General Yuzuru Chat

12 hours ago, fyere0 said:

I can see some artistic inspiration from Sasha Cohen as well, although he's never talked about her. I have a suspicion that his determination to skate to R&J at the Olympics might have been inspired by watching her at Torino. Her program was also choreographed by David Wilson, and perhaps why he had to beg a reluctant DW to do it.

I actually had the same thoughts, when I watched Sasha Cohen, but I didn't know that David was her choreographer. That explains a lot. What an irony that both Sasha and Yuzu fell on their opening jump and stumbled on the Flip. This program is really cursed (for Shun as well btw) :laughing:

PS: I occasionally rewatch Finlandia, too (Tessa and Scott are priceless), but the program just doesn't get me. It's probably the music itself that is not my cup of tea (sorry Nino).

@ZuCritter Thanks for recommending the Oly practice. That's a nice version indeed. A bit sad that he only skated half of the program with many gaps inbetween. In his black training gear the program looks much better than in his competition costume...

:dontdothistome:

12 hours ago, ZuCritter said:

As for Otonal NHK '19, I prefer CoR '18 for a couple of reasons. First, Yuzu seems to inject an extra dose of drama when he skates in Russia, and that Otonal just radiates drama. [...] That CoR Otonal was the last time we saw him truly happy with a performance for what seemed like an eternity. 

(An aside on the Russian drama factor: I've always loved CoR '17 Swanyu for the same reason.)

Just one last observation: Although I will cry when Yuzu r*****s from competition, I look forward to seeing him revisit all his iconic competitive programs as exhibition pieces. The most fully realized versions of PW, Seimei and even H&L, for me, are the gala versions. And I'd add to that list the CiONTU versions of RJ1 and Sing, Sing, Sing.

EDIT: As for the skating itself, I like COR Otonal more than NHK, too. However, for some perverted reason YT has deleted every single official broadcast recording and none of the fancams could really capture the fantastic details of that performance imo. Yuzu is so small most of the time, especially during those marvelous spins... and you can't see his happy smile during the step sequence really well either. This one is probably the best, but the long warm-up recording is a bit annoying in a playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR3R-QmDBuo

That's the main reason why I picked NHK instead. Also, that version deserves more appreciation than it got imo. Yuzu might not have been in the happiest mood, but the skating and jumping quality were really strong. Better than SC comp.

In case of Swanyu, I prefer both Oly and Torino GPF over COR. I particularly love the smoothness and delicacy of his movements in Pyeongchang. He took his time for every single move and the simple dimmed lights supported the impression of a beautiful fragile swan dancing on a frozen lake in the starry night.

In Moscow the skating was good, but the escalation with the changing camera angles and that deep pink lighting in the arena totally killed the mood of the program for me. He's not skating to Barbie Girl.

I 100% percent agree with you that the remastered programs in the galas are the best. I LOVE all of them, especially from the last two years! PW at Skate Canada, Seimei at MOI, H&L at 4CC. They are all absolute masterclass, especially in terms of musicality and performance. I admit that I like 4CC H&L even more than the Helsinki skate despite the spin wobble (probably because of the camera and better lighting).

I wanted to add the CiONTU skates, too, but there is no decent recording on YT...

3 minutes ago, hananistellata said:

Today is Olympic Notte Stellata's third year anniversary, isn't it? 

As a celebration I'll be watching Swanyu on loop today, just like every day.

I love my emotional support program so much. :tumblr_m9gcvqToXY1qzckow:

I posted this breakdown of the historic markers in Notte Stellata on the Planet some time ago, but since it's the anniversary of this magical performance, I share it here with the annotated video again :grouphug:

Talking about historic markers...

I thought about starting a little history series on Twitter under the hashtag #FigureLegends.

There are some really funny and surprising parallels between Yuzu and Dick Button, Axel Paulsen, Gillis Grafström and other skaters of the "ancient times".

I would create profiles for all these skaters, including the most spectacular stats, trivia and, if meaningful, a head-to-head comparison with Yuzu.

Do you think, that series has potential? If there is general interest, I will try to upload one or two profiles per week.

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

I thought about starting a little history series on Twitter under the hashtag #FigureLegends.

There are some really funny and surprising parallels between Yuzu and Dick Button, Axel Paulsen, Gillis Grafström and other skaters of the "ancient times".

I would create profiles for all these skaters, including the most spectacular stats, trivia and, if meaningful, a head-to-head comparison with Yuzu.

Do you think, that series has potential? If there is general interest, I will try to upload one or two profiles per week.

Please do so!!! That sounds so fun.

4 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Before you do this, or in parallel with this, could you do a side-by-side or overlay comparisons of the historic markers from Notte Stellata?  For example, Robin Cousin's broken-leg camel spin (don't know the exact name) Yuzu performs at the end of Notte Stellata woul be lovely, and would provide a graphic illustration of your historic marker description.   I recall one of the TV broadcasters (Japanese? Canadian? can' recall) doing an overlay of Orser's (?) single axel jump with Yuzu's.   I'm afraid I cannot remember the details.  It would be a fantastic accompaniment to your historic marker Tweet!  

2 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

Before you do this, or in parallel with this, could you do a side-by-side or overlay comparisons of the historic markers from Notte Stellata?  For example, Robin Cousin's broken-leg camel spin (don't know the exact name) Yuzu performs at the end of Notte Stellata woul be lovely, and would provide a graphic illustration of your historic marker description.   I recall one of the TV broadcasters (Japanese? Canadian? can' recall) doing an overlay of Orser's (?) single axel jump with Yuzu's.   I'm afraid I cannot remember the details.  It would be a fantastic accompaniment to your historic marker Tweet!  

I would love to do that, but sadly my current video editor is not capable of doing any overlays or SBS frames :68811363:

Another issue is that it's very hard to find video footage for all historic markers. I definitely need help with collecting the material. However, as soon as I have a proper editor again, I will try to do a video.

Thank you very much for the idea! I keep that in mind :notamused:

1 minute ago, Henni147 said:

I would love to do that, but sadly my current video editor is not capable of doing any overlays or SBS frames :68811363:

Another issue is that it's very hard to find video footage for all historic markers. I definitely need help with collecting the material. However, as soon as I have a proper editor again, I will try to do a video.

Thank you very much for the idea! I keep that in mind :notamused:

That's great, thank you!  I will also try to look for the historic footages.  Must be lurking somewhere in the vast video archives of Big Data universe.  

11 hours ago, Melodie said:

Yuzuru Hanyu whomst? :huh:

All jokes aside, it's just so heartwarming to know that Sendai is always super protective of Yuzu :10742289:

I love it. It just screams snarky Musubimaru*  energy.

*Musubimaru is the samurai onegiri mascot of Visit Miyagi** twitter.

**Sendai is in Miyagi***.

***Am I being ponderously pedantic just for fun? Yes****.

****My sense of humour may not tickle everyone's funnybone. Oh well.