General Yuzuru Chat

21 minutes ago, rodica said:

Yuzu has just won the short program. Let's congratulate and keep our fingers crossed and pray for a gold outcome Saturday.

However, it seemed to me that he was underscored again.

Are you surprised?  He who skates the 3A like no one else can't even get a 4.0 GOE from these biased judges.

I know this should be in the competition thread but this is short and very too-the-point.  What is?  The great fear Nathan has, a fear that despite all his preparations and assumptions Yuzu might completely remake the competition by debuting Nessie.  Actually I'm serious.  I think every skater vying for podium positions after this long pandemic-driven almost competition-free season is wondering if and when Yuzu might go for the nuclear-option and land the dreaded (by all except Yuzu) quad axel.

3 hours ago, Veveco said:

Not sure whether to post here or in the competition fluff, but ToshI is still the superior fanyu :68468287:

3 hours ago, fyere0 said:

In front of a white wall, even, for extra Fanyu authenticity points :D 

He really fell hard for Yuzu when he fell, didn't he? He deserves honorary satellite status, honestly. 

On 3/22/2021 at 7:16 AM, shanshani said:

I would bet money that Nate retires before Yuzu. 

actually it would be kind of funny if he does. no one else is really that close to the level of those two yet, so minus Nate, Yuzu might not actually have much competition. he will then be this veteran elder skater, who the new generation has to struggle to defeat. the final boss of men's figure skating :xD:

the ISU would have an aneurysm

At 31 years young going for a new kind of Quad – 4-peat consecutive Olympic Gold Medal.

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

At 31 years young going for a new kind of Quad – 4-peat consecutive Olympic Gold Medal.

I was bored so I looked up and recorded the ages of everyone who qualified for the men's free at WC this year and discovered that the average age was 23, the median was also 23, but the mode was 26! See, Yuzu isn't that old after all--he could go another quad. (Plus Alexei Bychenko qualified, and he's 33!)

On the other hand, I also have to note that Yuma Kagiyama was 7 when Yuzu made his senior debut :xD:

On 3/22/2021 at 10:16 AM, shanshani said:

I would bet money that Nate retires before Yuzu. 

actually it would be kind of funny if he does. no one else is really that close to the level of those two yet, so minus Nate, Yuzu might not actually have much competition. he will then be this veteran elder skater, who the new generation has to struggle to defeat. the final boss of men's figure skating :xD:

the ISU would have an aneurysm

Who would even be competitive? Maybe Yuma.

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

Who would even be competitive? Maybe Yuma.

Yuma definitely seems the most promising at the moment, but he would need to pick up an extra quad or two and improve on his interpretation and performance (well, if those things mattered to the judges anyway). Then there are a few others who sort of have the extra quads but would need to become a lot more consistent. They're also further away from Yuzu in terms of components than Yuma is.