General Yuzuru Chat

On 2/23/2021 at 4:44 AM, Yuzu_legend said:

Yeah..the first time I went to print a banner, the young man in the printshop asked me if Yuzu was a model...lol...when I left the  store he and his two other male coworkers were watching Seimei...:hairflip:

Aww this is so cute!!!! People who love him are everywhere.:devilYuzu:

17 hours ago, EternalSpin said:

Has anyone seen this kid before? 

Not that I'm aware of. He might not even be in Juniors yet, from the size of him. He's not as fast as Yuzu (but who is), but he's got the Step Seq down pat otherwise. Love that he does the knee slide too. 

Hats off to Ravi doing his coaching outside in the depths of an Edmonton winter, BTW. 

Mom and I just did a little nostalgia hour and rewatched the Torino Olympics 2006.

I will never complain about telegraphing again. Some performances were really painful to watch... :14066882:

However, it was really interesting to see Shizuka in the ladies' event and Stephane, Jeff, Plush, J*hnny and Dai competing against each other.

Yuzu's skating today feels a bit like: he took the greatest strength of each, elevated them to next level, added own features and created the ultimate super fusion of it all.

I think, the different strengths of these skaters are distributed as follows:

Shizuka: flexibility and extension of spins and spirals

Plushenko: champion aura, big jumps and consistency

Stephane: spins and skating skills

Jeffrey: skating skills and transitions

J*hnny: flow and body positions

Dai: musicality and performance (but he was far away from his best here imo)

In a way I can understand why Plush, J*hnny and Stephane were Yuzu's idols. As skaters they really stood out in those days. As a person Stephane would have been the best choice, though...

Some fun facts about the scoring:

Plush was the only skater in the men's event who received +3 GOE (from three judges for his StSq in the SP).

He also got the highest component score of the event (8.46 for skating skills in the FS). The others received components in the 7's.

Those were really different times...  :english1:

2 hours ago, hananistellata said:

Every time I rewatch Olympic Seimei I feel like I can't breath from the stress even though I already know the results. Does anyone else feel the same? 

I think I've only re-watched it a couple of times because emotional rollercoaster - still!

2 hours ago, hananistellata said:

Every time I rewatch Olympic Seimei I feel like I can't breath from the stress even though I already know the results. Does anyone else feel the same? 

The stress for that one is real:embSwan:

But I still watch it everyday cause its so good!! The step sequence is just mind-blowing.

Btw Oly Seimei is so close to 15M views!! RJ1 almost reached 1M.

To close this day: I got tired of searching single YT videos on TV with the remote control. So I finally made a playlist with my personal favorite Yuzu programs. The mandatory "daily Yuzu meal", as my mom says.

I tried to pick one performance of each of Yuzu's senior programs (both competitive and gala/show).

To be honest. With some programs this is simply impossible, because there are too many great ones.

Like... Seimei made it to the list 3 times. My personal favorite is probably MOI 2019, but I just didn't have the heart to leave out NHK '15 and Oly '18.

In case of Otonal it was extra tricky, because every performance had something that the other didn't. For me, ACI '18 had the best music cut and choreo, COR '18 probably the best spins, the SC '19 run-through the best jumps and skating quality, SC '19 comp the best atmosphere, NHK '19 the cleanest full performance overall and MOI '19 encore the best step sequence... In fact, I rewatch the SC RT and MOI the most. :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

PS: The only competitive program I left out is R&J 2.0... Gomen Yuzu, I don't know why, but none of the versions has ever really grown on me... :13877886:

I tried to pick the highest resolution and recording quality for each skate that I could find on YT. The list is sorted chronologically by date of the performance. I'm curious, if you share my choice or can recommend better versions. I'm always open for good suggestions!

Yuzuru Hanyu 羽生結弦: Recommended Performances

31 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

To close this day: I got tired of searching single YT videos on TV with the remote control. So I finally made a playlist with my personal favorite Yuzu programs. The mandatory "daily Yuzu meal", as my mom says.

I tried to pick one performance of each of Yuzu's senior programs (both competitive and gala/show).

To be honest. With some programs this is simply impossible, because there are too many great ones.

Like... Seimei made it to the list 3 times. My personal favorite is probably MOI 2019, but I just didn't have the heart to leave out NHK '15 and Oly '18.

In case of Otonal it was extra tricky, because every performance had something that the other didn't. For me, ACI '18 had the best music cut and choreo, COR '18 probably the best spins, the SC '19 run-through the best jumps and skating quality, SC '19 comp the best atmosphere, NHK '19 the cleanest full performance overall and MOI '19 encore the best step sequence... In fact, I rewatch the SC RT and MOI the most. :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

PS: The only competitive program I left out is R&J 2.0... Gomen Yuzu, I don't know why, but none of the versions has ever really grown on me... :13877886:

I tried to pick the highest resolution and recording quality for each skate that I could find on YT. The list is sorted chronologically by date of the performance. I'm curious, if you share my choice or can recommend better versions. I'm always open for good suggestions!

@Henni147  Appreciate your hard work on this.    :thankssign:

6 hours ago, Henni147 said:

I think, the different strengths of these skaters are distributed as follows:

Shizuka: flexibility and extension of spins and spirals

Plushenko: champion aura, big jumps and consistency

Stephane: spins and skating skills

Jeffrey: skating skills and transitions

J*hnny: flow and body positions

Dai: musicality and performance (but he was far away from his best here imo)

In a way I can understand why Plush, J*hnny and Stephane were Yuzu's idols. As skaters they really stood out in those days. As a person Stephane would have been the best choice, though...

I can see some artistic inspiration from Sasha Cohen as well, although he's never talked about her. I have a suspicion that his determination to skate to R&J at the Olympics might have been inspired by watching her at Torino. Her program was also choreographed by David Wilson, and perhaps why he had to beg a reluctant DW to do it.

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

My favourite version is the one from Finlandia. specifically Tessa and Scott reacting to it and not looking very happy...and the girl whose jaw drops at his 4T and she dramatically pushes her mouth closed, lololol :wink_star: 

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

Thanks for pulling all these together in one place! You've captured almost all my favorites. 

I'm especially glad you chose NHK '15 Seimei rather than GPF '15. Even though the latter got the bigger score, I love NHK for the freedom and exuberance of it. Two weeks later, he was so intent on surpassing himself that the GPF version has an air of tension that makes it, while perhaps technically superior, less fun for me. 

I also totally applaud your choice of SCI '19 practice Otonal: a world-record performance if ever I saw one!!! As for Otonal NHK '19, I prefer CoR '18 for a couple of reasons. First, Yuzu seems to inject an extra dose of drama when he skates in Russia, and that Otonal just radiates drama. Second, because of everything that followed: the injury, the struggle to increase his base values while wrestling with at least one program (Origin) that didn't play to his strengths, the ISU's determination to under-score him. That CoR Otonal was the last time we saw him truly happy with a performance for what seemed like an eternity. 

(An aside on the Russian drama factor: I've always loved CoR '17 Swanyu for the same reason.)

Just one last observation: Although I will cry when Yuzu r*****s from competition, I look forward to seeing him revisit all his iconic competitive programs as exhibition pieces. The most fully realized versions of PW, Seimei and even H&L, for me, are the gala versions. And I'd add to that list the CiONTU versions of RJ1 and Sing, Sing, Sing. 

ETA: My favorite RJ2 is the Olys practice.

2 hours ago, Henni147 said:

You're a braver woman than me, I'd die dithering :10636614:

6 時間前, Henni147さんが言いました:

I have a list like this too. It includes all his exhibition skates as well. :loveshower:

The only senior program I left out is Zigeunerweisen...:ninja: