of the 4A, and his vagueness is a reflection of that.

4 hours ago, Melodie said:

Will have to wait for good translation to come out but basically he has confirmed that Olys gold in Beijing is not as important as landing the 4A for him. So, there, IMO if by chances he can jump the 4A to his own satisfaction around the time of the Olys, he will definitely join. 

But honestly? Whatever happens, I'm all here for the miracle boy achieving his dream. Let those terrible people play their games. 

Edit: Again, wait for complete translation. I have no idea what was the context for this answer to come out, but he will continue to be active, AKA I believe no r***** in sight just yet. 

We should  wait for more nuanced translation from Axelwithwings or someone but the above post (1st one is by Kaori and the second one by Yuzu), without knowing what was the exact question, it is hard to translate accurately.

Anyway, Yuzu's answer was: "While I'm pursuing 4A, if Beijin Oly is along the line of that, I'd consider it (he did not specify what is the exact thing he's going to consider). Final/ultimate goal to me is not about winning a gold medal at Olympics but I'd emphasis that my number one goal is to land 4A successfully"

And in the 3rd post: (Q:on stating his continuing for further season) "At one point, there were days that I've felt I've grown old or my body does not move like it used to but now I'm feeling that I can still develop/progress/grow. People compare me with my past glories and that is inevitable but I have definitely been upping my game/improving/raising the level. I have improved definitely since Pyeongchang or Helsinki."

What angers me the most is the narrative that ISU or certain people put on Yuzu for being "has-been". FFS just open your eyes and see what he's been doing. Where in the fs world at the 10th snr year, who'd put 5quads in fs? I really don't understand why people do not want to see someone is so good at what he does to see how far he can go?

ETA: The above tweet is not full interview that Yuzu gave so the context is not accurate. Full translation of the interview will be out soon I believe...

I was sad yesterday because of worry about his health and fears about future unknowns regarding retirement. Wondering about how much will we see him once he retires? Those kinds of fears. Sorry if it upsets people to mention it... But truly, I don't personally care about the result of this competition, or any competition for that matter, in terms of scores and medals, other than being upset when he's treated badly, or upset if he doesn't do the performance he personally wants. I feel like this competition was maybe a realization for me that he *really* doesn't care about winning in the way he used to. At least, that's the impression he has been giving recently. I accept that. Actually I'm happy for him if he doesn't want to focus on winning anymore. I feel like his skating is something beyond all of that. If he changes his mind or I misunderstood that's also okay. He is working hard towards his own dreams and goals, and it is such a privilege and a gift to be here with him on his journey wherever it takes us now. I'm so endlessly grateful. I just want to say, to Yuzu, thank you, thank you for everything, thank you for being you. We are with you always.

1 hour ago, snowy said:

I have to fully agree with you here.  I also think Yuzu might be slightly altering his sentiments regarding Beijing.  I think he wants the gold (who wouldn't?) but I think another factor has entered.  Has anyone noticed that three of the top four men were Japanese?  As important as a gold is for Yuzu I think might be the thought that he could contribute to a Japanese dream - sweeping the podium at Beijing.  Right now it appears that Japan has a figure-skating 'dream team'.  If they can all three peak at the same time next year, and that peak just happens to be at the Winter Olympics and is enough to medal, the three will return to Japan to a rapturous reception.  Yuzu, if he gets gold, will have his third triumphant parade in Sendai but I think it quite possible the three together might have a parade in Tokyo.  When you consider that Yuzu was the first Japanese male to get the gold in the men's event in Sochi, three Japanese on the podium will indicate that Japanese figure-skating in the men's department has risen exponentially during the Yuzu years and Yuzu is probably the reason why.  He has become an inspiration to all up-and-coming male skaters in Japan.  Indeed, the inspiration involves more than just the skating.  Did anyone notice how 'Yuzuish' Yuma's costume is.

All in all I am sad that Yuzu did not triumph but the sun does not rise or set based on how Yuzu does.  He doesn't appear overly affected by the results in Stockholm.  Indeed I think he is probably putting the 20/21 season behind him.  First priority for him, at the moment, is probably getting himself and his mom back to Toronto.  The anti-virus bubbles that were in place in Stockholm might be enough to allow Yuzu back into Canada.  We can only hope.  I do know one thing while seeing things in Stockholm and that is how wonderful it was to have Yuzu and Brian back together.  Let's hope that circumstances will work out to let their togetherness continue.

PS - those wondering what Yuzu will do after retirement I'd put my money on producing ice shows.  That is the best means Yuzu will have to influence the course of figure-skating.

3 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

I feel even if he implied wanting a third gold medal it is because media and fans have constantly bombarded him with the same question. He knows better than us the joy of reaching that ultimate goal as well as all sacrifices he has to make to get there. It is up to him to decide if he wants to go through that course of blood and sweat again or not. When it was Sochi or Pyeongchang, he desperately wanted that OGM. They were his dreams. Now, it is not like that so I would love to see at least his fans, who put his happiness above anything else, respect that attitude. He didn't care about this WC because he has a different goal. He did his best for Japan's interest and that is it. Finished, done! Let's move on and cheer him on the goal that he has! When he start trying 4A in competition, it might take him a few competitions to get it as perfect as he wants. He may loose so many medals and titles from now on because of that. Then, it will be accompanied by comments of all haters on how he is sacrificing a clean program for one jump. There will be a sea of hate comments coming along and he already accepted it. So, at least we should not add extra pressure on him. Please correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I remember he reads online comments. And, we know how much he cares about his fans. We being depressed and disappointed in online comments will put a lot of doubt and pressure on his mind. He decided to face an insurmountable barrier in the expense of other glories (which he has plenty already), we should support him in that direction. 

16 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Here is a translation by Iron:

Thanks for posting @Henni147 :) I literally just went back to replace my tidbits with this one :grin:

PS: Dunno why but his answer to the last question gets me a chuckle, the way he goes "that's nice but I'm here to do my stuff and that is that" :grin: 

37 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

We should  wait for more nuanced translation from Axelwithwings or someone but the above post (1st one is by Kaori and the second one by Yuzu), without knowing what was the exact question, it is hard to translate accurately.

Anyway, Yuzu's answer was: "While I'm pursuing 4A, if Beijin Oly is along the line of that, I'd consider it (he did not specify what is the exact thing he's going to consider). Final/ultimate goal to me is not about winning a gold medal at Olympics but I'd emphasis that my number one goal is to land 4A successfully"

And in the 3rd post: (Q:on stating his continuing for further season) "At one point, there were days that I've felt I've grown old or my body does not move like it used to but now I'm feeling that I can still develop/progress/grow. People compare me with my past glories and that is inevitable but I have definitely been upping my game/improving/raising the level. I have improved definitely since Pyeongchang or Helsinki."

What angers me the most is the narrative that ISU or certain people put on Yuzu for being "has-been". FFS just open your eyes and see what he's been doing. Where in the fs world at the 10th snr year, who'd put 5quads in fs? I really don't understand why people do not want to see someone is so good at what he does to see how far he can go?

Did people forget that Jnats happened? if he had repeated his Jnats performance at worlds then he could have won (well, shitty judging aside :13877886:). His score total was higher there than Nathans was at worlds, even with the invalidated spin. It's not as though he's physically incapable of pulling off a winning skate, it's just that he had been injured for a good chunk of the last quad and then when he finally started getting back to good condition, covid happened. Then he happened to have terrible luck and get an asthma attack during Worlds, no doubt helped along by everything that was wrong with this competition. people will say blah, blah, making excuses, but the point is that he put out 2 clean skates very recently (well, ignoring the spin invalidation), so there's no reason to think that suddenly, now that he's a few months older, he can't do it again. He does look stronger to me now than he has at any point in the past, and in fact, his Jnats performance was his best competitive showing since the 2015-2016 grand prix. Will that be enough to beat Nathan? Maybe not. But lol if you think Rusfed wouldn't kill to have a competitor nearly as good as Yuzu. Plus, Nathan is not perfect, and Yuzu still has room to grow, so nothing is for certain.

In any case, imagine saying of any other competitor who reliably podiums at every competition "oh, their career is over." Are you joking? Most skaters are lucky to podium at worlds once. (Also, Keegan Messing, who is 29, should have won the SP bronze medal just saying). Maybe his time as the assumed #1 is over, and of course that hurts, but not being #1 doesn't mean you have to retire, or that you can never win. 

Whether or not Yuzu actually wants to compete with Nathan or just wants to land 4A and be done or whatever else is his deal and we will support him either way, but the idea that his career has to be over and he can accomplish nothing more is ridiculous. 

So, it sounds as if he's admitting the asthma attack and I, for one, am glad he did so. While it is very true to form to not make excuses for mistakes, his willingness to admit it this time, and still perform well enough for a bronze medal, is surely inspiration for little kids who might have the same issue... just as speaking to that athlete with asthma when he was a child, helped him. There is no shame in having a health condition that complicates matters, and he manages it... but sometimes it cannot be managed.

Edit: And as for going back to Canada, I thought that once he got used to training alone, and he got over the hard parts, then he would probably stay in Japan. He is a mature athlete now, does not need to be reigned in as much like he used to either. The list of benefits he mentions really look like they outweigh the benefits of TCC. It will be interesting...

16 minutes ago, snowy said:

When he start trying 4A in competition, it might take hime a few competitions to get it as perfect as he wants. He may loose so many medals and titles from now on because of that. 

Fine with me :)

‘If this is what Yuzu is aiming for then I am behind him 100%. Medals, schmedals! Ahh, Yuzu has so many now he probably has nowhere to store them all (or the watches). And that reminds me... is his house big enough to store all the costumes, gloves, belts, training clothes and international uniforms? Surely he must have run out of room by now?

Anyway, back to the point - I cannot wait to see what Nessie looks like. So, if Yuzu does not medal in future, I certainly don’t care... he has achieved it all and we have seen that.

I ‘cannot wait to see what Yuzu does next.

And for the record, I think another career choice could be training international sports media on how to ask the right bloody questions! ;)

Has this been already reported?

Yuzuru admitted that he had asthma attack during the free program.

Daily Sports:

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/de5793efd36fc3b45de87e5be695b860b09b59e0

羽生は「ぜんそくの発作はフリーの後でちょっと感じた。終わってみると、苦しかったなと思うぐらいで。ちょっとしたトラブルが続いていて、ほんのちょっとのほころびが積み重なった。自分の中で原因は分かっているし、点差ほど大きなミスではない。やりきれたという感覚はある」と、振り返った。

Hanyu said, "I felt a bit of an asthma attack after the free skate. When it was over, I just thought I had difficulty in breathing.  I've been having a bit of trouble successively, and little flaws kept piling up. I know what caused it, and it wasn't as big a mistake as the difference in points. I feel like I did my best."

Sorry for my rough translation.

EDIT:

Another report. Sponichi Annex:

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/f7ed98edd3d7f0d9f0fa32aa45b171b29f7956c0

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].