General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Melodie said:

Found this on twitter:

Yuzu's message in Worlds 2019 program book: "I was injured this season but have been supported by the daily encouragement of Javier Fernandez, E. Plushenko, and D. Button." "Javier's thrilling performance (at Euros) made me want to be stronger too."

Well, if anything, between his two problematic idols, at least Plushenko's support for Yuzu is geniune and he doesn't stab Yuzu in the back. 

I honestly don't know what a certain (very probably former) idol of Yuzu is up to, but his behavior has reached an all-time low this weekend.

Looking at the latest results at a certain national competition, I feel more and more confident that Yuzu has a serious chance to win in Beijing. He just needs to stay calm, do his thing and wait patiently for his rivals to collapse under the pressure. Sure, it's hard to prove yourself, when everyone is talking trash about you. But I think, it's even harder to live up to the expectations, when everyone is praising you to the skies.

On 1/18/2021 at 2:51 AM, Melodie said:

Found this on twitter:

Yuzu's message in Worlds 2019 program book: "I was injured this season but have been supported by the daily encouragement of Javier Fernandez, E. Plushenko, and D. Button." "Javier's thrilling performance (at Euros) made me want to be stronger too."

Well, if anything, between his two problematic idols, at least Plushenko genuinely supports Yuzu and doesn't stab him the back. 

I swear Yuzu's only flaw is idolizing those two. I do agree that between the two, I haven't heard any vitriol towards Yuzu coming from Plushenko. At least when Plushenko's being an immature, narcissistic little shit, he's more than likely to just say it straight to your face unlike a certain two-faced commentator :emoticonaci2019_2:

6 hours ago, Fay said:

It’s Winnie the Pooh Birthday today! Or Alan Milne’s 139 birthday. A fellow Capricorn! 

Fay is correct that it is A. A. Milne's birthday today and that Winnie the Pooh would not exist if he had not been born.

Winnie the Pooh's official birthday, however, is August 21, 1921 which was the date Christopher Robin received the teddy bear on his first birthday. The original name was Edward Bear (a.k.a. "Teddy" Bear) but it was not long before Christopher Robin changed the bear's name to "Winnie-the-Pooh" after his favourite lovable bear from the London Zoo. Christopher Robin added "Pooh" after a swan they had met on a previous visit.

Winnie was an orphaned black bear from the northern town of White River in Ontario. A veterinarian by the name of Harry Colebourn was travelling across Canada to embark on overseas duty in the First World War in England with the Royal Canadian Army Veterinary Corps. He purchased for $20 the little black bear cub from the trapper who had killed the orphaned cub's mother. Lieutenant Colebourn named the bear after his hometown of Winnipeg, Manitoba, and she became an unofficial mascot of The Fort Garry Horse, a militia cavalry regiment to which he was attached as a veterinarian. In 1914, the now Captain Harry Colebourn learned that he was being shipped to France and decided to settle Winnie in the London Zoo.

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+is+August+21+Winnie+the+Pooh's+birthday%3F&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA831CA831&oq=why+is+August+21+Winnie+the+Pooh's+birthday%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160l2.12656j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.nypl.org/blog/2011/06/29/winnie-the-pooh-birthday#:~:text=How is that possible you,birthday — August 21%2C 1921.

https://www.northernontario.travel/algoma-country/experience-the-birthplace-of-winnie-the-pooh

11 hours ago, TallyT said:

Can someone translate this?

Top Illustration- Nobu approaches Yuzu saying “I watched it - a divine performance!”  On the left side bubble he says “You are godly!” as his hand grabs Yuzu’s shoulder with the sound “Gussa!l” which is the sound we make when something gets impaled on a sharp object. 

Bottom illustration- Nobu is shown zooming away to the sound “Zusaaaaa” as he cries out “(I knew it) you are a Satan after all!!!” and the top text says “Iteeeee” which means “That hurts!!”  Yuzu turns around innocently saying, “ Ah, Nobu-kun! Look, my new SP costume! It’s  Toge-toge (full of thorns).” 

So much drama and action packed into two simple illustrations.  The power of manga!

[NEWS}

From a Japanese blogger YuzuChopin about some reflections on Lord Kenshin's life and its relevance for Yuzuru Hanyu.  She notes that Kenshin "left the world" = became a Buddhist monk when he was 27 years old.  Later, at the insistence of his followers, he returned to "this world" of warfare and became known as one of the fiercest warriors in Japanese history.  What were some of Kenshin's thoughts behind this transformative process?  How do these relate to Yuzu's competitive life?   I have translated selected parts from this article, below. 

Here is the original Japanese text, and translation, below: 

戦は仏の教えからは一番遠い場所です。それなのになぜ、出家を決意された謙信公がそこに舞い戻られたのか・・・。

”・・・そこで景虎(謙信公)が思い至ったものこそ、「戦乱を収め、仏の教えが妨げられぬ世を導くために、われが守護神たらん、毘沙門天の化身たらん」という生き方ではないかと思うのです。自らの手を汚してでも邪(よこしま)な者を討ち、世に安寧(あんねい)をもたらすという決意でした。もちろん生身の人間が武神たらんとするなど、生半可な覚悟ではありませんが、迷い続けた末に景虎がつかんだ、一つの結論であったのでしょう。上杉謙信が毘沙門天の化身と畏(おそ)れられた理由は、ここにあったと考えます”

Warfare is the farthest place from the teachings of Buddha.  Yet why did Kenshin - who had decided to enter into Buddhist priesthood - flow back (maimodoru = dancing back) there?

"... This is what Kagetora (Lord Kenshin) came to realization as the way of life:  'In order to constrain warfare and lead the world toward a place where the teachings of Buddha are not disturbed, we must be the Guardian Deity, we must be the incarnation of Bishamonten (god of war).'  I wonder if this is how he viewed his way of life:  Determined to strike down the evil ones even by getting one's own hands dirty in order to bring peace and security to this world.  Of course, this was not a half-hearted attempt at turning himself from a living human being into a divine warrior, but this was a conclusion that Kagetora (Lord Kenshin's earlier name) reached after a very long period of wandering doubts and reflections. I think this is the reason why Uesugi Kenshin was so feared as the incarnation of Bishamonten. "

オリンピックを二連覇してなお、戦いの場に戻ってきてくれた結弦くん。コロナ禍の孤独の中にあってどん底から這い上がり、全日本という戦いの場に挑む決意をした結弦くん。

27歳の時に出家を決意したのに再び戦場に舞い戻られた謙信公の決意というものに、26歳の結弦くんの決意が重なって感じられるのは私だけでしょうか・・・。

全日本に出る、という決意をした結弦くんの気持ち。意味のない戦はしなかったという謙信公の価値観と、毘沙門天の化身となって再び戦地に舞い戻られた謙信公の決意とが、何かあの全日本の「天と地と」の演技に重なり合い、伝わってきたような気がします。

After winning the Olympics for the second time in a row, Yuzuru-kun had returned back to the battlefield.  After falling to the bottom in the loneliness of Covid pandemic, he has crawled up again to challenge the battlefield of All Japan Nationals.  

Is it only me who feels that this determination of the 26-year-old Yuzuru-kun overlaps with the determination of Lord Kenshin, who decided to go into Buddhist priesthood at the age of 27, but returned to the battlefield again?

Yuzuru-kun's feelings when he decided to return to the All Japan Nationals.  Lord Kenshin's principles not to fight meaninglessly and Kenshin's determination to return to the battlefield as an incarnation of Bishamonten.  (These two visions) appeared to overlap and were transmitted through the performance of "Ten to Chi to" at the Japan Nationals.  

19 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

That's Yuzu's relaxation position. He probably even takes naps like this. :LOL:

It seems that Yuzu has had this habit of balancing on one leg for a long time. When he was interviewed by the local Sendai TV station in 2010 following his World Junior Championship victory, he said that he had a weird habit of wanting to stand on one leg. "I want to get good balance so I stand like this." (At approximately 10:09 of this 14:21 video.)

10 hours ago, Henni147 said:

I honestly don't know what a certain (very probably former) idol of Yuzu is up to, but his behavior has reached an all-time low this weekend.

Looking at the latest results at a certain national competition, I feel more and more confident that Yuzu has a serious chance to win in Beijing. He just needs to stay calm, do his thing and wait patiently for his rivals to collapse under the pressure. Sure, it's hard to prove yourself, when everyone is talking trash about you. But I think, it's even harder to live up to the expectations, when everyone is praising you to the skies.

I agree. I seriously have such a good feeling about Beijing. I've been having this feeling for a while now, but when Yuzu came out of nowhere to the Japanese National and did THAT, it felt to me like a confirmation that he's going for a third Olympic gold medal.

And the sheer confidence, presence and maturity that he emanated gave me such a strong feeling that he will likely become the Olympic champion in Beijing. Yuzu seemed to have reached such a stable state of zen. He is a man who has achieved perfect mastery of his craft and is at peace with himself.

And the two new programs suit him perfectly. He can express his true self with these programs. This is him in all his glory.

And with his experience and mental and emotional strength, it's very likely that be will be the most unfazed in the run-up to the Olympic games. :dancingpooh:

14 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

Yuzu came out of nowhere to the Japanese National and did THAT, it felt to me like a confirmation that he's going for a third Olympic gold medal.

Mmmm, this is exactly the trap that everybody fell into (me includig), consciously or not, before WC19. "He managed to do it once while disadvantaged, so he should be able to do it second time too, right?" while totally forgeting, that he is still disadvantaged.

I think if you watch FS long enough the only thing CERTAIN about this sport is ...nothing's certain. Fans can be so hype when he's done good for one comp and conveniently forget the rollercoaster before PC: he won Worlds pre PC (with 2 superb programs that are somewhat similar to the combo we're having)=> at his BEST condition during the summer => new SP record => land 4Lz. And what happened later? Broke his ankle=>WD 3 consecutive comps =>went to PC with painkiller. 

It was bottom of hell I think even the most confident Fanyu can't be confident about his chance of winning then.

So what can we say now when we don't even enter Worlds pre Oly yet? The most truthful answer is NOTHING.

7 hours ago, monchan said:

I think if you watch FS long enough the only thing CERTAIN about this sport is ...nothing's certain. Fans can be so hype when he's done good for one comp and conveniently forget the rollercoaster before PC: he won Worlds pre PC (with 2 superb programs that are somewhat similar to the combo we're having)=> at his BEST condition during the summer => new SP record => land 4Lz. And what happened later? Broke his ankle=>WD 3 consecutive comps =>went to PC with painkiller. 

It was bottom of hell I think even the most confident Fanyu can't be confident about his chance of winning then.

So what can we say now when we don't even enter Worlds pre Oly yet? The most truthful answer is NOTHING.

True, anything can happen between now and the Olympics. Heck, anything can even happen during the Olympics.

However, I do share some of the optimism regarding Yuzu's current mental and physical state. He seemed so self-assured in his performance despite the incredibly tough year he'd had, and it's just so heartening to see him gain trust in his training again after watching him lose so much of his self-confidence during the past two seasons.

To be honest, most of my worries regarding the Olympics are due to the horrendous judging. Even if Yuzu were to compete at his peak physical and mental condition, as long as his competitors don't fall or stumble, I'm not sure he'd win. His base value would have to be so much higher than others' to compensate for the undoubtedly high GOE and PCS they would get. It would just be heartbreaking to see him give his all and then get robbed due to biased scoring.

Despite all that, somehow...I can't help but have hope that he'll win. He's gone through so many ups and downs before, and the downs were so down that it almost seemed impossible to rise back up, and yet he did it multiple times throughout his career. He's beaten the odds before, and I'm hoping that the universe somehow aligns once more to make his life even more dramatic with a third win to serve Yuzu and all of us an incredibly satisfying win. It'd almost be karmic justice at this point, after all the things he's gone through and the things that have been said about him this Olympic cycle.

7 hours ago, monchan said:

Well, my mom said right after NHK that Nathan will mess up and Yuzu will pull a miracle in PyeongChang. And so it happened.

Now everyone was worried about Yuzu's first pancake at JNats (myself included). My mom was confident that he will have two great performances. And so it happened.

She has some sort of 6th sense, when it comes to Yuzu. And again, she feels that Nathan will collapse under the ultra hype by the media and anger of many fans, while Yuzu will be positively driven by the urge to remind everyone, who the true boss is. She just might be right one more time...

From the other skaters' point of view this situation is usually like this:

Yuzuru, the anticipated favorite, is tough to beat.

Yuzuru, the unpredictable hunter, is the worst nightmare.

EDIT: