General Yuzuru Chat

49 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

And N**C did speak out when he thought he would LOSE some of his advantage when ISU planned to equalize  the value of 4Lz, 4L and 4Flip!!  So he speaks out only when it is not to his benefit, but holds his tongue when other things benefit him..such as overscored transitions etc.  That is why I watch his skates with a very jaundiced eye:bed:

Did he mention he is going to do 5 quads for his free program during world championship 2021?

42 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

And N**C did speak out when he thought he would LOSE some of his advantage when ISU planned to equalize  the value of 4Lz, 4L and 4Flip!!  So he speaks out only when it is not to his benefit, but holds his tongue when other things benefit him..such as overscored transitions etc.  That is why I watch his skates with a very jaundiced eye:bed:

Hear, hear! I noticed that myself!

5 hours ago, Kat said:

but usually (granted not all the time) it isnt the athletes who have real sway. They're cogs.

a fact being proven in spades with the current situation regarding holding Worlds in the teeth of a pandemic without adequate precautionary measures in place. 

5 hours ago, Kat said:

It's the coaches, the federations, judges, marketers, ect that have real power and whose voices matter more.

Fixed it for you. Russian coaches seem to have some kind of pull but the rest are mostly pawns of their federations. They may hold power within the confines of their own rinks but that's it. Judges and marketers can affect some outcomes but ultimately it's the federations that call all the shots. 

I think most athletes would rather compete under fair conditions, and they are risking A LOT when they speak out. However, if an athlete is fully aware that things will always go in their favor because of who they're coached by or what flag is on their passport, and they don't at least acknowledge this to be the case, then they're complicit in the game. And that makes them, well, hmm, less than honest competitors,  IMO. Skating, like all sports, does have its share of those.

I don't want any skaters to do poorly. I just want Yuzu to do the best, in an emphatic way, so that none can argue with his supremacy. 

@Lily* Good point. 

Moving on to other things:

This competition is going to be so different from every other one in terms of energy in the arena (no cheering crowds, COVID hanging over everyone's heads, etc). It seems to me that the one who'll win this one, will be the one with the calmest mind. And that's Yuzu's forte for sure. 

6 hours ago, Umebachi said:

Yes, I'm with you.  Yuzu will not want to win in a splatfest.  This is his chance to "reset" the judging standards and prepare the way for the 2022 Olympics. 

Reveal hidden contents

Since so much of judging is subjective, and the concept of unconscious bias" have not yet filtered through the 20th Century Halls of ISU, two squeaky clean performances by Yuzu - with great flow and refined energy - would persuade the antiquated brain cells to "feel" emotionally and aesthetically obliged to give appropriately high GOEs.  By contrast, the cheerleader-style performance of the jumpcentric competitors would appear lacklustre and uninteresting, and the judges will find themselves subliminally giving appropriately lower GOE scores, combatting their habitual overscoring of GOEs because of Orthodoxy (I mean, bowing to the established authorities) drilled into their heads.  

I completely agree! With his competitive spirit he will want to win in an event when all skaters did their best program and his is clearly superior to anyone! Now, we know that Judges may rob him of that, but I am sure he would not feel 100% satisfied if he happens to win because all others make mistakes... I believe that we should be kind and cheer for all of them because all made enormous sacrificies to be there (and so did their families and coaches...)

43 minutes ago, CiONTUw4A said:

From the way things are going, I believe If Yuzu and NC both skate clean, NC will still win. The only way for Yuzu to win is that he skates clean and NC doesn't.

Sadly that's what I've been thinking too. But maybe a miracle will happen or maybe a judge will press the wrong button lol

1 hour ago, CiONTUw4A said:

From the way things are going, I believe If Yuzu and NC both skate clean, NC will still win. The only way for Yuzu to win is that he skates clean and NC doesn't.

I also feel the same way.Based on how the judges giving him low goes now and the pcs gap with him and NC almost gone now.

I have read 2 statistical studies about ISUs biased scoring recently. Apparently American, Russian and Korean judges are almost systematically biased. Canadians are not falling behind either. 

So keeping wishes and good thinking aside and scientifically speaking, it is highly possible that even if Yuzuru performs both of his programmes perfectly, Nathan will be overscored. If NC does 5/6 quads, skates clean (he skates clean more often than Yuzuru, to be honest) and wins over Yuzuru, I will be the first to applause him. But all things being equal, he would be winning over him because of ISU's unfairness. 

So, I am leaving it to the universe to set the balance. Yuzuru is one of the greatest skaters ever, with or without a gold medal. 

42 minutes ago, senemgencer said:

I have read 2 statistical studies about ISUs biased scoring recently. Apparently American, Russian and Korean judges are almost systematically biased. Canadians are not falling behind either. 

So keeping wishes and good thinking aside and scientifically speaking, it is highly possible that even if Yuzuru performs both of his programmes perfectly, Nathan will be overscored. If NC does 5/6 quads, skates clean (he skates clean more often than Yuzuru, to be honest) and wins over Yuzuru, I will be the first to applause him. But all things being equal, he would be winning over him because of ISU's unfairness. 

So, I am leaving it to the universe to set the balance. Yuzuru is one of the greatest skaters ever, with or without a gold medal. 

The Greatest Skater ever.

5 hours ago, CiONTUw4A said:

From the way things are going, I believe If Yuzu and NC both skate clean or make mistakes, NC will still win. The only way for Yuzu to win is that he skates clean and NC doesn't.

You may be right, but I want to be optimistic and think otherwise-I may be fooling myself, in fact I probably am, but I know Yuzuru is the total package. Even NC has seemed to concede that.

All we can do is wait, watch, and brace.