General Yuzuru Chat

After Vancouver 2010, some time before Sochi, Plushenko declared, "I'm the one who will win the next Olympic gold medal.  If not me, it's Yuzuru Hanyu."

As I read this in Japanese, I'm not sure how accurate it was compared to his original words, but this was his firm recognition of Yuzuru as his strong competitor, although Yuzuru was a possibility but still an unknown quantity at that time.  We can also feel Plushenko's joy to have a rival worth competing from his words.  Plushenko and Yuzuru have the same soul in this meaning.  I respect them, although I was quite doubtful about his words then considering their ages (for the totally opposite meaning for them) :P   

By the way, I learned today that the electricity outage in some areas last weekend after the earthquake was the intentional one in order to avoid contingent blackout in wider area. 

Here is the video of Team Russia watching the end of Yuzu's SP. As a bonus you get to see Mishin's :| face as well, and his excellent outfit :D 

I think the moment Yuzu hit his lunge, Plushy knew he was done for.

You can see in different videos, all the other teams gave a standing ovation except these guys :salty:

Plushenko had been naming Yuzu as his rival since long before Sochi, and he is not the kind of person who would say such a thing only to please someone. Unfortunately, most of the sources I read were in Japanese, and many of them have already been deleted, but here is one of his comments quoted by an editor of Figure Skating Life magazine in 2012. You can read a copy of the whole article here.

Rough Translation:

Spoiler

"I want to leave my mark on history," says Plushenko aiming for Sochi 

We interviewed Evgeny Plushenko (29 years old), the winner of three Olympic medals, including the gold medal at Turin 2006. He also won his first international competition in a long time at the European Championships in January. We asked about his aspirations for Sochi 2014, which will be held in his home country Russia.
 (Kyodo Tsushin, from Sheffield, England)

-Why are you keep competing after winning so many glories?
"I want to leave my mark on history. I've already made history, but I want to become even more untouchable. My goal is the Sochi Olympics. For me, just being able to compete there is a success. There are very few athletes who have competed in four Olympics so far. Of course, I want to be on the podium."
-How is your left knee injury?
"I will receive surgery in Munich in February. I won't compete in the World Championships (at the end of March), but I am hoping to compete in perfect shape next season."
-What is the significance of quadruple jumps?
"Quadruple jump is very important, because if you don't do it, you're just a mediocre athlete, since landing a quad is a whole different level of technique, so I am satisfied with landing it successfully here. The current scoring system is better than the one in Vancouver (where he won a silver medal landing quads) because it gives more importance to the quad."
-How confident are you of beating Patrick Chan, the reigning world champion?
"He is my rival, but there are many skaters who have the potential to beat me. No matter who I compete with, I get on the ice and do my job."
-Who are your rivals in Japan?
"In Japan, my rival is Yuzuru (Yuzuru Hanyu of Tohoku High School in Miyagi). He's a very good skater, an artist, and has good jumps. He reminds me of myself in the past. He's only 17, but as far as I'm concerned, he's the best."

In this Japanese translation of an interview in Russian given in 2011,  he said Yuzu was growing as a fierce rival for him and fellow Russian skaters. In this Italian translation of the press conference after TEB2013, you can find a reporter mentioning that Plushenko said Yuzu was his biggest rival, and in this interview released in 2013, you can hear Plushenko praising Yuzu as "No. 1" in English. 

If he were a person who would stop competing in fear of losing or disgracing himself, he could not have kept competing after Turin 2006.

7 hours ago, fyere0 said:

Here is the video of Team Russia watching the end of Yuzu's SP. As a bonus you get to see Mishin's :| face as well, and his excellent outfit :D 

I think the moment Yuzu hit his lunge, Plushy knew he was done for.

You can see in different videos, all the other teams gave a standing ovation except these guys :salty:

Yes, I think he knew. And when he heard Yuzu's score, it was absolute.  He almost looks like he has tears in his eyes.  How disrespectful for the Russians to sit while everyone else, the other teams, gave Yuzu a standing ovation.  He loves the sport and, I'm sure, really looking forward to a head to head competition with the boy he knew would be his successor.  If he hadn't had the number of injuries and extended times away from competition, he may well have been able to win at Sochi.  I'm, of course, thrilled he didn't, but it's also encouraging to know that a 29 year old, if fit, could win.  Yuzu, at 27, can be his own record setter with a third gold.  He won't be too old.  He'll just be stronger.

18 hours ago, Henni147 said:

It's hard to tell, how much honesty there was in Plushenko's words, but I somehow believe him that he really WANTED to compete against Yuzu in the individual event.

Plush has two big brass ones, and never backs down from a fight. I think he absolutely wanted to challenge Yuzu in Sochi. He must have been so frustrated when he got hurt. 

29 minutes ago, liv said:

It's a good picture.

But I can't help but notice the very obvious muscles in his thighs... while I sit here and eat a chocolate eclair....and drink an iced cappuccino (even though it's cold outside) I feel shameful, lol!

He has muscles in his ears.  It's interesting to see the reality of his muscular legs (in those few pictures out there with him in shorts - even his knee caps have muscles) but his (usually) black skating pants (leggings) draw a smooth line that may hide all that musculature but are far more aesthetically pleasing.     (And I suddenly really want a chocolate eclair.)