General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Paskud said:

Aren't there in some cases different ways you can write someone's name? For example Shun can be also Syun, but this is still the same name.

Or the ultimate question if 吉田陽菜 means Yoshida Hana or Yoshida Hanna?

But maybe I'm mistaken.😅

A bit off topic: 

This is the older way of Romanizing Japanese texts - "tu" for "tsu", "si" for "shi", "ti" for "chi".  The current transliteration style (the "Hepburn" style) is easy to read and follows the phonetic sounds very closely.  The older style was developed for different purpose: like in Ataturk's Turkey there was a plan to Romanize Japanese fully -one of those Meiji ideas that didn't pan out.  As a result, this old way has its transliteration rules that do not follow phonetics and do not make it easy for English readers to pronounce.   When I saw that old writing system, my first thought was that perhaps Tsuzuki-sensei was taught in the old way and probably wrote down his name this way in Roman alphabet.  That would be in his style.   My parents were educated in pre-war Japan and they learned this form of Romanization, which I also had to learn to figure out what they wrote!  

To bring it back to topic: glad to see the ISU bio finally updated.  But who is doing the research for these bios?  Why only Johnny and not Plu-sama?  Was this site sponsored by NBC? 

20 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

To bring it back to topic: glad to see the ISU bio finally updated.  But who is doing the research for these bios?  Why only Johnny and not Plu-sama?  Was this site sponsored by NBC? 

I would have thought they use info submitted by the skaters themselves. From the looks of things, they don't remove old info, they just add new. That line about Johnny may very well date from the very first time Yuzu submitted an ISU bio and has just never been removed. 

I think we all sometimes forget that the ISU is really nothing more than a glorified volunteer sports organization. Think parents' committee at your local club but writ large and with a professional budget ...maybe it's  expecting too much from them to hope for fully up-to-date and correct athlete bios:mischief:

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Does it actually say that in his ISU bio? Also, Roman's a bit unique in that he didn't enroll in university straight out of high school, just dove in to skating, coaching little kids, and YouTubing. Definitely not the Canadian norm anymore. University or college have almost become the default thing to do. 

Yup - it says in profession that he is a part-time coach and a YouTuber.  I'm a little surprised, too, that he isn't at least a part time student.

His main inspiration always has been Plushenko. But I don't expect anything from ISU, honestly. 

Edit: I forgot. I was watching this and thinking about Yuzu. I hope that a person who knows about physics is helping him with the 4A.

Spoiler

10 時間前, Henni147さんが言いました:

EDIT:

• So Yuzu is an official fulltime athlete now oha :68468287:
  • Who is Shoitirou Tuzuki?
  • Ten to chi to has no composer. In other words: accoring to the ISU the music basically fell from Heaven to Earth.
  • They're still ignoring Plu-san as his idol lol.
  • Also, it sounds weird to mention the 300 point bareer only, when he's been the first to surpass the 100 in the short and 200 in the free as well.

But hey, it's a start.

"Shoitirou Tuzuki" seems to follow "Kunrei-shiki" romanization system that is taught to elementary school pupils in Japan.  

But nowadays, Hepburn romanization system is generally used in Japanese society.  :59227c768286a__s: I don't understand why the government has not standardized it to Hepburn system to avoid confusion as it represents sound/pronunciation better, although it is not perfectly matched.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Japanese

EDIT:  Just for your information, if Nihon-shiki romanization system is used, ゆづる is written as Yuduru instead of Yuzuru.

4 hours ago, barbara said:

Yup - it says in profession that he is a part-time coach and a YouTuber.  I'm a little surprised, too, that he isn't at least a part time student.

Roman said that studies gave him anxiety - he thought he wasn't doing enough for it during high school because skating takes so much energy, even on days off he'd be worried about homework (if there was any or not)

On the topic of Japanese romanization... I honestly never knew there were so many romanization systems for Japanese as I learnt the pronunciations of kana using the Hepburn system, which I thought was really good at representing the actual pronunciation of the words.

Until once, when I visited Japan, I read a cashier's romanized name off their name tag, which stated that their name was Tukiko Tiba. I was perplexed! I was pretty sure there was no hiragana for 'tu' and 'ti' in Japanese, also, the kanji was clearly Tsukiko Chiba. And Japanese people don't pronounce 'tsu' while omitting the S sound either. :confused:

So I read up about it and found out about the existence of the different romanization systems, but honestly, I'm still confused by all of it and much prefer the Hepburn romanization. I don't want Yuzu's name to turn out being Yuduru!

3 hours ago, Kizuna said:

. I don't want Yuzu's name to turn out being Yuduru!

Same. There are so many awful ways 'Yuduru' could be pronounced by an English speaker...having the 'z' in there forces the long 'u' a bit more (i don't know why; it just does) so it helps correct pronunciation. 

Although to my ear,   the づ sounds more like 'dzu' or 'jzu' than it does like 'zu' .

4 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Same. There are so many awful ways 'Yuduru' could be pronounced by an English speaker...having the 'z' in there forces the long 'u' a bit more (i don't know why; it just does) so it helps correct pronunciation. 

Although to my ear,   the づ sounds more like 'dzu' or 'jzu' than it does like 'zu' .

:offtopic2:

According to Wikipedia and Wiktionary, the official Hepburn romanizations and IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) transcriptions are as follows:

Voiceless

Voiced (with a dakuten sign)

す/ ス  su with a voiceless s

Hepburn: su

IPA: su

Phonetic similarity:  superb /suˈpɝb/, soup /suːp/

ず/ ズ  zu (or su with a voiced s)

Hepburn: zu

IPA: zu

Phonetic similarity:  zoom /zuːm/, presume (Am) /pɹəˈzum/

つ/ ツ  tsu

Hepburn: tsu

IPA: t͡su

Phonetic similarity:  tsunami /tsuːˈnɑːmi/

づ/ ヅ  dzu

Hepburn: zu or dzu

IPA: d͡zu (less common: d͡su)

Phonetic similarity:  azzurro (It) /adˈd͡zur.ro/

So, with Hepburn ゆづる should be romanized as Yuzuru or Yudzuru. The closest IPA transcription is /'jud͡zuru/.

The phonetic difference between "tsu" and "tu" such as "chi" and "ti" is shown here:

つ/ツ  tsu

Hepburn: tsu

IPA: t͡su

Phonetic similarity:  tsunami /tsuːˈnɑːmi/

とぅ/トゥ  tu

Hepburn: tu or tou

IPA: tu

Phonetic similarity:  tutu /ˈtuːˈtuː/

ち/チ  chi

Hepburn: chi

IPA: t͡ɕi (or t͡ʃɪ)

Phonetic similarity:  chicken /ˈt͡ʃɪkən/

てぃ/ティ  ti

Hepburn: ti

IPA: ti or tɪ

Phonetic similarity:  tip /tɪp/, party /ˈpɑɹ.ti/

In case of his former coach, the Japanese writing and transcriptions should be as follows:

Kanji: 都築章一郎

Hiragana: つづき しょういちろう

Hepburn: Tsuzuki Shōichirō (or Tsudzuki Shouichirou)

IPA: /'t͡sud͡zuki/ /ɕo̞ː'it͡ɕiɾo̞ː/

Tuzuki Shoitirou must be some old form of romanization, otherwise it would look in Hiragana rather like this (which is quite... weird): とぅづき しょういてぃろう

Shoitirou Tuzuki is Kunrei-shiki romanization, with the exception of how the long vowels are handled. It's not wrong, it's just a different system than most English speakers are used to seeing.

Also, no worries everyone - ゆづる actually is still written Yuzuru in Kunrei-shiki, the づ doesn't make it Yuduru. Although an older form of romanization that Kunrei-shiki is based on, Nihon-shiki, actually would have you spell it that way...

:offtopic2:

Spoiler

When I was a kid and tried to learn a bit of Japanese, the dominant textbook at the time used a modified Kunrei-shiki romanization. It actually does help somewhat when you're starting to learn Japanese grammar - much easier to learn the -tsu verb conjugations when they act just like every other -u verb, rather than learning artificially introduced consonant changes. Like 待つ -> 待ちます in romaji could be either matu -> matimasu or matsu -> machimasu. (Or you could just use kana and take away the crutch of romaji earlier entirely, which also has the benefit of teaching you to think of Japanese in its native written form much earlier. That's a better solution IMO.) However, this regularity comes at the price of native English speakers inevitably completely butchering the pronunciation, unless they've learned the rules of how to pronounce Japanese that has been romanized using Kunrei-shiki. Hepburn does a much better job of getting English speakers close to the correct pronunciation.