General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, SuzyQ said:

Really big earthquake has just happened in Miyagi and Fukushima.

News will follow.

No worry of Tsunami.

https://emergency-weather.yahoo.co.jp/weather/jp/earthquake/

Rather big here in Chiba prefecture too.  I was scared.

I hope everyone is safe and stays safe! 

And I hope Yuzu is okay, because this would definitely be hard on someone who's been through the 3/11 quake. 

Thank you all for your caring.

I'll go to bed with socks on and my coat placed nearby. :bed:

Luckily enough, the electricity is still on here.  I hope we would not find anything really serious tomorrow morning.

Wish Yuzu a good night's sleep, although it might be a bit difficult.  

5 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

Luckily enough, the electricity is still on here.  I hope we would not find anything really serious tomorrow morning.

Since the earthquake occurred only 3 ½ hours ago and it’s approximately 2:45 AM in Japan, I have the feeling that Yuzu and his family would not be able to sleep. I have this mental picture of them sitting together and giving each other comfort.

5 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

Since the earthquake occurred only 3 ½ hours ago and it’s approximately 2:45 AM in Japan, I have the feeling that Yuzu and his family would not be able to sleep. I have this mental picture of them sitting together and giving each other comfort.

Christ, I hope they're together and comforting each other! Right now what's in my head is that Yuzu will be feeling awful and trying to be strong for his family, but not being at all ok, and trying to hold back tears. And I imagine a huge number of people in Tohoku are feeling exactly the same as him. 

22 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

I hope you are all ok! We feel for all of Japan! Stay safe and positive and let us know

I can't understand Japanese so am unable to follow the live stream of the updates, but am watching on USGS for earthquake updates.  So far, there have been 5 aftershocks to the 7.1 quake (two fairly intense), but these could also be foreshocks.  There were several rather intense quakes in the two days prior to the 3/11 quake that were presumed to be THE big release of energy along that fault.

And, yes, these could very well be aftershocks from the 3/11 earthquake.  It is unusual for there to be this many years of inactivity followed by related aftershocks, but also very few quakes of that magnitude have been studied in modern history.  Fingers crossed that the worst is over, and that our boy is safe.  There must be so much PTSD happening right now.  So unsettling.

How awful! I hope there is no important damage, and light will be back soon for everybody.

I suppose the rink will have to close several days, because if the ice is made to melt, it will take days to have it back, and then, starting to fill it only when power plants are back to normal, because the ice rink may not be considered a priority.

This is already bad (and particularly, for a rink which has been struggling lately; they cannot accept private donations).

But as @Geo1 and @rockstaryuzu wrote, it must be even worse for people's morals, just before the tenth anniversary of the Great Tohoku Earthquake, which was so traumatic already, and people being already in such a state of panic due to CoViD. How can they endure it? And particularly, him and his family? Yes he will try to look well but how is he really?

@barbara, I hope it will not be!

Hopefully the damage is as reported so far. It may be much harder for people psychologically, though, as pointed out by others. At least there was no tsunami warning, which would be far worse... this happened at night, I can't even imagine how horrible it would be...worrying about a tsunami in the dark. And if they say it could be a foreshock, well, that will take its toll as well... wondering if the bigger one will strike... But the Japanese are far more familiar with this than I could ever possibly be, so I can't comment much further than that. I"m just sending well wishes and hoping this was it. 

On a purely looking-at-Yuzu perspective, any other year and he would be safely in Toronto at this time, not having to physically relive it.. but being in Toronto, the worry for those at home would be very high so the anxiety would still be there... esp since it happened in the morning here and they'd be anxious all day wondering what daytime in Japan would bring... both difficult positions to be in. At least everyone is all together.