General Yuzuru Chat

15 時間前, Geo1さんが言いました:

It seems that Yuzu has had this habit of balancing on one leg for a long time. When he was interviewed by the local Sendai TV station in 2010 following his World Junior Championship victory, he said that he had a weird habit of wanting to stand on one leg. "I want to get good balance so I stand like this." (At approximately 10:09 of this 14:21 video.)

I have just found some translation errors in the video.  Sorry for knitpicking  :smiley-scared003:

3:50  "Right now, I really love beef cutlet." 

He said "Tonkatsu".  This is pork cutlet, not beef. 

3:54  "Roasted or boiled?" "I liked roasted. I like oily food"

He was asked "Rosu ga ii?  Hire ga ii?", and answered "Rosu desu. Kekko Aburami ga sukinande."

They are talking about the cut part of meat. 
          We say Rosukatsu (loin cutlet) when pork loin is used, and Hirekatsu (fillet cutlet) when pork tenderloin is used. 

Aburami means fat.

So, this part may be better to translate;

"Do you like loin cutlet or fillet cutlet?"  "Loin.  I quite like fat on meat."

I really wonder, what it would be like, if Yuzu had the opportunity to show his skating in form of a music video (or similar recording style). Where he can arrange the setting, direct the filming and skate a program the way he wants it to be.

Like... imagine the following future scenario:

1. Yuzu finally has the time to do whatever he likes. *yeey*
  2. Naturally, he takes the full bloody 9:22 minutes of Chopin's Ballade No. 1 and remasters the choreography (together with Jeff or by himself).
  3. He documents the whole process, his thoughts and decisions in a +1h video.
  4. Then he hires an experienced camera team and develops the recording together with them (best filming angles and frame, fitting moments for close-up shots and change of perspectives, zoom etc.). The performance is recorded in 4K or 8K and 30 or 60 fps.
  5. The "making of" is filmed as well (outtakes included :D).
  6. The final cut of the performance and the making both get published, maybe individually on an online video channel or on a DVD/ Blueray together with other programs...

And we as fans would have the chance to watch super HD Yuzu from the best angle with his best skating... I don't know how you feel about it, but the mere thought gives me chills... :10636614:

Especially in times, where live events are so dangerous and limited, this would be such a blessing...

19 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

I agree. I seriously have such a good feeling about Beijing. I've been having this feeling for a while now, but when Yuzu came out of nowhere to the Japanese National and did THAT, it felt to me like a confirmation that he's going for a third Olympic gold medal.

And the sheer confidence, presence and maturity that he emanated gave me such a strong feeling that he will likely become the Olympic champion in Beijing. Yuzu seemed to have reached such a stable state of zen. He is a man who has achieved perfect mastery of his craft and is at peace with himself.

And the two new programs suit him perfectly. He can express his true self with these programs. This is him in all his glory.

And with his experience and mental and emotional strength, it's very likely that be will be the most unfazed in the run-up to the Olympic games. :dancingpooh:

Well said. I am also having positive vibes since I saw Yuzu at JNats.

14 hours ago, citrusjunos said:

To be honest, most of my worries regarding the Olympics are due to the horrendous judging. Even if Yuzu were to compete at his peak physical and mental condition, as long as his competitors don't fall or stumble, I'm not sure he'd win. His base value would have to be so much higher than others' to compensate for the undoubtedly high GOE and PCS they would get. It would just be heartbreaking to see him give his all and then get robbed due to biased scoring.

Exactly.

I hope that it isn't true, but after decades of watching this sport, cynicism about judging just comes naturally. I have no doubt he'd land on the podium, but it's whether they'd give him gold again that I wonder about... because as we've seen, GOE and PCS can be used just like the second mark used to be in the 6.0 system. 

But, that's something to worry about for the future. We've seen a Yuzu this season who looks fabulous and confident and totally capable and deserving of winning Oly gold again. And right now, I want to just absorb that over and over etc...

I am among those of optimistic (if not naive :P) satellites who is always sure of Yuzu's capability of overcoming challenges — I am sure he'll nail down the Nessie, I am sure he'll dazzle us with programs unlike any other come competition time (if JNats didn't show you that already). Yuzu used to strike head on against the challenges he faces with reckless abandon but from recent interviews we know now that he knows better to take care of himself while still tackling the challenges (...this time more thoughtfully*).

It's the judging situation that I am never optimistic about :knc_brian3: (especially the case since Worlds 2019). I dare not think how those goons of jUdgEs are going to dare steal what is rightfully his... On one hand you'd think that it's somewhat reasonable to hope for reasonable judging at the next Olympics, but on the other hand... depravity knows no bounds, when you thought they dug down so low already, it turns out that they are still able to dig down even deeper — their own wretchedness is simply bottomless...

*Not that he wasn't thoughtful already but you have to acknowledge that his emotional desire on something sometimes just overwhelmed any other considerations that he (and his team) had put out for him (...like, say, his insistence to skate to R&J, etc...)

All of this musing on Yuzu's chances at Beijing, presumes that there actually will be a Beijing Olympics. i'm very much not so confident about that last part. This bleedin' pandemic, man...I don't trust it. Just because we have developed some vaccines, doesn't mean the virus won't still turn out to have a nasty sting in the tail farther down the road. At the moment I'me thinking it's 70% likely that Beijing will happen, and it could go either way from there. 

However, I have full and complete confidence in Yuzu's ability to be freaking AMAZING  when it really, truly counts. If there is a Beijing, he'll surpass himself, of that I am certain. 

On 19/1/2021 at 6:56, SuzyQ said:

I have just found some translation errors in the video.  Sorry for knitpicking  :smiley-scared003:

3:50  "Right now, I really love beef cutlet." 

He said "Tonkatsu".  This is pork cutlet, not beef. 

3:54  "Roasted or boiled?" "I liked roasted. I like oily food"

He was asked "Rosu ga ii?  Hire ga ii?", and answered "Rosu desu. Kekko Aburami ga sukinande."

They are talking about the cut part of meat. 
          We say Rosukatsu (loin cutlet) when pork loin is used, and Hirekatsu (fillet cutlet) when pork tenderloin is used. 

Aburami means fat.

So, this part may be better to translate;

"Do you like loin cutlet or fillet cutlet?"  "Loin.  I quite like fat on meat."

Thank you!! It was something that took my attention, because If I remember he said that he doesn't like oily food, and is careful on what he eats because (I guess the slow digestion and heaviness that causes) has an impact on his body and for that on his results.

EDIT: BTW I FORGOT: To all the people that takes their time and love to do traductions of Yuzu, THANK YOU SO MUCH! Your act of love it's something that deserves all the praise because we all know that just as beautiful Japanese is as lenguage it's at same time VERY complex to traduce at english. So thank you. Without your kindness and your effort many of us will just live in silence. So again, thank you.

On 1/20/2021 at 2:53 AM, rockstaryuzu said:

All of this musing on Yuzu's chances at Beijing, presumes that there actually will be a Beijing Olympics. i'm very much not so confident about that last part. This bleedin' pandemic, man...I don't trust it. Just because we have developed some vaccines, doesn't mean the virus won't still turn out to have a nasty sting in the tail farther down the road. At the moment I'me thinking it's 70% likely that Beijing will happen, and it could go either way from there. 

However, I have full and complete confidence in Yuzu's ability to be freaking AMAZING  when it really, truly counts. If there is a Beijing, he'll surpass himself, of that I am certain. 

Yes, the biggest question mark is probably, whether Beijing will take place, according to plan or postponed or not at all.

The thing is: Yuzu is the only Olympic champion in the current men's field. While for others it's essential that Beijing takes place, for Yuzu it's more like a special bonus round - great if it happens , fantastic if held under safe conditions, but no reason to jump from the Tokyo Tower if cancelled. Even if he can't win, from antis and media he can't get insulted and humiliated (much) more than he already is, while most of his fans will still be his fans and love him, whatever the outcome will be. However, he can win a lot, if he gets the third gold or not to mention, if he manages to land the Quaxel, too.

Nathan has yet to prove, if he can withstand the Olympic pressure and deliver on the biggest stage, when the whole world is watching - not only the skating community, but also loads of unbiased people, who have never heard of him before.

He made one mistake at Nationals now and his score was already 20 points lower than two or three years ago, when he scored that ridiculous 342 in the combined total. Two mistakes and he might not even go above 300. Nathan's biggest weapon is skating clean with many quads. If that doesn't work, not even the most corrupt judges can save him and he knows that. Also, in Torino he has pretty much reached his technical limit, I think. I'm not sure, if he can add a 4Lo and still go clean, especially under Olympic pressure with the 2018 SP disaster in mind.

In Saitama and Torino Yuzu has knocked out himself with a serious error in the short. If he skates clean in their next encounter and scores above 110, the pressure will be on again. Whatever narratives are made up by the media, it's a forlorn hope to stand up against a clean Yuzuru Hanyu in direct comparison. If you win, you can prepare yourself to become a second Sotnikova.

9 hours ago, Henni147 said:

In Saitama and Torino Yuzu has knocked out himself with a serious error in the short. If he skates clean in their next encounter and scores above 110, the pressure will be on again. Whatever narratives are made up by the media, it's a forlorn hope to stand up against a clean Yuzuru Hanyu in direct comparison. If you win, you can prepare yourself to become a second Sotnikova.

This. Yuzu isn't being metaphorical when he says he skates against himself -- or against his ideal self . It is a fact that only Yuzu can beat Yuzu. In Saitama and Torino he wasn't able -- for various reasons -- to skate up to his usual standard. He made it easy for the judges to pile the candies on Nathan. Which they did and continue to do. I'm not denying that Nathan's scores are ridiculously inflated. But in their last couple of head-to-head competitions, Yuzu's errors took the pressure off not just the other skaters but the judges. 

Yuzu in top condition and top form is a whole different matter. The iSU can steal it from him, but it will be obvious, and it will become an international story. Plus, the Chinese crowd will be behind him 1,000 percent. Pus, it's the Olympics. 

On a slightly different topic, one of the main reasons I'm hoping Beijing happens is that the field is shaping up so nicely. Forget the supposed Nathan-Yuzu rivalry, Kolyada and Roman are looking so strong. Add in Jason, plus Yuma and a few other newly-minted seniors, and we're in for some gorgeous skating. I couldn't be happier. 

:nod2:

58 minutes ago, ZuCritter said:

This. Yuzu isn't being metaphorical when he says he skates against himself -- or against his ideal self . It is a fact that only Yuzu can beat Yuzu. In Saitama and Torino he wasn't able -- for various reasons -- to skate up to his usual standard. He made it easy for the judges to pile the candies on Nathan. Which they did and continue to do. I'm not denying that Nathan's scores are ridiculously inflated. But in their last couple of head-to-head competitions, Yuzu's errors took the pressure off not just the other skaters but the judges. 

Yuzu in top condition and top form is a whole different matter. The iSU can steal it from him, but it will be obvious, and it will become an international story. Plus, the Chinese crowd will be behind him 1,000 percent. Pus, it's the Olympics. 

On a slightly different topic, one of the main reasons I'm hoping Beijing happens is that the field is shaping up so nicely. Forget the supposed Nathan-Yuzu rivalry, Kolyada and Roman are looking so strong. Add in Jason, plus Yuma and a few other newly-minted seniors, and we're in for some gorgeous skating. I couldn't be happier. 

:nod2:

Shoma, too...  It will be a great competition.  We will all continue to say our prayers that Yuzu stays healthy and injury-free.