General Yuzuru Chat

6 hours ago, YuzuNekozuu said:

So, the thought of the torchbearers for Tokyo Olympics crossed my mind....
...will Yuzu be the final torchbearer, or one of the final torchbearers? 

...Or even be the one who lights up the cauldron in the stadium/arena?

I would think he'll be a torch bearer but not the one who lights the cauldron - that really should be a summer athlete, I think.  Will they even have the torch run all over the country while Covid is raging?  Hopefully, vaccinations will be well under way in Japan by then.

1 hour ago, barbara said:

Will they even have the torch run all over the country while Covid is raging? 

Yeah,, the torch relay starts its journey on 25 March 2021. Shoma is on the relay list too iirc.. and some other figure skaters too, but Yuzu’s name isn’t there. He might be one of the final torch bearers in the stadium(they won’t announce until the day itself.)

Wonder if he’s gonna go for it? I hope safety measures are implemented.

1 hour ago, barbara said:

I would think he'll be a torch bearer but not the one who lights the cauldron - that really should be a summer athlete, I think. 

I think so too.

...is Yuzu willing to go anyways? It’s really an honour to be one, but the pandemic...

8 hours ago, YuzuNekozuu said:

So, the thought of the torchbearers for Tokyo Olympics crossed my mind....
...will Yuzu be the final torchbearer, or one of the final torchbearers? 

...Or even be the one who lights up the cauldron in the stadium/arena?

I posted on this topic before but I'll repeat.  My feeling is that if he is not competing Kohei Uchimura, Japan's super-gymnast, will light the cauldron.  If the torch relay takes place I fully expect Yuzu will be one of those who carries it in Sendai, most fittingly the route should take him past Ice Rink Sendai.  Even if he does carry the torch in the relay I would not be surprised if he is the last to carry the torch in the opening ceremony, handing it then to Kohei, thus having Japan's greatest winter athlete handing it over to Japan's greatest summer athlete, winter giving way to summer.  The symbolism would be most fitting since the last two times the Olympics were in Japan, they were both winter games.

8 hours ago, micaelis said:

I posted on this topic before but I'll repeat.  My feeling is that if he is not competing Kohei Uchimura, Japan's super-gymnast, will light the cauldron.  If the torch relay takes place I fully expect Yuzu will be one of those who carries it in Sendai, most fittingly the route should take him past Ice Rink Sendai. 

Yeahh about Kohei Uchimura..!

But about the route along Sendai, I remember I saw the name list of the Miyagi torch bearers 2 years ago in 2019...Yuzu wasn't there. Not sure if it changed for now. I can't find the list now though.:tumblr_inline_mzx8v0X45Z1r8msi5: 

Apparently there are 2 cauldrons for Tokyo2020. I just realised:embSwan:

Honestly, I am not that excited at the possibility of Yuzu playing a huge role in the Tokyo Olympics. It seems that the Tokyo Olympics are not entirely welcomed among the general public in Japan, due to Covid and the recent comments from the committee president. I could be wrong as I am not Japanese and I only get this feeling through the media.

Of course, none of the issues is Yuzu's fault and I will support his decision if he appears, just that I personally am not excited. :sad4:

3 hours ago, barbara said:

Just got this from a tweet - interesting article that uses lots of data to tell us what we know. Yuzu is underscored and NC over.

https://medium.com/@renatamachado_73871/can-data-science-show-us-that-there-is-bias-on-the-figure-skating-judging-system-54ef2e033096

It's a good article and obviously a lot of work has been put into it but it focuses mainly on the numbers instead of the whole package which is whether the scores are deserving or not. On the other hand, this might exactly be what the author was trying to do which is also good.

The fact that fans can see a skater's errors but the judges somehow turn a blind eye to them is the main issue in my opinion and the lack of accountability creates tension and distrust. 

At the bottom of the article there is an invite to sign the petition.

I've seen the list of signatures and people have been singing since September 2019. The fact that in over a year there have "only" been 10k people signing it, shows that a) the petition is not being circulated enough, b) people are not interested because they know it's fruitless or c) they just don't agree.

ISU has made it clear they are turning a deaf ear to what fans say and no matter what we do, they just won't listen. The only way this can happen is if big news outlets call them out and make a scandal out of it. Not just figure skating media but the big shots such as CNN, BBC, The New York Times, etc. but this is also a pipeline dream because FS is nothing compared to the size of other sports (football, NFL, tennis, basketball, etc).

Times like these I wish I had stuck to my fleeting desire when I was 18 of studying sports journalism. That way I could create hell right now and make ISU's life impossible.:hachimaki: